2016년 1월 14일 목요일

Humour wit Satire of the Seventeenth Century 89

Humour wit Satire of the Seventeenth Century 89


There was an olde woman that had but one tooth in her head, &
that did ake very sore, she went to Master _Scogin_ for remedy. Come
with me, mother, said _Scogin_, & you shall be healed by & by. He then
got a packthreed, and went to the Smiths forge with the woman, and
he said to the Smith, I pray you, heate me a Coulter in your Forge. I
will, said the Smith. Then he went to the old woman, and said, Mother,
let me see your tooth, and she did so: he took his packthreed and
bound it fast about the tooth, & tyed the other end of the thred at
the ring of the forge doore, whereat the Smith used to tie his horses
& mares, and when the Coulter was glowing hot, _Scogin_ tooke the
Coulter and ran with it against the old woman, saying; Why dost thou
stand here like an old mare? I will run thee through with this hot
Coulter. The woman being afraid, gave a braid[F. 227] with her head,
and ran her way, & left her tooth behind her. _Scogin_ ran after the
woman, and she cryed out for helpe (for she was afraid that _Scogin_
would have burnt her.) The Smith ran after _Scogin_ for his Coulter,
for he was afraid that _Scogin_ would run away with it.
 
[Footnote 227: A start, a toss of the head.]
 
 
[94.] One perswaded a Scholar that was much given to rambling, and
going abroad, to sell or put away his Cushion, and it would be a means
to make him sit harder to his study.
 
 
[26.] A Scholar in _Oxford_ was often sent to by a Citizen for
Money, which he pretended was due to him, and finding his answer not
according to expectation he took the boldness and went to him himself,
and modestly said to him in private: Sir, There's some Money betwixt
you and I. Say you so, says the Scholar, I pray where is it? we'll
divide it if you please. Sir, says he, I have taken your word for it
hitherto. Truly, says he, so you are like to do till you are paid.
 
 
[4.] A young lad being chid by his Uncle, for lying a Bed so long in
a Morning, telling him that such a one had found a Purse of Money by
rising early in the Morning: I, says the Lad smartly, but he rose too
early that lost it.
 
 
[110.] Maister _Hobson_ on a time in company of one of his neighbors,
roade from London towards Sturbridge faire, so the first night of
there jorny they lodged at _Ware_ in an Inne where great store of
Company was, and in the morning when every man made him ready to
ride, and some were on horsbacke setting forward, the Cittizen, his
neighbour found him sitting at the Inne gate, booted and spurd, in a
browne studdy, to whome hee saide, for shame, Maister _Hobson_, why
sitte you heare, why doe you not make your selfe redy to horsebacke,
that we may set forward with company? Maister Hobson replyed in this
manner, I tarry (quoth he) for a good cause. For what cause? quoth his
neighbour. Mary, quoth Maister _Hobson_, here be so many horses, that
I cannot tell which is mine owne, and I know well, when every man is
ridden and gone, the horse that remaneth behind, must needs be mine.
 
 
[17.] A Puritan coming to a Cheese mongers to buy Cheese, when he gave
him a tast, he put his hat before his eyes, to say Grace; Nay, says
he, I see instead of tasting my Cheese, you intend to make a meal of
it.
 
 
 
 
The BEGGARS
 
CHORUS
 
IN THE JOVIAL CREW.
 
 
To an excellent New Tune.[F. 228]
 
[Illustration]
 
 
There was a jovial Beggar, [119.]
he had a wooden Leg,
Lame from his Cradle,
and forced for to Beg;
_And a Begging we will go, we'll go, we'll go,
And a Begging we will go._
 
A Bag for my Oatmeal,
another for my Salt,
A little pair of Crutches,
to see how I can halt;
_And a Begging, &c_
 
A Bag for my Bread,
another for my Cheese,
A little Dog to follow me,
to gather what I leese.
_And a Begging &c_
 
A Bag for my Wheat,
another for my Rye,
A little Bottle by my side,
to drink when I'm a dry.
_And a Begging we will go, we'll go, we'll go,
And a Begging we will go._
 
To _Pimlico_ we'll go,
where merry we shall be,
With ev'ry Man, a Can in's hand,
and a Wench upon his knee.
_And a Begging &c_
 
Seven years I served
my old Master Wild,
Seven years I begged
whilst I was but a Child
_And a begging &c_
 
I had the pretty knack
for to wheedle and to cry,
By young and by old
much pitied e'er was I.
_And a begging &c_
 
Fatherless and Motherless
still was my Complaint,
And none that ever saw me
but took me for a Saint.
_And a begging &c_
 
I begg'd for my Master,
and got him store of Pelf,
But _Jove_ now be praised,
I now beg for myself.
_And a begging &c_
 
Within a hollow Tree
I live, and pay no Rent,
Providence provides for me,
and I am well content.
_And a begging &c_
 
Of all occupations
a Beggar lives the best,
For when he is a weary,
he'll lie him down and rest.
_And a begging &c_
 
I fear no Plots against me,
but live in open Cell;
Why who woud be a King
when a Beggar lives so well?
_And a begging &c._
 
_Printed for_ R. Brooksby _at the_ Golden Ball _in_ Pye-Corner.
 
[Footnote 228: For tune, see Appendix.]
 
 
[67.] A Company went to an Inne without money, when ye reckoning was
to be pay'd, one called his hostesse, asking her what it was: she said
two shillings. Then he askt her what one should pay for bloodshed:
she answered ten groats. Then, said he, cut my finger and give me y^e
rest[F. 229] againe.
 
[Footnote 229: _i.e._ give me the change.]
 
 
[52.] One _Dromo_, a certaine Tiler, sitting upon a ridge of a House,
laying on certaine roofe tiles, looking backe, and reaching somewhat
too far for a little morter, that lay by him, fell backward and by
good hap, fell upon a man that was sitting under the house, whom with
his fall he bruised to death, but thereby saved his owne life. Not
many dayes after, a sonne of the dead mans, caused this man to be
apprehended for murther, and, having him before the Judge, cried unto
the Judge for justice: who asking the prisoner what hee could say for
himselfe, received this answer. Truly, Sir, I never thought the man
any hurt, neither did I thinke to fall: but since it was my hap to hit
upon him to save my life, if it please your Lordship, I am contented
that he shall have justice; for my selfe, I had no malice to his
father, though I see he hath a great deale to me: but let him doe his
worst, I care not, I aske no favour: let him go up to the top of the
house where I sate, and I will sit where his father sate; let him fall
from the place as cunningly as hee can, and fall upon mee to save his
life, I will bee contented. The Judge seeing the mans innocency,
and how farre he was from intent of any evill to the man whom he
had slaine, willed the complainant to take this course for his
contentment: which he refusing, was dismissed the Court, and the
Prisoner thus by his wity answer released.
 
 
[110.] There was a certaine farmer that lost forty pounds betwixt
_Cambridge_ and _London_, and being so great a summe, he made
proclamation in all market Townes there abouts, that whosoever had
found forty and five pounds, should have the five pounds for his
labour for finding it, and therefore he put in the five pound more
than was lost. It was Maister _Hobsons_ fortune to find the same
sum of forty pounds, and brought the same to the baylive of _Ware_ &
required the five pounds for his paines, as it was proclaymed. When
the country farmer understood this, and that he must needs pay five
pounds for the finding, he sayd that there was in the purse five and
forty pounds, and so would hee have his owne mony and five pounds
over. So long they strove, that the matter was brought before a
Justice of the Peace, which was one Maister _Fleetwood_, who after
was Recorder of London; but when Maister _Fleetwood_ understood by the
bayleife that the proclamation was made for a purse of five and forty
pound, he demanded where it was. Here, quoth the baylie, and gave
it him. Is it just forty pound? said Maister _Fleetwood_. Yes truly,
(quoth the bayleife) Here maister _Hobson_, sayd Ma. _Fleetwood_, take
you this mony for it is your owne, and if you chance to find a purse
of five and forty pound, bring it to this honest farmer. That is mine,
quoth the farmer, for I lost just forty pound. You speake too late
(quoth Maister _Fleetwood_). Thus the farmer lost the mony, and
maister _Hobson_ had it according to justice.
 
 
[67.] Mr. French the King's Fisher, beeing a Widower, married a young
woman, and shortly died, on whom one made this distich.

댓글 없음: