2016년 1월 10일 일요일

Humour wit Satire of the Seventeenth Century 11

Humour wit Satire of the Seventeenth Century 11


"If the joy of the parents was great in the hope of a Childe, how much
greater may wee conjecture their sorrowes were, to be the parents of
such a monster: but considering with themselves what Heavens would
have, they had not power to hinder, and studying (as farre as in them
lay) to conceale their shame, they so farre mediated with the Midwife
and the other women that were present at the delivery, that they
should keepe it as close and secret as it was possible to doe: and
they called the name of it _Tannikin_, which is as much in English as
_Anne_ or _Hannah_. . . . . . . . . . . .
 
"This prodigious birth though it was knowne to some few, yet it was
not made popular & spoken of by all, which the Father and Mother for
their owne reputations and credits were very carefull to maintaine; so
that it was never seene by any (being an infant bare-fac'd) but vail'd
and covered, and so brought up in a private Chamber, both fed and
taught by the Parents onely; and her deformity scarce knowne to any of
the Servants: and as the daughter grew in stature, so the Father
also increased with wealth, so that he was accounted to be one of the
richest men in all that Country. . . . . . . . .
 
"It is credibly reported, that this Burgess wife having conceived, an
old woman suspected for a Witch came to begge of her an Almes, but she
being at that (time) busied about some necessary affaires gave her
a short and neglectfull answer; at which she went away muttering to
herselfe the Divell's _Pater noster_, and was heard to say; _As the
Mother is Hoggish, so Swinish shall be the Child shee goeth withall_:
which is a great probability that the infants deformity came by the
malitious Spells and divelish murmurations of this wicked woman;
who, after, for the like, or worse practises both upon men women
and children whom she had bewitched unto death, being brought within
compasse of the Law; and after to suffer at the stake; amongst many
other things confessed as much as I have before related; yet either
out of her perverse obstinacy would not, or else (the Devill
forsaking her in extreamity, as he doth all his other servants) in her
deficiency of power, could not uncharme her: yet by this means that
which was before kept so private, was now publickly discovered to
the World; insomuch that much confluence of people came to see the
progedy, which wearied the Father, and cast a blush upon the cheekes
of the good woman the mother: some desirous to heare her speake, whose
language was onely the Dutch Hoggish Houghs, and the Piggs French
Owee, Owee, for other words she was not able to utter; which bred
in some, pitty, in others laughter, according to their severall
dispositions.
 
"Others were importunate to see her feede, then milke and the like
was brought unto her in a Silver Trough; to which she stooped and eate
just as a Swine doth in his swilling Tub; which the more mirth it bred
in the Spectators, increased in the Parents the more Melancholy."
 
From this part the tract gets more and more romantic. An astrologer
was consulted, and he advised her being married, when her cure _might_
be effected. So the parents gave out that she would have a dowry of
£40,000 paid down on her marriage. Then follows a list of her suitors,
and after an episode which has nothing to do with the matter in hand,
the tract winds up: "I should have spoken something of her residing
in or about _London_, as of her being in _Black Friers_, or _Covent
Garden_, but I can say little: onely abundance of people doe resort to
each place to enquire the truth: some have protested they have seene
her, by the helpe of their acquaintance and give this reason why she
will not as yet be Constantly in one place, because the multitude is
so great that doe resort thither that they dare not be knowne of her
abiding, lest by denying the sight of her, they that own the house
should have it pulled down about their eares. Her portion is very
large, it being 40,000 pounds; she likewise goeth very gallant in
aparrell, and very courteous in her kind to all. And whoever shall in
Pamphlet, or Ballad, write or sing otherwise than is discoursed of in
this small Tract, they erre from truth: for what is here discovered,
is according to the best and most approved Intelligence."
 
[Footnote 31: Some time between 25th June and 29th September
1881.]
 
[Footnote 32: A wonderful lithographic facsimile by Francis
Compton Price, Esq., is in the British Museum, 12205. h.,
catalogued under the heading _Skinker_.]
 
[Footnote 33: Francis Grove published between 1620 and 1655.]
 
 
 
 
The Long-Nos'd LASS
 
or
 
The _Taylors_, _Millers_, _Tinkers_, _Tanners_, and _Glovers_; with
a great number of other Tradesmen, dash't out of Countenance by
a SOW-SHIPS Beauty, to their great discontent, and her perpetual
trouble.
 
 
Tune of _The Country Farmer_.
 
This may be printed R. P.
 
 
[Illustration]
 
O did you not hear of a Rumor of late, [22.]
Concerning a person whose Fortune was great;
Her portion was Seventeen thousand good pound,
But yet a good Husband was not to be found:
The reason of this I will tell to you now,
Her visage was perfectly just like a Sow,
And many to Court her came flocking each day,
But seeing her, straight they run frighted away.
 
Amongst all the rest, a fine _Taylor_ also,
Resolv'd to this person a Suitor to go;
Quoth he, at the present, alas I am poor,
Of Silver and Gold I shall then have good store:
Tis _Cowcomber_[F. 34] time, and I now have no Trade,
But if I do get her, I then shall be made,
Therefore I will put on the best of my Cloaths,
My Hat, with my Band, and my _Holyday_ Hose.
 
The hopes of this Fortune his fancy did feed,
And therefore to her he did hasten with speed,
When coming, he straight for this person did ask,
She came her own self in a fine Visor, Mask;
And said, I am she, Sir, pray what would you have?
I'm come, quoth the _Taylor_, your Love for to crave;
She open'd the door, and bid him welcome in,
And then to his Courting he straight did begin.
 
The _Taylor_ went on with a noble good grace,
Like one of much Courage his Love to Embrace;
Thought he, with a Fortune I now shall be blest,
But, listen, I pray, to the Cream of the Jest:
She pull'd off her Vizor, and turn'd her about,
And straightway the _Taylor_ beheld her long Snout;
Ah! how he was frighted and run out of door,
And vow'd he would never come near her no more.
 
The next was a Miller who to her did Ride,
Resolved he was for to make her his Bride;
Quoth he, as I now am a right honest Man,
I'le Wed her and Love her as well as I can;
For Beauty, O let it be now as it will,
As long as she brings me good Grist to the Mill;
Both Silver and Gold I shall have at Command,
With which I will Purchase me Houses and Land.
 
I now in conceit am as great as a Lord,
What pleasures soever the World can afford,
I'le have it, and likewise in Silver will shine,
Then _Gillian_ will wonder to see me so fine:
To _Robin_ my Servant, I'le give my great Bowl,
With which I was formerly us'd to take Toll,
And likewise the Mill, if I marry this Maid,
For never no more will I follow the Trade.
 
As he was a riding to her on his Mare,
He thus was a building Castles in the air;
But when he beheld her most amiable Face,
Alas! he was soon in a sorrowful Case;
His hopes were confounded, away he did run,
Saying, should I have her, a thousand to one.
But I shall be frighted, when her I behold,
Therefore I'le not have her for Silver or Gold.
 
Both _Tinkers_ and _Tanners_ and _Glovers_ also
Came to her, the Money encouraged them so;
Nay, thousands came to her then every day,
Each striving to carry this Beauty away:
But when they beheld this most ordinary stuff,
The sight of her Visage did give them enuff;
Yet if she be Marry'd while here she does live,
A perfect account of the Wedding I'le give.
 
Printed for _P. Brooksby_[F. 35] at the _Golden Ball_ in _Pye Corner_.
 
[Footnote 34: _i.e._ People had their summer clothes, and
business was slack until the autumn.]
 
[Footnote 35: He published from 1672 to 1695.]
 
 
[17.] Says one, why is thy Beard so brown, and thy head so white?
_Cause_, says he, _my head is twenty years older than my beard_.
 
 
[4.] A Tinker coming through _Cornhill_, and sounding briskly on his
kettle, _Have you any Work for a Tinker?_ A Grocer that thought to
put a Jest upon him (there being a Pillory near his door) bid him stop
those two Holes, pointing to the Pillory: to whom the Tinker smartly
replyed, _Sir, if you will lend me your Head and Ears, I will find a
Hammer and Nails, and give you my Work into the bargain_.
 
 
_A Dialogue concerning Hair, between a Man and a Woman._
 
M.
 
Ask me no more why I do wear [13.]
My Hair so far below my ear:[F. 36]
For the first Man that e're was made
Did never know the Barbers Trade.
 
W.
 
Ask me no more where all the day
The foolish Owl doth make her stay:
Tis in your Locks; for tak't from me,
She thinks your hair an Ivy tree.

댓글 없음: