2016년 1월 14일 목요일

Humour wit Satire of the Seventeenth Century 86

Humour wit Satire of the Seventeenth Century 86


For when that he perceived
his Wife in such a rage,
Nor knowing how, nor which way
his fury to asswage:
He cunningly got from her,
and to the chamber went,
Thinking himself to poyson,
for that was his intent;
So coming to the bottle,
which I spoke of before,
He thought it to be poyson,
which hung behind the door:
He vow'd to drink it all up,
and end his wretched life,
Rather than live in thraldom,
with such a cursed Wife.
 
So opening of a window, which
stood towards the South,
He took the bottle of sack,
and set it to his mouth:
Now will I drink this poyson,
(quoth he) with all my heart;
So that the first draught he drunk on't
he swallowed near a quart:
The second time that he set
the bottle to his snout,
He never left off swigging,
till he had suckt all out:
Which done, he fell down backward
like one bereft of life,
Crying out, I now am poysoned
by means of my cursed Wife.
 
Quoth he, I feel the poyson
now run through every vein,
It rumbles in my belly,
and it tickles in my brain;
It wambles in my stomack,
and it molifies my heart,
It pierceth through my members,
and yet I feel no smart;
Would all that have curst wives,
example take hereby,
For I dye as sweet a death sure,
as ever man did dye:
'Tis better with such poyson,
to end a wretched life,
Than to live, and be tormented
with such a wicked Wife.
 
Now see what followed after,
his Wife by chance did walk,
And coming by the window,
she heard her _Simon_ talk;
And thinking on her bottle,
she up the stairs did run,
And came into the chamber,
to see what he had done;
When as she saw her Husband,
lying drunk upon his back,
And the bottle lying by him,
but never a drop of sack:
I am poyson'd, I am poyson'd,
quoth he, long of my Wife,
I hope I shall be at quiet
now I have lost my life.
 
Pox take you, are you poyson'd,
(quoth she) I now will strive,
And do my best endeavour
to make you run alive:
With that a quill of powder
she blew up in his nose,
Then like a man turn'd antick,
he presently arose;
So down the stairs he run straight,
into the open street,
With hooping and hollowing,
to all that he did meet;
And with a loud voice cryed out,
I am raised from death to life,
By virtue of a powder, that
was given me by my Wife.
 
Some folks that did behold him,
were in a grievous fear,
For seeing of a Madman,
they durst not him come near:
He leaped and he skipped,
thorow fair and thorow foul,
Whilst the people gaz'd upon him
like pyce upon an owl:
His Wife she followed after,
thorow thick, and thorow thin,
And with a basting cudgel
she soundly bang'd his skin:
And thus poor _Simon_ cryed out
I'm raised from death to life,
By virtue of a powder, that
was given me by my Wife.
 
At last a friend of _Simon's_
which was to him some kin,
By fair and kind persuasions,
open'd door and let him in;
He sent for _Simon's_ Wife, and
so made them both good friends,
Who kindly kist each other,
and so all discord ends;
The Neighbours all rejoyced
to see them thus agreed,
And like a loving couple
to bed they went with speed.
No doubt but _Simple Simon_
that night well pleas'd his wife,
For ever since that time, he
hath lived a quiet life.
 
_London_: Printed by and for _W. Onley_,[F. 222] and
_A. Melbourn_;[F. 223] and sold by the Booksellers of
_Pye Corner_ and _London Bridge_.
 
[Footnote 222: Published between 1650 and 1702.]
 
[Footnote 223: Published between 1670 and 1697.]
 
 
[93.] _George_ (_Peele_) was making merry with three or foure of his
friends in Pye Corner; where the Tapster of the house was much given
to Poetrie: for he had ingrossed The Knight of the Sunne, Venus
and Adonis, and other Pamphlets which the Stripling had collected
together; and knowing _George_ to be a Poet, he tooke great delight in
his company, and out of his bounty would bestow a brace of Cannes of
him. _George_ observing the humour of the Tapster, meant presently to
worke upon him. What will you say, quoth _George_ to his friends, if,
out of this spirit of the Cellar, I fetch a good Angell, that shall
bid us all to supper. We would gladly see that quoth his friends.
Content your selfe, quoth _George_. The Tapster ascends with his two
Cannes, delivers one to Master _Peele_, and the other to his friends:
gives them kind welcome: but _George_, in stead of giving him thankes,
bids him not to trouble him: and beginnes in these termes: I protest,
Gentlemen, I wonder you will urge me so much; I sweare I have it not
about me. What is the matter? quoth the Tapster. Hath any one angered
you? No, faith, quoth _George_, Ile tell thee, it is this: There is
a friend of ours in Newgate, for nothing but onely the command of the
Justices, and he being now to be released, sends to me to bring him an
Angell: now the man I love dearely well; and if hee want tenne Angels
he shall have them; for I know him sure: but heere's the misery,
either I must goe home, or I must be forced to pawne this; and pluckes
an old Harry-groat out of his pocket. The Tapster lookes upon it: Why,
and it please you, Sir, quoth he, this is but a groat. No, Sir, quoth
_George_, I know it is but a groat: but this groat will I not lose for
forty pound: for this groat had I of my mother, as a testimony of a
Lease of a House I am to possesse after her decease; and if I should
lose this groat, I were in a faire case: and either I must pawne this
groat, or there the fellow must lye still. Quoth the Tapster, If it
please you, I will lend you an Angell on it, and I will assure you it
shall bee safe. Wilt thou? quoth _George_; as thou art an honest man,
locke it up in thy Chest, and let me have it whensoever I call for
it. As I am an honest man, you shall, quoth the Tapster. _George_
delivered him his groat; the Tapster gave him ten shillings: to the
Taverne goe they with the money, and there merrily spend it. It fell
out, some time after, the Tapster, having many of these lurches,[F. 224]
fell to decay, and indeede was turned out of service, having no more
coine in the world than this groat, and in this misery, hee met
_George_, as poore as himselfe. O, Sir, quoth the Tapster, you are
happily met; I have your groat safe, though since I saw you last, I
have bid great extremitie; and I protest, save that groat, I have not
any one penny in the world; therefore I pray you, Sir, helpe me to my
money, and take your pawne. Not for the World, quoth George: thou
saist thou hast but that Groat in the world: my bargaine was, that
thou shouldst keepe that groat, untill I did demand it of thee: I ask
thee none. I will doe thee farre more good; because thou art an honest
fellow, keepe thou that groat still, till I call for it: and so doing,
the proudest Jacke in England cannot justifie that thou art not worth
a groat; otherwise, they might: and so, honest Michael, farewell. So
George leaves the poore Tapster picking of his fingers, his head full
of proclamations what he might doe: at last sighing, hee ends with
this Proverbe
 
For the price of a Barrel of Beere
I have bought a groats worth of wit,
Is not that deare?

댓글 없음: