2016년 1월 22일 금요일

The Lions Whelp 55

The Lions Whelp 55



"Go home, my dear," he said softly. "All that can be done I will do,
and without delay. You believe in the God of your fathers, and you pray
to Him?"
 
"Yes, sir."
 
"Then pray for Cluny Neville. I may speak, but it is God that setteth
the prisoner free. His blessing be on you. I am glad to have seen your
face, I am truly. A good-day to you!"
 
Matilda curtsied and went out. Her cheeks burned, her heart was flooded
with a thousand feelings. She marveled most at herself; all her scorn
had turned into respect, all her hatred into something very like
affection. Yet mingling with these new-born emotions was an intense
contempt for herself. "A nice Royalist you are, Matilda de Wick!" she
muttered angrily. "You went on your knees to the Regicide! You gave
him your cheek to kiss! You shed tears! You asked his pardon! You
contemptible woman, I am ashamed of you! The man is a wizardhe has a
charm from the devilwhy did I go into his presence? I hope I may be
able to keep the secret of my own fall. I vow it is as deep as Eve’s!
I am mortified beyond words,and if Cymlin knew, what volumes there
would be in his eyes and his mouth, andhis silence!"
 
And yet there was in her heart a strong belief that this time Cromwell’s
inquiries would be as effective as they were sure to be prompt. Indeed
the first thing the Protector did, was to dictate the following letter
to Mazarin:
 
 
"TO His EMINENCE CARDINAL MAZARIN,
 
"Sir:In a manner most providential it has been made known to me that
Lord Neville is at this present moment in the Bastile prison. I know
not why my friends should be treated as enemies, seeing that I have been
faithful to you in all difficulties. Truly my business is now to speak
things that I will have understood. The danger is great, if you will be
sensible of it, unless Lord Neville be put at once in charge of those by
whom I send this message. For if any harm come to him, I will make
inquisition for his lifefor every hair of his head that falls
wrongfully to the ground. And in regard to sending more troops to
Boulogne against the Spaniards, look not for them, unless, by the grace
of God and your orders, Lord Neville is presently, and without
hinderance, in England. Then, I will stand with you, and I do hope that
neither the cruelty, nor malice of any man will be able to make void our
agreement concerning the Spaniard; for as to the young man’s return, it
is the first count in it, and I shallI mustsee that he is restored to
that freedom of which he has been unjustly deprived. It cannot be
believed that your Eminency has had anything to do with this deed of
sheer wickedness, yet I must make mention of the jewels which
disappeared with Lord Neville, and the money, and the papers. As for
the two last items I make no demand, seeing that particular persons may
have spent the one and destroyed the other; but I have certain knowledge
that the jewels are in the possession of mademoiselle your Eminency’s
niece. I have some reluctance to write further about them, believing
that you will look more particularly than I can direct, into this
matter. By the hand of my personal friend, General Swaffham, I send
this; and in all requisites he will stand for
 
"Sir, "Your Eminency’s
"Most Humble Servant,
"OLIVER P."
 
 
When this letter was sealed, he sent for Israel, and telling him all
that he had heard, bade him take twelve of their own troop, go to Paris,
and bring back Cluny with them. Israel was very willing. He had always
believed Mazarin had, at least, guilty knowledge of Cluny’s murder; and
all he asked was, that his daughter might be kept in ignorance until
hope became a certainty, either of life or death.
 
Cromwell’s summons affected Mazarin like thunder out of a clear sky. He
had forgotten Lord Neville. It was necessary to bring to him the papers
relating to the mission on which he had come, and even then he was
confused, or else cleverly simulated confusion. But he had to do with a
man, in many respects, more inflexible than Cromwell.
 
"I will make inquiries," he said to Israel. "In two or three daysor a
week——"
 
"I must be on my way back to London, sir, in two or three days."
 
"I cannot be hurried,I have much other business."
 
"I have only this business in Paris, sir; but it is a business of great
haste. This very hour, if it please your Eminence, I would make
inquiries at the Bastile."
 
"It does not please me. You must wait."
 
"Waiting is not in my commission, sir. I am to work, or to return to
London without an hour’s delay. Lord Neville is particularly dear to
his Highness; and if my inquiries meet not with attention,on the
moment,I am instructed to waste no time. We must then conclude the
envoy of the Commonwealth of England has been robbed and slain, and it
will be the duty of England to take redress at once."
 
"You talk beyond your commission."
 
"Within it, sir."
 
"Retire to the anteroom. They will serve you with bread and wine while
I make some inquiries."
 
"It is beyond my commission to eat or drink until I have had speech with
Lord Neville. I will wait in this presence, the authority of your
Eminence," and Israel let his sword drop and leaned upon it, gazing
steadfastly the while into the face of the Cardinal. The twelve
troopers with him, followed as one man, his attitude, and even Mazarin’s
carefully tutored composure could not long endure this silent battery of
determined hearts and fixed eyes. He gave the necessary order for the
release of Lord Cluny Neville,"if such a prisoner was really in the
Bastile,"and sending a body of his own Musketeers with it, directed
Israel to accompany them.
 
"These insolent, domineering English!" he muttered; "and this Cromwell,
by grace of the devil, their Protector! If I get not the better of them
yet, my name is not Mazarin. As for the young man, I meant not this long
punishment; I wanted only his papers. As for the jewels, I was not told
they came out of his bag,I did suspect, but what then? I am too much
given to suspicions, and the jewels were rare and cheap, and Hortense
became them well. I will not give up the jewelsthe man may go, but the
jewels? I fear they must go, also, or Spain will have her way. Cromwell
wants an excuse to withdraw, I will not give him it. And by Mary! I am
sorry for the young man. I meant not such injury to him; I must make
some atonement to the saints for it."
 
This sorrow, though brief and passing, was genuine; cruelty was perhaps
the one vice unnatural to Mazarin, and he was relieved in what he called
his conscience, when he heard that Lord Neville still lived,if such
bare breathing could be called life. For the Bastile seemed to be the
Land of Forgetfulness. The Governor had so forgotten Cluny, that his
name called up no recollection. He did not know whether he was in the
prison or not. He did not know whether he was alive or dead. The head
gaoler also had forgotten. Men lost their identity within those walls.
The very books of the prison had forgotten Cluny. Their keeper grew
cross, and positive of Neville’s non-entering, as volume after volume
refused to give up his name. But Israel and his men, standing there so
determined and so silent, forced him to go back and back, until he came
to that fateful day when, before the dawning, the young man had been
driven within those terrible gates.
 
"On whose order?" asked Israel, speaking with sharp authority.
 
"On the order of his Eminence, Cardinal Mazarin," was the answer.
 
"I thought so;" then turning to the head gaoler he added, "you have the
order for release. We are in haste."
 
"Time is not counted here. We know not haste," was the answer.
 
"Then," said Israel, flaming into passion, "you must learn how to
hasten. I give you ten minutes to produce Lord Neville. After that
time, I shall return to his Eminence and report your refusal to obey
him."
 
The gaoler had never before been accosted in such language. As word by
word was translated to his intelligence, he manifested an unspeakable
terror. It was impossible for him to conceive the manner of man and the
strange authority that dared so to address the head gaoler of the
Bastile. He left the chamber at once, and within the time named there
were sounds heard which made all hearts stand still,the slow movement
of feet hardly able to walk,the dismal clangor of iron, and anon the
mournful sound of a human voice. But nothing could have prepared
Cluny’s comrades for the sight of their old companion. His tall form
was attenuated to the last point; his eyes, unaccustomed to much light,
would not at once respond, they looked as if they had lost vision; his
hair straggled unkempt over his shoulders, and the awful pallor of the
prison on his face and neck and hands was more ghastly than the pallor
of death. His clothing had decayed; it hung in shreds about his limbs;
but there was a glimmer of his old self in the pitiful effort he made,
as soon as conscious of human presence, to lift up his head and carry
himself without fear. An irrepressible movement of arms, a low wail of
pity, met him as he entered the room, and he looked before him, anxious,
intent, but not yet seeing anything distinctly.
 
"_Cluny! Cluny! Cluny!_" cried Israel; and then Cluny distinguished
the buff and steel uniforms, and knew who it was that called him. A
long, sharp cry of agony, wonder, joy, answered the call, and he fell
senseless into Israel’s arms.
 
They brought him wine, they lifted him to the open window, they laid
bare the skeleton form of his chest, they called him by name in voices
so full of love and pity that his soul perforce answered their
entreaties. Then the Governor offered him some clothing, but Israel put
it passionately away. They were worse than Babylonish garments in his
sight; he would not touch them. He asked only for a public litter, and
when it was procured, they laid Cluny in it, and his comrades bore him
through the streets of Paris to their lodging on the outskirts of the
city.
 
When they left the gates of the prison there was a large gathering of
men, and it increased as they proceeded,a pitiful crowd, whose very
silence was the highest eloquence. For they understood. Cluny lay prone
and oblivious to their vision. They had seen him come from the Bastile.
He was dead, or dying, and these angry, weeping soldiers were his
comrades. They began to mutter, to exclaim, to voice their sympathy
more and more intelligibly. Women, praying and weeping audibly, joined
the procession, and Israel foresaw the possibility of trouble. He felt
that in some way order must be restored, and inspired by the wisdom
within, he raised his hands and in a loud, ringing voice, began the
favourite hymn of his troopers; and to the words they had been used to
sing in moments of triumphal help or deliverance they carried Cluny,
with the solemn order of a religious service, safely into their camp.
For when the hymn began, the crowd followed quietly, or dropped away, as
the stern men trod in military step to their majestic antiphony:

댓글 없음: