2016년 3월 28일 월요일

in good company 28

in good company 28


Yet there is this to be said of Wilde’s vanity, that its very
nakedness was its best excuse. A loin-cloth, a fig-leaf would have
offended, but it was so artlessly naked that one merely smiled and
passed on. Moreover, it was never a jealous or a malicious vanity.
It was so occupied in admiring itself in the mirror that the smile
on its face was never distorted into a scowl at sight of another’s
success. Wilde’s vanity, I repeat, was as entirely free from venom
as was his wit. No one’s comments on society, on the men and women
he met, the authors he read, were more incisive or more caustic, but
I remember none in which the thought was slanderous or the intention
spiteful.
 
_A propos_ of Wilde’s vanity, here is a story told me long ago by
Lieutenant-Colonel Spencer, who then held a post of some sort in
connection with the Masters in Lunacy. Visiting the Zoological
Gardens one day--in his private capacity, I assume, not in
connection with the Lunacy Commission--he entered the Monkey House.
Within the big cement wire enclosure a certain liveliness--the war
phrase seems to have come to stay--was evident. What it was all about
Colonel Spencer did not know, but with one exception the occupants
were very excited, leaping wildly from end to end of the cage, and
from top to bottom, jabbering, groaning, snarling, emitting shrill
shrieks of terror or hoarse howls of rage.
 
The one exception was an evil-looking and elderly monkey which sat
humped and brooding in a corner, absolutely motionless except for
the twitching of his nostrils and the angry way in which he switched
his eyes first upon what he apparently thought to be the staring
human idiots outside, and then at the capering and noisy monkey
imbeciles within. “What’s the matter with that monkey?” Colonel
Spencer inquired of a keeper. “Is he ill? He seems too bored even
to scratch.” The keeper shook his head. “No, he isn’t ill, sir,”
he answered. “Wot’s the matter with ’im, sir? Why, wanity.” Then
stirring up the sulking monkey with his cane, he added, “’Ere, get
up--Hoscar Wilde!”
 
One day it was Wilde’s caprice to amuse himself by talking the most
blatantly insincere nonsense, directed against my own political
views, and deliberately intended to “draw” me. He was in his most
exasperating mood, exuding, or affecting to exude, egotism at every
pore, and fondling, or making pretence to fondle, his vanity as
some spinsters fondle a favourite cat. At last I could stand it no
longer, and wickedly told him the story of Colonel Spencer’s visit
to the Monkey House at the Zoo and the keeper’s comment about the
sulky monkey. “Wot’s the matter with ’im, sir? Why, wanity. ’Ere, get
up--Hoscar Wilde.”
 
So far from being annoyed, Wilde simply rocked, or affected to rock
with delight.
 
“I hoped once,” he said, “to live to see a new shape in
chrysanthemums or sunflowers, or possibly a new colour in roses, blue
for choice, called after me. But that one’s name should percolate
even to the Zoological Gardens, that it should come naturally to the
lips of a keeper in the Monkey House, is fame indeed. Do remind me
to tell George Alexander the story. It will make him so dreadfully
jealous.”
 
And I answered grimly:
 
“Your game, Wilde!”
 
 
II
 
My friendship with Wilde was literary in its beginnings. Flattered
vanity on my part possibly contributed not a little to it, for when I
was a young and--if that be possible--a more obscure man even than I
am now, Wilde, already famous, was one of the very first to speak an
encouraging word. Here is the first letter I received from him:
 
16 TITE STREET, CHELSEA.
 
DEAR MR. KERNAHAN,
 
If you have nothing to do on Wednesday, will you come and dine at
the Hotel de Florence, Rupert Street, at 7.45--morning dress, and
chianti yellow or red!
 
I am charmed to see your book is having so great a success. It is
strong and fine and true. Your next book will be a great book.
 
Truly yours,
OSCAR WILDE.
 
This letter, it will be observed, is undated. Apparently Wilde
never dated his letters, for of all the letters of his which I have
preserved not a solitary one bears a date, other perhaps than the
name of the day of the week on which it was written, and that only
rarely. He had the impudence once at a dinner-party, when taken to
task by a great lady for not having answered a letter, to reply:
 
“But, my dear lady, I never answer or write letters. Ask my friend
there, whose faithful correspondent I am.” Then turning to me, he
said, “Tell Lady ---- when you heard from me last.”
 
As I had heard from him that morning, I dissembled by saying:
 
“How can I answer that, Wilde, for among my other discoveries of the
eccentricities of genius I have discovered that genius, at least as
represented by you, never dates its letters. I never had one from you
that was dated.”
 
Not long after the receipt of this first letter, I proposed to write
what I may call a “grown-up fairy story,” and asked Wilde whether
I might borrow as sub-title a phrase I had once heard him use of a
fairy tale of his own making--“A Story for Children from Eight to
Eighty.” He replied as follows, then, as always, with a capital _D_
for “dear”:
 
16 TITE STREET,
CHELSEA, S.W.
 
MY DEAR KERNAHAN,
 
I am only too pleased that any little phrase of mine will find a
place in any title you may give to any story. Use it, of course.
I am sure your story will be delightful. Hoping to see you soon.
 
Your friend,
OSCAR WILDE.
 
My story written and published, I despatched it cap in hand
to carry my acknowledgments to the teller of supremely lovely
fairy stories--imagined, not invented--from whom my own drab and
homespun-clad little tale had impudently “lifted” a beautiful
sub-title to wear, a borrowed plume, in its otherwise undecorated hat.
 
Here is Wilde’s very characteristic reply. It needs no signature to
indicate the writer. No other author of the day would have written
thus graciously and thus generously:
 
16 TITE STREET,
CHELSEA, S.W.
 
MY DEAR KERNAHAN,
 
I should have thanked you long ago for sending me your charming
Fairy Tale, but the season with its red roses of pleasure has
absorbed me quite and I have almost forgotten how to write a
letter. However, I know you will forgive me, and I must tell you
how graceful and artistic I think your story is--full of delicate
imagination, and a symbolism suggestive of many meanings, not
narrowed down to one moral, but many-sided, as I think symbolism
should be.
 
But your strength lies not in such graceful winsome work. You
must deal directly with Life--modern terrible Life--wrestle with
it, and force it to yield you its secret. You have the power and
the pen. You know what passion is, what passions are. You can
give them their red raiment and make them move before us. You can
fashion puppets with bodies of flesh and souls of turmoil, and so
you must sit down and do a great thing.
 
It is all in you.
 
Your sincere friend,
OSCAR WILDE.
 
That Wilde was an artist in flattery as well as an egotist, is not
to be denied, but when quite early in our friendship I was shown by
a certain woman poet a presentation copy of Wilde’s book of poems
inscribed “To a poet and a poem,” and within the next few weeks saw
upon a table in the drawing-room of a very beautiful and singularly
accomplished woman, the late Rosamund Marriott-Watson (“Graham
Tomson”), who was a friend of Wilde’s and mine, a fine portrait of
himself also inscribed “To a poet and a poem,” I was not so foolish
as to take too seriously the flattering things he said.
 
Egotist as Wilde was, his was not the expansive egotism which, in
spreading its wings to invite admiration, seeks to eclipse and to
shut out its fellow egotists from their own little place in the
sun. Most egotists are eager only for flattery and applause. Wilde
was equally eager, but he was ready for the time being to forget
himself and his eagerness in applauding and flattering others. Not
many egotists of my acquaintance, especially literary egotists,
write letters like that I have quoted, in which there is no word of
himself, or of his own work, but only of his friend.
 
The last letter I ever received from Wilde is in the same vein. It
is as usual undated, but as the play to which it refers was his
first, _Lady Windermere’s Fan_, I am, by the assistance of Mr. Stuart
Mason’s admirably compiled _Oscar Wilde Calendar_, enabled to fix the
date as the middle of February, 1892.
 
HOTEL ALBEMARLE,
PICCADILLY, LONDON.
 
MY DEAR KERNAHAN,
 
Will you come and see my play Thursday night. I want it to be
liked by an artist like you.
 
Yours ever,
O. W.
 
Wilde came to see me, I think, the morning after the production of
the play, or at all events within a morning or two after, and hugged
himself with delight when, in reply to his question, “Do tell me what
you admired most in the play,” I said:
 
“Your impudence! To dare to come before the footlights in response to
enthusiastic calls--smoking a cigarette too--and compliment a British
audience on having the unexpected good taste--for your manner said as
plainly as it could, ‘Really, my dear people, I didn’t think you had
it in you!’--to appreciate a work of art on its merits! You are a
genius, Wilde, in impudence at least if in nothing else.”

댓글 없음: