2016년 3월 28일 월요일

The Tory Lover 42

The Tory Lover 42


"No, no, she would never talk of her trials; ’t was not her way,"
protested Madam Wallingford, and a shadow crossed her face. "’T was her
only happiness to forget such things. I can see her sitting in the sun
with a fescue in her hand, teaching the little children. They needed
bravery in those old days; nothing can haunt us as their fear of sudden
assault and savage cruelty must have haunted them."
 
Mary thought quickly enough of that angry mob which had so lately
gathered about her old friend’s door, but she said nothing. The Sons of
Liberty and their visit seemed to have left no permanent discomfort in
Madam’s mind. "No, no!" said the girl aloud. "We have grown so
comfortable that even war has its luxuries; they have said that a common
soldier grows dainty with his food and lodging, and the commanders are
daily fretted by such complaints."
 
"There is not much comfort to be had, poor fellows!" exclaimed Madam
Wallingford rebukingly, as if she and Mary had changed sides. "Not at
your Valley Forge, and not with the King’s troops last year in Boston.
They suffered everything, but not more than the rebels liked."
 
Mary’s cheeks grew red at the offensive word. "Do not say ’rebels’!" she
entreated. "I do not think that Mistress Hetty Goodwin would side with
Parliament, if she were living still. Think how they loved our young
country, and what they bore for it, in those early days!"
 
"’T is not to the purpose, child!" answered the old lady sharply. "They
were all for England against France and her cruel Indian allies; I meant
by ’rebels’ but a party word. Hetty Goodwin might well be of my mind;
too old to learn irreverence toward the King. I hate some of his
surrounders,I can own to that! I hate the Bedfords, and I have but
scorn for his Lord Sandwich or for Rockingham. They are treating our
American Loyalists without justice. Sir William Howe might have had
five thousand men of us, had he made proclamation. Fifty of the best
gentlemen in Philadelphia who were for the Crown waited upon him only to
be rebuffed."
 
She checked herself quickly, and glanced at Mary, as if she were sorry
to have acknowledged so much. "Yes, I count upon Mr. Fox to stand our
friend rather than upon these! and we have Mr. Franklin, too, who is
large-minded enough to think of the colonies themselves, and to forget
their petty factious and rivalries. Let us agree, let us agree, if we
can!" and Madam Wallingford, whose dignity was not a thing to be lightly
touched, turned toward Mary with a winning smile. She knew that she
must trust herself more and more to this young heart’s patience and
kindness; yes, and to her judgment about their plans. Thank God, this
child who loved her was always at her side. With a strange impulse to
confess all these things, she put out her frail hand to Mary, and Mary,
willingly drawing a little closer, held it to her cheek. They could
best understand each other without words. The girl had a clear mind,
and had listened much to the talk of men. The womanish arguments of
Madam Wallingford always strangely confused her.
 
"Mr. Franklin will ever be as young at heart as he is old in years,"
said the lady presently, with the old charm of her manner, and all
wistfulness and worry quite gone from her face. She had been
strengthened by Mary’s love in the failing citadel of her heart. "’Tis
Mr. Franklin’s most noble gift that he can keep in sympathy with the
thoughts and purposes of younger men. Age is wont to be narrow and to
depend upon certainties of the past, while youth has its easily gathered
hopes and quick intuitions. Mr. Franklin is both characters at once,as
sanguine as he is experienced. I knew him well; he will be the same man
now, and as easy a courtier as he was then content with his thrift and
prudence. I trust him among the first of those who can mend our present
troubles.
 
"I beg you not to think that I am unmindful of our wrongs in the
colonies, Mary, my dear," she added then, in a changed voice. "’T is
but your foolish way of trying to mend them that has grieved me,you who
call yourselves the Patriots!"
 
Mary smiled again and kept silence, but with something of a doubtful
heart. She did not wish to argue about politics, that sunny day on the
sea. No good could come of it, though she had a keen sense that her
companion’s mind was now sometimes unsettled from its old prejudices and
firm beliefs. The captain was a stanch Royalist, who believed that the
rebels were sure to be put down, and that no sensible man should find
himself left in the foolish situation of a King’s antagonist, or suffer
the futility of such defeat.
 
"Will Mistress Davis look like her mother, do you think?" Mary again
bethought herself to return to the simpler subject of their
conversation.
 
"Yes, no doubt; they had the same brave eyes and yet strangely timid
look. ’T is a delicate, frail, spirited face. Our cousin Davis would
be white-headed now; she was already gray in her twenties, when I last
saw her. It sometimes seems but the other day. They said that Mistress
Goodwin came home from Canada with her hair as white as snow. Yes,
their eyes were alike; but the daughter had a Goodwin look, small
featured and neatly made, as their women are. She could hold to a
purpose and was very capable, and had wonderful quickness with figures;
’t is common to the whole line. Mistress Hetty, the mother, had a
pleasing gentleness, but great dignity; she was born of those who long
had been used to responsibility and the direction of others."
 
Mary laughed a little. "When you say ’capable,’ it makes me think of
old Peggy, at home," she explained. "One day, not long ago, I was in
the spinning room while we chose a pattern for the new table linen, and
she had a child there with her; you know that Peggy is fond of a little
guest. There had been talk of a cake, and the child was currying favor
lest she should be forgotten.
 
"’Mrs. Peggy,’ she piped, ’my aunt Betsey says as how you ’re a very
capering woman!’
 
"’What, what?’ says Peggy. ’Your aunt Betsey, indeed, you mite! Oh, I
expect ’t was capable she meant,’ Peggy declared next moment, a little
pacified, and turned to me with a lofty air. ’Can’t folks have an
English tongue in their heads?’ she grumbled; but she ended our high
affairs then, and went off to the kitchen with the child safe in hand."
 
"I can see her go!" and Madam Wallingford laughed too, easily pleased
with the homely tale.
 
"Ah, but we must not laugh; it hurts my poor heart even to smile," she
whispered. "My dear son is in prison, we know not where, and I have
been forgetting him when I can laugh. I know not if he be live or dead,
and we are so far from him, tossing in the midseas. Oh, what can two
women like us do in England, in this time of bitterness, if the
Loyalists are reckoned but brothers of the rebels? I dreamed it was all
different till we heard such tales in Halifax."
 
"We shall find many friends, and we need never throw away our hope,"
said Mary Hamilton soothingly. "And Master Sullivan bade me remember
with his last blessing that God never makes us feel our weakness except
to lead us to seek strength from Him. ’T was the saying of his old
priest, the Abbé Fénelon."
 
They sat silent together; the motion of the ship was gentle enough, and
the western breeze was steady. It seemed like a quiet night again; the
sun was going down, and there was a golden light in the thick web of
rigging overhead, and the gray sails were turned to gold color.
 
"It is I who should be staying you, dear child," whispered Madam
Wallingford, putting out her hand again and resting it on Mary’s
shoulder, "but you never fail to comfort me. I have bitterly reproached
myself many and many a day for letting you follow me; ’t is like the
book of Ruth, which always brought my tears as I read it. I am far
happier here with you than I have been many a day at home in my lonely
house. I need wish for a daughter’s love no more. I sometimes forget
even my great sorrow and my fear of our uncertainty, and dread the day
when we shall come to land. I wish I were not so full of fears. Yet I
do not think God will let me die till I have seen my son."
 
Mary could not look just then at her old friend’s fragile figure and
anxious face; she had indeed taken a great charge upon herself, and a
weakness stole over her own heart that could hardly be borne. What
difficulties and disappointments were before them God only knew.
 
 
"Dear child," said Madam Wallingford, whose eyes were fixed upon Mary’s
unconscious face, "is it your dreams that keep your heart so light? I
wish that you could share them with the heavy-hearted like me! All this
long winter you have shown a heavenly patience; but your face was often
sad, and this has grieved me. I have thought since we came to sea that
you have been happier than you were before."
 
"’T was not the distresses that we all knew; something pained me that I
could not understand. Now it troubles me no more," and Mary looked at
the questioner with a frank smile.
 
"I am above all a hater of curious questions," insisted the lady. But
Mary did not turn her eyes away, and smiled again.
 
"I can hold myself to silence," said Madam Wallingford. "I should not
have spoken but for the love and true interest of my heart; ’twas not a
vulgar greed of curiosity that moved me. I am thankful enough for your
good cheer; you have left home and many loving cares, and have come with
me upon this forced and anxious journey as if it were but a holiday."
 
Mary bent lower over her sewing.
 
"Now that we have no one but each other I should be glad to put away one
thought that has distressed me much," confessed the mother, and her
voice trembled. "You have never said that you had any word from Roger.
Surely there is no misunderstanding between you? I have sometimes
fearedOh, remember that I am his mother, Mary! He has not written
even to me in his old open fashion; there has been a difference, as if
the great distance had for once come between our hearts; but this last
letter was from his own true heart, from his very self! The knowledge
that he was not happy made me fearful, and yet I cannot brook the
thought that he has been faithless, galling though his hasty oath may
have been to him. Oh no, no! I hate myself for speaking so dark a
thought as this. My son is a man of high honor." She spoke proudly,
yet her anxious face was drawn with pain.
 
Mary laid down her piece of linen, and clasped her hands together
strongly in her lap. There was something deeply serious in her
__EXPRESSION__, as she gazed off upon the sea.
 
"It is all right now," she said presently, speaking very simply, and not
without effort. "I have been grieved for many weeks, ever since the
first letters came. I had no word at all from Roger, and we had been
such friends. The captain wrote twice to me, as I told you; his letters
were the letters of a gentleman, and most kind. I could be sure that
there was no trouble between them, as I feared sometimes at first," and
the bright color rushed to her face. "It put me to great anxiety; but
the very morning before we sailed a letter came from Roger. I could not
bring myself to speak of it then; I can hardly tell you now."

댓글 없음: