2015년 5월 27일 수요일

Tales of King Arthur and the Round Table 12

Tales of King Arthur and the Round Table 12



"Fair lords," said Sir Bors, "you shall not speak such words, for never
yet have I heard that she was the destroyer of good Knights. But at all
times, as far as I ever knew, she maintained them and gave them many
gifts. And therefore it were a shame to us all if we suffered our noble
King's wife to be put to death, and I will not suffer it. So much I will
say, that the Queen is not guilty of Sir Patrise's death; for she owed
him no ill will, and bade him and us to the dinner for no evil purpose,
which will be proved hereafter. And in any case there was foul dealing
among us."
 
"We may believe your words," said some of the Knights, but others held
that he spoke falsely.
 
The days passed quickly by until the evening before the battle, when the
Queen sent for Sir Bors and asked him if he was ready to keep his
promise.
 
"Truly, Madam," answered he, "I shall not fail you, unless a better
Knight than I am come to do battle for you. Then, Madam, I am discharged
of my promise."
 
"Shall I tell this to my lord Arthur?" said the Queen.
 
"If it pleases you, Madam," answered Sir Bors. So the Queen went to the
King, and told him what Sir Bors had said, and the King bade her to be
comforted, as Sir Bors was one of the best Knights of the Round Table.
 
The next morning the King and Queen, and all manner of Knights, rode
into the meadow of Westminster, where the battle was to be; and the
Queen was put into the charge of the High Constable, and a stout iron
stake was planted, and a great fire made about it, at which the Queen
should be burned if Sir Mador de la Porte won the fight. For it was the
custom in those days that neither fear nor favour, love nor kinship,
should hinder right judgment. Then came Sir Mador de la Porte, and made
oath before the King that the Queen had done to death his cousin Sir
Patrise and he would prove it on her Knight's body, let who would say
the contrary. Sir Bors likewise made answer that Queen Guenevere had
done no wrong, and that he would make good with his two hands. "Then get
you ready," said Sir Mador. "Sir Mador," answered Sir Bors, "I know you
for a good Knight, but I trust to be able to withstand your malice; and
I have promised King Arthur and my Lady the Queen that I will do battle
for her to the uttermost, unless there come forth a better Knight than I
am."
 
"Is that all?" asked Sir Mador; "but you must either fight now or own
that you are beaten."
 
"Take your horse," said Sir Bors, "for I shall not tarry long," and Sir
Mador forthwith rode into the field with his shield on his shoulder, and
his spear in his hand, and he went up and down crying unto King Arthur,
"Bid your champion come forth if he dare." At that Sir Bors was ashamed,
and took his horse, and rode to the end of the lists. But from a wood
hard by appeared a Knight riding fast on a white horse, bearing a shield
full of strange devices. When he reached Sir Bors he drew rein and said,
"Fair Knight, be not displeased, but this battle must be to a better
Knight than you. For I have come a great journey to fight this fight, as
I promised when I spoke with you last, and I thank you heartily for your
goodwill." So Sir Bors went to King Arthur and told him that a Knight
had come who wished to do battle for the Queen. "What Knight is he?"
asked the King.
 
"That I know not," said Sir Bors; "but he made a covenant with me to be
here this day, and now I am discharged," said Sir Bors.
 
Then the King called to that Knight and asked him if he would fight for
the Queen. "For that purpose I came hither," replied he, "and therefore,
Sir King, delay me no longer, for as soon as I have ended this battle I
must go hence, as I have many matters elsewhere. And I would have you
know that it is a dishonour to all the Knights of the Round Table to let
so noble a lady and so courteous a Queen as Queen Guenevere be shamed
amongst them."
 
The Knights who were standing round looked at each other at these words,
and wondered much what man this was who took the battle upon him, for
none knew him save Sir Bors.
 
[Illustration: ARTHUR AND GUENEVERE KISS BEFORE ALL THE PEOPLE]
 
"Sir," said Sir Mador de la Porte unto the King, "let me know the name
of him with whom I have to do." But the King answered nothing, and made
a sign for the fight to begin. They rode to the end of the lists, and
couched their spears and rushed together with all their force, and Sir
Mador's spear broke in pieces. But the other Knight's spear held firm,
and he pressed on Sir Mador's horse till it fell backward with a great
fall. Sir Mador sprang from his horse, and, placing his shield before
him, drew his sword, and bade his foe dismount from his horse also, and
do battle with him on foot, which the unknown Knight did. For an hour
they fought thus, as Sir Mador was a strong man, and had proved himself
the victor in many combats. At last the Knight smote Sir Mador
grovelling to his knees, and the Knight stepped forward to have struck
him flat upon the ground. Therewith Sir Mador suddenly rose, and smote
the Knight upon the thigh, so that the blood ran out fiercely. But when
the Knight felt himself wounded, and saw his blood, he let Sir Mador
rise to his feet, and then he gave him such a buffet on the helm that
this time Sir Mador fell his length on the earth, and the Knight sprang
to him, to unloose his helm. At this Sir Mador prayed for his life,
acknowledging that he was overcome, and confessed that the Queen's
innocence had been proved. "I will only grant you your life," said the
Knight, "if you will proclaim publicly that you have foully slandered
the Queen, and that you make no mention, on the tomb of Sir Patrise,
that ever Queen Guenevere consented to his murder." "All that will I
do," said Sir Mador, and some Knights took him up, and carried him away
to heal his wounds. And the other knight went straight to the foot of
the steps where sat King Arthur, and there the Queen had just come, and
the King and the Queen kissed each other before all the people. When
King Arthur saw the Knight standing there he stooped down to him and
thanked him, and so likewise did the Queen; and they prayed him to put
off his helmet, and commanded wine to be brought, and when he unlaced
his helmet to drink they knew him to be Sir Lancelot du Lake. Then
Arthur took the Queen's hand and led her to Sir Lancelot and said, "Sir,
I give you the most heartfelt thanks of the great deed you have done
this day for me and my Queen."
 
"My lord," answered Sir Lancelot, "you know well that I ought of right
ever to fight your battles, and those of my lady the Queen. For it was
you who gave me the high honour of Knighthood, and that same day my lady
the Queen did me a great service, else I should have been put to shame
before all men. Because in my hastiness I lost my sword, and my lady the
Queen found it and gave it to me when I had sore need of it. And
therefore, my lord Arthur, I promised her that day that I would be her
Knight in right or in wrong."
 
"I owe you great thanks," said the King, "and some time I hope to repay
you." The Queen, beholding Sir Lancelot, wept tears of joy for her
deliverance, and felt bowed to the ground with sorrow at the thought of
what he had done for her, when she had sent him away with unkind words.
Then all the Knights of the Round Table and his kinsmen drew near to him
and welcomed him, and there was great mirth in the Court.
 
 
 
 
THE FAIR MAID OF ASTOLAT.
 
 
Soon after this it befell that the damsel of the lake, called by some
Nimue and by others Vivien, wedded Sir Pelleas, and came to the Court of
King Arthur. And when she heard the talk of the death of Sir Patrise and
how the Queen had been accused of it, she found out by means of her
magic that the tale was false, and told it openly that the Queen was
innocent and that it was Sir Pinel who had poisoned the apple. Then he
fled into his own country, where none might lay hands on him. So Sir
Patrise was buried in the Church of Westminster, and on his tomb was
written, "Here lieth Sir Patrise of Ireland, slain by Sir Pinel le
Savage, that empoisoned apples to have slain Sir Gawaine, and by
misfortune Sir Patrise ate one of those apples and then suddenly he
burst." Also there was put upon the tomb that Queen Guenevere was
accused of the death of Sir Patrise by Sir Mador de la Porte, and how
Sir Lancelot fought with him and overcame him in battle. All this was
written on the tomb.
 
And daily Sir Mador prayed to have the Queen's grace once more, and by
means of Sir Lancelot he was forgiven. It was now the middle of the
summer, and King Arthur proclaimed that in fifteen days a great tourney
should be held at Camelot, which is now called Winchester, and many
Knights and Kings made ready to do themselves honour. But the Queen said
she would stay behind, for she was sick, and did not care for the noise
and hustle of a tourney. "It grieves me you should say that," said the
King, "for you will not have seen so noble a company gathered together
this seven years past, save at the Whitsuntide when Galahad departed
from the Court."
 
"Truly," answered the Queen, "the sight will be grand. Nevertheless you
must hold me excused, for I cannot be there."
 
Sir Lancelot likewise declared that his wounds were not healed and that
he could not bear himself in a tourney as he was wont to do. At this the
King was wroth, that he might not have either his Queen or his best
Knight with him, and he departed towards Winchester and by the way
lodged in a town now called Guildford, but then Astolat. And when the
King had set forth, the Queen sent for Sir Lancelot, and told him he was
to blame for having excused himself from going with the King, who set
such store by his company; and Sir Lancelot said he would be ruled by
her, and would ride forth next morning on his way to Winchester; "but I
should have you know," said he, "that at the tourney I shall be against
the King and his Knights."
 
"You must do as you please," replied the Queen, "but if you will be
ruled by my counsel, you will fight on his side."
 
"Madam," said Sir Lancelot, "I pray you not to be displeased with me. I
will take the adventure as it comes," and early next morning he rode
away till at eventide he reached Astolat. He went through the town till
he stopped before the house of an old Baron, Sir Bernard of Astolat, and
as he dismounted from his horse, the King spied him from the gardens of
the castle. "It is well," he said, smiling to the Knights that were
beside him, "I see one man who will play his part in the jousts, and I
will undertake that he will do marvels."
 
"Who is that?" asked they all. "You must wait to know that," replied the

댓글 없음: