2015년 5월 27일 수요일

Tales of King Arthur and the Round Table 13

Tales of King Arthur and the Round Table 13


"You must hold me excused as to that, just now," said Sir Lancelot, "but
if I speed well at the jousts, I will come again and tell you. But let
me have Sir Lavaine with me, and lend me, as you have offered, his
brother's shield." "This shall be done," replied Sir Bernard.
 
Besides these two sons, Sir Bernard had a daughter whom every one called
The Fair Maid of Astolat, though her real name was Elaine le Blanc. And
when she looked on Sir Lancelot, her love went forth to him and she
could never take it back, and in the end it killed her. As soon as her
father told her that Sir Lancelot was going to the tourney she besought
him to wear her token in the jousts, but he was not willing. "Fair
damsel," he said, "if I did that, I should have done more for your sake
than ever I did for lady or damsel." But then he remembered that he was
to go disguised to the tourney, and because he had before never worn any
manner of token of any damsel, he bethought him that, if he should take
one of hers, none would know him. So he said to her, "Fair damsel, I
will wear your token on my helmet, if you will show me what it is."
 
"Sir," she answered, "it is a red sleeve, embroidered in great pearls,"
and she brought it to him. "Never have I done so much for any damsel,"
said he, and gave his own shield into her keeping, till he came again.
Sir Arthur had waited three days in Astolat for some Knights who were
long on the road, and when they had arrived they all set forth, and were
followed by Sir Lancelot and Sir Lavaine, both with white shields, and
Sir Lancelot bore besides the red sleeve that was a token. Now Camelot
was filled with a great number of Kings and Lords and Knights, but Sir
Lavaine found means to lodge both himself and Sir Lancelot secretly with
a rich burgess, and no man knew who they were or whence they came. And
there they stayed till the day of the tourney. At earliest dawn the
trumpets blew, and King Arthur took his seat upon a high scaffold, so
that he might see who had done best; but he would not suffer Sir Gawaine
to go from his side, for Sir Gawaine never won the prize when Sir
Lancelot was in the field, and as King Arthur knew, Sir Lancelot
oftentimes disguised himself.
 
[Illustration: ELAINE TIES HER SLEEVE ROVND SIR LANCELOT'S HELMET]
 
Then the Knights formed into two parties and Sir Lancelot made him
ready, and Elaine fastened the red sleeve upon his helmet. Then he and
Sir Lavaine rode into a little wood that lay behind the Knights who
should fight against those of the Round Table. "Sir," said Sir Lancelot,
"yonder is a company of good Knights and they hold together as boars
that are vexed with dogs."
 
"That is truth," said Sir Lavaine.
 
"Now," said Sir Lancelot, "if you will help me a little, you shall see
King Arthur's side, which is winning, driven back as fast as they came."
 
"Spare not, Sir," answered Sir Lavaine, "for I shall do what I may." So
they rode into the thickest of the press, and smote so hard both with
spear and sword that the Knights of the Round Table fell back. "O
mercy!" cried Sir Gawaine, "what Knight is that yonder who does such
marvellous deeds?"
 
"I know well who it is," said King Arthur, "but I will not tell you
yet."
 
"Sir," answered Sir Gawaine, "I should say it was Sir Lancelot by the
blows he deals and the manner that he rides, but it cannot be he, for
this man has a red sleeve upon his helmet, and Sir Lancelot has never
borne the token of any lady."
 
"Let him be," said Sir Arthur, "you will find out his name, and see him
do greater deeds yet, before he departs." And the Knights that were
fighting against the King's party took heart again, for before they
feared they would be beaten. But when Sir Bors saw this, he called unto
him the Knights that were of kin to Sir Lancelot, and they banded
together to make a great charge, and threw Sir Lancelot's horse to the
ground, and by misfortune the spear of Sir Bors broke, and its head was
left in Sir Lancelot's side. When Sir Lavaine saw that, he unhorsed the
King of Scots, and brought his horse to Sir Lancelot, and helped him to
mount thereon and gave him a spear, with which Sir Lancelot smote Sir
Bors to the earth and Sir Ector de Maris, the foster-father of King
Arthur, and buffeted sorely the Knights that were with them. Afterward
he hurled himself into the thick _mêlée_ of them all, and did the most
wonderful deeds that ever were heard of. And Sir Lavaine likewise did
well that day, for he smote down full two Knights of the Round Table.
"Mercy," again cried Sir Gawaine to Arthur, "I marvel what Knight that
is with the red sleeve."
 
"That you shall know soon," said King Arthur, and commanded that the
trumpets should be blown, and declared that the prize belonged to the
Knight with the white shield, who bare the red sleeve, for he had
unhorsed more than thirty Knights. And the Kings and Lords who were of
his party came round him and thanked him for the help he had given them,
by which means the honours of the day had been theirs.
 
"Fair Lords," said Sir Lancelot, "if I have deserved thanks, I have paid
for them sorely, for I shall hardly escape with my life, therefore I
pray you let me depart, for my hurt is grievous." Then he groaned
piteously, and galloped from them to a wood's side, followed by Sir
Lavaine. "Oh help me, Sir Lavaine," said he, "to get this spear's head
out of my side, for it is killing me." But Sir Lavaine feared to touch
it, lest Sir Lancelot should bleed to death. "I charge you," said Sir
Lancelot, "if you love me, draw out the head," so Sir Lavaine drew it
out. And Sir Lancelot gave a great shriek, and a marvellous grisly
groan, and his blood flowed out so fast that he fell into a swoon. "Oh
what shall I do?" cried Sir Lavaine, and he loosed Sir Lancelot's helm
and coat of mail, and turned him so that the wind might blow on him, but
for full half an hour he lay as if he had been dead. And at last Sir
Lancelot opened his eyes, and said, "O Lavaine, help me on my horse, for
two miles from this place there lives a hermit who once was a Knight of
the Round Table, and he can heal my wounds." Then Sir Lavaine, with much
ado, helped him on his horse, and brought him bleeding to the hermit.
The hermit looked at him as he rode up, leaning piteously on his
saddle-bow, and he thought that he should know him, but could not tell
who he was for the paleness of his face, till he saw by a wound on his
cheek that it was Sir Lancelot.
 
"You cannot hide your name from me," said the hermit, "for you are the
noblest Knight in the world, and well I know you to be Sir Lancelot."
 
"Since you know me, Sir," said he, "help me for God's sake, and for
death or life put me out of this pain."
 
"Fear nothing," answered the hermit, "your pain will soon be gone," and
he called his servants to take the armour off the Knight, and laid him
in bed. After that he dressed the wound, and gave him good wine to
drink, and Sir Lancelot slept and awoke free of his pain. So we will
leave him to be healed of his wound, under the care of the hermit, and
go back to King Arthur.
 
Now, it was the custom in those days that after a tourney was finished,
a great feast should be held at which both parties were assembled, so
King Arthur sent to ask the King of Northgalis, where was the Knight
with the red sleeve, who had fought on his side. "Bring him before me,"
he said, "that he may have the prize he has won, which is his right."
Then answered the King with the hundred Knights, "We fear the Knight
must have been sore hurt, and that neither you nor we are ever like to
see him again, which is grievous to think of."
 
"Alas!" said King Arthur, "is he then so badly wounded? What is his
name?"
 
"Truly," said they all, "we know not his name, nor whence he came, nor
whither he went."
 
"As for me," answered King Arthur, "these tidings are the worst that I
have heard these seven years, for I would give all the lands I hold that
no harm had befallen this Knight."
 
"Do you know him?" asked they all.
 
"Whether I know him or not," said King Arthur, "I shall not tell you,
but may Heaven send me good news of him." "Amen," answered they.
 
"By my head," said Sir Gawaine, "if this good Knight is really wounded
unto death, it is a great evil for all this land, for he is one of the
noblest that ever I saw for handling a sword or spear. And if he may be
found, I shall find him, for I am sure he is not far from this town;" so
he took his Squire with him, and they rode all round Camelot, six or
seven miles on every side, but nothing could they hear of him. And he
returned heavily to the Court of King Arthur.
 
Two days after the King and all his company set out for London, and by
the way, it happened to Sir Gawaine to lodge with Sir Bernard at
Astolat. And when he was in his chamber, Sir Bernard and his daughter
Elaine came unto Sir Gawaine, to ask him tidings of the Court, and who
did best in the tourney at Winchester.
 
"Truly," said Sir Gawaine, "there were two Knights that bare white
shields, but one of them had a red sleeve upon his helm, and he was one
of the best Knights that ever I saw joust in the field, for I dare say
he smote down forty Knights of the Table Round."
 
"Now blessed be God," said the Maid of Astolat, "that that Knight sped
so well, for he is the man in the world that I loved first, and he will
also be the last that ever I shall love."
 
"Fair Maid," asked Sir Gawaine, "is that Knight your love?"
 
"Certainly he is my love," said she.
 
"Then you know his name?" asked Sir Gawaine.
 
"Nay, truly," answered the damsel, "I know neither his name, nor whence
he cometh, but I love him for all that."
 
"How did you meet him first?" asked Sir Gawaine. At that she told him
the whole story, and how her brother went with Sir Lancelot to do him
service, and lent him the white shield of her brother Sir Tirre and left
his own shield with her. "Why did he do that?" asked Sir Gawaine.
 
"For this cause," said the damsel, "his shield was too well known among
many noble Knights."
 
"Ah, fair damsel," said Sir Gawaine, "I beg of you to let me have a
sight of that shield."
 
"Sir," answered she, "it is in my chamber covered with a case, and if
you will come with me, you shall see it."

댓글 없음: