2016년 3월 28일 월요일

in good company 18

in good company 18


I never saw thee living, oh, my brother,
But on thy breast my lily of love now lies,
And by that token we shall know each other,
When God’s voice saith ‘Arise!’
 
“That this is very beautiful every one will admit, but is it true
to picture those who most loved Rossetti as placing Buchanan’s
lily of song in his dead hand? I think not. Nor can those
who know anything of the last days of Rossetti reconcile the
facts with Buchanan’s imaginary picture of a sort of celestial
assignation in which, by means of a lily, Rossetti and his
ancient enemy and brother poet shall identify each other on the
Last Day?
 
“I am well aware that I shall be accused of bad taste, even of
brutality, in saying this; but, as Mr. Murray himself alludes
to this ancient quarrel, I must protest that false sentiment
is equally abhorrent--as Buchanan would have been the first to
admit. Now that Buchanan has followed Rossetti where all enmities
are at an end, it is right that the truth about the matter be
spoken, and this unhappy assault and its not altogether happy
sequel be alike forgotten.
 
“Robert Buchanan’s last resting-place is within sight of the sea.
And rightly so. It is his own heart that Old Ocean seems most to
wear away in his fretting and chafing, and the wearing away of
their own heart is the most appreciable result of the warfare
which such men as Buchanan wage against the world.
 
“That he did not fulfil his early promise, that he frittered
away great gifts to little purpose, is pitifully true, but if he
flung into the face of the men whom he counted hypocrites and
charlatans, words which scorched like vitriol, he had, for the
wounded in life’s battle, for the sinning, the suffering, and the
defeated, words of helpful sympathy and an outstretched hand of
practical help.
 
“Mr. Murray has shown Buchanan to us as he was; no hero perhaps,
certainly not a saint, but a man of great heart and great brain,
quick to quarrel, but as quick to own himself in the wrong; a
man intensely, passionately human, with more than one man’s
share of humanity’s weaknesses and of humanity’s strength, a
sturdy soldier in the cause of freedom, a fierce foe, a generous
friend, and a poet who, in regard to that rarest of all gifts,
‘vision,’ had scarcely an equal among his contemporaries.
 
“I must conclude by a serious word with Mr. Murray. Disagree
with him as one may and must, one cannot but admire his fearless
honesty. None the less I am of opinion that in the following
passage Mr. Murray’s own pessimism has led him to do his dead
friend’s memory a grievous injustice.
 
“‘From the broken arc we may divine the perfect round, and it
is my fixed belief that, had the subtle and cruel malady which
struck him down but spared him for a little longer time, he would
logically have completed the evolution of so many years, and have
definitely proclaimed himself as an agnostic, perhaps even as an
atheist.’
 
“Mr. Murray’s personal knowledge of Buchanan was intimate, even
brotherly; mine, though dating many years back, was comparatively
slight. But I have read Buchanan’s books, and I know something of
the spirit in which he lived and worked, and I am convinced that
Mr. Murray is wrong. It is not always those who have come nearest
to the details of a man’s daily life, who have come nearest to
him in spirit, as Amy Levy knew well when she wrote those lines,
_To a Dead Poet_, which I shall be pardoned for bringing to my
readers’ remembrance:
 
I knew not if to laugh or weep:
They sat and talked of you--
’Twas here he sat: ’twas this he said,
’Twas that he used to do.
 
‘Here is the book wherein he read,
The room wherein he dwelt;
And he’ (they said) ‘was such a man,
Such things he thought and felt.’
 
 
I sat and sat, I did not stir;
They talked and talked away.
I was as mute as any stone,
I had no word to say.
 
They talked and talked; like to a stone
My heart grew in my breast--
I, who had never seen your face,
Perhaps I knew you best.
 
“Buchanan was, as every poet is, a creature of mood, and in
certain black moods he expressed himself in language that was
open to an atheistic interpretation. There were times when he
was confronted by the fact that, to human seeming, iniquity
prospered, righteousness went to the wall, and injustice, vast
and cruel, seemed to rule the world. To the Christian belief that
the Cross of Christ is the only key to the terrible problem of
human suffering, Buchanan was unable to subscribe, and at times
he was tempted to think that the Power at the head of things
must be evil, not good. It seems to me that at such times he
would cry out in soul-travail, ‘No! no! anything but that! If
there be a God at all He must be good. Before I would do God the
injustice of believing in an evil God, I would a thousand times
sooner believe in no God at all!’ Then the mood passed; the man’s
hope and belief in an unseen beneficent Power returned, but the
sonnet in which he had given __EXPRESSION__ to that mood remained.
And because the __EXPRESSION__ of that mood was permanent, Mr. Murray
forgets that it was no more than the __EXPRESSION__ of a mood, and
tells us that he believes, had Buchanan lived longer, he would
have become an atheist.
 
“Again I say that I believe Mr. Murray to be wrong. Buchanan,
like his own Wandering Jew, trod many dark highways and byways
of death, but he never remained--he never could have remained--in
that Mortuary of the Soul, that cul-de-sac of Despair which we
call Atheism.
 
* * * * *
 
“This is not the place in which to say it, but perhaps my editor
will allow me to add how keenly I felt, as I stood by the
graveside of Robert Buchanan in that little God’s acre by the
sea, the inadequacy of our Burial Service, beautiful as it is, in
the case of one who did not profess the Christian faith. To me it
seemed little less than a mockery to him who has gone, as well as
a torture to those who remain, that words should be said over his
dead body which, living, he would have repudiated.
 
“Over the body of one whose voice is silenced by death, we
assert the truth of doctrines which living he had unhesitatingly
rejected. It is as if we would, coward-like, claim in death what
was denied us in life.
 
“In the case of a man whose beliefs were those of Robert
Buchanan, how much more seemly it would be to lay him to rest
with some such words as these:
 
“‘To the God from Whom he came, we commend this our friend and
brother in humanity, trusting that what in life he has done
amiss, may in death be forgotten and forgiven; that what in life
he has done well, may in death be borne in remembrance. And so
from out our human love, into the peace of the Divine love, we
commend him, leaving him with the God from Whom, when we in our
turn come to depart whither he has gone, we hope to receive like
pardon, forgiveness and peace. In God’s hands, to God’s love and
mercy, we leave him.’”
 
Re-reading this article many years after it was written, I see
nothing in it to which friendship or even affection for either
Rossetti or Buchanan could reasonably object.
 
This was not the view taken by Swinburne and Watts-Dunton. It so
happened that I encountered the latter in the Strand a morning or
two later, and more in sadness than in anger he reproached me with
“disloyalty to Gabriel, disloyalty to Algernon, and disloyalty to
myself.”
 
I replied that touching Rossetti, as he did not happen to be the
King, had never so much as heard of my small existence, nor had I
ever set eyes upon him, to accuse me of disloyalty to him, to whom
I owed no loyalty, struck me as a work of supererogation. And, as
touching Swinburne and Watts-Dunton himself, honoured as I was by
the high privilege of their friendship, I could not admit that
that friendship committed me to a blind partisanship and to the
identification of myself with their literary likings or dislikings or
their personal quarrels.

댓글 없음: