2016년 3월 28일 월요일

in good company 17

in good company 17


“Ah!” he said with deep meaning--no one could put so much into an
“ah” as he--and, figuratively, collapsed.
 
 
 
 
ONE ASPECT OF THE MANY-SIDEDNESS OF THEODORE WATTS-DUNTON
 
 
I have often been asked by those who did not know Theodore
Watts-Dunton what was the secret of the singular power he appeared to
exercise over others and the equally singular affection in which he
was held by his friends.
 
My answer was that Watts-Dunton’s hold upon his friends, partly
personal as it was and partly intellectual, was chiefly due to his
extraordinary loyalty. Of old, certain men and women were supposed to
be possessed of the “evil eye.” Upon whom they looked with intent--be
it man, woman, or beast--hurt was sooner or later sure to fall.
 
If there be anything in the superstition, one might almost believe
that its opposite was true of Watts-Dunton. He looked upon others
merely to befriend, and if he did not put upon them the spell, not of
an evil but of a good eye, he exercised a marvellous personal power,
not, as is generally the case, upon weaker intellects and less marked
personalities than his own, but upon his peers; and even upon those
whom in the world’s eye would be accounted greater than he. That any
one man should so completely control, and even dominate, two such
intellects as Swinburne and Rossetti seemed almost uncanny. I never
saw Rossetti and Watts-Dunton together, for the former had been
dead some years when I first met Watts-Dunton, but my early literary
friendships were with members of the little circle of which Rossetti
was the centre, and all agree in their testimony to the extraordinary
personal power which Watts-Dunton exercised over the poet-painter.
But Swinburne--and here I speak with knowledge--Watts-Dunton
absolutely dominated. It was, “What does Walter say about it?”
“Walter thinks, and I agree with him, that I ought to do so and so,”
or, “Let us submit the matter to Watts-Dunton’s unfailing judgment.”
 
Here, for fear of a possible misunderstanding, let me say that, if
any reader assume from what I have just written that Swinburne was
something of a weakling, that reader is very much mistaken. It is
true that the author of _Atalanta in Calydon_ was a greater force
in intellect and in imagination than in will power and character,
but he was not in the habit of deferring to others as he deferred
to Watts-Dunton, and when he chose to stand out upon some point,
or in some opinion, he was very difficult to move. It was only, in
fact, by Watts-Dunton that he was entirely manageable, yet there was
never any effort, never even any intention on Watts-Dunton’s part to
impose his own will upon his friend. I have heard his influence upon
Swinburne described as hypnotic. From that point of view I entirely
dissent. Watts-Dunton held his friends by virtue of his genius for
friendship--“Watts is a hero of friendship,” Mr. William Michael
Rossetti once said of him--and by the passionate personal loyalty
of which I have never known the equal. By nature the kindest of
men, shrinking from giving pain to any living creature, he could
be fierce, even ferocious, to those who assailed his friends. It
was, indeed, always in defence of his friends, rarely if ever in
defence of himself--though he was abnormally sensitive to adverse
criticism--that he entered into a quarrel and, since dead friends
could not defend themselves, he constituted himself the champion of
their memory or of their reputation, and even steeled himself on more
than one occasion to a break with a living friend rather than endure
a slight to one who was gone. “To my sorrow,” he writes in a letter,
“I was driven to quarrel with a man I loved and who loved me, William
Minto, because he, with no ill intentions, printed certain injurious
comments upon Rossetti which he found in Bell Scott’s papers.”
 
It was my own misfortune, deservedly or undeservedly, to have a
somewhat similar experience to that of Professor Minto; but in my
case the estrangement, temporary only as it was, included Swinburne
as well as Watts-Dunton. In telling the story, and for the first
time here, I must not be supposed for one moment to imagine that any
importance attaches or could attach to a misunderstanding between
such men as Swinburne and Watts-Dunton and a scribbler of sorts like
myself, but because a third great name, that of Robert Buchanan,
comes into it.
 
It is concerned with Buchanan’s attack upon Rossetti in the famous
article _The Fleshly School of Poetry_, which appeared anonymously
(worse--pseudonymously) in the _Contemporary Review_. Not long
after Buchanan’s death I was asked to review Mr. Henry Murray’s
_Robert Buchanan and other Essays_ in a critical journal, which I
did, and Swinburne and Watts-Dunton chanced to see the article. To
say that they took exception to what I said about Buchanan, would
be no description of their attitude, for Swinburne not only took
exception but took offence and of the direst--so much so as to make
it necessary that for a season I should discontinue my visits to The
Pines.
 
And here let me interpolate that I entirely agree with Mr. James
Douglas when he says in his volume, _Theodore Watts, Poet, Novelist
and Critic_, “It would be worse than idle to enter at this time of
the day upon the painful subject of the Buchanan affair. Indeed, I
have often thought it is a great pity that it is not allowed to die
out.” But when in the next sentence Mr. Douglas goes on to say, “The
only reason why it is still kept alive seems to be that, without
discussing it, it is impossible fully to understand Rossetti’s
nervous illness about which so much has been said,” I am entirely out
of agreement with him, as the quotation which I make from my article
will show. Since Mr. Douglas _has_ reopened the matter--he could
hardly do otherwise in telling the story of Watts-Dunton’s literary
life--I have the less hesitation in reprinting part of the article
in which I endeavoured to clear Buchanan of what I held, and still
hold, to be a preposterous charge. I may add that I quite agree with
Mr. Douglas when he says that we must remember “the extremely close
intimacy which existed between these two poet friends (Rossetti and
Watts-Dunton) in order to be able to forgive entirely the unexampled
scourging of Buchanan in the following sonnet, if, as some writers
think, Buchanan was meant.”
 
Mr. Douglas then quotes the sonnet _The Octopus of the Golden
Isles_, which I do not propose here to reprint. That Buchanan was
meant is now well known, and in fact Mr. Douglas himself says in
the same chapter that Watts-Dunton’s definition of envy as the
“literary leprosy” has often been quoted in reference to the case
of Buchanan. My article on Buchanan is too long to give in its
entirety, and, even omitting the passages with no direct bearing
upon the misunderstanding which it caused, is lengthier than I could
wish. My apology is, first, that in justice to Watts-Dunton and to
Swinburne I must present their case against me ungarbled. Moreover,
as the foolish bogey-story--like an unquiet ghost which still walks
the world unlaid--that Buchanan was the cause of Rossetti taking to
drugs, the cause even of Rossetti’s death, is still repeated, and
sometimes believed, I am not sorry of another and last attempt to
give the bogey its _quietus_. Here are the extracts from my article:
 
“Mr. Murray quotes evidently with appreciation Buchanan’s tribute
to his ancient enemy Rossetti, I do not share Mr. Murray’s
appreciation, for Buchanan’s tribute has always seemed to me more
creditable to his generosity than to his judgment. He speaks of
Rossetti as ‘in many respects the least carnal and most religious
of modern poets.’
 
“Here he goes to as great an extreme as when he so savagely
attacked Rossetti as ‘fleshly.’ About this attack much nonsense
has been written. We have been told that it was the cause of
Rossetti’s taking to chloral; and I have heard even Rossetti’s
death laid at Buchanan’s door. To my thinking talk of that sort
is sheer nonsense. If Rossetti took to chloral because Buchanan
called his poetry ‘fleshly,’ Rossetti would sooner or later have
taken to chloral, had Buchanan’s article never been written. But
when Buchanan in the fulness of his remorse calls Rossetti ‘the
most religious of modern poets’ he is talking equally foolishly.
 
“Rossetti ‘the most religious of modern poets’! Why, Rossetti’s
religion was his art. To him art was in and of herself pure,
sacred, and inviolate. By him the usual order of things was
reversed. It was religion which was the handmaid, art the
mistress, and in fact it was only in so far as religion appealed
to his artistic instincts that Rossetti can be said to have had
any religion at all.
 
“And when Buchanan sought to exalt Rossetti to a pinnacle of
purity he was guilty of a like extravagance. That Rossetti’s
work is always healthy not even his most enthusiastic admirers
could contend. Super-sensuous and southern in the warmth of
colouring nearly all his poems are. Some of them are heavy with
the overpowering sweetness as of many hyacinths. The atmosphere
is like that of a hothouse in which, amid all the odorous
deliciousness, we gasp for a breath of the outer air again. There
are passages in his work which remind us far more of the pagan
temple than of the Christian cloister, passages describing sacred
rites which pertain not to the worship of the Virgin, but to the
worship of Venus.
 
“Buchanan was a man who lived heart and soul in the mood of the
moment. He had a big brain which was quick to take fire, and at
such times, both in his controversies and in his criticism, he
was apt to express himself with an exaggeration at which in his
cooler hours he would have been the first to hurl his Titanic
ridicule.
 
“It may seem ungenerous to say so, but even his beautiful
dedicatory poem to Rossetti strikes me as a lapse into false
sentiment.
 
_To An Old Enemy_
   

댓글 없음: