2016년 3월 28일 월요일

The Tory Lover 39

The Tory Lover 39



"Dear friends, it is not so bad as you think; it is because I am so full
of hope that I have come to you," she said to the anxious, kind old
faces. There was such a sweetness in the girl’s voice, and her
beautiful dress was so familiar, so belonging to the old quiet times and
happy hospitalities, that the two men felt a sharp pain of pity, and
because there was nothing else to do they came nearer to her side.
Master Sullivan looked questioningly at young Mr. Lord, but old Margery
found instinctive relief in a low, droning sort of moan, which sometimes
lifted into that Irish keening which is the voice of fear and sorrow.
She was piling all her evening fagots at once upon the fire.
 
"Speak now!" said the master. "If my old heart knows the worst, it can
begin to hope the best. What is it that could not wait for the morning
of such a night as this?"
 
"There is bad news," replied Mary; "there are letters come from the
Ranger. They have attacked a large seaport town on the coast of
England, and spread great alarm, though their chief projects were
balked. They have fought with an English frigate in the Irish Sea, and
taken her captive with some rich prizes. Roger Wallingford was left
ashore in Whitehaven. They believe on the ship that he tried to betray
his companions and warned the town; but he was badly wounded ashore, and
thrown into prison. There is a great rising of the Patriots against
Madam Wallingford, who is warned to leave the country. They threatened
her very life last night." Mary was standing now, and the quick
firelight, sprung afresh, made her look like a bright flame. The master
made a strange outcry, like a call for hidden help, and looked hastily
at the walls of the room about him, as if he sought some old familiar
weapons.
 
"I am going away with her for a time," said Mary, speaking now without
any strain or quiver in her voice. "My brother does not need me, since
he is with the army, and Mr. Lord knows our business here, if any be
left. Peggy can stand bravely for me in the house. Dear master!" and
she came close to the old man’s side; her young slender body was almost
as tall as his; she put her arm about his neck and drew down his head so
that he must look into her upturned face. "Dear master," she said, in a
low voice, "you told me once that you still had friends in England, if
the worst should come to Roger, and I think now that the worst has
come."
 
"You may bring the horses at once," said the master, turning quickly to
Mr. Lord. "Stay, Margery; you must light your old lantern and give it
him; and I would wrap you well and hold it for him to rub them off with
a wisp of thatch, and let them have a mouthful of corn to satisfy their
minds."
 
Mary felt for that one moment as if Hope were like an old frail friend
with eyes of living fire; she had known no other father than the master,
when all was said. He put her hand gently away from its unconscious
clinging hold of his shoulder, and, with a woman’s care, took the wet
cloak, as he placed her again in his own chair, and spread its dry inner
folds to the fire, so that they might warm a little.
 
Then, without speaking, he went to the shelf of books, and took from one
of them a thin packet of papers.
 
"I am an old man," he said gently. "I have been fearful of all this,
and I made ready these things, since it might some day please God to let
me die. I have heard of the fray last night, but you will find letters
here that will be of service. Come, warm you now by the fire, and put
them in the bosom of your gown. I think you will find them something
worth; but if you keep their words in your heart or near it, ’t will be
far the best. And burn them quick if there is need; but you shall read
them first, and send their messages by word of mouth, if need be.
Listen to me now; there are a few things left for me to say."
 
The girl’s face was full of a sweet relief; she did not thank him, save
with one long look, and put the packet where he had bidden her. She
looked into the fire as she listened to his counsels, and suddenly was
afraid of tears, the errand being safely done.
 
"Forgive me, sir, for this new trouble!"
 
She spoke with a different impulse and recognition from any she had
known before, and looked brave as a young soldier. This was a friend
who knew indeed the world whither she was going.
 
"Why should you not come to me?" asked the master. "’Men were born for
the aid and succor of men,’" he added with a smile. "You do not know
your Rabelais, my little lady."
 
The horses had come up; they trod the ground outside impatiently. She
knelt before the old man humbly, and he blessed her, and when she rose
she kissed him like a child, and looked long in his face, and he in
hers; then she put on her heavy cloak again, and went out into the rainy
night.
 
 
Next day, in Portsmouth, Madam Wallingford, pale and stately, and Susan,
resolute enough, but strangely apathetic, put off into the harbor from
Langdon’s wharf. They were accompanied to the shore by many friends,
whose hearts were moved at so piteous a sight. When the mistress and
maid were safe on the deck of the Golden Dolphin, Mary Hamilton stood
there before them; the beauty of her young face was like some heavenly
creature’s.
 
"I know that you said last night, when I was for bidding you farewell,
that you should see me again. I have been thinking all this morning that
you had been prevented," whispered Madam Wallingford tenderly. They
were long in each other’s arms. "I have a few things left to say; it is
impossible to remember all proper messages, at such short warning. Let
them keep the boat for Miss Hamilton, until the last moment before we
sail," she said to the captain.
 
"They are heaving up the anchor now," the captain answered. "I must not
lose this fair wind to get us out of the river."
 
Mary was impatient to speak; she cast a smiling glance at Susan, who
wore a timid look, not being used to plots, or to taking instructions
from any but her mistress.
 
"Dear friend," cried Mary then, "you must let me have my way! I could
not let you go alone. I tried to think as you bade me, but I could not.
I am going with you wherever you may go: I think it is my right. You
have short time now to give Susan your last charges, as I have given
mine to Peggy. I stay with you and Phebe with me, and Susan goes
ashore. Please God, some short weeks or months may see us sailing home
again up the river, with our errand well done!"
 
"I could not stand against them, Madam," and Susan looked more
apprehensive than triumphant, though she was grateful to Heaven to be
spared a voyage at sea. Her mistress was not one to have her own plans
set aside. "I listened well, Madam, to all you said to Rodney and the
maids. They are good girls, but they need a head over them. And I
could do nothing against Miss Mary; for Peggy, that has a love for great
ploys to be going on, and the world turned upside down, has backed her
from the first."
 
 
 
 
*XXXI*
 
*THE MILL PRISON*
 
"Lackyng my love, I goe from place to place."
 
"’Twixt every prayer he says, he names you once
As others drop a bead."
 
 
One morning late in spring the yellow primroses were still abloom on the
high moorlands above Plymouth; the chilly sea wind was blowing hard, and
the bright sunshine gave little warmth, even in a sheltered place. The
yard of the great Mill Prison was well defended by its high stockade,
but the wind struck a strong wing into it in passing, and set many a
poor half-clad man to shivering. The dreary place was crowded with
sailors taken from American ships: some forlorn faces were bleached by
long captivity, and others were still round and ruddy from recent
seafaring. There was a constant clack of sharp, angry voices. Outside
the gate was a group of idle sightseers staring in, as if these poor
Yankees were a menagerie of outlandish beasts; now and then some
compassionate man would toss a shilling between the bars, to be
pitifully scrambled for, or beckon to a prisoner who looked more
suffering than the rest. Even a south-westerly gale hardly served to
lighten the heavy air of such a crowded place, and nearly every one
looked distressed; the small-pox had blighted many a face, so that the
whole company wore a piteous look, though each new day still brought new
hopes of liberty.
 
There were small groups of men sitting close together. Some were
playing at games with pebbles and little sticks, their draughts board or
fox-and-geese lines being scratched upon the hard trodden ground. Some
were writing letters, and wondering how to make sure of sending them
across the sea. There were only two or three books to be seen in hand;
most of the prisoners were wearily doing nothing at all.
 
In one corner, a little apart from the rest, sat a poor young captain
who had lost his first command, a small trading vessel on the way to
France. He looked very downcast, and was writing slowly, a long and
hopeless letter to his wife.
 
"I now regret that I had not taken your advice and Mother’s and remained
at home instead of being a prisoner here," he had already written, and
the stiff, painfully shaped words looked large and small by turns
through his great tears. "I was five days in the prison ship. I am in
sorrow our government cares but little for her subjects. They have
nothing allowed them but what the British government gives them.
Shameful,all other nations feels for their subjects except our Country.
There is no exchange of prisoners. It is intirely uncertain when I
return perhaps not during the war. I live but very poor, every thing is
high. I hope you have surmounted your difficulties and our child has
come a Comfort to imploy your fond attention. It is hard the loss of my
ship and difficult to bare. God bless you all. My situation is not so
bad but it might be worse. This goes by a cartel would to God I could
go with it but that happiness is denied me. It would pain your tender
heart to view the distressed seamen crowded in this filthy prison, there
is kind friends howiver in every place and some hours passed very
pleasant in spite of every lack some says the gallows or the East Indias
will be our dreadful destiny, ’t would break a stone’s heart to see good
men go so hungry we must go barefoot when our shoes is done. Some eats
the grass in the yard and picks up old bones, and all runs to snatch the
stumps of our cabbage the cooks throws out. Some makes a good soup they
say from snails a decent sort that hives about the walls, but I have not
come to this I could not go it. They says we may be scattered on the
King’s ships. I hear the bells in Plymouth Town and Dock pray God ’t is
for no victoryno I hear in closing ’t is only their new Lord Mayor coming in"

댓글 없음: