2015년 5월 19일 화요일

The Heart Line 25

The Heart Line 25



Fancy talked little. The crowd, the lights, the _camaraderie_
hypnotized her. She watched first one and then another group, picking
out, for Gay’s edification, the prettiest girl and the handsomest man in
the room. She waved her hand slyly at the collarless soloist and
applauded two darkies who came in from outside to make a hideous clamor
with banjos. As she waited to be served, she nibbled at the dry French
bread and drank of the sour claret, watching over the top of her glass,
losing nothing.
 
In the middle of the room, Blanchard Cayley sat with three ladies. One
of them Fancy recognized as Miss Payson. Fancy’s eyebrows rose slightly
at seeing her, and a smile and a nod were cordially exchanged. The
others Fancy did not know. They were both pretty women, well-dressed,
with evident signs of breeding, and, as the urn waxed freer, apparently
not a little embarrassed at being seen in such a place. Miss Payson
showed no such feeling in her demeanor, however much she may have been
amused or surprised at the spirit of the place. Blanchard Cayley divided
his attentions equitably amongst them, till, looking across the room, he
caught Fancy’s errant glance. He smiled at her openly as if challenging
her roguery.
 
She boldly returned the greeting. Gay caught the glance that was
exchanged.
 
"See here, Fancy," he protested, "none of that now! He’s got all he can
do to attend to his own table. I’ll attend to this one, myself."
 
Now, this was scarcely the way to treat a girl like Fancy Gray. At her
first opportunity, she sent another smile in Cayley’s direction. It was
divided, this time, by members of his own party and the women began to
buzz together. Gay was annoyed.
 
"There’s something I like about that man," Fancy remarked presently.
"What’d you say his name was? That’s the one we saw at Zinkand’s, wasn’t
it?"
 
"There’s something I don’t like about him. He’d better mind his own
business," Gay growled, now thoroughly provoked.
 
"You can’t blame any one for noticing _me_, can you, Gay?" Her tone was
honey-sweet.
 
"I can blame you for flirting across the room when you’re here with me!"
he replied fiercely.
 
Fancy opened her eyes very wide. "Indeed?" she said with a sarcastic
emphasis.
 
"That’s right," he affirmed.
 
In answer, she cast another languishing glance toward Cayley. Cayley,
despite Clytie’s entreating hand upon his arm, sent back an unequivocal
reply.
 
"Well," said Gay, rising sullenly, "I guess it’s up to me to leave!" He
reached for his hat.
 
"Oh, Gay!" she protested in alarm, "you’re not going to throw me down
before this whole crowd, are you?" Already their colloquy had attracted
the attention of the near-by tables.
 
He hesitated a moment. "Unless you behave yourself," he said finally.
His tone of ownership decided her.
 
"Run along, then!" She gave him a smile of limpid simplicity, but her
jaws were set determinedly. "I expect I can get some one to take care
of me. Don’t mind me!"
 
Their discussion had not been unnoticed at Mr. Cayley’s table. Clytie
was watching the pair interestedly, as if reading the motions of their
lips. Fancy caught her eye and flushed a little.
 
Gay’s brows gathered together in a sullen look as he crowded his hat
upon his head savagely. He turned with a last retort:
 
"You’ll be sorry you threw me down, Fancy Gray! You want too many men on
the string at once!"
 
He turned and left her, passing sulkily along the passages between the
tables with his hat on his head, till he came to the cashier, where he
paid the bill for two dinners with lordly chivalry. Then, without
looking back, he opened the door of the restaurant and went out.
 
An instant after, Fancy was on her feet. Gay’s going had already made
her conspicuous and her flush grew deeper. Cayley watched her without
smiling, now, waiting to see what she would do. Beside him, Clytie
Payson sat watching, her lips slightly parted, her nostrils dilated,
absorbed, seeming to understand the situation perfectly, her eyes gazing
at Fancy as if to convey her sympathy. Fancy looked and saw her there,
and the sight steadied her. With all her customary nonchalance, with
all that jovial, compelling air of optimism which she usually radiated,
as if she were quite sure of her reception and came as an expected
guest, she sauntered carelessly over to the central table.
 
Her smile was dazzling as it swept about the board, meeting the eyes of
each of the women in turn. One by one it subjugated them. They even
returned it with trepidation, not too embarrassed to be keenly
expectant, waiting for the outcome. But it was for Clytie that Fancy
Gray reserved her warmest, deepest look. In that glance she threw
herself upon Miss Payson’s mercy, and appealed to the innate chivalry of
woman to woman, to the bond of sexa sentiment in finer women more
potent than jealousy.
 
Even before she spoke Clytie had arisen and stretched out her hand. In
a flash she had accepted what had run counter to all her experience, and
played up to Fancy’s audacity with a spirit that ignored the crowd, the
eyes, the whispers.
 
Who, indeed, could resist Fancy Gray in such a fantastic, tiptoe mood?
Her act, audacious, even impertinent, was so delicately achieved, she
was so sure of herself and her own charm that it was dramatic, poetic in
its confidence, picturesque. But no one could have equalled Clytie as
she arose to meet such bravado, when she shook off her reserves and took
her hand at such a psychological game. Not even Fancy Gray, with all
her superb poise. On Fancy’s cheek the color deepenedit was she who
blushed so furiously, now, not Clytie. In that flush she confessed
herself beaten at her own game.
 
"How do you do?" Clytie was saying. "We’ve been wishing all the evening
that we could have you with us. Do sit down, here, beside mewe’ll make
room for you. I want you to meet Miss Gray, Mrs. Maxwell."
 
Something in the graciousness of her manner drew the other women up to
her chivalrous level. Mrs. Maxwell bowed, smiled, too, with a word of
welcome, so did Miss Dean as she was introduced. Fancy beamed.
Meanwhile Cayley had arisen. He was the most perturbed of all. He
offered his chair.
 
"You see what you’ve done, Mr. Cayley," said Fancy. "I’ve just been
jilted for the first time in my life, and it was all your fault. I’m
afraid I shall have to butt in and ask you to protect me!"
 
It was not Fancy but Clytie who had, apparently, most surprised him. He
gave a questioning look at her as he replied, not a little confused:
 
"Won’t you sit down here in my place? There’s plenty of room. I’ll get
another chairor," he stole another glance at Clytie, "I’ll let you have
half of mine!"
 
"I accept!" said Fancy Gray.
 
Clytie smiled encouragingly. "I’ll divide mine with you, too, if you
like."
 
"You’re a gentleman! I’d much rather sit with you, Miss Payson; thank
you!" Then she looked at Clytie fondly. "I _thought_ I was right about
you! You _are_ a thoroughbred, aren’t you?"
 
"We’re educating Mr. Cayley, my dear." Clytie gave him a bright smile.
"He has a few things yet to learn about women."
 
"I plead guilty," said Cayley, watching the two with curiosity.
 
"Miss Gray and I are disciples of the same school. She gave me the
password." Clytie was fairly superbshe even outshone Fancyshe was
regal.
 
Fancy laughed. "You’re the only one who knows it, that _I_ ever met,
though."
 
"Ah," said Clytie, "then that’s the only way I can beat youI believe
many women are initiated."
 
Fancy clapped her hands softly in pantomime. Then she turned to Mrs.
Maxwell and the others. "I hope I’m not out of the frying-pan into the
fire," she said. "Please let me down easy, ladies. If you don’t make me
feel at home pretty quick, I’ll be up against it I You don’t really have
to _know_ me, you know. Only it looked to me like when he had three
such pretty women to take care of one more ought to be easy enough."
 
"We _were_ three pretty women before, perhaps, my dear, but now I’m
afraid we’re only one!" said Clytie. She herself, kindled with the
spirit of adventure, and so adequately welcoming it, was irresistible.
 
Fancy blew a pretty kiss at her. "No man would know enough to say
anything as nice as that, would he? But I’m afraid I can’t trot in your
class, Miss Payson. Why, every man in the room has been watching you
all the evening. I really ought to sit beside Mrs. Maxwell, though, to
show her off. It takes these brunettes to make me look outclassed,
doesn’t it? I used to be a brunette myself, but I reformed. Mr.
Cayley, you may hold me on, if you like. And remember, when I kick you
under the table it’s a hint for you to say something about my hands."
She laid them on the table-cloth ingenuously.
 
Clytie took one up and showed it to Mrs. Maxwell. "Did you ever see a prettier wrist than that?" she said.

댓글 없음: