2015년 5월 19일 화요일

The Heart Line 28

The Heart Line 28


Madam Spoll glared at her in silence till she had gone; and then, with
an agility extraordinary in so stout a woman, she sprang to the closet,
opened the door and picked up an envelope lying on the floor. It had
been opened. She took the letter out, gave it a hurried glance and then
returned to her seat, stuffing the paper up under her basque.
 
The letter was short enough for her practised eye to master the contents
almost at a glance. It ran:
 
 
My dear Mr. Granthope:I hope you didn’t take offense at my frankness
the other dayif I was too candid don’t misinterpret it and my interest
in you. Sometime I may explain it more intelligently, but for the
present believe me to be, Your friend, CLYTIE PAYSON.
 
 
Granthope came out after she had concealed the note. He was fully
dressed and almost unrecognizable in his costume. He walked gracefully,
with the light-footed stride of a mandarin, and saluted her with mock
gravity. Madam Spoll stared at him with her mouth open. For a moment
she did not appear to know him. Then she chuckled.
 
"For the land’s sakes, what are you up to now, Frank? Doing the Chinese
doctor’s stunt and selling powdered sea-horses?"
 
He laughed at her surprise. "No, I’m doing society," he explained.
 
"Do ’em good, then! Lord, you are a-butting in this time, ain’t you! I
wouldn’t know you from a Sam Yup highbinder on a Chiny New Year in that
rig! What is it, a fancy-dress ball at the Mechanics’ Pavilion?"
 
"Worse than that," he laughed; "this is a private supper-party in
costume and I am a guest."
 
"Lord, you are getting on, for fair! You ain’t been conning them swell
girls for nothing, have you? And, to be frank with you, I always thought
you was after something very different. I was kind of afraid they’d
spoil you, too. It’s a good graft, Frank, and if I can do anything to
give you a lift, just say the word."
 
"Thanks," he said dryly, taking a seat in front of her and pulling his
long sleeves up to his wrist.
 
She kept her eyes upon him, as if fascinated by the gorgeousness of his
costume, seemingly a little in fear of his elegant manners as well.
Then she broke out, pettishly:
 
"Say, Fancy’s getting pretty fresh, seems to me. She’s a very different
girl from what she was when she used to play spook for us. She was glad
enough once to be politebutter wouldn’t melt in her mouth them days!"
 
"Oh, you mustn’t mind Fancy; she’s all right when you get used to her."
 
"She’s pretty, if she is sassy," the medium acknowledged. "I can hardly
blame you, Frank. I s’pose you find a good use for her. She seems to
be pretty fond of you."
 
Granthope scowled. "Never mind about her. She’s a great help to me
here, and I like herthat’s enough for you. You didn’t come here to
talk about Fancy Gray."
 
"I should think your ladies would object, though," the medium pursued.
"It looks kind of funny, don’t it? She stays here pretty late, it seems
to me, if any one was to notice it. Some ladies don’t like that sort of
thing; they get jealous. Fancy’s too pretty by half!"
 
"That’ll be about all about Fancy Gray. Suppose we change the subject."
 
"Very good then; we’ll change it to another girl that’s as pretty. How
would Miss Payson do to talk about?"
 
"What about her?"
 
"A whole lot about her. How are you getting along with her, for the
first thing?"
 
Granthope smiled with an air of satisfaction, but contented himself with
remarking, "Oh, I’m getting on all right. I can attend to my own end of
the game, thank you. I’ve handled women before."
 
"More ways than one, eh?"
 
"She’s not that kind. Don’t you believe it!"
 
"Then what, for the Lord’s sake, are you doing with her!" Madam Spoll
gave her words a playful accent that he resented. Then she added, more
seriously: "Frank, d’you know, I believe you could marry that girl. If
you have changed yourself enough to like that kind, you might go farther
and fare worse. She’d give you a good stand-in with the Western
Addition, too. And we might help you out a bit; who knows! I can see
all sorts of things in it, just as it stands."
 
"I haven’t begun to think of anything like that," he replied carelessly.
 
"Of course not. I know well enough what you was thinking of. But you
take my advice and don’t spoil a big thing for a little one. Work her
easy and you can land her. That’s better a good sight than playing with
her in your usual way."
 
He rose and walked to the window and looked out, vaguely annoyed. He
turned, in a moment, to ask, "Has the old man made a will?"
 
"D’you mean to say you ain’t found that out yet? Lord, Frank, you _are_
getting slow. I don’t know. I ain’t come to that yet. But if he
ain’t, I’ll see that he does make one, and that’s where I can look out
for your interests."
 
There was a slight sneer on his face. "Oh, don’t trouble yourself.
I’ve my own system, you know. I haven’t made many breaks yet. It’s
likely that I can help you more than you can me. That reminds me; you
might take these notes. It’s about all I have got from the girl so far.
They may come in handy."
 
He went to his desk, took a couple of cards from a tin box in the top
drawer, and handed them to Madam Spoll. She looked them over
interestedly.
 
"Much obliged. H’m! So she thinks she’s a psychic, does she? They
might be something in that. Supposed to be engaged to B. Cayley. Well,
you’ll have to fix _him_, won’t you! Father writing a bookah! That’s
just what we want. Say, that’s great! Me and Vixley will work that
book, don’t you worry! Wears a ring with ’Clytie’ inside. Turquoises.
Mole on left cheek. Goes to Mercantile Library three to five. Sun-dial
with doll buried under it. That’s funny. I wish it was papers, or
something importantI don’t see what we could do with a doll, do you?
Still, you never can tell. All’s generally fish that comes to my net.
I’ve known stranger things than dolls. Making a birthday present of a
hand-bound volume of what? Montaigne? What’s that? Say, what’s this
about Madam Grant, anyway?"
 
He turned to her and held out his hand for the card, now distinctly
impatient. "I don’t knowthat is, I forgot I put that on. There’s
nothing there that will help you, I guess. You’d better let me have it
back, after all. It’s chiefly about Miss Payson, anyway, and that isn’t
your business."
 
Madam Spoll refused to return the card. Instead, she tucked it into the
front of her dress, saying, "Oh, I don’t know. You never know what may
be useful. It’s well to be prepared."
 
"See here; you understand that you’re to keep your hands off Miss
Payson," said Granthope with emphasis. "She’s my game. Do what you like
with the old man, but leave me alone, that’s all!"
 
"Don’t you fret yourself about that. Ain’t we worked together before,
for gracious sakes? I guess I can mind my own business!"
 
The palmist walked over to the fireplace, stood leaning against the
mantel and kicked the fender meditatively, somewhat disturbed by Madam
Spoll’s presence. He had seen Miss Payson only twice, yet he had already
come to the point where he was annoyed to hear her so cold-bloodedly
discussed, and his own heartless notes quoted. Even less could he enjoy
thinking of so fine and delicate a creature in the toils of Vixley and
Spoll. No, she was for his own plucking. She was a quarry well worth
his chase. To share his plans with such vulgar plotters seemed to
cheapen the prize, to rub off the bloom of her beauty and charm. He
would play a more exquisite, a more subtle game. It would not do,
however, to break with the mediums. They were still useful to him, in
spite of his assertion of independence. They knew, besides, altogether
too much about him for him to dare to kindle their resentment.
 
If Madam Spoll had noticed his detachment she did not show it. She
herself had, evidently, been thinking something over, and now she
interrupted his meditation.
 
"Say, Frank, about that old Madam Grant, now"
 
"She wasn’t so old, was she?"
 
"How d’you know she wasn’t?"
 
He covered his mistake as well as he could with: "Oh, I’ve heard she was
a young woman, not more than thirty, when she died."
 
"Well, it’s so far back, it seems as though she must have been old. You
know I fished a little with what you give me about her and Payson;
putting that together with what Lulu Ellis got, I believe I can work
him. Funny you happened on that bit. Did the Payson girl tell you?"
 
"Oh, I got itshe let it out in a way. You know."
 
Madam Spoll chuckled. "Lord, they tell us more’n we ever tell _them_,
don’t they! But I was saying: I wish I could find out more about that
little boy Madam Grant used to keep. I wonder was he her son, now?"
 
"I suppose you might find out something if you looked up the files of the _Chronicle_."

댓글 없음: