2015년 5월 20일 수요일

The Heart Line 41

The Heart Line 41


"Francis! Francis!"
 
It penetrated his consciousness slowly. Still a little dazed, he rolled
over and looked down to the deserted street below. He tried to rise and
his ankle crumpled under him. He answered as loud as he could cry, then
lay there watching.
 
Sansome Street lay bare in the moonlight. On the near side the hill
sloped up to him from the rock crusher. On the other side was a row of
gaunt buildingsa pickle factory, a fruit-canning works, and so on, to
the dock. An electric car flashed by and, as it passed, he saw a woman
moving to and fro at the foot of the talus.
 
He sat up as well as he could on the slope and again shouted down to
her. She stopped instantly. Then, waving her hand, she started to
scramble up the slippery gravel of the hill.
 
As she ascended, she had to zigzag this way and that to avoid sliding
back. Part of the time, she was forced to go almost on hands and knees.
The moon was behind her, throwing her face into shadow. She climbed
steadily without calling to him again. When she was a few yards away,
he cried to her:
 
"Miss Payson! Is that you?"
 
"Yes! Don’t try to move, I’m coming."
 
She reached him at last and knelt before him anxiously. Her tawny,
silken hair was loosened under her hat and streamed down into her eyes.
She had on a red cloth opera cloak with an ermine collar; this was
partly open, showing, underneath, a white silk evening dress cut low in
the neck. Her hands were covered with white suede gloves to the
elbowthey were grimy and torn into ribbons. Her white skirt, too, was
ripped and soiled. She put her hand to her hair and tossed it back,
then took his hands in hers.
 
"Are you hurt?" she asked anxiously.
 
"Not much. I believe I was stunned. I have no idea how long I’ve been
here. What time is it?"
 
"It is almost eleven. Oh, I’m so glad I found you! I’m going to help
you down." She stooped lower to assist him.
 
"But I don’t understand," he said in astonishment. "How in the world did
you happen to come? What does it all mean?" His bewilderment was comic
enough to draw forth her flashing smile.
 
"We’ll talk about that afterwards. We must get down this hill first.
Oh, I hope there are no bones broken."
 
"Oh, no, I’m all right," he insisted, "but it’s like a dream! Let me
thinkI was up on Telegraph Hill, and I slipped and fell overthen I
must have been unconscious until you came.How did you happen to come?
I don’t understand. It’s so mysterious."
 
"You must get up now. See if you can walk." She gently urged him.
"I’ll explain it all when you’re safe down there where we can get help."
 
With her assistance he raised himself slowly, but the pain in his ankle
was too great for him to support his own weight. He dropped limply down
again and smiled up at her.
 
"I think I might make it if I had a crutch of some kindany stick would
do."
 
"Wait, I’ll see if I can find one."
 
She left him, to go down, slipping dangerously at times, using her hands
to save herself. Part-way down she found an old broomthe straw was
worn to a mere stub, and this she brought back.
 
With its aid and that of her steady arm, he hobbled down foot by foot.
He slid and fell with a suppressed groan more than once, but she was
always ready to lift him and support his weight in the steeper descents.
The lower part of the hill fanned out to a more gradual slope, where it
was easier going. They reached the sidewalk at last and he sat down
upon a large rock almost exhausted.
 
Just then an electric car came humming down Sansome Street. In an
instant she was out on the track signaling for it to stop.
 
"If you pass a cab or a policeman, please send them down here!" she
commanded. "This gentleman has met with an accident and we must have
help to take him home."
 
The conductor nodded, staring at her, as she stood in her disheveled
finery, splendidly bold in the moonlight, like a dismounted Valkyr. The
car plowed on and left them. Calmly she stripped off her slashed gloves
and repaired the disorder of her hair. A long double necklace of pearls
caught the moonlight, and in the front breadth of her gown, a rent
showed a pale blue silken skirt beneath. Granthope, bedraggled and
smeared with blood and dust, was as grotesque a figure. The humor of the
picture struck them at once, and they burst into laughter.
 
Then, "How did you know?" he said.
 
She became serious immediately. "It was very strange. I was at a
reception with Mr. Cayley. I happened to be sitting on a couch by
myself, whenI don’t know how to describe the sensationbut I saw you,
or felt you, lying somewhere, on your back. I was so frightened I
didn’t know what to do. I knew something had happened, yet I didn’t
know where to find you. I gave it up and tried to forget about it, but
I couldn’tit was like a steady painthen I knew I had to come. It
seemed so foolish and vague that I didn’t want to ask Mr. Cayley to go
on such a wild-goose chase with me. Father understands me better and if
he’d been there I would have brought him along. So I slipped out alone,
put on my things and took a car down-town. I seemed to know by instinct
where to get offyou should have seen the way the conductors stared at
me!and I turned right down this way, trusting to my intuitions. I
seemed to be led directly to the foot of the cliff here where I first
called you."
 
"Yes, you called ’Francis,’ didn’t you?" he said, looking up at her in
wonder.
 
"Did I? I don’t know what I saidif I did it was as instinctively done
as all the rest. We’ll have to go into business together." Her laugh
was nervous and excited.
 
He frowned. "Miss Payson, I don’t know how to thank youit was a
splendid thing to do."
 
"Oh, it has been a real adventurealmost my first. But it’s not over
yet. I must take you home now. What a sight I am! You, too! Waitlet
me clean you off a little."
 
She stooped over him and, with a lace handkerchief, lightly brushed his
face free of the dust, wiped the blood away, then, with gentle fingers,
smoothed his black hair. Both trembled slightly at the contact. She
stopped, embarrassed at her own boldness, then stood more constrained
and self-conscious, till the rattling wheels of a carriage were heard.
A hack came clattering up over the cobble-stones and drew up at the
curb. The driver jumped down from his seat.
 
There were a few words of explanation and direction, then the man and
Clytie, one on either side, helped Granthope into the vehicle. She
followed and the cab drove off up-town. For a few moments the two sat
in silence, side by side. An electric lamp illuminated her face for an
instant as the carriage whirled past a corner. Her eyes were shining,
her lips half open, as she looked at him.
 
The sight of her, and the excitement of her romantic intervention, made
him forget his pain. He felt her spell again, and now with this
appearance how much more strongly! There was no denying her magic after
such a bewildering manifestation. The event had, also, brought her
humanly more near to himhe had felt the strong touch of her hand, her
breath on his facethe very disorder of her attire seemed to increase
their intimacy. He leaned back to enjoy the full flavor of her charm.
He was suddenly aroused by her placid, even voice:
 
"Mr. Granthope, there’s one thing you didn’t tell me the other day, when
you described that scene at Madam Grant’s."
 
He caught the name with surprise, remembering that he had never spoken
it to her. In her mention of it he felt a vague alarm.
 
"What?" He heard his voice betray him.
 
"That there was a little boy with her, that day." Clytie turned to him,
and for the first time he felt a sudden fear that she would find him
out.
 
"Was there a little boy there? How do you know?"
 
She kept looking at him, and away, as she spoke. In the drifting of her
glances, however, her eyes seemed to seek his continuously, rather than
continually to escape. "Quite by accidentnever mind now. But this is
what is most strange of allI didn’t tell you, beforewhile I was there,
that time, so many years agoyou know what strange fancies children
haveyou know how, if one is at all sensitive to psychic influence, how
much stronger and how natural it seems when one is youngwell, all the
while, I seemed to feel there was some one else theresome one I
couldn’t see!"
 
She was too much for him, with such intuition. His one hope was, now,
that she would not plumb the whole depth of his deceit. He managed his
__EXPRESSION__, drawing back into the shadow.
 
"Did you know who it was, there?"
 
"Noonly that I was drawn secretly to some one who was there, near me,
out of sight. Of course, I’ve forgotten much of the impression, but
now, as I remember it, it almost seems to me as if this little
boywhoever he wasmust be related to me in some vague wayas if we had
something in common. I wish I could find out about it. You know better
the rationale of these thingsthey come to me only in flashes of
intuition, suddenly, when I least expect them."
 
He sought desperately to divert her from the subject, summoning to his
aid the tricks experience had taught him. First to his hand came the
ruse of personality.
 
"You called me ’Francis’ beforethat was strange, for few people call me
that or Frank nowadaysonly one or two who have known me a long time."
 
"Ah, I didn’t know what I was saying. It was strange, wasn’t it? But
you won’t accuse me of coquetry at such a time, will you? You were in
dangerI thought only of that."
 
"Oh, I don’t mind," he said playfully.
 
"Nor do I."
 
"You’ll call me Francis?"
 
She smiled. "Every time I rescue you."
 
There was evidently no lead for him there. He had to laugh, and give it
up. Clytie’s mood grew more serious.
 
"Mr. Cayley was telling me how interesting you were after the ladies had
left; really, he was quite complimentary. He told me all about that absurd Bennett affair you talked about."

댓글 없음: