2015년 5월 20일 수요일

The Heart Line 43

The Heart Line 43


Walking off, proudly, she opened the door of the closet and stood before
the mirror there, while he, a limp, relaxed figure in the arm-chair,
watched her as she unbraided her hair and combed it out in a magnificent
coppery cascade to her waist. Tossing her head, she said:
 
"Vixley’s laying for you, Frank! You’d better watch out for him. It’s
something shady about the old man’s past, I believe. Anyway, I hope
you’ll fool ’em, Frank!"
 
With this complication of his position, he bent his head on his hand as
if he were weary. "I don’t know what I’m going to do," he said. "It’s
too much for me, I’m afraid."
 
"What’s the matter?" said Fancy solicitously. "Didn’t I work it right?
Honest, Frank, I didn’t give you away a bitI didn’t tell him a word.
You know my work isn’t lumpyI just pumped him. I beat him at his own
game, and it didn’t taste so good, either. Oh, I’m so sorry if I did
anything to hurt you. I’d die first!"
 
As he did not answer her she came over to him and knelt on the floor,
seizing his hand. Her tears fell upon it.
 
"You’ve been mighty good to me, Frank, you sure have! You took me off
the streets when I was starving. I don’t know whatever would have
become of me. I suppose I’d gone right down the line, if it hadn’t been
for you. You’re the only friend I’ve got, and I only wish I could do
something to prove how grateful I am. Honest, I thought I was helping
you out when I kept Vixley here. You don’t thinkyou don’t think I
_like_ himdo you? Don’t say _that_, Frank!"
 
She was speaking in gasps now; her tears were unrestrained. Her hand
clutched his so fiercely that he could scarcely bear the pain. He did
not dare to look at her.
 
"I’ve always been square with you, Frank, haven’t I?"
 
He patted her hand softly.
 
"We’ve kept to the compact, haven’t we? The compact we made at Alma?
You trust me, don’t you?"
 
"Of course! You’re all rightyou’re true blue. I couldn’t distrust you.
You’ll always be the Maid of Alma. It was a game thing you did for me.
Nobody else would have done it. You have helped me, but I can’t tell
you what a corner I’m in." He paused and looked at her intensely.
"Fancyyou haven’t forgottenhave you?"
 
She forced a trembling smile, as she said bravely:
 
"’No fair falling in love’?"
 
"Yes."
 
She shook out a laugh and stroked his hand, looking up at him through
her tears. "Oh, no danger of that, Frank. You don’t know me. I’m all
right, sure! Onlyand I owe you so much! You’ve taught me everything.
If I could only do something to prove that I’m worth it."
 
"You canthat’s the trouble. I believe I’m almost cur enough to ask it
of you."
 
"What is it? Tell me, quick! You know I’d black your boots for you.
I’d do anything."
 
"Did you notice Miss Payson’s face when she saw you?"
 
"Yes." Fancy dropped her head.
 
"I’d hate to have her suspectif she thought"
 
"Oh!" She sprang to her feet and stood as proud as a lioness. "Is that
it? You want me to go for good?" Even now there was no anger in her
look or tone. The little silver watch heaved up and down on her breast.
 
He sought for a kind phrase. "I’m afraid it would be betterit makes me
feel like a beastof course, you understand" his eyes went to her,
pleading.
 
"Then it _is_ Miss Payson? Oh, Frank, why didn’t you tell me! You
might have trusted me! You ought to have known better! Haven’t I
always said that when the woman who could make you happy did come, how
glad I’d be for you?"
 
"You’re really not hurt, then? I was afraid"
 
"Poor old Frank! You goose! Of course notit makes me sorry to think
of leaving you, that’s all. Never mindthere’s nothing in the race but
the finish! I’m all right." She had become a little hysterical in her
actions, but he was too distracted to notice it.
 
"I’ll let you have all the money you wantI’ll get you a good place——"
he began.
 
She shook her head decidedly. "Cut that out, please, Frank; but thanks,
all the same. If I ever want any money, I’ll come to you. Why
shouldn’t I? But not now. Don’t pay me to go awaythat sounds rotten.
I’ll get a position all right. Didn’t I turn down that secretary’s
place only last week? But I guess I’ll travel on my looks for a while.
I’m flush."
 
"I hope I can tell her all about this, sometime," he said wearily.
 
"Bosh! What’s the use? Thank God some women know that some women are
square without being told. Men seem to think we’re all cats. Even women
talk of each other as if they were a different sort of human animal.
But not Miss Paysonshe’s a thoroughbred. I can see _that_ all right.
You can’t fool Fancy Gray about petticoats. I take off my hat to her.
She’s got every woman _you_ ever had running after you beaten a mile.
Don’t you worryshe’ll never be surprised to find that a woman can be
square. Well, I’ll fade away then."
 
As she talked she buttoned up her jacket and stuck the hat pin in her
hair. Now her eyes grew dreamier and she went over and sat on the arm
of his chair and put her hand on his hair affectionately, saying:
 
"Say, Frank, I don’t knowafter all, perhaps sometime you might just
tell her thissometime when the thing’s all going straight, when she’s
got overwell, what I saw in her eyes to-nightwhen she finds out what
you’re worthwhen she really knows how good you areyou just tell her
thissay: ’There’s one thing about Fancy Gray, she always played fair!’
She’ll know then; but just now, you can be careful of herwatch out what
you do with her, she’s going to suffer a whole lot if you don’t. You
know something about women, but you’ll find out that when you’re sure
enough in love you’ll need it all, and what you know isn’t a drop in the
bucket to what you’ve got to learn. I hope you’ll get it good and hard.
It’ll do you good. You only know one side now. You’ll learn the rest
from her. She’s not the sort to do things half-way. When she begins to
go she’ll go the limit."
 
She leaned over him. "You might give me one kiss just to brace me up,
will you? It may take the taste of Vixley off my lips. Well, so long.
Don’t take any Mexican money! If there’s anything I can do, let me
know." She rose and tossed a smile at him with her old jaunty grace.
Then she patted him on the cheek and went swiftly out.
 
 
 
 
*CHAPTER IX*
 
*COMING ON*
 
 
By artful questions, and apparently innocent remarks to lure his
confidence, by a little guess-work, more observation, and a profound
knowledge of the frailties of human nature, Madam Spoll had plied Oliver
Payson to good advantage.
 
She got a fact here, a suggestion there, and, one at a time, she
arranged these items in order, and with them wove a psychological web
strong enough to work upon. It was partly hypothetical, partly proved,
but, slender and shadowy as it was, upon it was portrayed a faint image
of her victima pattern sufficient for her use. Every new piece of
information was deftly used to strengthen the fabric, until at last it
was serviceable as a working theory of his life and could be used to
astonish and interest him. Of this whole process he was, of course,
unaware, so cleverly disguised was her method, so skilful was her tact.
She never frightened her quarry, never permitted him to suspect her.
Her errors she frankly acknowledged and set down to the ignorance of her
guides. She had, indeed, many holes by which she could escapeset
formulæ for covering her petty failures.
 
After two or three interviews, she had filled up almost all the weak
spots in her web, and was prepared to encompass her victim by wiles with
which to bleed him.
 
Mr. Payson had gone away from his first interview limping slightly more
than usual, and had talked considerably about his ailment to his
daughter. Clytie, not knowing what had increased his hypochondria, was
inclined to laugh at his fears and complaints. He found a more
sympathetic listener in Blanchard Cayley, who took him quite seriously
and discoursed for an hour in Payson’s office upon the possibilities of
internal disorders, such as the medium had mentioned.
 
The result was a visit to Doctor Masterson.
 
The healer’s quarters were two flights up in one of the many gloomy
buildings on Market Street, half lodging-rooms, half offices, inhabited
by chiropodists, cheap tailors, "painless" dentists and such riffraff.
The stair was steep and the halls were narrow. The doctor’s place was
filled with a sad half-light that made the rows of bottles on the
shelves, the skull in the corner and the stuffed owl seem even more
mysterious. The room was dusty and ill-kept; the floor was covered with
cold linoleum.
 
The magnetic healer’s shrewd eyes glistened and shifted behind his
spectacles; the horizontal wrinkles in his forehead, under his bald
pate, drew gloomily together as Mr. Payson poured out the story of his
trouble. For a time the doctor said nothing. Then he took a vial full
of yellow liquid from his table, carried it to the window, held it to
the light, examined it solemnly and put it back. He sat down again and
looked Mr. Payson over. Then he tilted back in his chair, stuck a pair
of dirty thumbs in the armholes of his plaid waistcoat, and said, "H’m!"
Finally, his thin lips parted in a grisly smile showing his blackened teeth.

댓글 없음: