2015년 5월 20일 수요일

The Heart Line 46

The Heart Line 46


"How do you intend to go about it?" Cayley asked. "I’ll tell you what
I’d do. I’d ask him to answer a few definite questions. If he can do
that, it’ll be a pretty good test, even if it is only thought-reading."
 
"If there’s anything in thought transference there may be something in
spiritualism, too. One’s as unexplainable as the other. See here!
Suppose I ask him something that I don’t know the answer to
myselfwouldn’t that prove it is not telepathy?"
 
"I should say so; but what could you ask?"
 
Mr. Payson had arisen, and was walking up and down the room with his
hands behind his back. He stopped to deliberate beside the bookcase,
then he took down a volume at random. "Suppose I ask him what the first
word is on page one hundred of this book."
 
He looked over at Cayley, then down at the title of the book.
 
"_The Astrology of the Old Testament_queer I should put my hand on
that! I’ll try it. I won’t look at the page at all." He put the book
back on the shelf. "Can’t you suggest something? Suppose you give me a
question that you know the answer of and I don’t."
 
Blanchard Cayley sought for an idea, his eyes fixed on the ceiling.
Then he said slowly: "I used to know a girl once in Sacramento who lived
next door to me. Try Vixley on her name, why don’t you?"
 
"Good! I’ll do it. Now one more."
 
"You might ask him the number of your watch."
 
"That’s a good idea; then I can corroborate that on the spot."
 
"You’d better let me see if there’s one there, though," Cayley
suggested. "I believe sometimes they are not numbered. Just let me
look."
 
Mr. Payson took out his watch and handed it to the young man, who opened
the back cover and inspected the works. He noted the number, took a
second glance at it and then snapped the cover shut. "All right, if he
can tell that number, he’s clever." He handed it back to Mr. Payson.
"When did you say you were going to see him?" he asked.
 
"Next Tuesday or Wednesday, I expect," was the reply. "I’ve got to go
up to Stockton to-morrow, and I may be gone two or three days attending
to some business. By the by, Cayley, I heard rather a queer story last
week when I was up there. You’re interested in these romantic yarns of
California; perhaps you’d like to hear this."
 
"Certainly, I should. It may do for my collection of Improbabilities."
 
"Well, I met the cashier of the Savings Bank up therehe’s been with the
bank nearly thirty years and he told me the story. It seems one noon,
about twenty years ago, while he was alone in the bank, a little boy of
seven or eight years of age came in, and said he wanted to deposit some
money. The cashier asked him how much he had, thinking, of course, that
he’d hand out a dollar or two. The boy put a packet wrapped in
newspaper on the counter, and by Jove! if there wasn’t something over
five thousand dollars, in hundred-dollar greenbacks! What do you think
of that? The cashier asked the boy where he got so much money,
suspecting that it must have been stolen. The boy wouldn’t tell him.
The cashier started round the counter to hold the boy till he could
investigate, and, if necessary, hand him over to the police. The little
fellow saw him coming, got frightened, and ran out the door, leaving the
money on the counter. He has never been heard from since."
 
"Well, what became of the money, then?"
 
"Why, it had to be entered as deposited, of course. The boy had written
a namethe cashier doesn’t know whether it was the boy’s own name or
noton the margin of the newspaper, and the account stands in that name,
awaiting a claimant."
 
"What was the name?"
 
"The cashier wouldn’t tell me, naturally. It has been kept a secret.
With the compound interest, the money now amounts to something like
double the original deposit."
 
"It’s a pity I don’t know the name; I might prove an alibi."
 
"Oh, I forgotand it really is the point of the whole story. The
package was wrapped in a copy of _Harper’s Weekly_, and the boy, whose
hands were probably dirty, had happened to press a perfect thumb-print
on the smooth paper. Of course, that would identify him, and if any one
could prove he was in Stockton at that time, give the name and show that
his thumb was marked like that impression, the bank would have to permit
him to draw that account."
 
"That lets me out," said Cayley, "unless that particular thumb-print
happens to show a banded, duplex, spiral whorl."
 
"What in the world do you mean?" Payson asked.
 
"Why, you know thumb-prints have all been classified by Gallon, and
every possible variation in the form of the nucleal involution and its
envelope has been named and arranged."
 
"I didn’t know that," said Payson. "But I did know there were no two
thumbs alike. That’s the way they identified my partner when he was
drowned. He was interested in the subject, having read of the Chinese
method, and he happened to have a collection of thumb-prints, including
his own, of course, done in India ink. His body was so disfigured and
eaten by fishes that he couldn’t be recognized until, suspecting it
might be he, we proved it by his own marks."
 
"I didn’t know you ever had a partner."
 
"Oh, that was years ago, soon after Cly was born. His name was Ichabod
Riley. That was a queer story, too. His wife was a regular Jezebel,
Madge Riley was, and there’s no doubt she poisoned her first two
husbands. She was arrested and tried for the murder of the second, but
the jury was hung, and she wasn’t. Ichabod was supposed to have been
accidentally drowned off Black Point, but I have good reason to believe
that he committed suicide on account of her. He was afraid of being
poisoned as well. She is supposed to have killed her own baby, too.
 
"Well," Mr. Payson added, rising, "I’ve got to go up-stairs and get
ready for dinner. You’ll stay, won’t you?"
 
"I’ll wait till Cly gets home, at any rate, but I’ll not promise to
dine."
 
The old man went up-stairs, leaving Cayley alone beside the bookcase.
 
When he returned he found Cayley, cool and suave as ever. Clytie was
with him, standing proudly erect on the other side of the room, a red,
angry spot on either cheek. She held no dreamy, listless pose now;
something had evidently fully awakened her, stinging her into an
unaccustomed fervor. Her slender white hands were clasped in front of
her, her bosom rose and fell. Her lips were tightly closed.
 
Mr. Payson, near-sighted and egoistic, was oblivious of these stormy
signs, and remarked genially: "You’re going to stay to dinner, aren’t
you, Blanchard?"
 
Blanchard Cayley drawled, "I think not, Mr. Payson; I’ll be going on, if
you’ll excuse me," smiling, "and if Cly will."
 
"Don’t let us keep you if you have another appointment," she said,
without looking at him.
 
He left after a few more words with the old man, who began at last to
smell something wrong.
 
"What’s the matter, Cly?" he asked.
 
She had sat down and was pretending to read. Now she looked up
casually:
 
"Oh, nothing much, father, except that he was impertinent enough to
question me about something that didn’t concern him."
 
"H’m!" Mr. Payson took a seat with a grunt and unfolded his newspaper.
"I’m sorry you two don’t get on any better."
 
"We’d get on well enough if he’d only believe that when I say ’no’ I
mean it."
 
He stared at her, suddenly possessed by a new thought. "Is there
anybody else in the field, Cly?"
 
"There are many other men that I prefer to Blanchard Cayley."
 
"What is this about your being with this palmist chap?"
 
"Did Blanchard tell you that?" she asked with exquisite scorn.
 
"Have you seen much of this Granthope?"
 
"I’ve seen him four times."
 
"And you have invited him to my house?"
 
"He has been here."
 
Mr. Payson rose and shook his eye-glasses at her. "I must positively
forbid that!" he exclaimed. "I won’t have you receiving that fellow
here. From what I hear of him he’s a fakir, and I won’t encourage him
in his attempts to get into society at my expense."
 
"Do you mean to say that you forbid him the house, father? Isn’t that a
bit melodramatic? I wouldn’t make a scene about it. I am twenty-seven
and I’m not absolutely a fool. I think you can trust me."
 
"Then what have you been doing with him? What does it all mean,
anyway?"
 
"As soon as I know what it means, I’ll tell you. At present, I think we
had better not discuss Mr. Granthope."
 
He blustered for a while longer, iterating his reproaches, then simmered
down into a morose condition, which lasted through dinner. Clytie knew
better than to discuss the subject with him. Her calmness had returned,
though she kept her color and did not talk. The two went into the library and read.

댓글 없음: