2015년 5월 18일 월요일

The Heart Line 5

The Heart Line 5



In New York, a good guesser would have put her age at twenty-three; but,
taking into account the precocious effect of the California climate,
nineteen might be nearer the mark. She was, at all events, a finished
product; there was no evidence of diffidence or _gaucherie_ about Fancy
Gray. She appeared to be very well satisfied with herself. If, as she
evidently did, she considered herself beautiful, her claim would
undoubtedly be acknowledged by most men who met her for the first time.
On those more fastidious, she had but to smile and her mouth grew still
more generous, showing a double line of white teeth, those in the lower
jaw being set slightly zigzag, as if they were so pretty that it had
been wished to put in as many as possibleher cheeks dimpled, her eyes
half closedand she triumphed over her critic. For there was something
more dangerous than beauty in that smile; there was an elfin humor that
captured and bewilderedthere was warmth and welcome in it. It made one
feel happy.
 
As she sat at her desk in the waiting-room she could look across the
corner of Geary and Powell Streets to catch the errant eye of passing
cable-car conductors, or gaze, in abstraction, at pedestrians crossing
Union Square, or at the oriental towers of the Synagogue beyond. With
the bait of a promising smile, she caught many an upward glance. Fancy
Gray was not in the habit of hiding her charms, and she levied tribute
to her beauty on all mankind. She gazed upon women, however, far less
indulgently than upon men; never was there a more captious observer of
her sex. A glance up and a glance down she gave; and the specimen was
classified, appraised, appreciated, condemned, condoned or complimented.
Not a pin missed her scrutiny, not a variation of the mode escaped her
quest for revealing evidence. A woman could hardly pass from contact
with Fancy’s swift glance without being robbed, mentally, of everything
worth while that she possessed in the matter of novelty in fashion or
deportment. Fancy appropriated the ideas thus gained, and made use of
them at the earliest opportunity. The waiting-room bore, upon the
outside, the legend:
 
+−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−+
| |
| FRANCIS GRANTHOPE, PALMIST |
| |
+−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−+
 
Inside, where Fancy sat daily from ten to four, the apartment was walled
and carpeted in red. Upon the walls, painted wooden Chinese grotesque
masks, grinning or scowling against the fire-cracker paper, hung, at
intervals, from black stained woodwork. Between the two windows was a
plaster column bearing the winged head of Hypnos; at the other end of
the room was a row of casts of hands hanging on hooks against a black
panel. The desk in the corner was Fancy’s station, and here she
murmured into the telephone, scribbled appointments in a blank-book,
read _The Second Wife_, gazed out into the green square, or manicured
her nailsaccording as the waiting-room chairs were empty, or occupied
with men or with women. Whatever company she had, she was never
careless of the light upon her or the condition of her tinted hair.
 
 
It was a cool, blustering afternoon in August. San Francisco was at its
worst phase. The wind was high and harsh, harassing the city with its
burden of dust. Over the mountains, on the Marin shore, a high fog
hung, its advance guard scudding in through the Golden Gate, piling over
the hills by the Twin Peaks and preparing its line of battle for a
general assault upon the peninsula at nightfall. In the streets men and
women clung to their hats savagely as they passed gusty corners, and
coat collars were turned up against the raw air. Summer had, so far,
spent its effort in four violently hot days, when the humid atmosphere
made the temperature unbearable. Now the weather had flung back to an
extreme as unpleasant; open fires were in order. There was one now
burning in Granthope’s reception-room, to which Fancy Gray made frequent
excursions. She was there, making a picture of herself beside the
hearth, having resolutely held her pose for some time in anticipation of
his coming, when Francis Granthope arrived.
 
Tall, erect and able-bodied, with the physique of an athlete, and a
strong, leonine head covered with crisp, waving, black hair, Francis
Granthope had the complement of the actor’s type of looks; but his
alertness of carriage and his swift, searching glance distinguished him
from the professional male beauty. Fine eyes of deep, rich blue, fine
teeth often exposed in compelling smiles, a resolute mouth and a firm,
deeply cleft chin he had; and all these attractions were set off by his
precise dressgloves, bell-tailed overcoat, sharply creased trousers,
varnished boots and silk hat. A short mustache, curling upward slightly
at the ends, and a small, triangular tuft of hair on his lower lip gave
him a somewhat foreign aspect. He had an air, a manner, that kept up
the illusion. Men would perhaps have distrusted him as too obviously
handsome; women would talk about him as soon as he had left the room.
Stage managers would have complimented his "presence"; children would
have watched him, fascinated, reserving their judgment. He seemed to
fill the room with electricity.
 
He sent a smile to Fancy, half of welcome, half of amusement at her
picturesque posture, and, with cordial "Good morning!" in a mellow
barytone, removed his overcoat and hat, putting them into a closet near
the hall door. He reappeared in morning coat, white waistcoat and
pin-checked trousers, with a red carnation in his buttonhole. He held
his hands for a moment before the fire, then looked indulgently at his
blithe assistant.
 
Now, one of Fancy’s charms was a slender, pointed tongue. This she was
wont to exhibit, on occasion, by sticking it out of her mouth
coquettishly, and shaking it saucily in the direction of her nostrilsa
joyous exploit which was vouchsafed only upon rare and intimate
occasions. This, now, she did, tilting her head backward to give
piquancy to the performance.
 
Granthope laughed, and went over to where she sat.
 
"You’re a saucy bird, Fancy," he commented, leaning over her, both hands
upon the desk. "Do you know I rather like you!"
 
Her face grew drolly sober; her whimsical eyebrows lifted.
 
"I don’t know as I blame you," she replied. "You always did have good
taste, though."
 
"I believe that I might go so far as to imprint a salute upon your
chaste brow!"
 
"I accept!" said Fancy Gray.
 
He stooped over and kissed her. She was graciously resigned.
 
"Thank you, Frank," she said demurely. "Small contributions gratefully
received." She tucked her head into the corner of his arm, and he
looked down upon her kindly.
 
"Poor little Fancy!" he said softly.
 
"Have you missed me, Frank?"
 
"Horribly!"
 
"Don’t laugh at me!"
 
"How can I help it, O toy queen?"
 
"Am I so awfully young?"
 
"You’re pretty juvenile, Fancy, but you’ll grow up, I think."
 
She was quite sober now. "Oh, there’s an awful lot of time wasted in
growing up," she said. Then she squirmed her head so that she could
look upward at him. "You’ve been awfully good to me, Frank!" Her tone
was wistful.
 
"You deserve more than you will ever get, I’m afraid," was his answer as
he patted her hair.
 
"I think you do like me a little."
 
He shook his finger at her. "No fair falling in love!"
 
She laughed. "I believe you’re afraid, Frank!"
 
"I don’t know what I’d do without you, Fancy. We’ve been through a good
deal together, first and last, haven’t we?"
 
"Yes, we’ve had a good time. I’d like to do it all over again."
 
"Heavens, no!" he exclaimed. "I wouldn’t! There’s enough ahead. From
what I’ve seen of life, things don’t really begin to happen till you’re
thirty, at least. All this will seem like a dream."
 
"Sometimes I hope it will." Fancy was looking away, now. Her gaze
returned to him after a moment of silence. "Don’t you ever think of
getting out of this, Frank? You’re too good for these fakirs, really
you are! Why, you could mix with millionaires, easy! And you’ve got a
good start, now. They like you. You’ve got the style and the education
and the ’know’ for it."
 
He went back to the fireplace, standing there with his hands behind his
back.
 
"Oh, this is amusing enough. What does it matter, anyway? There are as
big fools and shams in society as there are in my business. Look at the
women that come down here, and the things they tell me! Why, I know
them a good deal better now than I should if I were on their
calling-lists and took tea with them! But you are right, in a way. I
suppose some day I must quit this and take to honest theft."
 
"Don’t say that, Frank! I hate you when you’re cynical."
 
"What else can I be, in my profession?"
 
"Oh, I do want you to quit, Frank, really I do, and yet, I hate to think
of it. What should I do? I’d lose you sure! I could never make good
with the swells. I’m only a drifter."
 
"Oh, you can’t lose me, Fan; we’ve pulled together too long. You could
make good all right. You’ve got a pose and a poise that some ladies
would give their teeth for. I don’t believe you’ve ever really been
surprised in your life, have you?"
 
"I guess not." Fancy shook her head thoughtfully. "When I _am_
surprised, it’ll be a woman who’ll do it. No man can, that’s sure."
 
"No. I fancy you know all there is to know about men. I wish I did.
You’ll do, Fancy Gray!" He approached her and playfully chucked her
under the chin. Then he looked at her gravely. "I wonder why you’re
willing to drudge along here with me, anyway. You could get a much
better position easilywith your faceand brains."
 
"_And_ figure. Don’t forget that!" Fancy shook her finger at him.
 
"Yes." He looked her over approvingly.
 
"No woman ought to be blue with a figure like mine, ought she?"
 
He laughed. "I can’t imagine your ever being blue, Fancy!"
 
Fancy opened her eyes very wide.
 
"There’s a whole lot you don’t know about women yet," she said sagely.
 
"That’s likely."
 
"Am I to understand that I’m fired, then?" She tried to appear demure.
 
"Not yet. I’m only too afraid you’ll resign. It’s queer you don’t get
married. You must have had lots of chances. Why don’t you, Fancy?"
 "I never explain," said Fancy. "It only wastes time."

댓글 없음: