2015년 5월 21일 목요일

The Heart Line 52

The Heart Line 52


"I saw him. I think he won’t come back. He looked rather
uncomfortable."
 
Fancy sat down on the bed unconcernedly, clasping her hands on her
crossed knees, while Granthope took a seat upon a trunk.
 
"Say, Frank, these people who expect to annex all your time and pay for
it in fifty cent _table d’hotes_ are beginning to make me tired.
There’s nothing so expensive as free dinners, I’ve found! The minute
you let a man buy you a couple of eggs, he thinks he’s in a position to
dictate to you for the rest of eternity. Why, one dinner means he’s
hired you till eleven o’clock, and I run out of excuses long before
that. No, you don’t get anything free in this world, and many a girl’s
found _that_ out!"
 
Granthope smiled. Fancy was at her prettiest, with a whimsical
animation that he knew of old. Nothing delighted him so much as Fancy
in her semi-philosophic vein.
 
She ran on: "Gay has just proposed to me againI’ve lost tally, now.
The one good thing about him is that he’s always ready to make good with
the ring whenever I say the word. He takes me seriously just because I
never explain. But all the encouragement I’ve ever given him is to
accept. Gay’s the kind that always calls you ’Little girl,’ no matter
how high you are, and tells you you’re ’brave’! There’s no one quite
like you, Frank"
 
As she spoke, her gaiety slowly oozed away, till she sat almost
plaintively watching him. Then she smiled and shook her head slowly.
"Don’t get frightened, I won’t do anything foolish." She sprang up and
tossed her head. Then, turning to him, she said: "Say, Frank, do you
know Blanchard Cayley?"
 
"Why, I’ve just heard of him, that’s all. He’s a friend of Miss
Payson’s."
 
"She isn’tfond of him, is she?" Fancy demanded.
 
"Oh, I hope not! Why?"
 
"Nothing. Only, I met him, one night, at Carminetti’s. Gay had just
thrown me down hard. He came round, afterward, and apologized." Fancy
looked across the room abstractedly as she talked. Upon the wall were
strung a collection of empty chianti bottles in their basket-work
shells, a caricature by Maxim, a circus poster and other evidence of her
recent conversion to the artistic life. She spoke with a queer
introspective manner. "I had a queer feeling about Mr. Cayley. You
know, for all I’m such a scatterbrain, I do like a man with a mind. I
like to look up to a man. He’s awfully well-read. Of course, he isn’t
as clever as you, but he sort of fascinates meI don’t know why. He
interests me, although I can’t understand half he says. I suppose he
makes me forget. There’s nothing like knowing how to forget. But
you’re sure Miss Payson isn’t too fond of him?"
 
"I’d like to be surer," said Granthope. He, too, was looking fixedly
across the roomat the mottoes and texts upon the wall, on the mantel,
and over her bed"Do it Now!" "Nothing Succeeds like Success"and such
platitudes as, printed in red and black, are sold at bookshops for the
moral education of those unable to think for themselves.
 
Fancy slid gently off the bed, and dropped to the floor in front of him.
Her hand stole fondly for his, and clasped it, petting it.
 
"How is she, Frank?"
 
He put his hand on her hair and smoothed it affectionately. "Fine,
Fancy, fine."
 
"OhI hope it’s all right, Frank."
 
"I don’t know, Fancy. You’d hardly recognize me, these days. I’m
losing my sense of humor. I’m becoming a prig, I think."
 
Fancy laughed. "Well, there’s plenty of room in that direction. But I
don’t think she’d mind your being a devil occasionally. Women don’t
have to be saints to be thoroughbreds. And there’s many a saint that
would like to take a day off, once in a while!"
 
"Have you seen Vixley, lately?"
 
Fancy grew serious. "No. Is he still working the old man?"
 
"Yes, I suppose so. I saw him to-day. I offered him a thousand dollars
to leave town, Fancy."
 
Fancy looked up at him with wonder in her eyes. "Why, Frank! What do
you mean? A thousand dollars? Why, you haven’t got that much, have
you?"
 
"No. Not yet. But I’ll get it, somehow."
 
"You meanthat you’re tryingto save Paysonon her account, Frank?"
 
He avoided her glance. "On her accountand perhaps my own."
 
Fancy rose impulsively and put her arms about him. "Do let me hug you,
Frank, just once!"
 
He saw her eyes grow soft. She released herself quickly, as if the
embrace, simple as it was, hurt her. She stood in front of him and
watched him soberly.
 
"Frank, _I_ never could make you" She stopped, the tears welling in
her eyes. Then she turned and ran out of the room.
 
He rose, too, and paced up and down, wondering at her mood. His track
was short, for the roof sloped on one side, and the place was encumbered
with Fancy’s paraphernalia and furniture. His eyes fell, after a while,
upon a cigar box on her bureau. It stood upright, under the mirror, and
had little doors, glued on with paper hinges, so that the two opened,
like the front of a Japanese shrine of Buddha. He went to it and looked
at it. Thoughtlessly, with no idea of committing an indiscretion,
little suspecting that it could hold anything private or sacred, he
swung the little doors open. Then he shut them hastily and walked to
the window with a clutch at his heart. Inside he had seen his own
photograph. Before it was a little glass jar with a few violets. They
were fresh, fragrant. Lettered upon a strip of paper pasted on the
inside was the inscription:
 
No Fair Falling In Love.
 
 
He walked away hurriedly to stare hard out of the window.
 
She came into the room again as he composed himself, and her face, newly
washed, was radiant. She reseated herself upon the bed, and, taking up
a pair of stockings, proceeded to darn a small hole in the heel.
 
"Have you got a position, Fancy?"
 
She laughed. "Vixley wrote me a note and told me he had a job for me if
I wanted it, but I turned him down. You couldn’t guess what I _am_
doing, Frank."
 
"What?"
 
"Detective." She looked up innocently.
 
"You don’t mean"
 
"No! Just little jobs for the chief of police, that’s all. I’m
investigating doctors who practise without a license, that’s all. I
say, Masterson had better look out or he’ll get pulled."
 
"I’m sorry you haven’t anything better, Fancy. Miss Payson said she’d
get you a place in her father’s office if you’d go. Would you?"
 
"No." Fancy’s eyes were upon her needle.
 
"Why not?"
 
"Frank," she said, "do you remember asking me to inquire about that
soldier the little girl with freckles wanted to find?"
 
"Yes. I thought you said that the ticket agent at the ferry had left,
and so you couldn’t get anything."
 
"He was only off on a vacation. He’s come back, and I saw him
yesterday. He remembered that soldier perfectlyI don’t see how anybody
could fail tohe must look awful. He said he bought a ticket for Santa
Barbara."
 
"That’s good. I hope she’ll come in again," said Granthope. "She was a
nice little thing."
 
"She was real, Frank, and that’s what few people are, nowadays."
 
He looked at her for a minute. "There’s no doubt that you are, Fancy."
 
"I wish I were. I’m only a drifter, Frank." She kept on with her
darning, not looking up.
 
"Fancy, I want to do something for you. Won’t you let me help you?"
 
"I’m all right, Frank. I told you I wanted to have some fun before I
settled down again. But if I ever do need anything, I’ll let you know."
 
"Promise me thatthat whenever you want me, you’ll send for me, or come
to me, Fancy!"
 
She looked up into his eyes frankly. "I promise, Frank. When I need
you, I’ll come."
 
She was a blither spirit after that, till he took his leave. It had
been an eventful day for Francis Granthope. He had swung round almost
the whole circle of emotions. But not quite.
 
 
 
 
*CHAPTER XI*
 
*THE FIRST TURNING TO THE LEFT*
 
 
At five o’clock the next afternoon Blanchard Cayley sitting at a window
of his club, opening the letters which he had just taken from his box in
the office. He had his hat on, a trait which always aroused the ire of the older members. Beside him, upon a small table, was a glass of"orange squeeze," which he sipped at intervals.

댓글 없음: