2015년 5월 22일 금요일

The Heart Line 63

The Heart Line 63


"Well, if you don’t mind, I will. It’s a bad habit, I’m told, but it
sorts o’ helps me when I’m nervous."
 
Mr. Payson placed the tips of his fingers together, palm to palm, and
gestured with them. "Now, Professor Vixley, seeing that I know nothing
about you, would you mind letting me see what you can do first in the
way of a test, before we go to the main object of my visit?"
 
"Why, certainly, though I can’t promise to do anything conclusive the
first time. I want you to feel at liberty to try me in any way you
wish."
 
"Well, I’ve got three questions I’d like to have you answer. I happen
to know that you couldn’t possibly know what they are. If you can
answer them, I’ll be satisfied that you can help me."
 
"I’ll try," said Vixley modestly. "It all depends upon my guides, and
we can’t tell till we begin." He arose, walked to the mantel and
brought back a small pad of paper.
 
"Here’s what I generally use. This paper is magnetized in order to make
it easier. Examine it all you pleaseyou won’t find no carbon transfer
paper nor nothin’ like that."
 
"Why can’t I use my own paper?"
 
"I ain’t got no more idea than you have," the medium confessed candidly.
"Why can’t a photographer take a picture on common glass? I don’t know.
I ain’t a photographer. All I do know is, that we can get results from
this paper that my control has magnetized, when we can’t from yours.
The spirits may be able to explain itI can’t. Now you write down the
name of your control and your three questions, one on each piece and
fold it over twice. Then I’ll pull down the shades and see what I can
do."
 
Mr. Payson brought his hand down on the table querulously. "That’s
another thing I don’t like," he said. "Why can’t spirits work in the
light as well as in the dark, I’d like to know? It looks suspicious to
me."
 
Vixley took the cigar from his teeth and sat down patiently before his
dupe. He rapped with his forefinger upon the table. "See here, it’s
this way, Mr. Payson; every science has its own condition that has got
to be fulfilled before any experiment can be a success, hasn’t it? You
can’t go against nature. If you want an electric light or telephone, you
have to run wires, don’t you? Why? I don’t knowI’m not an
electrician. If you want to develop a photograph, you have to do it in
the dark. Why? I don’t knowgo ask a photographer. If you want to
make a seed grow, you put it down into the dirt and water it. Why? I
don’t know. Nobody knows. It’s one o’ the mysteries o’ life. In the
same way, if you want to get results in spiritualism, you have to submit
to the conditions that are imposed by my guide. Why? I don’t know.
And what’s more, I don’t care. If I can get the results, it makes no
difference to me how they come. All I do know is that fifty years’
experience has shown us mediums the proper conditions necessary for the
physical manifestation of phenomena. Full daylight is all right for
psychic influences, but it don’t do for slate-writin’. The question is
whether you want to accept the conditions I give you, or do you expect
the spirits to work in a way that’s impossible?"
 
Mr. Payson, overcome with this profound logic, submitted without further
protest to having the shades drawn down. The Professor reseated himself
and waited till the three slips were written and folded according to
direction. In his own lap were three blank slips folded in exactly the
same manner.
 
Vixley now pressed his brow and smoothed it with both hands. "Some
fakirs will palm a blank slip and exchange it for your written one, but
you see I ain’t got nothin’ in my hands," he said, showing them empty.
Even as he spoke he dropped his hands into his lap, and secreted one of
his folded slips in his palm. Then he reached for one of Payson’s
written questions and seemed to place it on the old man’s forehead, but
quick as was the motion, he had made the substitution.
 
"You hold this paper there while I go and get the slates. And keep your
mind on the question as hard as you can."
 
He returned in a moment, having glanced meanwhile at Mr. Payson’s first
question, while he was outside, bringing back a dozen or more slates
which he put on the book-shelf. He took off the top one and handed it
to Mr. Payson.
 
"Just look at it, examine it all you want to, and then take this wet
towel, wash it off clean and dry it with the other end, please."
 
As the old man did so, the Professor went to the pile and took down the
next slate. This was the first one which Flora had read, the writing
being now concealed by the thin slab which fitted neatly into the frame.
As Mr. Payson handed back the first slate, Professor Vixley, looking him
intently in the eye, said:
 
"Now, can you tell me about how many years ago it was that your control
passed out? Was it five years, twenty, or how long?"
 
The question was accurately timed so as to be put just as Mr. Payson
extended his hand. Vixley’s eyes held the old man’s in a direct gaze.
During this psychological moment while his victim was intently trying to
answer the question, the Professor, with a facile movement, put the two
slates together and handed back the same one that had been washed.
 
"I should say it would be nearly thirty yearstwenty-seven."
 
"All right," said Vixley. "Now, take this slate and wash it off like
you did the other." The old man did so without noticing that it was the
same one he had had before.
 
Vixley took back the slate when he had finished, and, with a piece of
chalk, drew diagonal lines from corner to corner upon each of the faces
of both slates.
 
"That will show you that the writin’ hasn’t been prepared beforehand,
for you’ll see that the pencil will write through the chalk, showin’
it’s been done after I made these lines."
 
As he held the two slates together in his hand, the false sheet from the
upper one fell into the frame of the lower. He laid the two upon the
table and took off the top one. The lower surface upon which the
writing was now exposed he took care to hold so that it could not be
seen. Next, he took the slip of paper which Mr. Payson had been
holding, substituted for it with a deft motion the written question
which he had previously palmed, and, throwing the blank into his lap,
dropped the real one, with a small fragment of slate-pencil, upon the
slate. He put the written slate on top of the other, writing down, then
asked the old man to hold it in position, laying his own fingers upon it
as well. A faint scratching was heard. It was too dark for the old man
to notice the slight motions of Vixley’s finger-nail upon the surface.
After a moment he removed the top slate and showed the writing, then,
unfolded the slip.
 
Mr. Payson looked at the inscription with curiosity and surprise.
"Marvelous!" he exclaimed. "Why, it’s incredible. I didn’t know it
could be done as simply as that. Why, all three of my questions are
answered and they haven’t left my possession."
 
"You seem to have a very strong control. Are the answers correct?"
 
"I’ll soon find out," said Mr. Payson, "if you’ll raise the shades while
I look at this book." He cut the strings of a package he had brought
into the room, showed his copy of the _Astrology of the New Testament_
and turned to page one hundred.
 
"Here it is, ’Chapter IX.’ It’s most extraordinary, indeed! Now for
the number of my watch. Do you know, I didn’t even know these answers
myself. That would tend to prove it’s not mere telepathy, wouldn’t it?"
 
He took out his watch and opened the back covers. Upon the frame were
engraved the figures "801,101."
 
"That’s correct, too. Now for the last onehave you a telephone?"
 
"Right down at the end of the hall."
 
"If you’ll excuse me a moment I’ll ring up a friend of mine who will
know whether this is the right name or not."
 
In five minutes he returned with an __EXPRESSION__ of wonder upon his face.
"I wanted to make sure that this couldn’t be got from my mind, so I
asked a friend of mine to select a name for me. It seems that Marigold
was the name. This is a most wonderful and convincing test, Mr. Vixley;
I must say that I’m amazed."
 
The Professor took his praise modestly. "Oh, I hope to do much better
for you than this after a while, Mr. Payson. The main point is, that
now we can get to work in such a way as to help you practically, without
wastin’ your time on mere experiments. These test conditions is very
apt to deteriorate mediumship and I don’t like to do no more of it than
is absolutely necessary to convince you of the genuineness of my
manifestations.
 
"Now," he added, "before we draw down the shades again, you write down
some important question you want answered and we’ll get down to
business."
 
When Mr. Payson had finished writing, the medium, taking a slip of paper
from his vest pocket unobserved, held it under the table, saying:
 
"Now you fold it twice, each time in half." As Payson did so, Vixley
folded his own slip in a similar manner and held it palmed in his left
hand. After drawing the shades, he said: "Now, then, will you please
hold that paper to your forehead? Not like thathere, let me show you."
 
He took the slip from Mr. Payson and dexterously substituting for it his
own duplicate, held it to his own forehead. "This way, so that it will
be in plain sight all the time." He gave the blank slip to his sitter,
who obeyed the directions.
 
"I think we’ll do better if there’s less light," Vixley said, as he
arose to draw the shades. "You keep hold of that paper. I don’t want
it to go out of your possession for a moment. You see I couldn’t read
it even if I had it, it’s so dark. But if you’ll excuse me, I’ll light
this cigar; I haven’t had a smoke all day."
 
As he spoke, he went to the bookcase, and standing, facing Mr. Payson,
he took a match from a box on the top and lighted the cigar which was
between his teeth. His left hand, which had already secretly unfolded
the ballot, covered the paper. He put it up with a natural gesture to
keep the match from being blown out as he lighted his cigar. The
operation took only a few seconds, but in that time, illuminated by the
match, he was able to read the words: "Will my book be a success?" He
dropped his hand, refolded the ballot with his fingers and held it
hidden. Then he took two slates from the pile.
 
There are many well-known ways of slate-writing, and the sleight-of-hand
necessary in obtaining the ballots and writing the answers is simple
compared with the sort of psychological juggling in which the medium
must be an adept. Professor Vixley, however, had no need of any special
craft with the old man. Mr. Payson was by no means a skilled observer,
and, credulous and desirous of a marvel, was easily hoodwinked by
Vixley’s talk. The simplest methods sufficed, and he worked with
increasing confidence, preparing his sitter’s mind, till it would be
possible for the medium merely to sit at the table and write openly
under the supposititious influence of his control.

댓글 없음: