2014년 11월 25일 화요일

Twenty Years a Detective 6

Twenty Years a Detective 6


MATRIMONIAL AGENCIES' STOCK LETTERS UNDER THE GUISE OF MINISTRY.

     REV. JOSEPH SPENCER,
     80 Madison Street.
     Manager of American Book Concern.
     Dealer in Religious Books.

          Chicago, Ill., July 26, 1905.

     MR. O. W. ZINK,
     Marshall, Mo.

     Dear Sir:

     For many years I have been a MINISTER of the GOSPEL and
     during that time I have not only performed hundreds of
     marriages, but have arranged many, and there are at the
     present time among my acquaintances some half dozen wealthy
     ladies, ranging in age from twenty to forty or fifty years,
     one of whom is the handsome widow whose photo I enclose
     herewith.

     She is worth, in actual cash and negotiable securities,
     fully $50,000, inherited from her worthy husband, who
     departed this life a year ago and, as she is without
     friends, relatives or children, her physician, a friend of
     mine, has on account of her utter loneliness advised her
     to marry, believing that marriage and change of scene will
     prove for her a blessing in disguise, and naturally she has
     turned to me, her spiritual adviser, in whom she has the
     utmost confidence. I have several times talked the matter
     over with her, and, knowing that she is very much averse
     to advertising, I have undertaken to introduce to her some
     gentleman who would make her a good husband, and to arrange
     a marriage for her.

     As her physician thinks it advisable for her to reside
     elsewhere than Chicago, I have been somewhat perplexed as
     to how to secure for her a suitable introduction and in my
     dilemma consulted a matrimonial agency and, after several
     conferences with them, I have decided to submit for your
     kind consideration my proposition and manner of procedure.
     I have studied the matter carefully, have gone thoroughly
     into your description and instructions as filed with the
     agency of which you are a member, and in my mind there is
     not the slightest doubt as to you two proving mutually
     suitable to each other. Of course, you cannot form the
     proper idea of her from the small photo enclosed, but in
     age, appearance, circumstances, etc., she is just what you
     have been seeking in a wife.

     She is in every respect a thoroughly good woman, unusually
     bright and intelligent, but knows nothing of business, and
     is in absolute need of a husband to look after her affairs,
     but, TO BE CANDID WITH YOU, I am getting along in years,
     and have a large family to support and as I only arrange
     a few marriages at intervals, I must necessarily have
     compensation adequate to the service I render.

     Now, I can, by recommending you personally, cause her to
     enter into a correspondence with you that will undoubtedly
     lead to your marriage, if you are still desirous of such
     a marriage, as I presume you are, from the fact that you
     are registered with a matrimonial agency. I will, for the
     consideration of $100, introduce you to her by letter and
     after you have exchanged three or four letters, will have
     you visit her at her expense, as you may mutually agree, if
     you will follow my simple instructions.

     I am not making you this proposition on the spur of the
     moment, for I have spent much time and thought before
     deciding to write you, and all I ask is that, AS AN
     EVIDENCE OF YOUR GOOD FAITH and to cover the immediate
     expense necessary thereto on my part (such as asking her
     to dinner with me a few times in order that I may during
     the good cheer that abounds at such times dwell at length
     upon the matter without any unnecessary delay), that you
     enclose me immediately upon receipt of this letter BANK
     DRAFT, REGISTERED LETTER, or EXPRESS MONEY ORDER, for $10;
     the balance, $90, you need not pay me until after you have
     married her and assumed the management of her affairs.
     Upon receipt of this small amount, $10, I will absolutely
     guarantee your marriage to her within sixty days and, if
     before that time you should feel that you do not care to
     pursue the matter to a conclusion, I will positively refund
     your money upon my honor as a MINISTER OF THE GOSPEL.

     My standing in my profession is such that I could not do
     otherwise and, as I have stated before, there are several
     ladies to whom I could introduce you, now that I have
     really taken the matter up with you, but I consider you two
     really suited to each other, so will not go into further
     particulars. Trusting to hear from you AT THE VERY EARLIEST
     POSSIBLE MOMENT, I am, with assurance of my regards,

          Very respectfully,


WANTED A RICH HUSBAND.

          Cedar Rapids, Iowa,
          July 15, 1905.

     REV. JOSEPH SPENCER,
     80 Madison Street,
     Chicago, Ill.

     Dear Sir:

     You asked me in your letter to give you a description of
     the man that I would like to become acquainted with. I wish
     him to be as tall as I am, to have dark hair and a very
     good disposition. I would like him to be rich. His age to
     be about 45 years, also have a good education. I want him
     to be a temperate man, and to have a nice appearance, one
     who is lovely at home, and does not care for society and
     likes music. I do not care what his occupation is if he is
     honest.

     Hoping to hear from you soon, I remain

          Yours truly,
          MISS VERNIE ADAMS.

          Oshkosh, Wis., July 20, 1905.

     REV. JOSEPH SPENCER,
     Chicago, Illinois.

     Dear Sir:

     You asked me in your letter to give you a description of
     myself, which I take pleasure in doing: I am a young man 26
     years of age, 5 feet 6 inches tall, weigh 140 pounds; blue
     eyes, red hair; I am strictly temperate, do not gamble;
     kind disposition, a farm hand; have no means; income $15
     per month.

     I would be delighted to make the acquaintance of several of
     your prospective rich women who are seeking a husband. Send
     me a list of those who are worth from $50,000 to $75,000,
     also their photographs, whereby I can make a selection, and
     I will send you your fee of $5. I remain,

          Sincerely yours,
          THOMAS FLINN.


MATRIMONIAL AGENCY UNDER THE GUISE OF AN ATTORNEY-AT-LAW.

     EDWARD MORRIS,
     Attorney-at-Law.
     82 Madison Street.
     Trusts and Estates a Specialty.

          Chicago, Ill., Jan. 4, 1905.

     MR. GEO. FERLIN,
     Los Angeles, Cal.

     Dear Sir:

     I have during my professional career arranged many
     marriages for ladies of means, and at the present time
     have among my clients some ten or twelve wealthy ladies,
     ranging in age from twenty-five to fifty years, desirous of
     marriage, one of whom is the charming widow whose likeness
     I herewith enclose.

     She is worth $60,000 ($25,000 in ready cash, the balance
     in high-class tangible property inherited from her mother,
     recently deceased). She is alone and childless and her
     physician, on account of her bereavement, has recommended
     a marriage and change of scene, and in her dilemma she has
     consulted me, her legal adviser, and I, in turn, without
     her knowledge, appealed to a matrimonial agency with which
     I have for several years had business relations in a
     professional way.

     Out of the several names submitted to me I have, after much
     thought and deliberation, selected yours, and I beg that
     you will consider carefully my proposition and the fact
     that I am not in business for my health, but for revenue,
     together with a desire to please my clients and to give
     them value received.

     This lady, while unusually bright and intelligent, knows
     little of the ways of the world, and nothing of business,
     and, to be candid with you, needs a husband to manage her
     estates, and I can, by recommending you personally, cause
     her, through me as her attorney, to open negotiations with
     you for a marriage; so if you desire a wealthy wife, as I
     presume you do from the fact that you are registered with a
     matrimonial agency, I will, for the consideration of $100
     introduce you to her, have you visit her at her expense, as
     you may mutually agree, and will absolutely guarantee your
     marriage to her within sixty days, if you will follow my
     instructions to the letter.

     All that I ask is, as an evidence of your good faith and to
     cover the immediate clerical expenses necessary thereto,
     you enclose me immediately upon receipt of this letter,
     BANK DRAFT OR MONEY ORDER for $10, the balance ($90) to be
     paid after marriage, and when I have caused her to place in
     your hands, or under your control, a goodly portion of her
     worldly possessions.

     Now, if you wish to accept my proposition, enclose me
     immediately the small retaining fee ($10) and promise me
     that you will follow carefully my instructions; otherwise
     do not write me, as I positively will not enter into
     further correspondence until you have engaged me as your
     attorney upon the lines I have laid down.

     If before the end of sixty days you feel that you do not
     care to pursue the matter to a conclusion I will refund
     your money. My standing as an attorney is ample evidence
     that I will faithfully carry out my contract. Remember that
     I have among my clients, as I have stated before, ten or
     twelve wealthy ladies to my certain knowledge desirous of
     marriage.

     Awaiting your immediate reply, I am

            Sincerely and professionally yours,

                    EDWARD MORRIS.

     EDWARD MORRIS, Attorney-at-Law.

          Chicago. Ill., Jan. 11, 1905.

     MR. GEO. FERLIN.
     Los Angeles, Cal.

     Dear Sir:

     Your letter in reply to mine received, and I will say,
     that as a leading attorney, and a prominent member of the
     bar, I could not act for you until you have first retained
     me as your attorney in this matter, and sent me the small
     retaining fee of $10, as requested.

[Illustration: OH! OH!! OH!!!

AWFUL CONSTERNATION AT PIKES CROSSING! DIRECTORY GOWN IN TOWN. BY
JIMMINEDDY!!].

     Now, my dear sir, if you really mean business and really
     want to marry the charming and wealthy young widow in
     question, I see no earthly reason why you should hesitate
     for a single instant to retain my services in connection
     with this matter. You may give me good references, and I
     can give you the same, but that has no bearing on the case
     whatever. I cannot, as stated, do any business with you
     until you first enclose me this small retaining fee, as I
     must be in a position to truthfully state that you are my
     friend and client.

     You may have had unfortunate dealings with matrimonial
     agencies, but as an attorney in high standing, I am not
     to be compared with such concerns, and on receipt of your
     small retaining fee, I will guarantee to do my part and
     arrange a speedy marriage if you adhere strictly to my
     instructions.

     Trusting to hear favorably from you at once, I am,

          Yours very truly,

          EDWARD MORRIS.

     P. S. I do not ask for the balance of the $100 until after
     your marriage, and I have caused the lady to place in your
     hands or under your control a goodly portion of her worldly
     possessions.

     EDWARD MORRIS, Attorney-at-Law.

          Chicago, Ill., Jan. 23, 1905.

     MR. GEO. FERLIN,
     Los Angeles, Cal.

     Dear Sir:

     Your favor at hand with enclosure accepting my proposition.
     Now, I wish to assure you that everything you write to me
     will be treated in the strictest confidence, and I will say
     that it will be necessary for you to follow to the letter
     the instructions which I will from time to time give you.

     In order to break the ice, I would suggest that you address
     a letter to Mrs. Lucy Kline, in my care, briefly setting
     forth the fact that you are a friend and client of mine,
     and that as you are matrimonially inclined. I have advised
     you to open a correspondence with her. You can say to her
     that I have favored you with her photograph, and that same
     meets your approval, and that you would very much desire
     her acquaintance and what it may lead to. I have already
     taken up the matter with her, and she is expecting a letter
     from you, and in reply will send you her private address.

     I would advise you, after receiving her reply, not to
     write too often or too long letters. In other words, do
     not appear to be too anxious, for it must devolve upon me
     to bring you two together. The correspondence you may have
     with her is simply a preliminary introduction leading to
     the establishment of congenial relations and eventually,
     marriage.

     Important business prevents my writing a longer letter to
     you today, and in order that I may be prepared to take the
     matter up, I suggest that you write your letter so that it
     will reach my office in about one week from today.

          Yours truly,

          EDWARD MORRIS.


MATRIMONIAL AGENCY UNDER THE GUISE OF EMPLOYMENT EXCHANGE.

Positions for Men and Women. Commercial, Technical, Educational,
Professional. Those Hardest to Find and Hardest to Fill.

     G. H. CANNON, Manager,
     Ohio Block.

          Chicago, Ill., Sept. 21, 1905.

     MRS. A. A. BURROWS,
     San Fran. Cal.

     Dear Madam:

     I am directed by a client for whom we transact much
     business, to submit you a proposition, which both he and
     I sincerely hope you will accept. He is a bachelor of
     middle age, of fine appearance, and is the owner of a large
     manufacturing plant, as well as of a magnificent residence,
     in which he lived until recently with his aged mother, who,
     greatly to his regret, departed this life some six months
     ago. Since her death he has felt the need of a woman's
     guiding hand in the management of his household affairs,
     and it is to offer you a position as his housekeeper that I
     am addressing you personally.

     I beg to state that attached to the position is a salary
     of $75 per month, your board, and an allowance of $25 per
     month for your clothing, and you will have full charge
     of his household expenses, including the employment
     and discharge of servants, consisting of a butler, two
     housemaids, driver, cook, etc.

     If you accept the position his carriage will be at your
     disposal at all times, and you will be the actual head of
     his household, with no restrains of any kind upon you. As I
     have stated, this client is a bachelor, and on account of
     his mother's determined opposition to his marriage during
     her lifetime, he has gone little in society, but since her
     death he has never ceased to feel the need of a woman's
     hand and presence in his home.

     His first thought was marriage, but after a lengthy talk
     with me he very cheerfully acquiesced in the suggestion
     that has led to the writing of this letter, and now to the
     point.

     I suggested that he allow me to secure for him a
     housekeeper who might possess the qualities he most desires
     in a wife, and then I consulted a matrimonial agency with
     that end in view. Your description seemed to fit so exactly
     his idea of true womanhood and appealed to him so strongly
     that his first impulse was to address you directly, but
     being of a sensitive and retiring disposition, he came to
     the conclusion that he should become thoroughly acquainted
     with you, and could not do better than allow me to carry
     out my original plan to make your acquaintance.

     To be candid with you, this position is a very lucrative
     one, and will undoubtedly lead to your marriage with this
     gentleman, if you see fit to accept the proposition, and
     for that reason I trust you will give it the consideration
     it deserves.

     As he secures the help necessary to the running of his
     large factory through this firm, of which I happen to be
     the manager, you cannot but understand that I am thoroughly
     acquainted with him, and am in a position to arrange this
     matter to your mutual satisfaction.

     It is a custom to charge a fee of $5, but in this instance
     we would make no charge at all, only our client, insists
     that we require our usual fee simply as an evidence of good
     faith, and that there may be no misunderstanding. If you
     accept the proposition I have submitted kindly fill out the
     enclosed form and return to us with EXPRESS MONEY ORDER or
     BANK DRAFT for $5, which amount will be returned to you
     as soon as you have taken charge of his household affairs,
     as your good faith will have then been proved.

     As soon as you can start for Chicago I will send you
     expense, free railroad transportation, and if, after your
     arrival here, you do not care to accept the position, a
     return ticket, etc., will be furnished you so that you will
     not be out one dollar of expense.

     This offer is made to you in the strictest confidence, and
     I sincerely trust you will so regard it, and not discuss it
     with any one, at least not until all the details have been
     arranged.

     No matrimonial agency in the world can do this for you,
     nor do I think such an opportunity will ever occur to you
     again, so kindly sign the enclosed form and return it to me
     immediately with the small fee necessary, or do not write
     me at all. No harm will have been done by having submitted
     the proposition to you, but if you cannot take immediate
     advantage of it, I simply will not correspond further in
     the matter. Trusting that you will see your way clear, and
     wishing you well, I am,

          Very sincerely,

          G. H. CANNON.

[Illustration: OPINIONS DIFFER]

The above are illustrations of the method. Cannon, Rev. Spencer and
Attorney Edwards are all one and the same man. We now turn to a
few special examples of differences of procedure among the various
bureaux.


A PERSISTENT OFFENDER.

One of the most successful operators who ever invaded Chicago with
matrimonial schemes was one John Carson, who, on April 8, 1908, was
fined $1,000 and costs for misuse of the United States mails after
he had plead guilty to the charge, which was preferred by Inspector
Ketcham.

Carson, at one time or another, operated no less than eighteen
concerns of this nature. He was first discovered in 1902 in Chicago by
Detective Wooldridge, operating no less than five matrimonial and fake
concerns simultaneously. These concerns were:

     The Loretta Matrimonial Publishing Co., 98 Ogden Ave.

     The Unida Matrimonial Publishing Co., 408 Ogden Ave.

     Mr. John's Matrimonial Publishing Co., 565 West Madison St.

     Mr. J. C. Hills Matrimonial Agency, 565 West Madison St.

     The Chicago Mutual Securities Co., a Chicago Medicine
     concern, 567 W. Madison St.

Carson evaded arrest and fled to St. Louis, where he was shortly
afterward arrested by the postal authorities and sentenced to eighteen
months in the State Penitentiary at Jefferson City, in addition to a
fine of $500.


BOBS UP AGAIN.

In 1904 Carson bobbed up again in Chicago. Since that time his record
is best given from a report made to Chief of Police John M. Collins
by Detective Wooldridge, who repeatedly broke up Carson's games. The
report, in part, is as follows:

     Feb. 9, J. H. Carson Woods' Advertising Agency, 62 Ada St.
     Goods confiscated; fined $25.

     March 9, 1904, J. H. Carson, Mill's Advertising Agency, 71
     W. Lake St. Fined $15.

     May 4, 1904, J. H. Carson, alias J. H. Hayes, 408 Ogden
     Ave., raided. Literature seized and destroyed by order of
     court.

     May 4, 1904, J. H. Carson, alias J. H. Hayes, 255 Madison
     St., raided. Literature seized and destroyed by order of
     court.

     Nov. 15, 1904, J. H. Carson, alias J. W. Bessie, 480 Ogden
     Ave., raided. Arrested; released; writ of habeas corpus.

     Nov. 15, 1904, J. H. Carson, alias J. W. Bessie, 67
     Flournoy St., raided. Arrested; released; writ of habeas
     corpus.

     Jan. 4, 1905, J. H. Carson and Oscar Wells, promoted and
     run the J. H. Hunter Matrimonial Agency, 164 East Randolph
     St. Oscar Wells was arrested and fined $50 by Justice John
     K. Prindiville.

     April 19, 1905, J. H. Carson and J. R. Ferguson, conducted
     the Jesse H. Lee Matrimonial Agency, 84 Washington St.
     Ferguson was arrested and fined $15 by Caverley. The
     literature seized and destroyed.


TURNS CLAIRVOYANT.

May 27, 1905, J. H. Carson conducted the Clay's American Bureau of
Correspondence, 62 Ada St. He was arrested and fined $25 by Justice
John K. Prindiville. The literature seized and destroyed.

Aug. 21, 1905, J. H. Carson and J. R. Ferguson conduced the Ferguson
Directory, a Matrimonial agency at 171 Washington St. This place was
raided and Jesse R. Ferguson was arrested and fined $25 by Justice
John K. Prindiville.

May 27, 1905, J. H. Carson conducted the Jesse Lee Matrimonial Agency,
84 Washington St. He was arrested and fined $25 by Justice John K.
Prindiville.

Aug. 19, 1905, J. H. Carson was arrested for conducting a Chicago
Matrimonial Agency at 171 Washington St. and 95 Fifth Ave., under
the name of Prof. John C. Hall, Astrologist, Occult, Scientist,
Clairvoyant, Medium, and Lifereader.

With this record behind him this rascal actually had the nerve to
bring suit for false arrest against Detective Wooldridge, but quite
naturally, he failed to appear when the suit came up for trial.

He has not been heard from since the fine imposed on April 8, 1908, by
the Federal authorities.


AGENTS OF THE UNDERWORLD A NEST OF POLE-CATS.

But crime is not the only long suit of the Matrimonial Agency. Some of
these miserable frauds have descended into the depths and wallowed in
the slime of the ultimate shame.

With unbelievable effrontery they have attempted to trade upon the
basest instincts in human nature; they have attempted to coin the most
abominable of the brute passions of men.

Nothing can exceed the turpitude, the brazen shamelessness of the
Matrimonial Agency, when it decides to go the limit.

Attest the following from the literature of the New Era Advertising
Agency and Introduction Bureau, Curtis, Clark & Co., Props., formerly
located at 112 Clark street, Chicago. This abomination was raided
by Detective Wooldridge and the following sample from one of the
circulars seized shows the nature of the concern:

     "If you are willing to give your name and protection to
     one who has fallen and wishes again to enter the ranks of
     respectability, we have some young women who have led fast
     lives and accumulated considerable money, and want to marry
     some respectable man, settle down in a new place and be
     respected and respectable. THEY ARE HANDSOME, STYLISH,
     LIVELY AND FULL OF FUN: HAVE MONEY ENOUGH FOR BOTH. They
     will no doubt make good, loving and true wives for some
     good-natured fellow who is not particular about their
     past. Through our efforts several wealthy ladies of the
     demi-monde have married very poor men in return for their
     name and protection, given them a life of ease and luxury,
     and the opportunities are greater today than in the past,
     considering the fact that the world in general is anxious
     to lend a helping hand to those who have erred and wish to
     become respectable again."

This pole-cat literature was being sent broadcast through the United
States mails. In some way it evaded the inspectors until the 23rd of
September, 1902, when Detective Clifton R. Wooldridge descended upon
the nest of pole-cats, seized the literature, chased "Curtis, Clark
& Co." out of Chicago, and made further evil-smelling operations
impossible.

These abominations are now practically impossible, thanks to the
activity of the great police detective. But the above illustrations
shows to what depths the marriage bureaus can descend, once they have
become started on their infamous careers.

November 26, 1902, Detective Wooldridge raided the Climax Matrimonial
Agency, located at 418 LaSalle avenue, which is situated on the North
Side, in one of the most fashionable places in Chicago.

It was run not only as a matrimonial agency, but a matrimonial paper
and mail order house. Among the literature seized was a circular
containing a picture of the manager's wife, and of which he sent out
over 300,000. which gave the description of her, which read as follows:

SHERIFF DUPED--ATTEMPTS ROLE OF LOTHARIO.

     "I am 23 years of age, 5 feet 2 inches in height, weigh 120
     pounds, have a turn-up nose, plain-looking and worth about
     $147,000. I desire to marry a good, honest, affectionate
     man. On our wedding day I will give my husband $5,500 in
     cash, and one year later, if we are still living together,
     I will make over to him $25,000 more. No milk-and-water man
     need answer."

[Illustration: "GOT A GOOD HOME ALREADY PAID FOR, AN' MONEY IN DE
BANK."]

[Illustration: "DES A PLAIN LITTLE ONINTERESTIN' FAMBLY ROW."]

One letter from a Mississippi sheriff shows that the officer of the
law is willing to forsake bachelorhood for a woman who, though plain,
advertises that on her wedding day she will give her husband $5,500.
This is the gay Lothario's letter:

     Miss Ot--I take pleasure in answering your "ad" in the
     "Hour at Home." You stated in your "ad" you were worth
     $147,000, and would give the man that married you $5,500 on
     his wedding day. You say you are plain.

     I am good looking, so the people tell me, and if you
     correspond with me we may come to an understanding. I am
     willing to marry you if you give me proof you have the
     money, and will do all that you say in the "ad."

     I will do my best to make your life happy. Awaiting your
     reply, I remain.

          Yours truly,

          W. M. M., Sheriff.


BIGAMY AND THE BUREAU.

Where the Professional Bigamists Find Wives.

The matrimonial agencies that have been investigated and suppressed by
Detective Wooldridge and the postoffice authorities have disclosed an
almost incredible phase of woman's nature.

There are today in the United States no less than 50,000 women who
have been married, robbed and deserted by "professional bigamists."
This fact represent the most serious phase of the matrimonial agency
swindle, for it is the history of nearly all noted bigamists that
they secured their victims through the matrimonial agencies. Of
the thousands who become subscribers to these agencies, however,
comparatively few ever proceed far enough to encounter the tragic
features of the swindle. It might be inferred from this that women
are much easier to entice into matrimony than men. Probably, however,
this is an untenable conclusion. When a woman does start on marrying
bent, mere men fall before her like grain before the sickle. Miss
Marion Rapp, arrested at Philadelphia, is known to have secured eight
husbands in three years, and is suspected of having captured six or
eight more. Miss Rapp is still young, and if her career had not been
untimely cut off she might have made a record that would have done
credit (or discredit) to her sex.

[Illustration: PUTS A SNAFFLE BIT ON THE OLD MAN]

The sad experiences of people who have been victimized by gay
deceivers, male or female, perhaps contain a lesson to persons who
carelessly contemplate matrimony. When a stranger proposes marriage
at first sight it may possibly be well to take a look into his or her
antecedents. This is not the most romantic way to proceed, but it is
a way that may have a great practical advantage. It probably would be
endorsed by every one of the 50,000 women in this country who are now
looking for professional bigamists who married them and ran away with
their cash.

That the matrimonial agency business is not confined to Chicago and
dupes of the system are found elsewhere than in rural communities and
among the poor and humble is demonstrated by recent revelations in
Europe. During one raid I seized a large quantity of literature in
the offices of a swindling concern doing business under the name of
Mason, Brown & Co. The "firm" advertised itself as the largest of its
kind in the world and the only one "indorsed by press and public and
patronized by royalty," adding that its "clients and representatives
were to be found in every land."

In extra large type the information was conveyed to the victim that
he or she need not be ashamed to resort to the agency method in order
to secure a life partner, as the royalty of Europe used this means
exclusively in contracting marriages, especially in cases where
American heiresses were sought as wives for titled but impecunious
foreigners.

When it was casually remarked during an examination of a wagon load
of Mason, Brown & Company's advertising matter the reference to the
titles and heiresses was the only true statement it contained, there
were smiles of incredulity. American millionaires were said to be too
shrewd and level-headed to enter into deals with marriage brokers
when the life happiness of their fair and independent daughters is
concerned.

[Illustration: (Divorce Decrees; Spring)]

It was but a short time after this conversation, however, that the
following cablegram was published:


THE CASE OF COUNT LARISCH.

     "Aug. 25th, 1905: The alleged attempt to blackmail Count
     Franz Joseph Maria Von Larisch Monnich out of 200,000 marks
     on a pre-nuptial note alleged to have been signed by the
     count, and the implication of army officers and members of
     the aristocracy in the marriage brokerage business, has
     caused more talk in high circles than anything which has
     happened since the elopement of Crown Princess Louise of
     Saxony."

It is said the Kaiser had to take a hand in the matter, and insists
that this business shall be stopped finally and effectively on the
ground it is bringing the army and nobility into disrepute and
ridicule.

The harm done by these agencies is almost incalculable. Foolish women
having money at their disposal fall easy victims to the many scheming
scoundrels who make a practice of subscribing to the matrimonial
agencies for the purpose of securing the addresses of prospective
victims.

As instances of the harm done by these matrimonial agencies the case
of Johann Hoch, who married fifty women, and after securing all their
money, either poisoned or deserted them. He was captured in New York
City, January 30, 1905, after he had married a woman in Chicago, Mary
Schultz, alias Brees, alias Bauman, poisoned her, then made love to
her sister, married her, secured what money she had and deserted her.
Hoch was brought back to Chicago, tried for murder, convicted and hung
February 23 1906. This is a glaring example.

[Illustration: IN CUPID'S WORKSHOP.]

[Illustration: ROUTING HER THROUGH

"Ten dollars extra, cabby. If you catch the train with her. She's my
mother-in-law."]

The case of Fredrick Carlton, indicted on two charges of grand larceny
in Brooklyn, New York, July, 1905, is another.

It is stated on what seems to be reliable authority this man made the
acquaintance of women in various parts of the country through the
medium of matrimonial advertisements, married them and decamped with
their money at the first favorable opportunity. Still another:

Dr. George A. Witzhoff, champion bigamist, arrested in Bristol,
England, October, 1905, for bigamy and given a long term in prison. He
was wanted in many cities in the United States.

Witzhoff confessed to marrying and robbing thirty-two women. Most all
of the women he married lived in the United States, and were secured
through the matrimonial agencies.


WITZHOFF'S CONFESSION--BOUGHT FIFTEEN WIVES FROM ONE AGENT--TAKES
$4,000 FROM HIS FIRST WIFE.

     "Then, one night, after indulging in plenty of wine, she
     confessed she had a child in Pittsburg. I left her there,
     telling her I was going to bring her child, which was nine
     years old. Instead, I went to New York with her money
     ($4,000), and paid my friend part of his money, and started
     a practice as a dentist in Fourteenth street as Dr. A. R.
     Houser. I went to see a matchmaker. He introduced me to a
     widow of means. We got married in two weeks at the City
     Hall, New York.

     "She had all her money loaned away, so I was compelled
     to seek another one, as Sig. Badillo was hard after his
     balance of $1,000.

     "I went, to Philadelphia and got a Jewish matchmaker again
     on Fifteenth street and Fairmount avenue, and he introduced
     me to a Miss Jocker as Dr. A. Houser.

     "I got $800 from her. I paid Badillo $500 and left for
     Springfield, Mass., where a woman answered one of my ads. I
     inserted an 'ad.' as follows:

     "'A professional gentleman of nice appearance, aged
     thirty-two, desires the acquaintance of a sincere,
     affectionate lady, with some means; object, matrimony;
     triflers ignored. Give particulars in first letter. Address
     Busy Bee, the Journal.'

[Illustration: (Man with many wives inside heart)]

     "I had about twelve answers to this advertisement, and I
     picked out a boarding house mistress, and ten days after
     she was Mrs. Westfield, and as she was a vulgar woman,
     I left her two days after. She had given me $500 before
     marriage.

     "I returned to New York to wife No. 2, and a week after I
     went to St. Louis and inserted an 'ad.' as previously, and
     got fifteen answers. There I selected a farmer's daughter
     and married her as Dr. Doesser. I married and left her all
     within a week.

     "I came to Detroit, and with her money, $350, I started
     a dental practice as A. Houser. In answer to my
     advertisements in a German paper, Mrs. Piser came.

     "We went to Toledo, O., five days after our first
     interview, and we got married. I left her six days after.

     "I came now to Pittsburg, as Dr. Wolfe, got a furnished
     room in Allegheny. In answer to an 'ad.' in a German paper
     a sexton's daughter answered, the ugliest I ever had. Three
     days after we went to the justice of the peace and got   married."

댓글 없음: