2015년 5월 21일 목요일

The Heart Line 59

The Heart Line 59


"It’s in the air, herethe gambling instinct is paramount!" he said.
"Almost everybody gambles in San Francisco. You know that well enough.
You can almost hear the rattle of the slot-machines on the cigar-stand
at the corner, down there. It’s that way all over town. The gold-fever
has never died out. Every one speculates or plays the races or bets on
ball games or on the prize-fights, or plays faro or poker or bridgeor,
at least, makes love. They’re all superstitious, all credulous, all
willing to take risks and chances, and so the mediums thrive. Tips are
sought for and paid for. Every one wants to get rich quickly and not
always scrupulously. It’s not a city of healthy growth; it’s a town of
surprises, of magic and madness and rank enthusiasms. We pretended to
show them the short cuts to success, that’s all. You know, perhaps, how
the money-getting ability can eclipse all other faculties, and you won’t
be surprised when I tell you that we made large sums from men of wealth
and prominencethey were the easiest of the lot, usually."
 
She brought him back to his story. "Of course I understood from what I
heard, that you had been an accomplice of these mediums. I don’t think
you need to go into that."
 
"Oh, you don’t know all! It will sicken you to have me go into the
actual details, but I want you to know the worst. I think I must tell
you, lest others may. One picture will be enough to make you see how
vulgar and despicable I had become in that epoch. You’d never get to
the sordidness of it unless I told you in so many words. Do you think
you can stand it? You may not want ever to know me again. God! I
don’t know whether I _can_ tell you or not! It’s terrible to have to
sully you with the description of it!"
 
For a moment she faltered, gazing at him, trembling. Her eyes sought his
and left them, often, as she spoke. "You don’t meanI’ve heard that some
of these mediumsthe vilest of themdon’t hesitate totake advantage of
the sensual weakness of their patronsthat theyOh, don’t tell me that
you ever had any part in _that_!" She covered her face.
 
He walked over to her and pulled her hands away, looking down into her
eyes. "Do you think I would ever have kissed you if I had?" he said.
"No, there were depths I didn’t fall to, after all. Oh, I’ve had my way
with women often enough; but not that way."
 
She threw off her fears with a gesture of relief, and her mood changed.
"I believe you. But don’t tell me any more, please. I think I know, in
a way, just about what you were capable of, and some things I couldn’t
bear to think about. But my reason has always fought against my
intuition whenever I suspected you of any real dishonor. Thank Heaven I
shall never have to do so again! I think I was wise enough to see how,
in all this, you had the inclinations without the opportunities for
better things. You were a victim of your environment. Spare me any
more. I can’t bear to see you abase yourself so. I am so sure you have
outlived all this. It’s all over. I have told you that I love you. I
shall always love you!"
 
He yearned for herfor the peace and support that she could give him at
this crisis, but his pride was too hot, yet, for him to accept it; he
had not finished his confession. She was still on a pedestalhe admired
and respected her, but she was above his reach. He could not quite
believe that hint in her eyes, for her halo blinded him. She was still
princess, seeress, goddessnot yet a woman he could take fearlessly to
his arms. His hesitation at her advances, therefore, was reluctant,
almost coy. He did not wish to take her from her niche; he must first
receive absolution. After thathe dared not think. She had allured him
in the first stages of his acquaintance, she still allured him; but her
spiritual attributes dominated him. "I think I am another man, now," he
said, "but my repentance is scarcely an hour old. It is too young; it
has not yet proved itself. It’s not fair for me to accept all you can
give for the little I can return. I must meet you as an equal."
 
She looked at him calmly. "It is more than a few hours old," she said.
"Do you think I don’t know? What I first saw in you I have watched grow
ever since. I told you all I could; it was not for me to help you more.
It was for you to help yourselfto develop from within. I think you
were all ready for me, and I came at the psychological moment." She
looked around the room from which the sunlight had now retreated,
leaving it shadowy and dim. The hangings of black velvet were scattered
about the floor, the little table and its two chairs were like a group
of skeletons, empty, satiric, suggestive of past vanities. "’What is to
come is real; it was a dream that passed,’" she quoted.
 
He found a new courage and a new hope. It shone in his eyes, it tingled
in his body; something of his old audacity returned. He stood dark and
strong before her.
 
"Oh, you have helped, indeed!" he said. "I think this would never have
come alone, for I was sunk in an apathyand yet, I’m not sure. The old
life was no longer possible. I confess that I was in a trap, threatened
with exposureI feared your discovery of what I had beenI smarted under
the shame of your disapprovalbut it was not that that influenced me. It
was like a chemical reaction, as all human intercourse is; you
precipitated all this deceit and hypocrisy at one stroke and left my
mind clear."
 
"I’m so glad you feel it that way," Clytie said. "It brings us
together, doesn’t it? It lessens the debt you would owe me." Her
eyelids crinkled in a delicious __EXPRESSION__ of humor, as she added, "And
it makes this place seem a little less like a Sunday-school room!"
 
"Oh, I suppose many a man has refused to reform for fear of being
considered a prig!" he laughed. "But I haven’t swept out all the
corners yet. I must finish cleaning house before I invite you in."
 
"Why should we talk about it any more?"
 
"But it isn’t all over!" he exclaimed. "I haven’t told everything.
It’s all over, so far as I am concernedI shall not go backbut now you
are involved in it. Could anything drag me lower than that?"
 
"What do you mean?" she asked.
 
"Only that, because of my fault in not warning you before, your father
has already become the latest dupe for this gang of fakirs. I’m afraid
he’s in their power. Hasn’t he told you anything about it?"
 
"A little. What is there to fear from them?"
 
"Of course, it’s only his money they’re after. They have got hold of
considerable information about himI don’t know just how or whatand
they have succeeded in hoodwinking him into a belief that they have
supernatural powers. I’m afraid it’s no use for me to attempt to expose
them. He’d never believe anything I could say."
 
"No, that’s useless. He has taken a violent prejudice against you, for
some reason."
 
"Oh, the reason is easy to find. I’ve made enemies of Madam Spoll and
Vixley, and they have probably done their best to hurt my reputation.
They made me a proposition to join them; in fact, their scheme was for
me to work you for informationmake love to you, in order to help them
rob your father."
 
Clytie looked at him trustfully. "You can never convince me that that
was the reason why you were attracted to me, for I shall not believe
you!" She patted his hand affectionately, as he sat at her feet.
 
He shook his head. "I don’t knowI wouldn’t be sure it wasn’t."
 
"Ah, I know you better!" She grew blithe, and a mischievous smile
appeared on her lips. Her eyes twinkled as she said archly: "Perhaps I
may say that I know myself better, too. I’m vainer than you seem to
think, and you’re not at all complimentary. Don’t you thinkdon’t you
think thatperhapsI myself had something to do with your attentions to
me?" She put her head on one side and looked at him with mock coquetry.
 
His eyes feasted upon her beauty. "I won’t be banal enough to say that
you are different from every woman I have ever known, or that you’re the
only woman I ever loved, though both of those things are true enough.
If I had ever loved any other woman, probably I should feel just the
same about you as I do now. But no woman has ever stirred me mentally
before. You have given me myselfnobody else could ever have done that.
I have nothing to give you in returnnothing but twenty-odd mistaken,
misspent years."
 
"And how many more to be wonderfully filled, I wonder? You’re only a
child, and I must teach you. Can you trust me? Remember that I knew
you when you were a little boy."
 
"I wonder what will become of me? I suppose I shall get on somehow. It
doesn’t interest me much yet, but I suppose it will have to be
considered. I’ll fight it out alone." He looked up suddenly. "When do
you go East?"
 
She smiled. "I came down here to tell you that I should leave on
Saturday."
 
He jumped up with a bitter look and walked to the window.
 
She looked over to him with her eyes half shut and a delectable
__EXPRESSION__ upon her lips. "But I’ve decided not to goat all!"
 
She almost drawled it.
 
In an instant he was back at her side, borne on a flood of happiness.
For a moment he looked at her hard. His eyes went from feature to
feature, to her hands, her hair in silent approval. Then he exclaimed
decidedly:
 
"Oh, you can’t link yourself with me in any way. I’m a social
outcastwhy, now, I haven’t even the advantage of being a picturesque
adventurer! You will compromise yourself fearfullyyou’ll be
ostracizedoh, it’s impossibleI can’t permit it!"
 
"You need not fear for yourselfor for me," she said, clasping his hand.
"If I love you, what do I carewhat should you care? I have come to you
like Porphyriabut I am no Porphyriayou’ll have no need to strangle me
in my hairmy ’darling one wish’ will be easier found than that!"
 
There was something in the unrestrained fondness of her look, now, that
made him jump to a place beside her. What might have followed was
interrupted by the sound of a familiar voice in the anteroom, demanding
Mr. Granthope. Clytie sprang up, her cheeks burning. Granthope turned
coolly to the door, with his eyebrows lifted. Mr. Payson appeared at
the entrance. He was scowling under his bushy eyebrows, the muscles of
his face were twitching. A cane was firmly clenched in his right hand.
He bent a harsh look at his daughter.
 
"What does this mean, Clytie?" he demanded.
 
She had recovered on the instant and faced him splendidly, in neither
defiance nor supplication. "It means," she said in her low, steady
voice, "that as you won’t permit me to receive Mr. Granthope in your
house, I must see him in his.""Leave this room instantly!" he thundered bombastically.

댓글 없음: