2015년 5월 21일 목요일

The Heart Line 60

The Heart Line 60


"Please don’t make a scene, father. I’m quite old enough to take care
of myself, and to judge for myself. You needn’t humiliate me."
 
"Humiliate you! If you’re not humiliated at being found here with a
cheap impostor, I don’t think I can shame you! This man is a rank
scoundrel and a cheatI won’t have you compromise yourself with such a
mountebank!"
 
Granthope stood watching her unruffled, fearless pose, confident in her
power to control the situation.
 
"Mr. Granthope is my friend, father. Don’t say anything that you may
regret. I don’t intend to leave you alone with him till you are master
of yourself, and can say what you have come to say without anger. He
has respected your request not to call on me at the house, and I came
here of my own accord, without his invitation. And he has always
treated me as a gentleman should."
 
"A gentleman!" Mr. Payson sneered. "I know what he ishe’s a damned
trickster. I’ve always suspected it, but since I kicked him out of my
house I’ve had proof of it. I know his record"he turned to
Granthope"from persons who know you well, sir!"
 
"I suppose you mean Vixley or Madam Spoll."
 
"You can’t deny that they know you pretty well?"
 
"Your daughter knows more, I think. I have just taken the liberty of
informing her as to just how much of a scoundrel I am."
 
"And you have the impertinence to consider yourself her social equal!"
 
"I think Miss Payson’s position is sufficiently assured for her to be in
no danger."
 
"Well, yours certainly is not. I’ve heard of your lady-killing. I
suppose you want to add my daughter’s scalp to your belt. Haven’t you
women enough running after you yet? So you wheedled her with a
mock-confessiontried the cry-baby on her. Well, it won’t work with me.
I’ll tell her all about you, don’t be afraid!"
 
Clytie went to him and laid a hand gently upon his arm. "Father, we’ll
go, now, please. I can’t bear this. You need only to look about you to
see that, whatever Mr. Granthope has been, he is no longer a palmist.
You see this room is already dismantledif you’ll only listen, I’ll
explain everything."
 
"It does look rather theatrical here." Mr. Payson looked at the piles
of velvet on the floor, then turned again to the young man. "It seems
that you have the audacity to want to marry my daughter. No doubt this
little scene is a part of the game. It’s very pretty, very effective.
But let me tell you that this sensational tomfoolery won’t be of any
use. You are a charlatan, sir! You’ve always been one, and you always
will be."
 
"Mr. Payson," Granthope said, with no trace of anger, "I can’t deny that
something of what you say is true, but your daughter knows that much
already, and she has it from a better authority than yours. I can’t
blame you for your feeling in this matter; it’s quite natural, for you
don’t know me. But I hope in time to induce you to believe in me. I
wish you would let me begin by doing what should have done when I first
met your daughterwarn you that you are in the hands of a dangerous set
of swindlers who are deceiving you systematically. I can tell you a
good deal that it will be greatly to your advantage to know about them."
 
The old man broke into ironic laughter. "That’s just what they told me
you’d say," he sneered. "They warned me that you’d try to libel them
and accuse them of all sorts of impossible tricks. Set a thief to catch
a thief, eh? No, that won’t work, Mr. Granthope. I happen to know too
much for that!"
 
"Won’t you listen to what he has to say, father? It can do no harm.
What do you know about those persons, after all? They are undoubtedly
trying to deceive you," Clytie said earnestly.
 
Granthope added: "I can tell you of tricks they habitually practise."
 
"What’s that to me? Haven’t I got eyes? Haven’t I common sense? Can
you tell me how they find out things about my own life that no one
living knows but me?"
 
"I can tell you how it was done in other cases"
 
"Aha, I thought soyou can tell me, for instance, how to crawl through a
trap in the mopboard, can’t you? I’d rather hear how you impose on
silly women, if you’re going in for your confessions. What do you
expect me to believe? I am quite satisfied with my own ability to
investigate. I haven’t lived for fifty years in the West to be imposed
upon by flimflam. I’m not suffering from senile decay quite yet!"
 
He took Clytie to the door; there he paused dramatically, to deliver his
parting shot.
 
"I notice you’ve hidden away that young woman you’re living with. You
might as well send for hermy daughter is not likely to be back again in
a hurry."
 
As they left, Clytie gave him a look which denied her father’s words.
 
Granthope waited till the hall door had slammed, then went into the
office, where the red-haired boy was lolling out of the window.
 
"Jim," he said, laying his hand on the boy’s shoulder, "I shall not need
you any more. Here’s your pay for the week. You needn’t come back."
 
Jim shuffled into his coat, whistling, pulled on his cap, and left
without a trace of regret. Granthope pulled a chair up to the grate.
The dusk fell, and he still remained, watching the fire.
 
 
It was after six o’clock when a knock awoke him from his reverie. He
called out a moody, annoyed, "Come in!" without rising.
 
Mrs. Page rustled in, bringing an odor of sandalwood. She was dressed in
a squirrel-coat and a Cossack cap, from which a long veil floated. Her
cheeks were rosy with the wind, her glossy hair coquetted over her
forehead in dark, springy curls. She stopped, her head on one side, her
arms saucily akimbo, as Granthope sprang up and snapped on the electric
light.
 
"Oh, I’m _so_ glad I found you!" she bubbled. "You’re run after so much
now that I knew it was only a chance, my finding you in. I hope I
didn’t disturb you at silent prayer, or anything, did I? You looked
terribly serious. Were you thinking of home and mother? If you don’t
look out, some day you’ll be framed and labeled _Pictures in the Fire_.
Now, you’re angry with me! What’s the matter? Don’t frown, please; it
isn’t at all becoming!"
 
She walked up to him, her hand outstretched. Lightly he evaded her and
forced a smile.
 
"What an iceberg you are, nowadays, Frank!" she laughed. "Don’t be
afraid; I’m not going to kiss you! It’s only little Violet, the Pride of
the Presidio. Please laugh! You used to think that was funny."
 
"Do have a seat, won’t you?" he said, in a half-hearted attempt to
conceal his distaste.
 
"Thanks, awfully, but really I can’t wait. I just simply tore to get
here, and I must go right off. You must come along with me; so get on
your hat and coat." She looked about the room for them.
 
"What is it?" he asked without curiosity.
 
"Why, a dinner, of course! What else could it be at this time of day?
It’s Mr. Summer’s affair, and I promised to get you."
 
"Mr. Summer is the latest, I suppose?"
 
She came back to him and took his coat by the two lapels, smiling up at
him.
 
"That’s mean, Frank! You know I never went back on you. But you as
much as gave me notice, as if I was a servant-girl. Gay’s a nice boy,
and I like himthat’s all. I’m educating him. Of course, he doesn’t
know what’s what, yet, but he’s rather fun. Do comewe’re going to have
dinner at the Poodle Dog, and the Orpheum afterward perhapsHeaven knows
where it’ll end. There’s an awfully swell New York girl coming, a Miss
Cavendish, and she’s simply _dying_ to meet you. You’ll like her.
She’s a sportyou can’t feaze herand she’s pretty enough to suit even
you. You can have her all to yourself. Come on!"
 
"I’m sorry, but I can’t go to-night," he said wearily.
 
"Oh, Frank, please! Not if I beg you?" She looked at him
languishingly, and tried for his hand.
 
"Really, no! I’m sorry, but I’m too busy."
 
Mrs. Page pouted and turned slowly toward the door.
 
"I suppose you’re afraid Gay’ll bore you. I’ll manage him. I’ve got
him trained. Or, if you say sowe’ll go alone? Just you and me. I can
get rid of them, some way."
 
He shook his head decidedly.
 
"Did you have such a dull time the last time over at the Hermitage?" she
tempted. "We might go there. I don’t know _when_ I’ll have another
chance. Edgar will be back soon." She raised her brows meaningly.
 
"It’s awfully good of youbut I can’t, possibly."
 
"You might say you’d _like_ to!"
 
"I don’t really care to, if you must have it!"
 
She bridled and tossed her head. "_Oh_, very well!" she sniffed, and
was off in a huff.
 
Granthope went to the desk, and, taking a bunch of keys from his pocket,
unlocked the two lower drawers. The first contained a collection of
photographs of women. He drew them out in handfuls, stopping at one
occasionally, or turning it over to see what was written upon it. The
most were inscribed, on the back, or scrawled across the face, "To Mr.
Granthope"several "To Francis"one or two "To Frank, with love." All
types of beauty were represented, all sorts of costumes, all ages, all
phases of pretty women’s vanity. He looked at some with a puzzled
__EXPRESSION__, searching his memory for a clue to their identity. At a few
he smiled sarcastically, at some he frowned. Once or twice his face
softened to tenderness or pity. There was one of Fancy amongst them,
showing her in costume. It had been taken years ago, while she was
acting. He looked at it with a sort of wonder, she seemed so young, so
girlish. On the back was written, "N.F.F.I.L." He put it back into the
drawer and gathered up the others.
 
He made a heap of them and threw them upon the fire, then dropped into
the arm-chair to watch them burn. The flames passed from face to face,
licking up the features. It was like a mimic death.
 
The other drawer was filled with letters, tied into bunches. They were
all addressed in feminine handwriting, mostly of the fashionable,
angular sort. The envelopes were postmarked chiefly from San Francisco,
but there were not a few from Eastern cities and abroad. One out of
five bore special delivery stamps. A scent of mingled perfumes came from
them. He cut the packages open and threw them into the wastebasket without stopping to read a word.

댓글 없음: