2015년 5월 22일 금요일

The Heart Line 61

The Heart Line 61


He poked up the fire, and, carrying the basket over, fed in the letters,
a handful at a time. The flames roared up the chimney, sending out a
fierce heat. It took an hour to destroy the whole collection. A mass
of distorted, blackened, filmy sheets remained.
 
As he looked, a sudden draft made one leaf of charcoal glow to a red
heat, and the writing showed plainblack on a cherry-colored ground. He
stooped curiously to read it, and saw that it was the remains of a card,
filled with Fancy Gray’s handwriting. He remembered abstracting her
notes upon Clytie, made after that first day’s reading. He had placed
it in the letter-drawer for safe keeping, and had forgotten to remove
it.
 
Only the lower part was legible:
 
"... intuitive powers (?!) Play her Mysticism.
..... Easy. Sympathetic fool ...."
 
 
The glow suddenly faded, the charred paper writhed again, black and
impotent. He gave it a vicious jab with the poker, and scattered it to
ashes.
 
 
 
 
*CHAPTER XIII*
 
*THE BLOODSUCKER*
 
 
Professor Vixley’s place was on Turk Street, the lower flat of three,
whose separate doors made a triplet at the top of a tri-divided flight
of wooden steps up from the sidewalk. The door had a plate-glass
window, behind which was a cheap lace curtain. At the side, nailed over
the letter slip, was a card bearing the written inscription,
 
+−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−+
| |
| PROF. P. VIXLEY. |
| |
+−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−−+
 
 
Inside, a narrow hall ran down into the house, doors leading at
intervals on the right hand, to small box-like rooms. The first one was
the Professor’s sitting- and reception-room, the shearing place for his
lambs. The small type-writer on a stand and his roll-top desk attempted
to give the room a businesslike aspect, while the homelier needs of
comfort were satisfied by the machine-carved Morris chair, a padded,
quilted couch with "hand-painted" sofa cushions and a macramé fringe
along the mantel. Art was represented by the lincrusta-walton dado
below the blank white plastered walls, partly covered with "spirit
photographs," and a small parlor organ in the corner. A canary in a
gilded cage gave a touch of gaiety to the apartment.
 
Here Professor Vixley sat smoking a terrible cigar. Beside him, upon a
small draped table, was a pile of small school slates, a tumbler of
water and a sad towel.
 
Opposite him, in a patent rocking-chair, was a young woman of some
twenty-four or five years. She was a blonde, with pompadoured
citron-yellow hair. Her eyes were deep violet, her nose slightly
retroussé, giving her a whimsical, almost petulantly juvenile look that
was decidedly engaging. She was dressed in black, so fittingly that no
man would remember what she wore five minutes after he left her. This
attractive creature, for she was indubitably winsome, was Flora Flint,
by profession a materializing medium. Her past was prolific in
adventure; by her alluring person and the dashing spirit shown in her
eyes, her future promised as much as her past.
 
"Are you busy to-day, Vixley?" she said.
 
"That’s what," said Vixley. "I’ve got a good graft doped out, and it’s
liable to be a big thing. First time to-day. One of Gertie Spoll’s
strikes, and we’re working him together. Old man Payson it is."
 
"Oh, that’s the one Doc Masterson expected me to help him with, isn’t
it?" Flora asked. "I wish you’d let me in on that."
 
"He ain’t in your line, Flo, I expect. Ain’t you doin’ anything now?"
 
"Only the regular set, the same old stand-bys, and there’s nothing in it
at four bits apiece. I’ve got so many people to pay that even if I get
forty or fifty in a circle my expenses eat it all up. Then I have to
keep thinking up new stunts and buy props."
 
"You don’t have to spend much on gas," Vixley laughed, as he began
washing off his slates.
 
Flora smiled. "No, but it comes to about the same thing in luminous
paint."
 
"Why don’t you make it yourself? It ain’t nothin’ but ground
oyster-shells and sulphur."
 
"Oh, it ain’t only that. I only use the best silk gauze that’ll fold up
smallthat’s expensive; then there’s a lot of work on the forms."
 
"Don’t you get your forms from Chicago now?" Vixley asked.
 
"No, they’re no good. I can make better ones myself. Oh, occasionally
I send for a rubber face or two or some cabinet attachments and
extensions. I wish I was clever enough to do the slates." She watched
the Professor sharply.
 
"Oh, they ain’t nothin’ in slates nowadaysit don’t seem to take,
somehow. They mostly prefer the psychics. I s’pose slate-writin’ has
been wrote up too muchI know a dozen books describin’ the tricks, and
here’s this Drexel chap teachin’ ’em at a dollar apiece, even. He’s a
queer guy. When he can get a bookin’ he travels as a magician; durin’
his off-times he sells his tricks to amachures, and then when he’s down
on his uppers he does the medium. I’m sorry I went into physical
mediumship; the graft’s about played outpeople is gettin’ too
intelligent. I’ve a good mind to try the developin’ stunt again."
 
"Say, do you think Madam Spoll has any real power?" Flora asked.
 
Vixley stopped in his work to become epigrammatic. "Some mediums are
’on’ and some are honestthem that’s honest are fools and them that’s
’on’ are foolin’. Gertie’s ’on’ all right, and she does considerable
fishin’. I don’t say that when she started she didn’t have some
facultyshe used to scare me good, sometimes, and she could catch a name
occasional. But Lord, it’s so much easier to fake it; you can generally
depend on human nature, and you can’t on psychometry."
 
"I can tell things sometimes," Flora ventured.
 
"Can you?" said Vixley. "Say, I wish you’d give me a readin’; they’s
somethin’ I want to know about pretty bad; p’raps you could get it for
me."
 
"Oh, I know you too well. I can’t do it much, except the first time I
see a party; but sometimes, when I’m materializing, I can go right down
and say ’I’m Henry,’ or whatever the name is."
 
"I guess they’re more likely to say, ’Are you Henry?’ They’re so crazy
to be fooled that it’s a crime to take their money."
 
"Women are. They’re easy. They simply won’t go away without a
wonderful story to tell to their friends, but men are more skeptical, as
a rule."
 
"That’s right. But, Lord, when they do swallow it, they take the hook,
bait and sinker. Why, look here, I had a party what used to come regular
about a girl he was stuck on, a Swede he was. Well, one day he went up
to this Drexel and he showed him one or two easy ways o’ workin’ the
slates, provin’ it was all tricks. The Swede comes back to me and says,
’Oh,’ says he, ’I know it’s all a fake now; you can’t fool _me_ no
more.’ I looked him straight in the eye and I says: ’Don’t you know
that fellow is really one of the best mediums in the business, and he’s
controlled by Martin Luther? He was just tryin’ to test your belief by
denyin’ the truth o’ spiritualism, and seein’ if you’d have the courage
to stand up for what you believed. If your faith ain’t no stronger than
that, after the tests I gave you, you’d better go into Mormonism and be
done with it.’"
 
"Did that hold him?"
 
"I’ve got that fellow yet; twice a month, regular, I get his little old
two dollars; Lord, he swears by me now. No, them that want to believe
_will_ believe, and you can’t pry ’em off with a crowbar. Ain’t that
right?"
 
"I guess yes!" said Flora. "But what gets my game is the widow that
used to quarrel like cats and dogs when her husband was alive and leaks
on his shoulder when he comes to her in the spirit! They’re the limit!
When a woman once gets it into her head that the dear departed can take
possession of a living body, there ain’t anything she won’t stand for.
My brother had a lovely case once. It was a woman whose husband hadn’t
passed out more than two months and she was all broke up. Well, Harry
got her to believe that her husband could get control of his body and
talk to her. At first the woman wasn’t quite sure, so Harry, talking to
her as her husband, claimed that he himself was in a dead trance.
’Why,’ he said, ’if you should stick a pin into this medium’s leg here,
he wouldn’t feel it at all!’ That was where he was foolish, for the
woman said, ’Is that so? I guess I’ll just try it and see.’ So Harry
had to stand for it while she jabbed a hat pin into him, but he was game
and didn’t whimper. Of course that convinced the woman that she was
really communicating with her lawful husband, and she begun to kiss and
hug Harry to beat the cars, she was so glad to get hubby back."
 
"Well, it’s all in a day’s work!" Vixley showed his sharp yellow fangs
in a grin.
 
"Oh, you have to make it pleasant for sitters, sometimes," Flora yawned.
 
"I guess it’s no trouble for you," Vixley said, looking at her with
admiration.
 
Flora yawned. "Well, I guess we earn our money, what with skeptics and
all. Now, if you have any of these reporters come in you can get rid of
them easybut we can’t. We’ve got to make good for the sake of the rest
of the crowd, unless they get so gay with us that we can fire ’em out."
 
"That’s right. I never bother with skeptics; what’s the use? I don’t
want their money enough to risk their jumpin’ up and gettin’ on to the
game. No, sir! When any of these slick chaps that look like newspaper
men or sports, come in, I just do a few lines and then tell ’em
conditions ain’t satisfactory and let ’em go. It ain’t no use takin’ chances."

댓글 없음: