2015년 5월 22일 금요일

the heart line 66

the heart line 66


They rose and went to the space of deck below the pilot-house and stood
by the rail. Already the tourists and emigrants were there, eager for a
first glimpse of the city. San Francisco stretched before them, a long,
pearl-gray peninsula, its profile undulating in a continuous series of
hills. Along the water front was a mêlée of shipping; behind, the
houses rose to the heaving, irregular sky-line where the blue was deep
and cloudless. The streets showed as gashes, blocking the town off into
parallel divisions. A few tall towers broke the monotony of the huddled,
colorless buildings. They passed a ferry-boat bound for Oakland, and a
foreign man-of-war lying at anchor, nosed by busy launches. The
_Piedmont_ rang down to half-speed, then the vibrations of the paddle
wheels stopped as she shot into the slip. There was a surge of
back-water, a rattling of chains and ratchets, the cables were fastened
and the apron lowered. The crowd surged forward and poured off the boat.
At the front of the Ferry Building Fancy stopped, offering her hand.
 
"Good-by," she said genially. "You’ve done me more good than a Picon
punch. I’m going home to wear my looking-glass out."
 
"You’ll never see half I do," Clytie replied, shaking her head.
 
"That’s because I haven’t got such fine eyes," countered Fancy.
 
"I think mine are never so pretty as when they have a little image of
you in them."
 
Fancy gave up the duel. "Well, I guess I’d better go quick before you
raise that! You play nothing but blue chips, and I can’t keep up!"
 
Clytie walked up Market Street alone. She turned into Geary Street at
the group of tall newspaper buildings by Lotta’s fountain, and in ten
minutes was knocking at Granthope’s office door. There being no
response she descended the stairs, crossed the street and went into the
square to wait for him upon a bench beside the soldiers’ monument.
 
There were two young women at the other end of the seat. One, scarcely
more than a girl, was pretty, in a demure, timid way; she was freckled
and tanned, her clothes were simple and neat. The other was of a
coarser grain, full-lipped, large-handed, painted and powdered, with
hard eyes and large features. She wore several cheap rings, and her
finery made her soiled and wrinkled garments look still more vulgar.
Clytie gave the two a glance and took no further interest in them until
she caught the mention of Granthope’s name.
 
She turned, astonished, to see the younger woman looking seriously at
the other. There was a charming earnestness in her face, and, though
her lower lip drooped tremulously, it was not weak; nor was her chin,
nor her nose, nor the gracefully reliant poise of her head.
 
"You ought to go see him, Kate!" she was saying. "I tell you he’s a
wonder! Why, if I hadn’t gone there I don’t know where I’d be now. I
know one thing, I wouldn’t be married. Why, when Bill was out in the
Philippines and didn’t write, I thought I’d lay down and die! I waited
about two months, and then I took five dollars I saved up for one of
them automobile coats they was all wearing, and I went to see Granthope.
What d’you think?he wouldn’t take a cent off me! That’s the kind of a
man Granthope is! He said it would be all right and Bill would come back
and marry me. But I tell you, I had to do most of the courting!"
 
"You did, did you? Do you mean to say you run after a man like
thatwithout any nose? I never see such a face in my life! If he’d
only wear a patch or something it wouldn’t be so bad," commented her
companion.
 
"Bill wouldn’t do it; he’s too proud. Nobody’s ashamed of having only
one leg or one arm, why should they be of having a nose gone?"
 
"What did you think when you first see him, though? Wan’t it
disgusting, kind of?" her companion asked, making a sour face.
 
"Why, I was so proud of him that I didn’t see anything but a man who
loved me and who had fought for his country! But it was some time
before I _did_ see him, though. He did his best not to let me."
 
"How did you ever find him?"
 
"Why, finally Mr. Granthope located Bill down at Santa Barbara. He was
working as a gardener on a place a little ways out of town. Bill’s
captain give me the money to get down there. I guess I cried pretty
near all the way, thinking of Bill hiding out like a yellow dog without
any friends. Finally I found the place. Bill was living up in a room
over the stable."
 
She paused. "Go on!" said her companion. The woman’s voice had changed
somewhat. There was something more than curiosity in its tone.
Fleurette was looking down, now, fingering her jacket. Suddenly she
began to breathe heavily.
 
"Bill had a little dog named Dot. A fox terrier, it was. Bill says he
thought it was the only living thing that didn’t despise him on account
of his looks. He was awful fond of Dot. So was I, you bet. Dot’s dead,
now." She put a handkerchief to her eyes.
 
"Well, I was dead tired. I’d walked all the way from the station. I
was pretty hungry, too. I couldn’t afford to get dinner on the train,
and I couldn’t wait to stop to eat in Santa Barbara. And I was good and
tremblybecausewell, I hadn’t seen Bill for over a year. I stumbled up
the stairs and knocked on the door, and when Bill heard my voice he
wouldn’t let me in. I heard him groanO, God! it almost broke my heart!
He called through the door for me to go away. He said he didn’t love me
any more. Of course I knew he was lying. I didn’t know what to do.
Bill’s got an awful strong will. I didn’t know how to make him believe
I didn’t care how he looked. I just sat down on the stairs and begun to
cry. Then Dot begun to whine and scratch on the door. Bill couldn’t
stand _that_. He swore at him and kicked him. It was the only time he
ever struck him, but Dot _wouldn’t_ budge and kept scratching on the
door. It was terrible. So Bill wrapped a towel round his face and
opened the door. I just fell in his arms. But he put me away from him
and said he wouldn’t curse my life, and that I must go away."
 
The other girl was staring at her, awed. "What did you do?" she
whispered.
 
"Oh, I ran up to him again, and pulled off the towel and I kissed him."
She spoke almost impersonally.
 
Kate kindled, now. "Oh, Fleurette, did you? Gee, you were game!" She
giggled somewhat hysterically. "Lucky his mouth wasn’t shot off, wasn’t
it?"
 
Fleurette gazed off across the green and spoke as to one who knew not of
life’s realities, saying, simply:
 
"Oh, I didn’t kiss him on the mouth, Katethere was plenty of time for
that! I kissed him right where that Moro bullet had wounded him!"
 
Kate shook her head slowly. "I guess you done right!" she said. Then,
"Say, I’d like to see Bill again, Fleurette."
 
Clytie arose, gave the girl one swift glance as she left, and walked
away. She had met two heroines that day, and her nerves were vibrating
like tense strings. She walked up and down the square, keeping her eyes
on Granthope’s doorway.
 
In half an hour she saw him striding up Geary Street. She followed him
rapidly, ran up the stairs and knocked again at his door. He opened it
and took her instantly into his arms. She lay there without speaking,
and there was a blessed interval of silence after his kiss.
 
The stimulating newness of possession thrilled him. She was still
strange, mysterious, of a different caste, and there was something
deliriously fearful in this familiarity as she lay captive, unresisting,
trembling in his embrace. He had set his trap for a sparrow and caught
a bird of paradise. He knew his power over her, now, though he dared
not test it. He dreaded to break the spell of her wonderful
condescension, her royal grace and favor. He was in no hurry to remove
her crown and scepter; the piquancy of his romance fascinated him.
 
She broke away from him with a gentle insistence, and looked at him,
rosy and smiling. "I’m afraid I’m just like all other women, after
alland I’m glad of it!" she confessed, as she readjusted her hat and
sank into the arm-chair to look up at him fondly.
 
"I don’t suppose you realize how strange it seems for me to act this
way?" she said. "No man has ever held me in his arms before. I have
never thought of the possibility of iteven with you. All that sort of
demonstration has been inhibitedI have always wondered if I had any
passion in me. Of course, when I kissed you the other time it was
differentit was the seal of a compact. But this time it seemed so
natural that I didn’t think. This is the end of my virginal serenity
for ever. I think you have awakened me at last!"
 
She broke into happy laughter. "Did I do it well, dear? I’m ashamed to
think how inexperienced I amand you have known so many cleverer women.
If you call me amateurish, I’ll slay you! But I think I shall be an apt
pupil, though. Francis, stop laughing at me, or I’ll go home!"
 
Her naïveté was breaking up that glorified seraphic vision he had held
of her and put her more nearly on his level, or, perhaps, raised him to
her. He let his wonder fade slowly. However, with all his customary
audacity he could not yet match her mood. She saw his reserve and took a
woman’s delight in wooing him.
 
"Must I convince you that I am flesh and blood?" she exclaimed with
spirit. "And youthe lady-killerthe hero of a hundred victoriesyou
don’t seem to know that you have me at your feet! Nor how proud I am of
it!"
 
Then she jumped up and took his hands in hers softly. "You must be very
good to me, Francis, dear, for I’m simple and ignorant compared to the
women you’ve known, I suppose. But I’m a woman, after all. I don’t
want to be worshiped. I want the tenderness of an honest man’s love,
such as other women have. I want my divine birthright. I’ve been aloof
from men all my life. That doesn’t make me any less desirable, does it?
I’ve never met a man who answered my demands. You do, or you will
before I’m through with you. Don’t think I’m going to be all moonshine
and vapors. I’m going to love you till stars dance in the heavens!
That’s what you get for wakening me, my friend! I’ve been asleep,
floating in dreams. I want a man’s strength and chivalry and audacity
and vigor and romance, instead of the painted shadows I’ve known.
Aren’t you afraid of me?" She dropped her head to his shoulder.

댓글 없음: