2015년 5월 22일 금요일

The Heart Line 67

The Heart Line 67


He needed no further hint. He put away her halo and her crown, he drew
the ermine from her, and the vision in her eyes was made manifest. But
it was still too new for her to more than sip at the cup of delight; she
would take her happiness by epicurean inches. So she slid away and
evaded him, putting the chair half-mockingly between them.
 
"My father has forbidden me to come down here to see you," she said.
"It’s really quite romantic. But of course I told him I should come,
nevertheless, so we can’t quite call it clandestine. He’ll never dare
ask me if I’ve been here. He’s quite afraid of me, when I insist upon
having my own way."
 
"Have you said anything about Madam Spoll and Vixley to him?"
 
"Yes, but that’s no use. They certainly seem to have given him some
wonderful testsI don’t see how they could have done so welland he’s
absolutely convinced. I don’t see what we can do, unless we wait for
them to go too far and arouse his suspicions. I can’t think he’s
feeble-minded. They’re making him pay, though that’s the least of the
matter."
 
"I have had an idea that I might get hold of one of the ganga Doctor
Mastersonand induce him to sell them out. He’s a turncoat, and if he
only knows enough about their game he could be bribed."
 
"I must leave it to you, Francis. I don’t like that method, exactly,
but we must do what we can. Perhaps it will settle itself. We can do
nothing yet, at any rate. To-day I’ve come down to ask you to invite me
to lunch, please!"
 
"With pleasureonly, if I must confessI don’t know that I can offer you
a very good one. Wait I’ll see how much money I have left." He felt
doubtfully in his pocket, and added, "Oh, that’s all right, we can go to
the Palace."
 
Clytie was instantly suspicious. "How much have you?"
 
"Quite enough."
 
"Answer me, sir!"
 
"About twelve dollars."
 
She gasped. "Do you mean to say that’s _all_ you have left?"
 
"Everything. But my rent is paid for a month in advance."
 
"Have you any debts?"
 
"Naturally. Two hundred dollars or so, that’s all."
 
She came up to him and worked her finger into his buttonhole. "Francis
Granthope," she said solemnly, "are you reallyruined?" Her eyes
danced.
 
"Oh, I’ve got enough junk in my chamber to pay that off, I expect, but
it won’t leave me exactly affluent."
 
She burst into a delicious chime of laughter. "Why, it’s positively
melodramatic, isn’t it? I never happened to know any one who was
actually bankrupt before. Of course it must happen, sometimes, but
somehow I thought people could always raise some money, even if they had
to scrimp. How exciting it isaren’t you nervous about it? Why, I’d be
frightened to death! And yet it seems terribly amusing!"
 
He laughed with her. "I can’t seem to take it very seriously, while
you’re with me, at any rate. To tell the truth, I haven’t begun to think
about it yet. Of course my fees have always been in cash, and
consequently there’s nothing coming in. And I’ve always spent every
cent I made, and a little more. But I’ve been broke before, and it
doesn’t alarm me, except that, of course, I can’t depend upon living by
my wits in quite the same way as I would have, if I hadn’t chucked that
sort of thing. If I didn’t care how I did it, I suppose I could make a
hundred or so a week easily enough."
 
She listened and grew more serious. "Of course that’s all over. But
you’ve got to have money! Let’s see what I have with me." She took her
purse from her bag and emptied it upon the desk. Several ten- and
twenty-dollar gold pieces rolled out.
 
Granthope shook his head sharply. "No, don’t do that, please! I can’t
take anything, even as a loan, you know. I can’t spend a cent I haven’t
honestly earnedI never shall again, if I have to starve, which I don’t
intend to do, either. You must know that."
 
"But from meisn’t that different?"
 
"Not even from you!"
 
"Of course you mustn’t. I see. It’s better not to, yet somehow I could
have forgiven you if you had let me help a little at first. I don’t
exactly see how you’re going to live. Why, it’s awful, when you come to
think of it, isn’t it? It really is serious. What a goose I’ve been!
I’m afraid I shall worry about you now. Well, you’ll have to have lunch
with _me_ to-day, anyway. That’s only fair, if I invite you."
 
"On the contrary, I’m going to invite you to share my humble meal."
 
"All right; let’s be reckless then, if you _must_ be proud and show off.
It will be fun. I never economized in my life, but now I’m going to
show you how. Hand over all your wealth, please."
 
She counted it out upon the desk, a five dollar piece, six silver
dollars and two halves and a few nickels. "Now," she said, "how long
can we make this lasta week?"
 
"I’ve lived for three weeks on that much, often, and paid for my room."
 
"Something’s bound to happen within ten days, I’m sure. If you see
nothing ahead at the end of a week, I’ll put you on half-rations, and
till then I’ll allow you a dollar a day. Shall I keep it for you?"
 
He was delighted to have a treasurer.
 
"Now we’ll take fifty cents and go to some nice dairy place and sit on a
stool."
 
But, as he insisted upon a place where they could talk in quiet, they
went, instead, to a shady little restaurant around the corner, and there
they seriously discussed his prospects.
 
He did so whimsically. It was really absurd that he, in full health,
six feet high and a hundred and seventy pounds in weight, at
twenty-eight, could do nothing, so far as he knew, to support himself
honestly. He had been a parasite upon the vanity of fools. After much
casting about for ideas, she sent for an _Examiner_ and began to search
through the "Help Wanted; Male" column.
 
The Barber’s College she rejected first, although he pointed out the
advantageous fact that it offered "wages while learning." Canvassing
for books or watches they both agreed was not interesting enough.
Boot-blackhe raised his eyebrows in consideration, she shook her head
energetically; it was too conspicuous, with these open-air sidewalk
stands. She turned up her nose, also, at the idea of his distributing
circulars. The Marine Corps tempted him nextbut no, she couldn’t think
of sparing him for three years, not to speak of a girl in every port.
She asked him what a job-press feeder was; he didn’t know, but he was
sure he couldn’t do itit would be all he could do to feed himself.
Profilerif he could make as good a profile as Clytie’s now, he might
get that job. But it appeared to be something connected with a
machine-shop. He looked at his white hands and smiled. Weavers,
warpers and windersequally mysterious and impossible. The rest of the
wants were for mechanics and tradesmen. Clytie dropped the paper,
disappointed.
 
He declined to let the matter disturb him, as yet. He had no fear of the
future, and the present was too charming not to be enjoyed to the full.
 
"What I’ve always wanted to do," he said, "is to study medicine. If I
could get money enough ahead to put myself through a medical school, I
wouldn’t mind beginning even at my age. I think I’m fitted for that,
for I’ve cultivated my powers of observation and I know a good deal
about human nature, and I’ve read everything I could lay my hands on.
Some day I shall try that."
 
"Very well, Doctor Granthope, I shall make up my mind to being a
doctor’s wife, and being rung up at all hours, and being alone half the
time."
 
"I wasn’t aware that I had proposed yet," he answered jocosely.
 
"Why, people don’t propose, now, do they? Not real people. What a
Bromide you are!" she laughed joyously.
 
"I’ll have to disprove that. Let’s spend the rest of the afternoon out
of doors and get acquainted! Then when I have a good chance I’ll ask if
you’ll be my wife. Do you realize how little we know of one another?
It’s ridiculous. Why, you may have a middle name for all I know! You
may eat sugar on canteloupe or vinegar on your oysters; you may be an
extraordinary mimic; you may have escaped sudden death; you may have
been engaged when you were seventeen; you may sulk; you may mispronounce
my favorite words! How do I know but you like magenta and Germans and
canary birds, and wear Jaegers; and object to profanity and nicknames,
and say ’well-read’ and read the _Philistine_!"
 
"Good Lord, deliver us! That’s a devil’s liturgy!" In denial of his
categories she held him out her palm. "Oh, you should know me by that
right hand! You’re supposed to be a trained observer of symptoms and
stigmata. _You’re_ the one who needs investigation! Do you realize
what a risk I am running? Why, I haven’t yet heard you speak to a dog,
or answer a beggar, or seen you eat a banana, or watch a vaudeville
showand all four are necessary before I really know you."
 
She bent her head in mock humility and looked up at him from beneath her
golden lashes. "You needn’t be afraid, Francis; if you tell me what
your rules are, I’ll obey them. If you _really_ want me to wear
magenta, I shall be terribly fond of it, and I shall only think I’ve
been stupid all my life to loathe it, and be so glad to learn. But I
hope you don’t!"
 
"If you’ll allow me five cents for dessert," he said as seriously, "I’ll
order bananas, at the risk of losing you for ever."
 
They had begun now to revel in the piquancy of the situation. Their
meetings had, up to this time, seemed fatal in their dramatic sequence,
fraught with meaning, working steadily up to the climax in the studio.
There had been few scenes between them, but those scenes had been
cumulative in feeling. They had played their parts like actors in a play
of destiny, a play whose plot had been closely knit and esthetically
economical in incident and dialogue, each act developing logically the
previous situation. Now that the tension was released, and the reaction
had come after an histrionic catastrophe, each looked at the other with
new eyes, seeking the living person under the tragic mask.
 
In this delightful pursuit they came upon such fantastic surprises, such
rare coincidences, such lovely similarities of whim and taste and
prejudice, and, above all, such a rare harmony in their points of view
on life, that their talk was as exciting as if they had just met for the
first time. The talk ran on, back and forth, lively with continual
revelation. It came out, not in dominating trends of thought, or
principled opinions, but in many charming lesser exemplifications of
their mutual fastidiousness. She reached for a plate, and his hand was
outstretched to give it to her at precisely the same instanttheir
fingers touched, and their eyes spoke in delighted surprise. He
discovered that she, like himself, took no sugar in her coffee, and on
that consanguinity of taste an imaginative structure arose, to be
destroyed with equal delight when he found that she was resisting a
temptation to use cream. She quoted spontaneously a line from Stevenson
that, for no reason whatever, he had always loved: "For to my mind one
thing is as good as another in this world, and a shoe of a horse will
do." She knew his language, he fulfilled her test. Such were their tiny psychological romances at table.

댓글 없음: