2015년 4월 30일 목요일

Marianela 14

Marianela 14


"I cannot but think, dear Sofía, that you are unreasonably devoted to
the little dog. To be sure a dog that cost two hundred _duros_, is
indeed a dog among dogs. Still, I cannot but ask myself how it is that
you have spent time and money in making a great-coat for his highness
the terrier, while it has never occurred to you to buy a pair of shoes
for Nela."
 
"Shoes for Nela!" exclaimed Sofía laughing. "What for, I should like
to know. She would have worn them through in two days. You may laugh
at me as much as you please--well, I admit that my affection for Líli
amounts to an extravagance; still, you cannot accuse me of want of
charity.--Nor indeed, I must say, should I ever allow you to take
such a liberty," and as she spoke she drew herself up with a solemn
look of offended dignity. "As to knowing how to exercise charity
with due prudence and judgment, I believe I may hold my own with
any one, be it whom it may--for charity does not consist merely in
giving without rhyme or reason, not knowing whether your alms are well
or ill-bestowed. Do you suppose you can teach me anything? My dear
Teodoro, I am quite as experienced in such matters as you are in the
treatment of eyes."
 
"I know, I know, my dear.--You have done wonders. You need not tell me
for the fiftieth time of all the dramatic entertainments, balls and
bull-fights, you have got up for the benefit of the poor, nor of the
lotteries, which have brought in large sums; though, after providing
food for any number of idle vagabonds, there has been but a small
fraction left for the sick and suffering! All these facts only go to
prove to my mind the singular state of a society, which cannot be
charitable without dancing, bull-fights or lottery tickets.--No, we
need not discuss all that; I know and admire those heroic achievements;
they have their good side, and that not a small one. But you and your
gay friends very rarely put yourself in connection with any poor soul,
to learn from his own lips the cause and history of his misery, or to
discern what kind of wretchedness it is that oppresses him--for there
are, actually, some troubles so extraordinary that the gift of a few
coppers can do nothing to alleviate them, no, nor even a morsel of
bread."
 
"Here we have our philosopher well astride on his hobby," said Sofía
spitefully. "Pray how do you know what I have ever done, or what I
ought to do?"
 
"Nay, do not be vexed," said Golfin; "for all my discourse tends to a
single point, and that is that Nela should have shoes."
 
"Very well, then to-morrow morning I will buy her a pair."
 
"No--for I will buy them myself this evening. Do not poach on my
preserves, Señora."
 
"Here--Nela," cried the lady, seeing that she had gone some distance
ahead. "Do not go so fast; keep in sight that I may see what you are
about."
 
"Poor little creature!" said her husband. "Who could guess she was
sixteen years old!"
 
"She is dreadfully stunted, miserable little thing!" exclaimed
Sofía. "I cannot help asking, why God should permit such creatures to
live? And again I ask myself, what in the world can be done for her?
Nothing--nothing, but to feed and clothe her after a fashion--but you
see, she tears everything she puts on. She cannot labor because she
faints away--she has not strength enough to do any kind of work. She
skips from stone to stone, or climbs the trees, playing and chattering
the whole day long and singing like the birds; what clothes she has are
soon reduced to rags...."
 
"And yet," said Cárlos, "I have noticed that she is very intelligent.
There is a great deal of acuteness and cleverness under that simple
exterior and wild rusticity. No, no, Nela is no fool by a long way.
If any one had taken the trouble to teach her anything, she would
have learnt it better, perhaps, than most children. Would you believe
it? Nela has a great imagination; but lacking, as she does, the most
rudimentary knowledge, it has of course, made her sentimental and
superstitious."
 
"In point of fact she is in the condition of all primitive races," said
Teodoro. "She is at the pastoral stage of civilization."
 
"Only yesterday," Cárlos went on, "I was passing by La Trascava and I
saw her sitting exactly where we found her again just now. I called her
and made her come to me, and I asked her what she was doing there; and
with the most perfect simplicity she told me she was talking with her
mother.--You know, perhaps, that Nela's mother threw herself into that
chasm."
 
"That is to say that she killed herself," said Sofía. "She was a
woman of bad character and worse feeling, from all I have heard of
her. Cárlos was not living here then, but they say she drank like a
stoker. And I ask you: Do these vile creatures, who end a life of sin
by committing the greatest crime of all--Suicide--deserve any pity from
the human race? There are things too horrible to contemplate--wretches
that ought never to have been born. Teodoro may argue as much as he
likes, but I cannot help asking you...."
 
"Ask nothing, my dear sister," said Teodoro warmly. "For I could only
reply that the suicide deserves our deepest and fullest pity. So far as
abuse goes, heap it on her by all means, and as much as you please; but
at the same time it might be as well to enquire what were the causes
that brought her to such a fearful extremity of desperation--and I may
add that if society had not wholly abandoned her and left her no way
out but the yawning door of that hideous abyss which seemed to invite
her...."
 
"Abandoned by society! Well, some must be ..." said Sofía flippantly.
"Society cannot take care of every one. Look at the statistics of
population--only look, and you will see how many poor there are to
provide for. Besides, supposing society does overlook some--what is
religion for?"
 
"I am speaking of those poor wretches who add to all their other
miseries, ignorance, which is the greatest of all. An ignorant soul,
debased and superstitious, has none but the vaguest and absurdest
ideas of God. The sense of something Great and Unknown, instead of
withholding him, impels him to crime. It is rarely indeed that the
thought of religion is of any good to those who vegetate in stolid
ignorance. No intelligent friend ever goes near them, neither master
nor priest; the only superior they ever come into contact with, is the
judge who tries them.
 
"It is strange to see how inexorably you condemn what, after all, is
your own work!" he went on, twisting the stick on which his hat was
still mounted. "You stand looking straight before you, seeing at the
very threshold of your own comfortable homes a crowd of neglected
creatures, deprived of everything that childhood needs, from parents
to playthings--you see them, I say, without its ever occurring to you
to raise them an inch in the world, by telling them that they too are
human beings, and giving them some of the ideas they so deplorably
lack, without ever dreaming of ennobling them by lifting them out of
their brutalizing, mechanical toil, to some intelligent work; you see
them dwelling in filthy hovels, ill-fed, sinking lower day by day in
their savage squalor, and it never occurs to you to spare for them a
little of the comfort and luxury that surround you! You save all your
energies to declaim against murder, robbery and suicide, without ever
reflecting that you are, in fact, keeping open school for these three
crimes."
 
"You seem to forget that there are houses of refuge, hospitals,
asylums ..." said Sofía tartly. "Read statistics, Teodoro, and you will
see the number of miserable creatures.... Read statistics."
 
"I do not read statistics, my dear sister, and your statistics count
for nothing with me. Asylums are good--not that they can ever solve the
great problem of orphanage. A hapless orphan, dropped in the streets
or in the fields, bereft of all personal affection, and cared for only
by a town council--rarely, indeed, is the vacuum filled which yawns
in his soul for the love of a parent--not to speak of the vacuum where
self-respect, honor, and responsibility ought to be, and so rarely are
found. And on that point I have an idea of my own--but, perhaps, it
will appear to you absurd...."
 
"Tell us, at any rate."
 
"The problem of orphanhood, and the miseries of infancy, will never
be completely and finally solved, any more than the rest of our great
social problems; still, it will be lightened when custom, supported by
law--yes, by law, you see I am in earnest--when custom and law insist
that every orphan, whatever its birth--do not laugh--has a right to
claim adoption by some married couple in easy circumstances, and who
have no children. By this plan, there will be no childless parents, and
no fatherless children."
 
"Yes, by this plan," retorted Sofía, "we should be parents to Nela!"
 
"And why not?" said Teodoro. "At the same time you would not waste
two hundred _duros_ in buying a dog, nor the livelong blessed day in
talking nonsense to his highness, Master Líli."
 
"And why are rich bachelors to be exempt under this delightful law? Why
should not they also be burthened, each with his orphan?"
 
"I have no objection ..." said the doctor; he was looking at the
ground. "But what is this? Blood?"
 
They all looked down, and at regular intervals they saw small spots of
blood.
 
"Mercy!" cried Sofía, covering her eyes. "It is Nela--see, it is where
she has trodden; these are her footmarks."
 
"Oh yes! I see. It was when she went into the brambles to fetch your
precious dog. Nela, come here."
 
Nela, whose right foot was bleeding a good deal, came hobbling back
again.
 
"Give me my poor Líli," said the lady, taking the dog out of the ragged
child's arms. "Do not hurt him; does it hurt you much? Poor little
thing.--Oh! how it is bleeding.--I cannot bear to look at it." And
Sofía turned her back to spare her sensitive nerves, hugging Líli more
closely.
 
"Let us see what has happened," said Teodoro, lifting Nela up and
seating her on a high stone that was at hand. Then, putting on his
spectacles, he said: "It is quite a trifle, only a few scratches; there
is a thorn in here I rather think.--That hurts you? Yes, just so, here
is the villain.--Wait a minute. Now, Sofía if you cannot look on at a
surgical operation, you had better walk on."
 
While his sister went slowly forward to save her nervous system this
terrible shock, Golfin took a small case out of his pocket and a pair
of tweezers out of the case, and in less than a winking the thorn was
extracted.
 
"That is a brave little woman," he said to Nela, who had not even
winced. "Now we will tie this foot up." And he bound it round with his
handkerchief. Marianela jumped down to walk and Cárlos offered her his hand.

댓글 없음: