2015년 4월 30일 목요일

Marianela 26

 Marianela 26

"Yes, oh yes, Señor. He told me I should be his companion as long as he
lived--and--and I believed him."
 
"And why should you not?"
 
"He said he could not live without me, and that even if he ever could
see he would still love me. I was quite happy; I was ugly, and little,
and ill-made, but I did not care, for he could not see me; and in his
darkness he thought I was pretty.--And then...."
 
"Then," said Golfin gently, for he was filled with pity. "I see the
fault is all mine."
 
"Fault, no; for you did a good deed. You are very, very good. It
is good to have given him his sight. I know, I tell myself, that
it is good; but after that I must go away, quite away--for he will
see Señorita Florentina and will compare me with her--and Señorita
Florentina is as pretty as the angels, and I--it is like comparing a
piece of broken glass with the sun! Of what good can I be? I dreamed
that I ought never to have been born! Oh why was I ever born? God made
a mistake; he gave me an ugly face, and a miserable little body, and
such a large heart! But of what use to me is a large heart?--It is a
torment and nothing else. Woe is me! If I did not keep it under, it
would hate and detest a great many people. And yet I do not want to
hate people--I do not know how to hate them, and I would rather bury my
miserable heart than live to learn to hate; bury it, so that it should
not torment me any more."
 
"You are tormented by jealousy, and by your sense of humiliation. Poor
little one, you are indeed alone! Neither the knowledge you lack, nor
the home you have never had, nor the work you cannot do would avail to
save you from this. But tell me, what do you feel about the protection
and kindness that Florentina offers you?"
 
"Terror! Shame!" exclaimed Nela, opening her eyes wide in horror. "To
live with them--to see them constantly! For they will marry--my heart
tells me they will marry; I dreamed it, I know it."
 
"But Florentina is very kind; she will love you dearly."
 
"Yes, and I love her--but not at Aldeacorba!" cried the girl in wild
accents. "She came to rob me of what was mine--for he was mine--yes,
Señor, he was indeed. Florentina is like the Blessed Virgin--I will
pray to her, yes, Señor, and worship her; but I do not want her to take
away what is my own--and she will take it away--she has taken it away
already! And where am I to go to; what am I, what good am I in the
world at all? I have lost everything and I want to go to my mother."
 
She walked away; but Golfin seized her as a wild beast clutches its
prey, and held her tightly by the wrist. As he did so he felt her quick
and fluttering pulse.
 
"Come here," he said. "From this moment, whether you like it or no,
you are my slave. You are mine, and you are to do nothing but what I
tell you. Poor little soul, full of eager feeling, of fervent fancy,
frankness and superstition--you have a nature framed for all that is
good; but it has been ruined by the wild life you have led, by neglect
and want of training, and even the most elementary teaching! What
a hideous state of society we live in, which forgets its duties so
utterly, and leaves a precious creature like this perish!--Come here;
I am not going to let you quit my side. I have hunted you down and
caught you--caught you in a trap in the midst of the woods, in some
sylvan wilderness, and now I shall try to teach you and train you. We
will see if this rough diamond cannot be cut and polished. Ah! you do
not even know how ignorant you are; and I shall open a new world to
your mind, show you a thousand wonderful things that you have never
understood, though you have a vague and dim idea of some of them. Tell
me, cannot you feel in your soul a germ--how shall I explain myself?
a bud, of that rarest and most beautiful grace: Humility? The mother
of all the virtues; which, strange to say, makes us actually happy
when we see ourselves subordinate to others? Have you never felt the
impulse of self-denial, which makes us rejoice in sacrificing ourselves
for others, in making ourselves small that some one else may become
great?--But you will learn this, child; you will learn to lay your
ugliness at the feet of beauty, to look on with calm satisfaction and
joy at the triumphs of others, to fetter that great wild heart of yours
and bring it into subjection, so that you shall never feel envy nor
rage, but will love your neighbor as yourself, and rise superior to all
who may have injured or hurt you. You shall be made all that Nature
meant you to be when she endowed you at your birth. Hapless child! Born
in a Christian country, and not even a Christian! Your soul dwells in
a sort of poetic worship of nature.--You cannot understand me, little
one, but so it is. You are in the state of those primitive peoples
of whom the memory even hardly survives--governed by your instincts
and passions, while beauty is your dearest idol. Eighteen centuries
have been devoted in vain to spiritualizing humanity, so far as you
are concerned. And as to the selfish world which has left you to such
a fate!--What name does it deserve? You have lived in these mines, a
solitary soul, not taught a single letter, not even sent to an infant
school, though you would have learnt little enough there; not even
given the most imperfect teaching in that religion of which your nation
boasts. Why, you have never been inside a church except to stare at
some ceremony which to you had no meaning; you cannot even mutter a
prayer that you understand; you know nothing of the world, or of God,
or your own soul....
 
"But you shall know all this; you shall be a different creature. You
shall no longer be hapless little Nela, but a good, and honest, and
useful woman."
 
It would be rash to assert that Nela had understood all this speech,
which Golfin declaimed with such vehemence and fervor that he entirely
forgot the person to whom he was speaking. But the little outcast
felt a curious fascination, and the spirit of her friend's utterances
sank gently into her soul, and soothed it, and compelled her to
blind assent. His power over the untaught girl was that fateful and
irresistible control which a superior mind exercises over an inferior
one. Sad but unresisting, her head drooped against the surgeon's
shoulder.
 
"Come along," Golfin said resolutely.
 
Nela trembled from head to foot; a cold sweat stood on her face, and
Golfin felt that her hands were icy-cold, and her pulses beating
violently; but he failed to attribute this physical condition to her
mental anguish; he held her hand more firmly and repeated: "Come--it is
cold here."
 
His power over her was so great that she rose as he did, and they went
a little way together. But then Nela stopped, and fell on her knees.
 
"Oh, Señor!" she cried in an agony: "Do not take me away with you."
 
She was very pale, and looked wrecked by physical and mental misery.
Golfin tried to pull her up; but her helpless frame did not stir by
any strength of her own. It was clear she must be carried like a
senseless corpse.
 
"One day," said Golfin, "not very long since, almost in this very
place, I took you on my shoulders to carry you. Now I must do the same
it seems."
 
He lifted her in his arms; her hot breath seemed to burn his face. She
was drooping, fading, dying like a plant torn up from the soil, and
with its roots laid bare.
 
As they got nearer to Aldeacorba, Golfin felt some life returning to
the dead weight in his arms. Nela raised her head, and threw up her
hands in despair, but she said nothing.
 
They went in; all was silent. A maid servant came to meet them, and by
Teodoro's desire she conducted him noiselessly to Florentina's room.
 
Florentina was alone. By the light of a fast-dying lamp she was
kneeling on the floor, her elbows resting on the seat of a chair, and
praying with absorbed devotion. She was startled at seeing a man at her
door at so late an hour, but her alarm at once gave way to surprise,
when she saw the burden Golfin bore in his strong arms.
 
Her astonishment was too great for speech when the doctor, carefully
depositing his load on a sofa, said:
 
"I have caught her you see.--What do you say to that? Am I a good
butterfly hunter?"
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XX.
 
A NEW WORLD.
 
 
We must now go back a few days.
 
When Teodoro Golfin first removed the bandage for a few moments from
Pablo Penáguilas' eyes, the boy uttered a cry of terror. Every impulse
made him shrink from all he saw; he put out his hands as though by
pushing away one object he could get away farther from the rest.
Luminous space was to him like a vast void into which he felt as if he
must fall; and the instinct of self-preservation made him close his
eyes to feel himself safe. However, his father, the surgeon, and the
rest of them, persuaded him to try once more, for all were equally
anxious; he looked again, but his terror was no less. The images
of all he saw, rushed into his brain with such sudden violence and
confusion--with a sort of storm and assault, as it were--that he felt
as if they were falling upon him bodily. The distant mountains seemed
to lie within reach, and the persons and objects that were near him
seemed, literally, to strike his eyes.
 
Golfin noted these phenomena with the most eager interest; this was
the second case of cure of congenital blindness which he had had the
opportunity of studying. The others hardly dared to be glad; they
were so bewildered and alarmed by the agitating effects produced on
the patient by the first exercise of the function of sight. To Pablo
himself it was a series of delightful experiments. His nerves and his
imagination were so seriously excited the surgeon thought it prudent to
compel him to rest.
 
"Now," he said, smiling, "you have seen enough for to-day. You cannot
step out of darkness into light, into the wide domain of the sun, as
you would walk into a theatre. This is a new birth, with pain as well
as joy in it."
 
Presently the young fellow was so eager to try his newly-found power
once more, that Golfin consented to open a crack, as it were, upon the
outer world.
 
"My whole mind," said Pablo, trying to explain his first impressions,
"seems bathed in beauty--a beauty I had never dreamed of before. What
were the things which rushed in upon me and filled me with terror? It
was the sense of size, of space, which I had never before conceived
of but in a very imperfect manner, and which dawned upon me clear and
terrible; as if I were being dragged up to the highest mountains and
down to the deepest abyss. It is all grand and beautiful, but it makes
me tremble. But I want to feel it all once more. All the glory and
loveliness that I gazed at has made me feel bewildered and humbled; it
was like some serene and majestic presence bending down to meet me.
The whole universe seemed to be rushing towards me and I was startled
and terror stricken--the sky looked like a vast space, watching,
listening--I cannot put it into words.--It was vacancy, but strangely
full of __EXPRESSION__. All that landscape of sky and mountains looked at
me, came down upon me--but it was all so cold, and grand, and stern.
Let me see something delicate, something gentle and lovable--Nela! Where is Nela?"

댓글 없음: