2015년 4월 30일 목요일

Marianela 2

Marianela 2



The voice which had for a few minutes so charmed the lost wanderer with
its enchanting strains was dying away in the dark void, and at the
shouts of Golfin it was suddenly silent. Beyond a doubt the mysterious
gnome, who was solacing its underground loneliness by singing its
plaintive loves, had taken fright at this rough interruption by a human
being, and fled to the deepest caverns of the earth, where precious
gems lay hidden, jealous of their own splendor.
 
"This is a pleasant state of things--" muttered Golfin, thinking that
after all he could do no better than light his cigar.--"There seems no
reason why it should not go on for a hundred years. I can smoke and
wait. It was a clever idea of mine that I could walk up alone to the
mines of Socartes. My luggage will have got there before me--a signal
proof of the advantages of 'on, straight on.'"
 
A light breeze at this instant sprang up, and Golfin fancied he
heard the sound of footsteps at the bottom of the unknown--or
imaginary--abyss before him; he listened sharply, and in a minute felt
quite certain that some one was walking below. He stood up and shouted:
 
"Girl, man, or whoever you are, can I get to the mines of Socartes by
this road?"
 
He had not done speaking when he heard a dog barking wildly, and then a
manly voice saying: "Choto, Choto! come here!"
 
"Hi there!" cried the traveller. "My good friend--man, boy, demon, or
whatever you are, call back your dog, for I am a man of peace."
 
"Choto, Choto!..."
 
Golfin could make out the form of a large, black dog coming towards
him, but after sniffing round him it retired at its master's call;
and at that moment the traveller could distinguish a figure, a man,
standing as immovable as a stone image, at about ten paces below him,
on a slanting pathway which seemed to cut across the steep incline.
This path, and the human form standing there, became quite clear now to
Golfin, who, looking up to the sky, exclaimed:
 
"Thank God! here is the mad moon at last; now we can see where we are.
I had not the faintest notion that a path existed so close to me, why,
it is quite a road. Tell me, my friend, do you know whether the mines
of Socartes are hereabout?"
 
"Yes, Señor, these are the mines of Socartes; but we are at some
distance from the works."
 
The voice which spoke thus was youthful and pleasant, with the
attractive inflection that indicates a polite readiness to be of
service. The doctor was well pleased at detecting this, and still
better pleased at observing the soft light, which was spreading through
the darkness and bringing resurrection to earth and sky, as though
calling them forth from nothingness.
 
"_Fiat lux!_" he said, going forward down the slope. "I feel as if I
had just emerged into existence from primeval chaos.... Indeed, my good
friend, I am truly grateful to you for the information you have given
me, and for the farther information you no doubt will give me. I left
Villamojada as the sun was setting.--They told me to go on, straight
on...."
 
"Are you going to the works?" asked the strange youth, without stirring
from the spot or looking up towards the doctor, who was now quite near
him.
 
"Yes, Señor; but I have certainly lost my way."
 
"Well, this is not the entrance to the mines. The entrance is by the
steps at Rabagones, from which the road runs and the tram-way that
they are making. If you had gone that way you would have reached the
works in ten minutes. From here it is a long way, and a very bad road.
We are at the outer circle of the mining galleries, and shall have to
go through passages and tunnels, down ladders, through cuttings, up
slopes, and then down the inclined plane; in short, cross the mines
from this side to the other, where the workshops are and the furnaces,
the machines and the smelting-house."
 
"Well, I seem to have been uncommonly stupid," said Golfin, laughing.
 
"I will guide you with much pleasure, for I know every inch of the
place."
 
Golfin, whose feet sank in the loose earth, slipping here and tottering
there, had at last reached the solid ground of the path, and his first
idea was to look closely at the good-natured lad who addressed him.
For a minute or two he was speechless with surprise.
 
"You!" he said, in a low voice.
 
"I am blind, it is true, Señor," said the boy. "But I can run without
seeing from one end to the other of the mines of Socartes. This stick I
carry prevents my stumbling, and Choto is always with me, when I have
not got Nela with me, who is my guide. So, follow me, Señor, and allow
me to guide you."
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER II.
 
GUIDED RIGHT.
 
 
"And were you born blind?" asked Golfin, with eager interest, arising
not only from compassion.
 
"Yes, Señor, born blind," replied the lad, with perfect simplicity.
"I only know the world by fancy, feeling and hearing. I have learned
to understand that the most wonderful portion of the universe is that
which is unknown to me. I know that the eyes of other people are not
like mine, since they are able to distinguish things by them--but the
power seems to me so extraordinary, that I cannot even imagine the
possibility of its existence."
 
"Who knows ..." Golfin began. "But what strange scene is this, my
friend? What a wonderful place we are in!"
 
The traveller, who had been walking by the side of his companion,
stood still in astonishment at the weird view which lay before him.
They were in a deep basin resembling the crater of a volcano; the
ground at the bottom was broken and rough, and the sloping sides still
more so. Round the margin and in the middle of the vast caldron,
which looked even larger than it was in the deceptive chiaroscuro of
the moonlit night, stood colossal figures, deformed caricatures of
humanity, monsters lying prone with their feet in the air, with arms
spread in despair, stunted growths, distorted faces such as we see in
the whimsical wreathing of floating clouds--but all still, silent, and
turned to stone. In color they were mummy-like, a reddish bistre; their
action suggested the delirium of fever arrested by sudden death. It was
as though giant forms had petrified in the midst of some demoniacal
orgy, and their gestures and the burlesque grimaces of the monstrous
heads had been stricken into fixity, like the motionless attitudes of
sculpture. The silence which prevailed in this volcanic-looking hollow
was itself terrifying. One might fancy that the cries and shrieks of a
thousand voices had been petrified too, and had been held there locked
in stone for ages.
 
"Where are we, my young friend?" asked Golfin. "This place is like a
nightmare."
 
"This part of the mine is called La Terrible," replied the blind boy,
not appreciating his companion's frame of mind. "It was worked till
about two years ago when the ore was exhausted, and now the mining
is carried on in other parts which are more profitable. The strange
objects that surprise you so much are the blocks of stone which we call
_cretácea_, and which consist of hardened ferruginous clay, after the
ore has been extracted. I have been told that the effect is sublime,
particularly in the moonlight; but I do not understand such things."
 
"A wonderful effect,--yes--" said the stranger, who still stood gazing
at the scene, "but which to me is more terrible than pleasing, for it
reminds me of the horrors of neuralgia.--Shall I tell you what it is
like? It is as if I were standing inside a monstrous brain suffering
from a fearful headache. Those figures are like the images which
present themselves to the tortured brain, and become confounded with
the hideous fancies and visions created by a fevered mind."
 
"Choto, Choto, here!" called the blind lad. "Take care now, Señor, how
you walk; we are going into a gallery." And, in fact, Golfin saw that
his guide, feeling with his stick, was making his way towards a narrow
entrance distinguished by three stout posts.
 
The dog went in first, snuffing at the black cavern; the blind boy
followed him with the calm indifference of a man who dwells in
perpetual darkness. Golfin followed, not without some instinctive
trepidation and repugnance at an underground expedition.
 
"It is really wonderful," he said, "that you should go in and out of
such a place without stumbling."
 
"I have lived all my life in these places, and know them as well as my
own home. Here it is very cold; wrap yourself up if have you a cloak
with you. We shall soon be out at the other end." He walked on, feeling
his way with his hand along the wall, which was formed of upright
beams, and saying:
 
"Mind you do not stumble over the ruts in the path; they bring the
mineral along here from the diggings above. Are you cold?"
 
"Tell me," said the doctor, gaily. "Are you quite certain that the
earth has not swallowed us up? This passage is the gullet of some
monstrous insectivorous brute into whose stomach we miserable worms
have inadvertently crept.--Do you often take a walk in this delectable
spot?"
 
"Yes, often, and at all hours, and I think the place delightful. Now we
are in the most arid part--the ground here is pure sand--now we are on
the stones again. Here there is a constant drip of sulphurous water,
and down there we have a block of rock in which there are petrified
shells. There are layers of slate over there. Do you hear that toad croaking? we are near the opening now; the rascal sits there every night; I know him quite well. He has a hoarse, slow voice."

댓글 없음: