2015년 4월 30일 목요일

Marianela 29

Marianela 29


"I do not dislike Aldeacorba."
 
"Ah! little puss. I see which way the wind blows. Do you know that at
this very moment my brother is talking seriously to his son? Family
affairs! Well, and something very good is to come of it all--look, Don
Teodoro, at my daughter's face; it is as red as roses in May. Now, I
am off to hear what my brother has to say--what my brother has to say."
And the worthy man departed.
 
Golfin went back to Nela.
 
"Did she sleep last night?" he asked.
 
"Very little. I heard her sobbing and crying all night. But to-night
she shall have a good bed, for which I have sent to Villamojada, and I
will put her in the little room next to mine."
 
"Poor little Nela!" said the doctor. "You cannot imagine what an
interest I feel in this hapless creature. Some people would laugh at
it, but we, at any rate, are not made of stone. What little we have
done to improve the condition of this poor child, ought to be done
for a large proportion of the human race. There are many thousands of
beings in the world in the same plight as Nela. Who knows them? where
are they? They are lost in the desert of society--for society has its
deserts--in the dark places of life, in the solitudes of field labor,
in mines, in factories. We pass them without even seeing them--we
give them alms, perhaps, but without knowing them.--How are we to be
cognizant of so base a class of humanity! At first Nela attracted
me because I thought that hers was an exceptional nature; but, as
I have thought more, I have felt that hers is after all only one of
the commonest cases. It is an instance of the condition to which a
highly-organized moral nature must be reduced, a nature apt for good,
apt for learning, apt for virtue, but which can never develop its
powers in the neglect and isolation to which it is condemned. They live
blind in spirit, just as Pablo Penáguilas lived blind in body, though
he possessed the latent faculty of sight."
 
Florentina was listening with eager sympathy and intelligence to the
surgeon's speech.
 
"Look at her," he went on: "There she lies; she has a beautiful fancy,
acute feelings, and can love with devotion and tenderness. She is
gifted with a remarkable aptitude for every grace of mind, while, at
the same time, she is full of the grossest superstitions; her religious
ideas are vague, monstrous, and heterodox, and her moral sense needs
guidance as much as her natural intelligence. She has had no education
but what she has been able to give herself; like a tree that gets no
nourishment but that of its own withered and fallen leaves, she owes
absolutely nothing to any one else. In all her life she has never been
taught a single lesson, never heard a word of loving counsel, nor a
precept of pious dogma; she is guided entirely by ill-understood
examples which she adapts to her own instincts and desires. Her
criticisms are all her own, and as she is full of imagination and
feeling, and the strongest native impulse of her soul is to worship
something, she has worshipped Nature, after the fashion of primitive
races. All her ideals are naturalistic--and if you do not quite
understand what I mean, dear Florentina, I must explain myself more
exactly another time.
 
"She has a really artistic passion for form and beauty. Her whole
nature and her affections all centre round this idea. The gifts
and graces of the mind are to her an unknown realm of beauty, a
hardly-discovered land, of which she knows only so much as some
traveller might of a new country on whose shores he had been
shipwrecked. The great news of the gospel--the greatest achievement
of the spirit of humanity--has hardly even sounded in her ears; she
has the same faint suspicion of it that Asiatic nations may have
of European culture--and if you do not quite understand me, dear
Florentina, I must explain myself more exactly another time.
 
"But she is very capable of making rapid progress in a short time, and
of rising to a higher level, nay to our own. Show her a little light
and she will fly across the centuries--she has wandered from the
track, and cannot see far, but give her light and she will find her
way again. No one yet has ever put the torch in her hand, for Pablo
Penáguilas, in his own ignorance of all external truth, contributed
largely but unconsciously to increase her errors. Such a fantastic
and extravagant idealist was not the best master for a nature like
hers. We must set truth before the poor child, who is like a being
raised from the dead of a remote past; we will teach her to know the
graces of the mind; we will bring her down to our own century; we will
give her soul a strength which as yet it has not, and put a noble
Christian conscience in the place of her savage naturalism and wild
superstitions. We have an admirable field to work in, a virgin soil
on which to sow the seed of centuries of growth. We may make time fly
fast over her head, showing her the truth it has revealed, and so
create a new being--for indeed, dear Florentina, it is the same thing
as creating a new being--and if you do not quite understand me, I must
explain myself more exactly another time."
 
Florentina, though she made no pretensions to learning, thought that
she did understand what Golfin had meant by his quaint and original
harangue. She herself was about to add some remarks on the subject; but
at that moment Nela woke. Her eyes timidly wandered round the room, and
then rested alternately on the two faces that looked down at her.
 
"You are not frightened?" said Florentina gently.
 
"Frightened--no Señora; you are very kind--and the Señor too."
 
"Are you not glad to be here? what are you afraid of?"
 
Golfin took her hand. "Speak frankly and truly," he said: "Which of us
do you like best--Florentina or me?"
 
Nela made no reply, and the others smiled; but the child remained
moodily grave.
 
"Now, listen to me, you silly little thing," the surgeon went on: "You
have to make up your mind to live with one of us. Florentina will stay
here; I shall go away. Decide for one or the other--which do you like
best."
 
Marianela looked from one to the other without finding any definite
answer; finally her eyes rested on those of Golfin.
 
"I believe I am the man of her choice.--But that is not fair to
Florentina, Nela; she will be vexed."
 
The poor child smiled and, putting out a feeble hand to Florentina, she
murmured:
 
"I do not want to vex her."
 
But even while she spoke she turned ashy pale; she strained her neck,
her eyes seemed starting out of her head--she was listening to a sound
that was full of terrors to her. She had heard footsteps.
 
"He is coming!" exclaimed Golfin, sympathizing in his patient's alarm.
 
"Yes, here he comes!" cried Florentina, and she flew to the door.
 
It was he. Pablo had opened the door and walked softly into the
room--straight in, from the habit he had acquired during years of
blindness. He came in smiling, and his eyes, freed from the bandage,
which he had himself removed, looked straight before him. They were as
yet unaccustomed to the muscular action which makes them turn, and were
hardly aware of objects lying out of the direct line of vision. It was
literally true of him--as it is of many who never were blind in their
lives--that he only saw what was directly under his eyes.
 
"Cousin!" said he going towards her: "Why have you not been to see me
to-day? I have had to come to look for you. Your father told me you
were doing some work for the poor--so I suppose I must forgive you."
 
Florentina did not know what to say; she was annoyed. Pablo had not
observed either Golfin or Nela, and Florentina, intending to keep him
from approaching the sofa, went towards the window; then, picking up
some pieces of stuff, she sat down as if she were going to sew. The
full light of the sun fell upon her, shedding a vivid glow on all
her left side and giving the most charming relief to her pretty head
with its russet brown hair. Her beauty seemed radiant; like the very
personification and incarnation of light. Her hair was somewhat in
disorder, and her thin morning dress followed the graceful lines of her
slender figure, while her simple and dignified pose was worthy of the
noblest ideals of art.
 
"Cousin," she said with a slight frown on her pretty brow, "Don Teodoro
has not yet given you leave to-day to take your bandage off. That is
not right."
 
"He will give me leave presently," said the young man laughing. "And
it cannot hurt me; I am really quite well. And if it did do me harm, I
should not care.--No, I should not care if I became blind again, after
having seen you."
 
"And what good would that be to you?" said Florentina reprovingly.
 
"I was alone in my room, my father is gone out--after speaking to me
about you. You know what he said."
 
"No, I know nothing about it," said the girl, with her eyes fixed on
her work.
 
"But I know.--My father is very kind and reasonable, and we are very
fond of each other.... Well, when my father had left me, I took off
the bandage and looked out at the fields; I saw the rainbow and I
felt quite overcome with admiration, and with religious feeling too,
Florentina--I do not know why that grand spectacle, which I had never
seen before, should have given me so intense a feeling of the harmony
of creation. I do not know why, looking at the perfect blending of
its colors, I could not help thinking of you. I do not know why, as
I saw the rainbow, I said to myself: 'I have felt this all before.'
I felt again exactly as I felt when I first saw you, Florentina, my
darling. My heart seemed ready to burst my bosom, and I could not help
crying. I cried a great deal and my tears blinded me again for a few
minutes--I called you and you did not answer--when I could see again,
the rainbow had vanished. I went to look for you, I thought you were
in the garden--I went down stairs, up stairs, and here I am. And now,
here, I find you so lovely that I feel as if I had never seen you
rightly till to-day--never till to-day, because now I have had time
to learn to compare you with others. I have seen several women, and
they are all horrible by your side. I find it hard to believe that
you have lived through the years of my blindness.--Nay, nay. What I
believe is that you came into being at the moment when light dawned
upon my comprehension; that my own mind created you at the moment when
I first was lord of the visible world. They had often told me that
there was not a living creature to compare with you, and I would not
believe it--but I believe it now, as surely as I believe in the light
of heaven!"
 
And as he spoke he fell on one knee.
 
Florentina, startled and abashed, looked up from her sewing.
 
"Cousin--for pity's sake!" she murmured.
 
"Cousin for pity's sake!" exclaimed Pablo, with frank enthusiasm.
"Why, why, are you so lovely? My father is most reasonable; I can say
nothing against his arguments or his kindness.--Florentina, do you
know I thought I could never love you; I thought I could love some
one--not you. But what can I do? Thank God my love and my reason are
one! My father, to whom I confessed my mistake; told me that I had
loved a hideous monster. But now I can say that I worship an angel. The
ignorant blind man can see, and at last pay due homage to real beauty.
And yet I cannot help trembling--do you not see me tremble?--Seeing you I have but one desire, and that is, to take you in my arms and clasp you to my heart, enfolding you, holding you tightly--very tightly."

댓글 없음: