2015년 4월 30일 목요일

Marianela 24

Marianela 24


A stone was lost to geology, and the world would be the richer by a
great man!
 
Nela shivered as the dog leaped upon her and caressed her. The
affectionate creature, after jumping round and round her, whining and
barking with so much __EXPRESSION__ that it was almost like speaking,
set off running as fast as he could towards Aldeacorba. You might
have thought he was in chase of some wild game. Choto--unlike some
orators--seemed to speak when he barked.
 
* * * * *
 
Just at this time Teodoro Golfin was coming away from the Penáguilas'.
He was met by Choto, who, with voluble haste, told him--I know not
what. It was a fervent, fitful address, delivered between his gasps
for breath and gushes of eager anxiety. Golfin, though he understood
several languages, was not strong in the canine tongue, and paid no
particular heed. Choto leaped up and round him, jerking out barks
from his moist jaws, some short and sharp as insults, others soft and
coaxing, and then again threats. Teodoro meanwhile stood still, his
attention was struck by the dog's manner; and Choto, seeing that he had
made himself understood to a certain extent, began to run in a contrary
direction to Golfin's homeward road. The doctor followed him. "Very
well," he muttered, "that way then."
 
Choto retraced his steps, as if to make sure that Golfin was following
him, and then he trotted on again. At some little distance from the
house Golfin heard a voice saying:
 
"Well, Choto, what is it you want?"
 
He suspected at once that it was Nela. He paused and listened, hidden
in the shadow of a beech-tree, and soon perceived a little figure
standing out from the stone wall and walking very slowly. The shadows
of the brambles prevented his seeing her very distinctly. He set out
to follow her at some little distance, quitting the path and walking
on the turf, so as to make no noise. Beyond a doubt it was Nela. He
recognized her perfectly when they got upon open ground, where there
were no dark shadows cast by trees or shrubs.
 
The girl now went faster and faster; at last she began to run, and
Golfin ran too. After this unequal race had gone on for some distance,
Nela sat down on a stone. At her feet was the sloping basin of La
Trascava, black and hideous in the gloom. Golfin waited a moment; then
he very softly went nearer to the girl. Choto was seated in front of
her, squatted on his hind quarters, with his fore paw stretched out,
and gazing at her with the gravity of a sphinx. Nela stared into the
depths below, and suddenly starting to her feet she began to go quickly
down the slope--slipping rather than running. With one bound Teodoro
stood by the abyss, roaring in stentorian tones: "Nela! Nela!"
 
He looked down, but could see nothing in the dark chasm; he could hear
Choto whining as he ran round and round the ridge, lower and lower in
spirals, as if he were being sucked in by some eddy in the dreadful
gulf. Teodoro thought of going down himself and cautiously took a step
or two; then he called again, and a voice from below answered: "Señor."
 
"Come up this minute."
 
No answer.
 
"Come up, I say."
 
Presently he could just see the child's face in the lowest visible
depths of the horrible chasm. Choto, after snuffing at the opening,
came up again, round and round the basin as before; Nela too was
climbing up, but very slowly. Indeed, she stopped, and repeated feebly:
"Señor?..."
 
"I tell you come up. What are you doing here?"
 
Nela came a little further.
 
"Come--quickly. I have something to tell you."
 
"To tell me?"
 
"Yes--something I must tell you at once."
 
Nela crawled up; but Teodoro did not feel sure that he had triumphed
till he had seized her hand and held it tightly to lead her away with
him.
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XIX.
 
NELA IS TAMED.
 
 
They walked on a short distance without speaking. Teodoro Golfin,
for all his learning, wisdom, and eloquence, felt as ignorant and
as helpless as Nela, and less disposed for speech than usual. She
followed him unresistingly, and he accommodated his steps to those of
the child-woman, like a man taking a boy to school. At a turn in the
road where three enormous white stones stood up, weather-worn till
they looked like bleached skeletons, the doctor sat down, and placing
Nela in front of him, as if she were on her trial for some grave
delinquency, he held her by both hands and said solemnly:
 
"What were you going to do there?"
 
"I--where?"
 
"Down there. You know very well what I mean. Answer me plainly, as you
would answer your confessor or your father."
 
"I have no father," replied Nela with a faintly mutinous accent.
 
"That is true--but suppose me to be your father, and answer me. What
were you going to do?"
 
"My mother is down there," she answered dully.
 
"Your mother is dead. Do you not know that dead people are gone to
another world, or altogether away?"
 
"She is there," said Nela positively, and looking back towards the spot
she had left.
 
"And you thought you would go to her. Is that it? That is to say, you
meant to kill yourself."
 
"Yes, Señor, that is it."
 
"And do you not know that your mother committed a great sin in killing
herself, and you would do the same if you followed her example? Were
you never taught that?"
 
"I do not think anyone ever told me anything of the kind. And if I want
to kill myself, who is to prevent me?"
 
"But you yourself--without being told--cannot you feel that God cannot
be pleased with us for getting rid of our lives? Poor child--left to
your own instincts without any teaching, or religion, or loving and
disinterested guidance!--What ideas can you have of God, of a future
life, of death? What makes you fancy your mother is there? Do you call
a few lifeless bones your mother! Can you believe that she is still
alive, thinking of you and loving you down in that pit? Did no one
ever tell you that when once our souls have left our bodies they never
return to them again? Do you not know that a tomb, a grave, whatever it
may be, never contains anything but dust and foul corruption? What do
you think God is like? Like some grand and solemn man who sits above
us with his arms folded, and who allows us to play with our lives,
while, in His place, we see some sprite, hobgoblin or fetich of our
fancy?--Your master, Nela, who is so wise and good, did he never talk
to you about such things?"
 
"Oh! yes he did.--But it is of no use to tell me them now...."
 
"Of no use now--when you want to kill yourself? Tell me, silly child,
did you think that by throwing yourself into that hole you would be any
better off?"
 
"Yes, Señor."
 
"In what way?"
 
"I should feel none of the things I feel now, but something else, much
better--and I should be with my mother."
 
"I see you are more silly than wicked," said Golfin laughing. "Now, be
quite honest with me. Do you owe me any grudge?"
 
"No indeed. I owe no one any grudge--least of all you, Señor, who have
been so kind to me, and have made my master see."
 
"Very good--but that is not all; I not only want you to like me, but
you must trust me and tell me all your little secrets. Strange little
secrets are hidden in your mind, little woman, and you must tell them
all to me--every one. You will see, I shall not be hard upon you; I
shall make a very kind father confessor."
 
Nela smiled a forlorn smile; then bending her head, she fell on her
knees.
 
"No, silly child, that is not the way; sit down by me--come here," said
Golfin, gently drawing her to a seat by his side. "I fancy you were
going crazy for want of some one to whom you could tell everything;
is it not so? And you are to conceal nothing. You are indeed alone in
the world, poor child.--Come, Nela, let us see; tell me first of all
why--now be very attentive--why you took it into your head that you wanted to kill yourself?"

댓글 없음: