2015년 4월 1일 수요일

Grettir the Outlaw 1

Grettir the Outlaw 1



Grettir the Outlaw
A Story of Iceland
Author: S. Baring-Gould
*PREFACE.*
 
 
TO MY YOUNG READERS.
 
 
It is now just thirty years since I first began to read the "Saga of
Grettir the Strong" in Icelandic. At that time I had only a Danish
grammar of Icelandic and an Icelandic-Danish dictionary, and I did not
know a word of Danish. So I had to learn Danish in order to learn
Icelandic.
 
It was laborious work making out the Saga, and every line when I began
took me some time to understand. Moreover, I had not much time at my
disposal, for then I was a master in a school.
 
Now, after I had worked a little way into the Saga, I became intensely
interested in it myself, and it struck me that my boys whom I taught
might like to hear about Grettir. So I tried every day to translate,
after school hours, a chapter, hardly ever more at first, and sometimes
not even as much as that. Then, when on half-holidays I proposed a walk
to some of my scholars, they were keen to hear the story of Grettir.
Well, Grettir went on for some months in this way, a fresh instalment of
the tale coming every half-holiday, and it was really wonderful how
interested and delighted the boys were with the story. Nor was I less
so; the labour of translation which was so great at first became rapidly
lighter, and I was as much interested in the adventures of the hero as
were the boys. The other day I met an old pupil of mine, and almost the
first thing he said to me was: "Oh! do you remember Grettir? Thirty
years ago! Fancy! I am a married man and have boys of my own, and I
have often tried to tell them the story which made such an impression on
me, but I cannot remember all the incidents nor their order. I do wish
you would write it as a story for boys. I should like to read it myself
again, and my boys would love it." "Very well," I said, "I will do so."
 
Now my boy readers must understand that I have told them the story in my
own words and in my own way. I went to Iceland in 1861, and went over
nearly every bit of the ground made famous by the adventures of Grettir.
Consequently, I am able to help out and illustrate the tale by what I
actually saw. In the original book there is a great deal more than I
have attempted to retell, but much has to do with the ancestors of
Grettir, and there are other incidents introduced of no great importance
and very confusing to the memory. So I have taken the leading points in
the story, and given them.
 
S. BARING-GOULD.
 
 
 
 
*CONTENTS.*
 
CHAP.
 
I. Winter Tales
II. How Grettir played on the Ice
III. Of the Ride to Thingvalla
IV. The Doom-day
V. The Voyage
VI. The Red Rovers
VII. The Story of the Sword
VIII. Of the Bear
IX. The Slaying of Biorn
X. Of Grettir’s Return
XI. The Horse-fight
XII. Of the Fight at the Neck
XIII. How Grettir and Audun made Friends
XIV. The Vale of Shadows
XV. How Grettir fought with Glam
XVI. How Grettir Sailed to Norway
XVII. The Hostel-burning
XVIII. The Ordeal by Fire
XIX. The Winter in Norway
XX. Of what Befell at Biarg
XXI. The Return of Grettir
XXII. The Slaying of Oxmain
XXIII. At Learwood
XXIV. The Foster-brothers
XXV. How Grettir was well nigh Hung
XXVI. In the Desert
XXVII. On the Great Eagle Lake
XXVIII. On the Fell
XXIX. The Fight on the River
XXX. A Mysterious Vale
XXXI. The Death of Hallmund
XXXII. Of Another Attempt against Grettir
XXXIII. At Sandheaps
XXXIV. How Grettir was Driven About
XXXV. On the Isle
XXXVI. Of Grettir on Heron-ness
XXXVII. Of Hœring’s Leap
XXXVIII. Of the Attempt made by Grettir’s Friends
XXXIX. Of the Old Hag
XL. How the Log came to Drangey
XLI. The End of the Outlaw
XLII. How Asdis received the News
XLIII. How Dromund kept his Word
 
Epilogue
 
 
 
 
*ILLUSTRATIONS.*
 
 
Thorkell and the outlawed Grettir leave the Assize, _Frontis_.
 
Grettir challenges Kormak and his Party
 
Grettir defends Himself from the Mob
 
Grettir attacked in the Rift by Thorir’s Party
 
Fording the quivering flood
 
Illugi defends the dying Grettir
 
 
 
 
[Illustration: PEDIGREE OF THE FAMILY OF ASMUND OF BIARG]
 
 
 
 
*GRETTIR THE OUTLAW.*
 
 
 
*CHAPTER I.*
 
*WINTER TALES.*
 
 
_The Birthplace of GrettirThe Peopling of IcelandA History of
QuarrelsStories Round the HearthBiargThe Great Blue BayThe
Boy GrettirThe Saga of Onund TreefootThe Northern PiratesThe
Fight with King HaraldOnund’s WoundAfter the Battle_
 
 
It was nightdrawing on to midnightin summer, that I who write this
book arrived at the little lonely farm of Biarg, on the Middle River, in
the north of Iceland. It was night, near on midnight, and yet I could
hardly call it night, for the sky overhead was full of light of the
clearest amethyst, and every stock and stone was distinctly visible.
Across the valley rose a rugged moor, and above its shoulder a snow-clad
mountain, turned to rosy gold by the night sun. As I stood there
watching the mist form on the cold river in the vale below, all at once
I heard a strange sound like horns blowing far away in the sky, and
looking up, I saw a train of swans flying from west to east, bathed in
sunlight, their wings of silver, and their feathers as gold.
 
I had come all the way from England to see Biarg, for there was born,
about the year A.D. 997, a man called Grettir, whose history I had read,
and which interested me so much that I was resolved to see his native
home, and the principal scenes where his stormy life was passed.
 
The landscape was the same as that on which Grettir’s childish eyes had
looked more than eight hundred and fifty years ago. The same outline of
dreary moor, the same snowy ridge of mountain standing above it,
catching the midnight summer sun, the same mist forming over the river;
but the house was altogether different. Now there stood only a poor
heap of farm-buildings, erected of turf and wood, where had once been a
noble hall of wood, with carved gable-ends, surrounded by many
out-houses.
 
Before we begin on the story of Grettir, it will be well to say a few words about its claim to be history.

댓글 없음: