2015년 4월 7일 화요일

The Country of the Dwarfs 3

The Country of the Dwarfs 3


I had great trouble in knowing what quantity of ammunition to take,
for lead is heavy; but, then, what would a man do in a savage country
without powder and bullets?
 
The great difficulty with rifle muzzle-loaders is, that when the charge
has been driven home the bullets can not be easily withdrawn. So it is
with the revolvers; and a great deal of ammunition would be lost on
that account.
 
My ammunition consisted of 15,000 cartridges for my revolvers, in
soldered tin boxes of fifties; 15,000 bullets for my guns and rifles,
and lead for 20,000 more, for the practice of my men before starting
into the desert; 1000 pounds of small shot of different sizes, for
birds; 400 pounds of fine powder; 50,000 caps. I also took 200 10-pound
barrels of coarse powder for my body-guard and to give away to my
friends, or as presents.
 
So you see the warlike and hunting apparatus of the expedition was very
heavy, but we were to depend in a great measure on our guns for food.
Elephants, antelopes, hippopotami, gazelles, crocodiles, and monkeys
would be our chief diet. Then came the scientific instruments:
 
4 strong, splendid hunting-case watches, by Brock, London.
1 watch made by Frodsham, London.
48 spare watch-keys and 24 spare glasses.
3 sextants, 8, 6, and 4 inches radius.
1 binocular yachting-glass.
1 telescope.
1 universal sun-dial (a magnificent instrument).
1 aneroid.
2 compasses, prismatic, with stand, shades, and reflector three
inches in diameter, to take the bearings of land, etc., etc.
2 pocket compasses.
1 set drawing instruments (German silver).
2 dozen drawing-pens.
2 artificial horizons, folding roof, improved iron trough,
and bottles containing quicksilver, in sling case.
1 hypsometrical apparatus.
2 bull's-eye lanterns, copper boiler, three reservoirs for
spirits, oil, or candles.
3 thermometers for measuring heights and boiling water.
2 thermometers for the sun (to know its power).
2 thermometers graduated Fahrenheit and Centigrade.
1 thermometer graduated Centigrade and Reaumur.
1 powerful electro-magnetic machine, with 90 feet of
conducting wire or cord.
2 large magnifying-glasses.
7 pounds of mercury, in a bottle, as a reserve supply.
Parallel rule (German silver).
Protractor, circular, with compass rectifier, in a mahogany
box.
3 rain-gauges and spare glasses, to tell the amount of
rain falling at a given time.
Scale, 18 inches, metal, graduated to inches, and
sub-divided to tenths and hundredths, in a box.
Tape, 100 feet, to measure trees.
75 sheets of skeleton maps, ruled in squares, to mark
out in the rough my daily route as determined by
compass.
 
4 Nautical Almanacs, 1863, '4, '5, '6, to be used in my
astronomical observations; and several other scientific
books.
12 blank books for keeping my daily journal.
10 memorandum-books.
10 quires of paper.
Ink, pens, pencils, slates.
 
For illumination I provided 100 pounds of wax candles, 10 gallons of
spirits (alcohol) for lamps, thermometers, etc., etc.; 12 gross of
matches in boxes, each dozen boxes inclosed in a separate soldered tin
box. Though I had fire-steel and flint, the matches could light a fire
much quicker, and they were "big things" with the natives.
 
So you see I had a complete set of instruments, and in sufficient
number, so that in case of accident I could replace the injured one;
and accidents I knew were sure to happen.
 
If I did not explain to you why I took five watches, I am sure you
would say that I was foolish to spend so much money in watches. Then
let me tell you that I bought so many because I was afraid that if I
took only one or two, they might stop running, and in this event it
would have been impossible for me to know my longitude, that is to say,
how far east or west I might be, and to ascertain the day and month,
should illness have caused me to forget the calendar. No watch can be
safely depended upon to run for five years in such a climate without
cleaning. But as four of them had been made specially for the journey,
I felt assured that at least one or two out of the five would run till
my return.
 
But we have not yet done with my equipment. There were 18 boxes
containing photographic apparatus, with tent, and chemicals for 10,000
photographs. The transportation of these alone would require twenty men.
 
All that I have enumerated to you constituted but a small proportion of
the things that came on board, and were for my special use, with the
exception of the 250 common guns and a great part of the ammunition.
 
There are yet to be mentioned the presents for my old friends, who
had been so kind to me in my former journeys, and whom I hoped to see
again. These were the chiefs whose hospitality I had enjoyed, and my
dear hunters Aboko, Fasiko, Niamkala, Malaouen, Querlaouen, Gambo, dear
old Quengueza, Ranpano, Rikimongani, and Obindji, the Bakalai chief.
Presents, too, were indispensable for the people who were to take me
from tribe to tribe, and the right of way I knew would often have to
be bought. So more than two months had been spent by me in the London
clothing, hardware, and dry-goods establishments, finding what I wanted.
 
I bought more than 5000 pounds of beads of different sizes and colors,
several hundred pieces of cotton goods, some pieces of silks, coats,
waistcoats, shirts, 2000 _red caps_, a few umbrellas, files, knives,
bells, fire-steels, flints, looking-glasses, forks, spoons, some
_stove-pipe_ hats for the kings near the sea-shore, straw hats, etc.,
etc.
 
Then, to impress the wild people with what I could do, I bought several
large Geneva musical boxes, one powerful electrical battery, several
magnets, and six ship clocks, etc., etc.
 
The abundant results of the sale of my "Adventures in Equatorial
Africa," and the proceeds arising from the disposal of my gorillas,
and my collection of beasts, birds, insects, and shells, alone enabled
me to undertake this new expedition, for not one dollar has ever been
given by any scientific society to help me in any of my travels or
explorations; but I was very happy in expending a part of my means in
the interest of science and for the enlargement of our knowledge of
unknown countries. I only wish now I could have done more, but really I
think that I did the best I could.
 
Years had passed away since I had gone first to Africa, my parents were
both dead, I was alone in the world and the world was before me, and I
thought I could do nothing better than make another exploration.
 
I had made up my mind, without confiding my purpose to any one, to
cross the continent of Africa near the equator, from the west to the
head waters of the Nile, and to set out from the Commi country. I knew
my old negro friends would help me. That was the reason my outfit was
on so large a scale.
 
The only thing that worried me before my departure was our civil war,
but then I thought it was soon to end.
 
[Illustration]
 
 
 
 
[Illustration]
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER II.
 
ON THE AFRICAN COAST.--MEETING WITH OLD FRIENDS.--CHANGES IN FOUR
YEARS.--THE CAPTAIN'S MISGIVINGS.
 
 
ON the 5th of August we sailed from London. I will not weary you with
a narrative of the voyage. The days passed pleasantly on board the
Mentor. By the end of the month of August we were not far from the
Tropic of Cancer. September glided away calmly, and on the 7th of
October Captain Vardon said that the following day we should come in
sight of land.
 
Accordingly, the next morning I heard from the main-top the cry of
"Land! land!" Two hours afterward from the deck I could discern the low
lands of the Commi country. Nearer and nearer the coast we came, until
we could see the white surf breaking with terrific force on the shore,
and hear the booming sound of the angry waves as they dashed against
the breakers. The country was so monotonous in its outlines that we
could not make out exactly where we were; we only knew that we were
south of Cape Lopez, and not very far from it. I thought it strange
that I could not recognize the mouth of the Fernand Vaz or Commi River.
 
No canoes could ride through the surf, so no natives could come on
board. In the evening we stood off the land and shortened sail, and
afterward we cast anchor.
 
[Illustration: DU CHAILLU MEETS HIS OLD FRIEND ADJOUATONGA.]
 
The next morning we sailed again in a southerly direction, and at
last we saw a canoe pass through the breakers; it came alongside, and
the negroes in it shouted in English, "Put down the anchor! Plenty of
ivory, plenty of every thing; load the ship in a fortnight."
 
We had passed the Fernand Vaz, having sailed too far south. The mouth
of the river itself is very difficult to discover. Perhaps you may
recollect my having formerly described it as discernible only by the
white surf combing over its bar, by large flocks of fish-eating birds
hovering in the air above it, and by a long, white sandy point forming
the extremity of the land on the left bank.[1]
 
[1] Explorations in Equatorial Africa.
 
As we approached the river, two canoes left the shore and made for
the vessel. In the first, as it neared us, I recognized my friend
Adjouatonga, a chief belonging to the clan Adjiéna, whose villages
occupied the mouth of the river. He climbed up the vessel's side, and
went to shake hands with the captain, and then advanced toward me to
do the same. I had not said a word, but upon my raising my hat, which
had been pulled down so as partly to conceal my face, and turning round
upon him, he stepped back in astonishment, and, recognizing me at
once, cried out in his own language, "Are you Chally, or his spirit?
Have you come from the dead? for we have heard you were dead. Tell me
quickly, for I do not know whether I am to believe my own eyes. Perhaps
I am getting a kendé" (an idiot, a fool). And I said, "Adjouatonga, I
am Chally, your friend!" The good fellow embraced me in a transport
of joy, but he hugged me so tight and so long that I wished his
friendship had been less enthusiastic. Four years had nearly gone by
since I had left the Commi country.
 
As the second canoe came nearer, I ordered Adjouatonga not to say a
word. My heart leaped for joy, for in it were my own people from the
dear, good old African Washington of mine. Sholomba, the nephew of
King Ranpano, was there, and my boy Macondai; all my former canoe-men,
Kombé, Ratenou, Oshimbo, were in that canoe. I longed for them to come
on board. I could hardly restrain myself; but I felt that I must appear
like as if I did not know them, and see whether they would recognize me.

댓글 없음: