2015년 4월 7일 화요일

The Country of the Dwarfs 7

The Country of the Dwarfs 7



The chests were his delight, for the wealth of a king here is composed
chiefly of chests, which, of course, are supposed to be filled with
goods.
 
King Quengueza never thought that his friend Chally would have
remembered him so profitably.
 
After showing him all these things, I made him a speech, and said, in
a low tone, "Quengueza, Chally has a heart (ore'ma); he has a heart
that loves you. When he left you the last time he was poor, and had
nothing to give you, but you loved him the same as if he had possessed
a thousand chests filled with goods. Now he is rich, and has just come
back from the white man's country, and he brings you all these fine
presents, for Chally loves you;" and when I said "loves you" I looked
at him steadily in the face. The sight of all this wealth had almost
dumbfounded the old man, and for a while he could not speak. Finally he
said,
 
"Do you love me, Chally? If you do, do not tell the people what you
have given me, or they will bewitch me to have my property."
 
The fear of witchcraft was a great defect in the character of poor
Quengueza. He was always in dread of being bewitched, and consequently
of dying.
 
Then he knelt down and clasped my feet with his hands, and, with his
face distorted by fear, begged me again not to tell any body in the
country what I had given him. This taking hold of a man's feet is the
most imploring way of asking a favor; it was the first time in his life
that Quengueza, the great chief of the Abouya clan, had done such a
thing. I promised him, of course, never to tell any thing to his people.
 
After a while he went away, and his subjects crowded round him,
expecting fully to hear what fine things his friend Chally had brought
him, when I heard him shout, with the loudest voice he could summon,
 
"My friend Chally knows nothing but talk, and has brought me nothing."
Coming toward me, he repeated the statement just as loudly, and looked
at me at the same time with an imploring sort of a look, as if to say,
"Do not say any thing." But Quengueza's people knew me better; they
knew very well that Chally, the great friend of Quengueza, would not
come back from the white man's country without bringing him something,
and they were smiling all the while, for they were well acquainted with
the ways of their beloved old chief, who was a miser, and never wanted
his people to know what he possessed. I kept his presents till his
departure.
 
I gave presents also to good old Ranpano, to the chiefs that had come
to see me, to their wives, and to my old friends, and then the people
returned to their different villages. Quengueza's people were busy
every day collecting the long bamboo-like branches of palm-trees for my
new settlement, which they were to build for me.
 
Before the departure of the chiefs, I assembled them, and we held a
grand palaver, at which they agreed that the Mentor should not leave
their country until they had laden her with their products--woods,
India-rubber, ivory, wax, etc.
 
The night Quengueza took leave his confidential slaves were busy taking
his presents from my hut to the large canoes they had with them,
which having been safely accomplished, they departed before daylight.
Quengueza threatened with death any one of his men who should say a
word of what had passed.
 
Then, for the first time since my arrival, it looked as if I was going
to have a quiet time. I was glad of it, for I had been ill with fever,
and wanted rest and quiet in order to get well. Old Ranpano would stay
for hours by my bedside, hardly ever uttering a word, but I could see
by his face that the old man felt anxiety on my account. He would say
sometimes, "Chally, Chally, you must not be ill; none of my people want
to see you ill. I love you; we all love you;" and when he went away he
muttered words which no doubt were invocations to spirits, for Ranpano,
like the rest of his people, was very superstitious.
 
The superstition of the natives being so great about the site of my
old settlement of Washington, I found it was impossible to build there
again. Not far from it there was a nice spot, just on the bank of the
river, which I liked very much; but at that spot there was a little
Commi village, whose chief was called Rabolo. The only thing to be done
was to buy Rabolo out, and I succeeded in purchasing the whole village
for several guns, some kegs of powder, a brass kettle, a few brass
rings and iron bars, and two or three pieces of cloth. I allowed the
people to take the houses away with them, and I set to work immediately
to build my new settlement.
 
Quengueza's people went at it vigorously, and, with the help of
Ranpano's people, we began building in earnest, Captain Vardon, myself,
and a negro being the carpenters. The doors and windows we made with
the bottoms of large canoes.
 
The smaller buildings were soon finished, and the people were hard at
work on my large dwelling-house; but when we came to the veranda, and
the posts had to be put in the ground, my men were suddenly seized
with fear.
 
There was in the ground a formidable _monda_, or fetich, which my
friend Rabolo had buried in his village before I purchased it, and
which happened to be exactly upon the site of my house, and almost in
front of my door.
 
Poor Rabolo had never dreamed that I would build my house just on that
very spot.
 
Rabolo was not in town, and the builders did not dare to remove the
monda, declaring that there would be a great palaver if they touched
Rabolo's monda; "for," said they, "Rabolo's monda, which he has put
in the ground, is a very good one; for, since his village has been
established, twelve dry and twelve rainy seasons ago, no one has died
there." This was no great monda after all, for Rabolo's village was
only composed of his family, and there were fifteen inhabitants in all,
not including the dogs, goats, fowls, and parrots.
 
Rabolo was sent for. He was loth to agree to have the monda removed;
"for," said he, "not one of us has died since I made it. You can not
take it." "Then," said I, "Rabolo, give me back the goods I have given
you; I must go somewhere else." But poor Rabolo had given away the
goods--had bought two more wives--and could not give me back my money.
I knew it, and was firm. I insisted that the whole place belonged to
me; that I bought it, above the ground and under the ground, to the
very water's edge. So at last Rabolo, with a sad face, consented to
have the monda removed.
 
To enter Rabolo's settlement you had to go under a portal, which was
made of two upright poles and a crossbar. Round the poles grew a
talismanic creeper, which had been planted immediately after the queer
gate had been erected; but at the erection of the gate there were great
ceremonies, for Rabolo's powerful monda was to be buried in the ground,
and that monda was to protect the village, and Rabolo and his family,
from aniemba (witchcraft) and death; so I did not wonder that it was
with a frightened face poor Rabolo allowed me to take away what he
considered the protector of himself and family.
 
Rabolo was a quiet man--a good man; not a bloodthirsty savage. His
little village lived at peace with all the Commi villages around him.
 
Rabolo asked to be allowed to take the monda away himself. This I
granted. Then he began to cut the bushes and the creeper, which was of
the same kind that grew on the gate, that in the course of time had
grown over his talisman, and, digging a hole in the ground, soon came
to the spot where the wonderful monda lay. The first thing he turned up
was the skull of a chimpanzee; then came the skull of a man, probably
of one of the ancestors of Rabolo. The people were looking in silence
at the scene before them; they seemed to think that Rabolo was doing a
wonderful thing, and some thought that he would have to pay with his
life for his daring deed. Poor superstitious fellow! around the skulls
were pieces of pottery and crockery of all sorts, which had been put
there as an offering, or to keep company with the skulls.
 
Then we went to the entrance, and he removed the upright posts of the
gate, and cut away the creeper that twined itself around it. This
creeper was a long-lived species, and the superstition was that as long
as it kept alive the monda would retain its power. Rabolo dug in the
sandy soil of the prairie near where the creeper grew, and turned up
more skulls of chimpanzees and broken pieces of pottery. The two idols
on either side of the gate were removed also.
 
A few days after, I heard the people say that it was Rabolo's monda
that had made me come to that spot; for they believe, in that far-away
country which is the land of the chimpanzee, that the chimpanzee and
the white man have something to do with each other, the pale yellow
face of the chimpanzee seeming somewhat to resemble ours, while the
dark face of the gorilla leads them to believe that the gorilla sprung
from the black man. Skulls of chimpanzees were just now in great
demand, as mondas were to be made with them in many villages, for they
were fully persuaded that if they had them people from the land of the
white man would come and settle among them.
 
Four weeks after my arrival in the Commi country my new settlement was
built, and was exactly like my old settlement of Washington, a picture
of which I gave you in my Apingi Kingdom, and I gave to it the name of
Plateau, on account of the country being flat.
 
After the completion of my house there was great excitement in the
settlement. Ranpano had declared that he could not enter my house; a
doctor had told him that some person who was an aniemba, a wizard, had
made a monda, a charm, and had put it under the threshold of the door
of my house, so that if he entered my hut the witch or aniemba would go
into him, and he would die.
 
I got furious at Ranpano's superstition, and said to him that, while
he pretended to love me, he insulted me by not coming to see me. His
answer was that he loved me. His people felt badly about it. Doctors
were sent for; they drank the mboundou, and declared that it was true
that some one wanted to bewitch him, and had put a monda under my door
to kill him.
 
Immediately ceremonies for driving away the witch were begun. For
three days they danced almost incessantly, making a terrible noise
near my premises, which almost set me crazy; drums were beating day
and night. At the end of the third day I heard suddenly a tremendous
noise made with the drums, and a gun was fired at my door. Ranpano
entered muttering invocations, and wild with excitement, and the people
declared that the aniemba under my door that was to kill the king had been driven away.

댓글 없음: