2015년 8월 27일 목요일

The Czar A tale of the Time of the First Napoleon 22

The Czar A tale of the Time of the First Napoleon 22



“I can show you, even now, a way to render him signal and splendid
service; but it is hazardous, _very_. It is scarce likely we shall live
to go through with it; but, Michael, if we do, I think the Czar will
have cause to thank us.”
 
“And shall we kill plenty of Nyemtzi?” Michael asked eagerly.
 
“We shall deal their Emperor a blow he will never forget.” Ivan sat
down before him, looked at him in silence for some moments, and then,
apparently changing the subject, he asked, “Are you not surprised at
the condition in which you find the city?”
 
“What condition?--Oh yes; I saw crowds of people going away.” Then,
looking up--“But is it true, is it _really_ true, Barrinka, that holy
Moscow is to be given up to the infidel Nyemtzi?”
 
“Too true. A great battle was fought a few days ago at Borodino. The
French say they won, and we say we won; but, however that may be, the
result is for us as bad as a defeat. Marshal Kutusov says it is now
hopeless to think of defending the city. All day our soldiers, with
breaking hearts, have been marching through on their way to Vladimir.”
 
“And without fighting? Ivan Barrinka, it is too bad! So those accursed
Nyemtzi will have it all--the glorious, beautiful city of the Czar; the
tombs, the treasures of his fathers; the forty times forty churches,
the holy pictures of the saints! Woe, woe! Why have we lived to see
such days?”
 
“Listen, Michael,” said Ivan, arresting the hand with which he was
tearing his beard. “Listen to me. The Nyemtzi shall _not_ have it.”
 
“What do you mean, Barrinka?”
 
“This. We will do for holy Moscow--our beautiful, our beloved--what a
father would do for an only daughter, a husband for a wife, a brother
for a sister, if there were no other way to save them from those
accursed Nyemtzi--our own hands will deal the death-blow.”
 
“How?”
 
“What should _you_ have done with Nicolofsky while the French were in
it?”
 
“Holy saints! Then you mean to burn the city?”
 
“These hands of mine will fling the brand into this house, which has
been my home ever since I left your village. Nay, more, I am one of the
directors of the secret band commissioned to spread the conflagration.”
 
Michael stared at him in amazement, but did not speak.
 
Ivan resumed: “Perhaps you will think me dreaming--at least you will
wonder by what authority I tell you these strange and awful things.
I was a boy when last we met, Michael; indeed, until six weeks ago I
was little more. Then the war broke out, and the Czar came here. I saw
him; not for the first time, Michael Ivanovitch, for it was he--he
and no other--whom I saw in my childhood’s days ministering to poor
unconscious Stefen on the bank of the Oka. My heart went forth to him
at once, laid itself at his feet, vowed to serve him until death.”
 
“So? Then _you_ fight for love, Ivan Barrinka. _I_ fight for hate.”
 
“I too, after what you have told me to-night,” said Ivan, with flashing
eyes. He continued more calmly: “Then I went to the governor, Count
Rostopchine, and told him my story. I said that, though my name was of
the noblest, I had not, like other boyars, lands, or serfs, or gold
to give to the Czar; I had only a strong heart, full of devotion.
He answered me, for he saw I was in earnest, ‘Such hearts are what
we want now.’ Then he told me what to do. At first, Michael, I was
horror-stricken. I had rather have been burned at the stake myself. But
he assures me there is no other way of saving holy Russia and the Czar.
Moreover, most of the nobles, and all the merchants except seven, have
resolved upon the sacrifice of their property. Loss of life we will try
to prevent.”
 
“I suppose all good Russians, save those who, like you, have work to
do, are leaving the city?”
 
“Almost all; except the ‘black people,’ who think they have nothing
to lose and perhaps something to gain by the confusion. A few others
are remaining on various pretexts; for instance, Countess Wertsch,
the owner of this house, obstinately insists upon staying, positively
refusing to believe that the French will enter the city--a great
embarrassment to me, since I cannot burn the house over her head. I
must get her away somehow. For this and other matters I need advice
from my good old friend Petrovitch, and I mean to go to him at
daybreak. You shall come with me; I should like to tell him what you
have done, Michael.”
 
“Anywhere with you. There will be plenty of work for us, and plenty of
danger too. All the better for me. But you will be sorry to part with
life, Ivan Barrinka.”
 
For a moment Ivan’s face assumed a grave and thoughtful __EXPRESSION__;
then it gradually lighted up, until it absolutely glowed with
enthusiasm. “If I fall,” he said, “Count Rostopchine has promised to
name me to the Czar.”
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XIV.
 
THE FORLORN HOPE.
 
“Oh, sweet and strange it seems to me, that ere this day is done
The voice that now is speaking may be beyond the sun,
For ever and for ever with those just souls and true;
And what is life that we should moan? why make we such ado?”
 
 
The two young men wore out the short summer night in earnest talk.
Neither thought of sleep; but Ivan was careful to provide a comfortable
repast for Michael, and was by no means reluctant to share it. Very
early in the morning they set out on foot for the merchants’ quarter.
The shades of night had brought no repose to the doomed city; hour
after hour the living tide flowed on without pause or respite, and Ivan
and Michael found it extremely difficult to thread their way through
the dense confused mass of vehicles and foot passengers that crowded
every street.
 
At last they reached the dwelling of Petrovitch. The doors were all
open. Unhindered and unannounced, they walked into the great hall. Here
they found the whole family assembled. In the midst sat the patriarch,
with silver hair and beard, and large, wide-open, sightless eyes. His
face was as calm and almost as colourless as that of the dead; but its
look expressed the steadfast high resolve of a “living soul,” the heir
of a deathless immortality.
 
All around that calm centre there was profound agitation. Women were
weeping and wringing their hands; and those “tears of bearded men”
which are so rare and sad to see were flowing without restraint. One of
the sons of Petrovitch--in the green uniform of a Russian grenadier,
his military hat, with its long black feather tipped with white, laid
beside him--was sobbing bitterly himself, while he tried to comfort a
little girl whom he held in his arms. Another young soldier, almost a
boy, seemed to be imploring the interference of his mother, who was
sitting a little apart, her face covered with a kerchief. At one side
of the old man’s chair stood his eldest son, with a look of indignant
appeal and remonstrance; at the other knelt Feodor--and _his_ face no
one saw.
 
“Welcome, Prince Ivan!” cried Ivan Petrovitch as soon as he perceived
his entrance. “Come hither and speak to our father. It may be he will
listen to you, as the son of his ancient lord.”
 
“Is that Prince Ivan?” asked the old man. “Son of my dear lord, ever
welcome in this house, yet give us leave, I pray you, for a little
space, for this is a bitter hour to me and to all of us. I am bidding
farewell to every one in whose veins my blood is flowing. By-and-by I
will talk once more with thee.”
 
Ivan would have withdrawn, from a feeling that the scene was too sacred
for any not immediately belonging to the family; but the eldest son of
Petrovitch appealed to him once more. “Have you not a word--you whom he
loved so dearly--to persuade him against flinging his life away?”
 
“My son, I am not flinging my life away,” the old man interposed. “That
would be a sin. I am only laying it at the feet of the God who gave
it. He has given me a message for these Nyemtzi, and shall I spare to
deliver it?”
 
“But how is this, dädushka?” asked Ivan gently, as he drew nearer to
the weeping group. “How is this? Do you not go, with these your beloved
ones, to a place of safety?”
 
“I go indeed to a place of safety, but not with these. My resolve has
long been made; nor is it for thee, Prince Ivan, nor for you, sons and
grandsons, true and well-beloved though you are, to change it now. Here
have I lived, and here will I die. The Nyemtzi shall enter holy Moscow
only over my body.”[26]
 
“A vain sacrifice, useless as it is cruel,” said Ivan Petrovitch in a
broken voice.
 
“My son, it is neither. I have no strong arm to fight for the Czar, but
I have yet a voice with which to hurl defiance against his enemies. It
is the mightiest of all voices, though it makes no sound--the voice of
blood. My blood shall cry to the invader from the gate of the city I
have loved: ‘It is but vain the labour that you take to conquer this
land for your Prince. A land where youth and manhood arm to resist
you, while old age dies beneath your feet rather than submit to your
sway--such a land is unconquerable.’ Therefore, my children, no more
words. They are but needless pain, and time presses. I think my soldier
lads should even now be rejoining their regiments. Are you all here, my
brave boys whom I have given to the Czar?”
 
The sergeant of grenadiers answered for the rest, “Yes, my father, all.”
 
“Four sons and nine sons’ sons--thirteen in all--have I given to our
lord. Soldiers of holy Russia, fight bravely; and may God prosper your
arms and give you the victory! I doubt not he will, for your cause is
just.”
 
“My father, ere we go,” said the sergeant, advancing and kneeling
before him, “bless thy sons.”

댓글 없음: