2016년 2월 28일 일요일

the memories of casanova 141

the memories of casanova 141



"And supposing the news vexes her?"
 
"So much the better. Will you do it for me? it's the first favour I have
asked of you."
 
"I promise to do so."
 
After this rapid dialogue we took breakfast, and then, perfectly agreed,
we went to bed, rather as if we were about to sacrifice to Hymen than to
love.
 
The game was new to Barberine, and her transports, her green notions--
which she told me openly--her inexperience, or rather her awkwardness,
enchanted me. I seemed for the first time to pluck the fruit of the tree
of knowledge, and never had I tasted fruit so delicious. My little maid
would have been ashamed to let me see how the first thorn hurt her, and
to convince me that she only smelt the rose, she strove to make me think
she experienced more pleasure than is possible in a first trial, always
more or less painful. She was not yet a big girl, the roses on her
swelling breasts were as yet but buds, and she was a woman only in her
heart.
 
After more than one assault delivered and sustained with spirit, we got
up for dinner, and after we had refreshed ourselves we mounted once more
the altar of love, where we remained till the evening. Laura found us
dressed and well pleased with each other on her return. I made Barberine
another present of twenty sequins, I swore to love her always, and went
on my way. At the time I certainly meant to keep to my oath, but that
which destiny had in store for me could not be reconciled with these
promises which welled forth from my soul in a moment of excitement.
 
The next morning Righelini took me to see the lodging he had spoken to
me about. I liked it and took it on the spot, paying the first quarter
in advance. The house belonged to a widow with two daughters, the elder
of whom had just been blooded. Righelini was her doctor, and had treated
her for nine months without success. As he was going to pay her a visit
I went in with him, and found myself in the presence of a fine waxen
statue. Surprise drew from me these words:
 
"She is pretty, but the sculptor should give her some colour."
 
On which the statue smiled in a manner which would have been charming if
her lips had but been red.
 
"Her pallor," said Righelini, "will not astonish you when I tell you she
has just been blooded for the hundred and fourth time."
 
I gave a very natural gesture of surprise.
 
This fine girl had attained the age of eighteen years without
experiencing the monthly relief afforded by nature, the result being
that she felt a deathly faintness three or four times a week, and the
only relief was to open the vein.
 
"I want to send her to the country," said the doctor, "where pure and
wholesome air, and, above all, more exercise, will do her more good than
all the drugs in the world."
 
After I had been told that my bed should be made ready by the evening, I
went away with Righelini, who told me that the only cure for the girl
would be a good strong lover.
 
"But my dear doctor," said I, "can't you make your own prescription?"
 
"That would be too risky a game, for I might find myself compelled to
marry her, and I hate marriage like the devil."
 
Though I was no better inclined towards marriage than the doctor, I was
too near the fire not to get burnt, and the reader will see in the next
chapter how I performed the miraculous cure of bringing the colours of
health into the cheeks of this pallid beauty.
 
 
 
 
 
CHAPTER XXV
 
 
The Fair Invalid I Cure Her--A Plot Formed to Ruin Me--What Happened at
the House of the Young Countess Bonafede--The Erberia--Domiciliary
Visit--My Conversation with M. de Bragadin--I Am Arrested by Order of
the State Inquisitors.
 
After leaving Dr. Righelini I went to sup with M. de Bragadin, and gave
the generous and worthy old man a happy evening. This was always the
case; I made him and his two good friends happy whenever I took meals
with them.
 
Leaving them at an early hour, I went to my lodging and was greatly
surprised to find my bedroom balcony occupied. A young lady of an
exquisite figure rose as soon as she saw me, and gracefully asked me
pardon for the liberty she had taken.
 
"I am," she said, "the statue you saw this morning. We do not light the
candles in the evening for fear of attracting the gnats, but when you
want to go to bed we will shut the door and go away. I beg to introduce
you to my younger sister, my mother has gone to bed."
 
I answered her to the effect that the balcony was always at her service,
and that since it was still early I begged their permission to put on my
dressing-gown and to keep them company. Her conversation was charming;
she made me spend two most delightful hours, and did not leave me till
twelve o'clock. Her younger sister lighted me a candle, and as they went
they wished me a good night.
 
I lay down full of this pretty girl, and I could not believe that she
was really ill. She spoke to the point, she was cheerful, clever, and
full of spirits. I could not understand how it came to pass that she had
not been already cured in a town like Venice, if her cure was really
only to be effected in the manner described by Dr. Righelini; for in
spite of her pallor she seemed to me quite fair enough to charm a lover,
and I believed her to be spirited enough to determine to take the most
agreeable medicine a doctor can prescribe.
 
In the morning I rang the bell as I was getting up, and the younger
sister came into my room, and said that as they kept no servant she had
come to do what I wanted. I did not care to have a servant when I was
not at M. de Bragadin's, as I found myself more at liberty to do what I
liked. After she had done me some small services, I asked her how her
sister was.
 
"Very well," said she, "for her pale complexion is not an illness, and
she only suffers when her breath fails her. She has a very good
appetite, and sleeps as well as I do."
 
"Whom do I hear playing the violin?"
 
"It's the dancing master giving my sister a lesson."
 
I hurried over my dressing that I might see her; and I found her
charming, though her old dancing master allowed her to turn in her toes.
All that this young and beautiful girl wanted was the Promethean spark,
the colour of life; her whiteness was too like snow, and was distressing
to look at.
 
The dancing master begged me to dance a minuet with his pupil, and I
assented, asking him to play larghissimo. "The signorina would find it
too tiring," said he; but she hastened to answer that she did not feel
weak, and would like to dance thus. She danced very well, but when we
had done she was obliged to throw herself in a chair. "In future, my
dear master," said she, "I will only dance like that, for I think the
rapid motion will do me good."
 
When the master was gone, I told her that her lessons were too short,
and that her master was letting her get into bad habits. I then set her
feet, her shoulders, and her arms in the proper manner. I taught her how
to give her hand gracefully, to bend her knees in time; in fine, I gave
her a regular lesson for an hour, and seeing that she was getting rather
tired I begged her to sit down, and I went out to pay a visit to M. M.
 
I found her very sad, for C---- C----'s father was dead, and they had
taken her out of the convent to marry her to a lawyer. Before leaving C-
--- C---- had left a letter for me, in which she said that if I would
promise to marry her at some time suitable to myself, she would wait for
me, and refuse all other offers. I answered her straightforwardly that I
had no property and no prospects, that I left her free, advising her not
to refuse any offer which might be to her advantage.
 
In spite of this dismissal C---- C---- did not marry N---- till after my
flight from The Leads, when nobody expected to see me again in Venice. I
did not see her for nineteen years, and then I was grieved to find her a
widow, and poorly off. If I went to Venice now I should not marry her,
for at my age marriage is an absurdity, but I would share with her my
little all, and live with her as with a dear sister.
 
When I hear women talking about the bad faith and inconstancy of men,
and maintaining that when men make promises of eternal constancy they
are always deceivers, I confess that they are right, and join in their
complaints. Still it cannot be helped, for the promises of lovers are
dictated by the heart, and consequently the lamentations of women only
make me want to laugh. Alas! we love without heeding reason, and cease
to love in the same manner.
 
About this time I received a letter from the Abbe de Bernis, who wrote
also to M---- M----. He told me that I ought to do my utmost to make our
nun take a reasonable view of things, dwelling on the risks I should run
in carrying her off and bringing her to Paris, where all his influence
would be of no avail to obtain for us that safety so indispensable to
happiness. I saw M---- M----; we shewed each other our letters, she had
some bitter tears, and her grief pierced me to the heart. I still had a
great love for her in spite of my daily infidelities, and when I thought
of those moments in which I had seen her given over to voluptuousness I
could not help pitying her fate as I thought of the days of despair in
store for her. But soon after this an event happened which gave rise to
some wholesome reflections. One day, when I had come to see her, she
said,
 
"They have just been burying a nun who died of consumption the day
before yesterday in the odour of sanctity. She was called 'Maria
Concetta.' She knew you, and told C---- C---- your name when you used to
come to mass on feast days. C---- C---- begged her to be discreet, but
the nun told her that you were a dangerous man, whose presence should be
shunned by a young girl. C---- C---- told me all this after the mask of Pierrot."

댓글 없음: