2015년 4월 1일 수요일

The Russian Story Book 22

The Russian Story Book 22



Then two leaders came forth shoulder to shoulder and hand to hand from
that fair pavilion, and Ivan saw that they were his two elder brothers.
 
"Where are you going, Ivan, son of the Great White Tsar?" they asked,
and the young man answered, "I grew weary at home and thought of
going to seek my mother, Golden Tress. Send these men of yours to
their homes and let us go together."
 
The two brothers assented, and in a short space of time the great army
was disbanded, and the two brothers sat across their chargers ready to
go forward after the ball which was bouncing in great impatience. As
soon as the three put spurs to their horses it rolled on again and went
onward and ever onward until it came to a cave in a steep mountain. At
the opening of this cave Ivan slipped down from his horse and said
to his brothers, "Take care of my horse while I go on up the face of
this mountain, where perhaps I shall find my mother. Remain here and
wait for me for the space of just three months. If I do not come back
within that time then you may conclude that it is of no use waiting
for me any longer."
 
The brothers looked up the face of the steep mountain and thought
in their hearts, "How can a man climb that mountain-side? He will
merely fall and crack his skull." But they did not give utterance to
their thoughts. They merely said, "Well, brother, go, and God be with
you. We will wait for you here."
 
Ivan now stepped forward to the cave, after giving his charger an
affectionate pat upon its glossy neck, and saw that it was closed
with a door of iron. He raised his hand and struck a hearty blow upon
the door, which opened, and he went in. As he stood in the middle of
the dark earthen floor, iron claws came upon his hands and feet of
themselves, and, coming forth from the place into the light of day, he
began to climb up the steep face of the mountain--climb, climb, climb.
 
For a whole month he toiled upward, resting at night beneath some
friendly bush, and at the end of the month reached the summit with
a sigh of relief. "Well," he said, "well, well, glory be to God!"
 
For a little while he rested, and then walked onward on the summit of
the mountain--walked and walked, walked and walked, until he came to
a castle of copper. At the gateway sat terrible wriggling serpents
fastened with copper chains, crowds of them writhing in a mass upon
the earth; and not far away was a well, at the mouth of which was
a copper bucket fastened with a copper chain. Now Ivan watched the
writhing serpents for a moment, and then, obeying an impulse of
kindliness, he drew water in the copper bucket and gave to them to
drink. When they had quenched their thirst they lay down in quiet,
and Ivan was able to enter the castle unmolested.
 
At the doorway and just over the threshold the young man was met
by a Tsaritza who was clothed in a cloth of a coppery red, warm and
brilliant, and whose hair was of a deep auburn tinged with light and
shining with the early gloss of youthfulness. She looked coolly at
Ivan as if she thought little of him, but her greeting was courteous
enough. "Who are you, gallant youth?" she asked, and the young man
replied simply:
 
"I am Ivan, youngest son of the Great White Tsar."
 
"How did you come here?" asked the Copper Tsaritza, "with your own
will or against your will?"
 
"With my own will," said Ivan. "I am in search of my mother. For,
while she walked in the green palace garden, Whirlwind the Whistler
came with a shriek and bore her away to an unknown land. Can you tell
me where I may find her?"
 
"No, I cannot," was the reply, "but far away from here lives my
second sister the Silver Tsaritza--perhaps she will be able to tell
you where you may find Golden Tress. But I pray you, good youth,
when you have killed Whirlwind the Whistler, do not forget me, poor
unfortunate, but rescue me from this place and take me out into the
free white world. Whirlwind the Whistler holds me here as a captive and
comes to visit me once in three months to torment me with his doleful
whining." Then she gave the good youth a copper ball and a copper ring
as a token. "This ball," she said, "will lead you to my second sister,
and within this ring lies the whole of the Kingdom of Copper."
 
Then Ivan set the copper ball rolling and followed it until he came to
a castle all of silver and finer than the first. At the gateway were
terrible writhing serpents fastened with silver chains, and near them
was a well with a silver bucket. Remembering the previous reward for
his impulse of kindliness, Ivan drew water and gave it to the serpents
to drink. When they had quenched their thirst they lay down in quiet,
and Ivan was able to enter the castle unmolested.
 
At the doorway, and just over the threshold, he was met by a
Tsaritza, who was clothed in cloth of silver and whose hair was of
fine white silver, which yet did not take away from the beauty of
her youthfulness. At first she did not see Ivan, and she spoke to
herself. "It will soon be three years," she said, "since Whirlwind the
Whistler first imprisoned me in this silver castle, and during that
time I have not seen or spoken with a dweller in Holy Russia. But by
my lost Kingdom I see a Russian now and a goodly one." Then she bent
her beautiful eyes upon Ivan and said in a voice like a silver bell,
"Who are you, good youth?"
 
"I am Ivan, youngest son of the Great White Tsar," was the simple
answer.
 
"How did you come here?" asked the Silver Tsaritza, "with your own
will or against your will?"
 
"With my own will," said Ivan. "I am in search of my mother. For,
while she walked in the green palace garden, Whirlwind the Whistler
came with a shriek and bore her away to an unknown land. Can you tell
me where I may find her?"
 
"No, I cannot," was the reply, "but not far away from here lives my
eldest sister the Golden Tsaritza, Elena the Lovely--perhaps she will
be able to tell you where you may find Golden Tress. But I pray you,
good youth, when you have killed Whirlwind the Whistler, do not forget
me, poor unfortunate, but rescue me from this place and take me out
into the free white world. Whirlwind the Whistler holds me here as a
captive, and comes once in two months to torment me with his hideous
voice." Then she gave the good youth a silver ball and a silver ring
as a token and said to him, "Within this little circle lies the whole
of the Kingdom of Silver."
 
Once more Ivan set the ball rolling, and wherever it went, there he
followed it, and he came at last across many leagues of open country
to a castle of gold. At the gateway sat terrible wriggling serpents
fastened with golden chains, crowds of them writhing in a mass upon the
earth; and not far away was a well at the mouth of which was a golden
bucket fastened with a golden chain. Again Ivan watched the writhing
serpents for a moment and then drew water in the golden bucket and
gave to them to drink. When they had quenched their thirst they lay
down in quiet, and Ivan was able to enter the castle unmolested.
 
At the doorway, and just over the threshold, he was met by a Tsaritza,
who was clothed in cloth of gold and whose hair was of fine red gold
glowing with the fire of youthfulness. At once she saw Ivan and said
to him:
 
"Who are you, good youth?"
 
"I am Ivan, youngest son of the Great White Tsar," was the simple
answer.
 
"How did you come here?" asked the Golden Tsaritza, "with your own
will, or against your will?"
 
"With my own will," said Ivan. "I am in search of my mother. For,
while she walked in the green palace garden, Whirlwind the Whistler
came with a shriek and bore her away to an unknown land. Can you tell
me where I may find her?"
 
"I can indeed tell you," said the Golden Tsaritza. "She lives not
far from here. Whirlwind the Whistler flies to her once a week and
to me once a month, and he wearies both of us with his shrieks and
his moans. Here is a golden ball for you. Throw it before you and
follow it. It will lead you to your mother." Then she gave the good
youth a golden ring as a token and said to him: "Within this little
circle lies the whole of the Kingdom of Gold. I pray you, good youth,
when you have conquered Whirlwind the Whistler, do not forget me,
poor unfortunate, but rescue me from this place and take me out into
the free white world."
 
"I will take you," promised Ivan. Then he rolled the golden ball before
him and wherever it went, there he followed it, until he came at last
to such a palace as he could scarcely bear to look upon, it blazed so
brightly with diamonds and precious stones. At the gateway six-headed
serpents were hissing, but when Ivan had given them water from a well
with a diamond bucket, fastened with a chain of fine seed pearls,
they sank down in quiet and allowed him to pass into the castle. He
walked quickly through one lofty chamber after another and in the
last chamber he found his mother.
 
She was sitting on a great throne of a single emerald clad in the
festal robes of a Tsaritza, and crowned with a dazzling crown,
beneath which her golden tresses flowed downward over the emerald
steps. Raising her sad clear eyes, she looked at the stranger, and
as she looked the mist of memory cleared, a smile played about her
beautiful ruddy lips, and she said eagerly, holding her hands forward,
"Ah, is it you, my dear, dear son? How have you found out the place
of my concealment?"
 
"That is so and so and by the way and matterless," said Ivan. "Suffice
it to say that I have come to fetch you home."
 
"But, my dear, dear son," said Golden Tress, "that will be indeed
a hard matter for you. In these mountains the king of all is mighty
Whirlwind, whom all the spirits of the air obey. It was he who bore
me away, and it is against him that you must fight. Come quickly to
the cellar."
 
Golden Tress stepped with the step of youthfulness down from the
emerald throne, and taking her son by the hand led him down a dark
stairway into the cellar beneath the palace.
 
Now in the cellar there were two tubs of water, one on the right hand
and the other on the left. Golden Tress led Ivan forward and said to
him, "Drink from the tub on your right hand." Ivan drank and drank
deeply while his beautiful mother watched him closely, and when he
was finished she asked, "Well, what strength is in thee?" "I am so
strong," said the youth, "that I could turn over the whole castle
with one hand."
 
"Drink again," said Golden Tress, very quietly. Ivan drank again and
drank deeply.
 
"What strength is in thee now?" asked his mother.
 
"I am so strong," said he, "that, if I wished, I could turn the whole
world over."
 
"That is very great strength," said Golden Tress. "Now move these tubs
of water so as to make them change positions. Place the right-hand
tub on the left and the left-hand tub on the right." Ivan did so with
perfect ease.
 
"Now," said Golden Tress, "let me tell you why I asked you to do
this. In one of these tubs is water of strength, but in the other,
water of weakness. Whirlwind always drinks the water of strength,
and puts it on the right side, so we must mislead him or you will
never be able to overcome him." Thereupon they made their way up the
winding stairway to the apartment of Golden Tress, in which stood the shining throne made from a single emerald.

댓글 없음: