2015년 8월 6일 목요일

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 5

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 5


SARAH.
 
Here, here is Rosa; look, sir! My God, how ugly she is. David cries
every time he sees her.
 
ROSA.
 
_Offended, straightens herself._
 
There are uglier women than I am.
 
SARAH.
 
_Persuasively._
 
What are you saying, Rosa? There is no uglier girl than you in the
whole world. (_Whispers entreatingly._) Hide your beauty, Rosa. A
robber has come, Rosa,--hide your beauty! At night I will wash your
face myself, I will comb your braids myself, and you will be as
beautiful as a heavenly angel, and we will all pray to you. A robber
has come, Rosa. (_Aloud._) Did they throw stones at you again?
 
ROSA.
 
_Hoarsely._
 
Yes, they did.
 
SARAH.
 
And the dogs attacked you, too?
 
ROSA.
 
Yes, they did.--
 
SARAH.
 
So you see, sir? Even the dogs!
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_In a friendly tone._
 
Yes, it seems that I have made a mistake. To my regret, your daughter
is really not pretty and it is painful to look at her.
 
SARAH.
 
Of course, there are uglier girls than she is, but--Go, Rosochka, go
over there, take your work--What is there for a poor and ugly girl to
do but work? Go, my poor Rosochka, go.
 
_Rosa takes some rags to mend and disappears behind
the counter. Silence._
 
ANATHEMA.
 
Is it long since you have this store, madam Leizer?
 
SARAH.
 
_Calmed down._
 
Thirty years already, ever since David became sick. A misfortune
happened to him when he served in the army,--he was trampled by horses
and they crushed his chest.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
Was David a soldier?
 
BEZKRAINY.
 
_Interposing._
 
David had an older brother, and he was a scoundrel, and his name was
Moses.
 
SARAH.
 
_With a sigh._
 
And his name was Moses.
 
BEZKRAINY.
 
And when the time came for Moses to serve in the army, he ran off on an
Italian steamer. And David was taken in his place.
 
SARAH.
 
_With a sigh._
 
David was taken.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
What injustice!
 
BEZKRAINY.
 
Have you ever met justice in the world?
 
ANATHEMA.
 
Of course I have. You are no doubt an unfortunate man, and everything
appears to you in dark colors. But you will see, you will soon see,
that justice does exist. (_Freely._) The devil take it, I have nothing
to do, so I always roam about the world, and I have not seen anything
so plentiful as justice. How shall I say it, madam Leizer? There is
more justice on earth than fleas on a good dog.
 
SARAH.
 
_Smiling._
 
But what if it is just as hard to catch justice as
to catch fleas....
 
BEZKRAINY.
 
And what if it bites just as the fleas do?
 
_All laugh. From the side of the city appears an
organ-grinder, exhausted, half-blinded from dust
and perspiration. He wants to pass by, but suddenly
he pauses in despair, and begins to play a terrible
tune._
 
SARAH.
 
Pass on, please, pass on. We need no music.
 
ORGAN-GRINDER.
 
_Playing._
 
Neither do I need it.
 
SARAH.
 
We have nothing to give you. Pass on.
 
ORGAN-GRINDER.
 
_Playing._
 
Then I will die to the strains of music.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Generously._
 
Please, madam Leizer, give him something to eat and water--I will pay
for everything.
 
SARAH.
 
What a kind-hearted man you are. Go, musician, eat and drink. But for
the water I will not take anything from you--let the water be mine.
 
_The organ-grinder sits down and eats ravenously._
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Friendly._
 
Is it long you have been roaming over the world, musician?
 
ORGAN-GRINDER.
 
_Morosely,_
 
I used to have a monkey before--music and a monkey. The monkey was
eaten up by the fleas, and my music box started to screech, and I am
looking for a tree on which to hang myself. That is all.
 
_A little girl runs in. She looks curiously at the
organ-grinder, then turns to Sonka._
 
LITTLE GIRL.
 
Sonka, Ruzya died.
 
SONKA.
 
Already?
 
LITTLE GIRL.
 
Yes, he died. May I take some seeds?
 
SONKA.
 
_Closing her store._
 
You may. Sarah, if a customer comes, tell him that I will attend to
business to-morrow again, otherwise he may think that my store is
closed for good. Have you heard it? Ruzya died.
 
SARAH.
 
Already?
 
LITTLE GIRL.
 
Yes, he died. Is the musician going to play?
 
_Anathema whispers to Sarah and puts something into
her hand._
 
SARAH.
 
Sonka, here is a rouble for you; you see, a rouble?
 
BEZKRAINY.
 
There is luck! Yesterday a chicken, to-day a rouble. Take it, Sonka.
 
_All look greedily upon the rouble. Sonka and the
little girl go out._
 
SARAH.
 
You are very rich, sir.

댓글 없음: