2015년 8월 6일 목요일

The Father and Daughter 7

The Father and Daughter 7


Agnes sighed deeply.
 
"I lost my own father," continued she, "last winter, and a hard trial it
was, to be sure; but then it consoled me to think I made his end
comfortable. Besides, my conscience told me that, except here and there,
I had always done my duty by him, to the best of my knowledge."
 
Agnes started from her seat, and walked rapidly round the room.
 
"He smiled on me," resumed her kind hostess, wiping her eyes, "to the
last moment; and just before the breath left him, he said, 'Good child!
good child!' O! it must be a terrible thing to lose one's parents when
one has not done one's duty to them!"
 
At these words Agnes, contrasting her conduct and feelings with those of
this artless and innocent woman, was overcome with despair, and seizing
a knife that lay by her endeavoured to put an end to her existence; but
the cottager caught her hand in time to prevent the blow, and his wife
easily disarmed her, as her violence instantly changed into a sort of
stupor: then throwing herself back on the bed on which she was sitting,
she lay with her eyes fixt, and incapable of moving.
 
The cottager and his wife now broke forth into __EXPRESSION__s of wonder and
horror at the crime which she was going to commit, and the latter taking
little Edward from the lap of her daughter, held it towards
Agnes:--"See," cried she, as the child stretched forth its little arms
to embrace her,--"unnatural mother! would you forsake your child?"
 
These words, assisted by the caresses of the child himself, roused Agnes
from her stupor.--"Forsake him! Never, never!" she faltered out: then,
snatching him to her bosom, she threw herself back on a pillow which the
good woman had placed under her head; and soon, to the great joy of the
compassionate family, both mother and child fell into a sound sleep. The
cottager then repaired to his daily labour, and his wife and children
began their household tasks; but ever and anon they cast a watchful
glance on their unhappy guest, dreading lest she should make a second
attempt on her life.
 
The sleep of both Agnes and her child was so long and heavy, that night
was closing in when the little boy awoke, and by his cries for food
broke the rest of his unhappy mother.
 
But consciousness returned not with returning sense;--Agnes looked
around her, astonished at her situation. At length, by slow degrees, the
dreadful scenes of the preceding night and her own rash attempt burst on
her recollection; she shuddered at the retrospect, and, clasping her
hands, together, remained for some moments in speechless prayer:--then
she arose; and, smiling mournfully at sight of her little Edward eating
voraciously the milk and bread that was set before him, she seated
herself at the table, and tried to partake of the coarse but wholesome
food provided for her. As she approached, she saw the cottager's wife
remove the knives. This circumstance forcibly recalled her rash action,
and drove away her returning appetite.--"You may trust me now," she
said; "I shrink with horror from my wicked attempt on my life, and
swear, in the face of Heaven, never to repeat it: no,--my only wish now
is, to live and to suffer."
 
Soon after, the cottager's wife made an excuse for bringing back a knife
to the table, to prove to Agnes her confidence in her word; but this
well-meant attention was lost on her,--she sat leaning on her elbow, and
wholly absorbed in her own meditations.
 
When it was completely night, Agnes arose to depart.--"My kind friends,"
said she, "who have so hospitably received and entertained a wretched
wanderer, believe me I shall never forget the obligations which I owe
you, though I can never hope to repay them; but accept this (taking her
last half-guinea from her pocket) as a pledge of my inclination to
reward your kindness. If I am ever rich you shall--" Here her voice
failed her, and she burst into tears.
 
This hesitation gave the virtuous people whom she addressed an
opportunity of rejecting her offers.--"What we did, we did because we
could not help it," said the cottager.--"You would not have had me see a
fellow-creature going to kill soul and body too, and not prevent it,
would you?"--"And as to saving the child," cried the wife, "am I not a
mother myself, and can I help feeling for a mother? Poor little thing!
it looked so piteous too, and felt so cold!"
 
Agnes could not speak; but still, by signs she tendered the money to
their acceptance.--"No, no," resumed the cottager, "keep it for those
who may not be willing to do you a service for nothing:"--and Agnes
reluctantly replaced the half-guinea. But then a fresh source of
altercation began; the cottager insisted on seeing Agnes to the town,
and she insisted on going by herself: at last she agreed that he should
go with her as far as the street where her friends lived, wait for her
at the end of it, and if they were not living, or were removed, she was
to return, and sleep at the cottage.
 
Then, with a beating heart and dejected countenance, Agnes took her
child in her arms, and, leaning on her companion, with slow and unsteady
steps she began to walk to her native place, once the scene of her
happiness and her glory, but now about to be the witness of her misery
and her shame.
 
As they drew near the town, Agnes saw on one side of the road a new
building, and instantly hurried from it as fast as her trembling limbs
could carry her.--"Did you hear them?" asked the cottager.--"Hear whom?"
said Agnes.--"The poor creatures," returned her companion, "who are
confined there. That is the new bedlam, and--Hark! what a loud scream
that was!"
 
Agnes, unable to support herself, staggered to a bench that projected
from the court surrounding the building, while the cottager, unconscious
why she stopped, observed it was strange that she should like to stay
and hear the poor creatures--For his part, he thought it shocking to
hear them shriek, and still more so to hear them laugh--"for it is so
piteous," said he, "to hear those laugh who have so much reason to cry."
 
Agnes had not power to interrupt him, and he went on:--"This house was
built by subscription; and it was begun by a kind gentleman of the name
of Fitzhenry, who afterwards, poor soul, being made low in the world by
losses in trade, and by having his brain turned by a good-for-nothing
daughter, was one of the first patients in it himself."--Here Agnes, to
whom this recollection had but too forcibly occurred already, groaned
aloud. "What, tired so soon?" said her companion: "I doubt you have not
been used to stir about--you have been too tenderly brought up. Ah!
tender parents often spoil children, and they never thank them for it
when they grow up neither, and often come to no good besides."
 
Agnes was going to make some observations wrung from her by the
poignancy of self-upbraiding, when she heard a loud cry as of one in
agony: fancying it her father's voice, she started up, and stopping her
ears, ran towards the town so fast that it was with difficulty that the
cottager could overtake her. When he did so, he was surprised at the
agitation of her manner.--"What, I suppose you thought they were coming
after you?" said he. "But there was no danger--I dare say it was only
an unruly one whom they were beating."--Agnes, on hearing this,
absolutely screamed with agony: and seizing the cottager's arm, "Let us
hasten to the town," said she in a hollow and broken voice, "while I
have strength enough left to carry me thither." At length they entered
its walls, and the cottager said, "Here we are at last.--A welcome home
to you, young woman."--"Welcome! and home to me!" cried Agnes wildly--"I
have no home now--I can expect no welcome! Once indeed----" Here,
overcome with recollections almost too painful to be endured, she turned
from him and sobbed aloud, while the kind-hearted man could scarcely
forbear shedding tears at sight of such mysterious, yet evidently real,
distress.
 
In happier days, when Agnes used to leave home on visits to her distant
friends, anticipation of the welcome she should receive on her return
was, perhaps, the greatest pleasure that she enjoyed during her absence.
As the adventurer to India, while toiling for wealth, never loses sight
of the hope that he shall spend his fortune in his native land,--so
Agnes, whatever company she saw, whatever amusements she partook of,
looked eagerly forward to the hour when she should give her expecting
father and her affectionate companions a recital of all that she had
heard and seen. For, though she had been absent a few weeks only, "her
presence made a little holiday," and she was received by Fitzhenry with
delight too deep to be expressed; while, even earlier than decorum
warranted, her friends were thronging to her door to welcome home the
heightener of their pleasures, and the gentle soother of their sorrows;
(for Agnes "loved and felt for all:" she had a smile ready to greet the
child of prosperity, and a tear for the child of adversity)--As she was
thus honoured, thus beloved, no wonder the thoughts of home, and of
returning home, were wont to suffuse the eyes of Agnes with tears of
exquisite pleasure; and that, when her native town appeared in view, a
group of expecting and joyful faces used to swim before her sight,
while, hastening forward to have the first glance of her, fancy used to
picture her father!----Now, dread reverse! after a _long_ absence, an
absence of years, she was returning to the same place, inhabited by the
same friends: but the voices that used to be loud in pronouncing her
welcome, would now be loud in proclaiming indignation at her sight; the
eyes that used to beam with gladness at her presence, would now be
turned from her with disgust; and the fond father, who used to be
counting the moments till she arrived, was now----I shall not go
on----suffice, that Agnes felt, to "her heart's core," all the
bitterness of the contrast.
 
When they arrived near the place of her destination, Agnes stopped, and
told the cottager that they must part.--"So much the worse," said the
good man: "I do now know how it is, but you are so sorrowful, yet so
kind and gentle, somehow, that both my wife and I have taken a liking to
you:--you must not be angry, but we cannot help thinking you are not one
of us, but a lady, though you are so disguised and so humble;--but
misfortune spares no one, you know."
 
Agnes, affected and gratified by these artless __EXPRESSION__s of good will,
replied, "I have, indeed, known better days...."--"And will again, I
hope with all my heart and soul," interrupted the cottager with great
warmth.--"I fear, not," replied Agnes, "my dear worthy friend."--"Nay,
young lady," rejoined he, "my wife and I are proper to be your servants,
not friends."--"You are my friends, perhaps my only friends," returned
Agnes mournfully: "perhaps there is not, at this moment, another hand in
the universe that would not reject mine, or another tongue that would
not upbraid me."--"They must be hard-hearted wretches, indeed, who could
upbraid a poor woman for her misfortunes," cried the cottager: "however,
you shall never want a friend while I live. You know I saved your life;
and somehow, I feel therefore as if you belonged to me. I once saved one
of my pigeons from a hawk, and I believe, were I starving, I could not
now bear to kill the little creature; it would seem like eating my own
flesh and blood--so I am sure I could never desert you."--"You have not
yet heard my story," replied Agnes: "but you shall know who I am soon;
and then, if you still feel disposed to offer me your friendship, I
shall be proud to accept it."
 
The house to which Agnes was hastening was that of her nurse, from whom
she had always experienced the affection of a mother, and hoped now to
receive a temporary asylum; but she might not be living--and, with a
beating heart, Agnes knocked at the door. It was opened by Fanny, her
nurse's daughter, the play-fellow of Agnes's childhood.--"Thank Heaven!"
said Agnes, as she hastened back to the cottager, "I hope I have, at
least, one friend left;" and telling him he might go home again, as she was almost certain of shelter for the night, the poor man shook her heartily by the hand, prayed God to bless her, and departed.

댓글 없음: