2015년 8월 2일 일요일

Walks near Edinburgh 13

Walks near Edinburgh 13


THE WATER O' WEARIE'S WELL.
 
There cam a bird out o' a bush
On water for to dine,
And sighing sair, said the King's dochter,
"O! wae's this heart o' mine."
 
He's ta'en a Harp into his hand,
He's harped them a' asleep,
Except it was the King's dochter,
Who ae wink couldna get.
 
He's luppen on his berry-brown steed,
Ta'en her on behind himsel',
And they rade down to that water
That they ca' Wearie's Well.
 
"Wade in, wade in, my ladye fair,
Nae harm shall thee befa'.
Aft times I hae watered my guid steed
Wi' the water o' Wearie's Well."
 
The first step she steppit in,
She steppit to the knee,
And sighin' said this ladye fair,
"This water's no' for me."
 
"Wade in, wade in, my ladye fair,
Nae harm shall thee befa'.
Aft times I hae watered my guid steed
Wi' the water o' Wearie's Well."
 
The next step that she stepped in,
She steppit to the middle,
And sighin' said that ladye fair,
"I've wat my golden girdle."
 
"Wade in, wade in, my ladye fair,
Nae harm shall thee befa'.
Aft times I hae watered my guid steed
Wi' the water o' Wearies Well."
 
The next step that she stepped in,
She steppit to the chin,
And sighin' said this ladye fair,
"It will gar our loves to twine."
 
"Seven King's dochters I hae drowned
In the water o' Wearie's Well,
And I'll mak' you the eighth o' them,
An' I'll ring for you the Bell."
 
"Sin' I am standin' here," she says,
"This dowie death to die,
Grant me ae kiss o' your fause, fause mouth,
For that would comfort me."
 
He leaned him ower his saddle bow
To kiss her cheek and chin,
She's ta'en him in her arms twa
And thrown him headlong in.
 
"Sin' seven King's dochters ye've drowned there
In the water o' Wearie's Well,
I'll mak' you bridegroom to them a',
An' ring the Bell mysel'."
 
An' aye she warsled, an' aye she swam,
Till she won to dry land,
Then thankit God maist heartilie
The dangers she'd ower cum.
 
The other song is the Scottish version of the old fairy tale of the
Frog Prince, and runs thus:--
 
THE LADYE AND THE FAIRY; OR THE PADDO'S SANG.
 
Oh, open the door, my hinnie, my heart!
Oh, open the door, my ain true love!
An' mind the words that you and I spak
By the well o' the woods o' Wearie O!
 
Oh, gi'e me my castock,[44] my hinnie, my heart,
Oh, gi'e me my castock, my ain true love,
An' mind the words that you and I spak'
By the well o' the woods o' Wearie O!
 
Oh, gi'e me my kail, my hinnie, my heart,
Oh, gi'e me my kail, my ain true love!
An' mind the words that you and I spak'
At the well in the woods o' Wearie.
 
Oh, gi'e me your hand, my hinnie, my heart,
Oh, gi'e me your hand, my ain true love,
An' mind the words that you and I spak'
By the well in the woods o' Wearie.
 
Oh, wae to ye now, my hinnie, my heart,
Oh, wae to ye now, my wise fause love;
Ye've broken the words ye gi'ed to me
At the well in the woods o' Wearie!
 
There is a very pretty old tune to "The Paddo's Sang."
 
[44] Castock, cabbage-stock.
 
It was here that, in 1596, a bloody murder was committed. On the 22nd
of December, James Carmichael, the Laird of Carmichael's second son,
surprised and slew Stephen Bruntfield, the Captain of Tantallon.
History does not relate what cause or provocation there was for this
crime; but it did not long go unavenged, for the following March,
Adam Bruntfield, younger brother of the murdered man, challenged
Carmichael, and, having procured a licence from the king, fought
with him in single combat on Barnbougle Links, before five thousand
spectators. The lists were erected under the superintendence of
several of the nobles of James VI.'s court. The Duke of Lennox, Sir
James Sandilands, the Laird of Buccleuch, and Lord St. Clair acted
as judges. The combatants were curiously arrayed,--the one in blue
taffety, the other in red satin. Carmichael was a strong, powerful
man, and at the first encounter he wounded his adversary, who was
much younger, and of a mean stature; but, to the surprise of every
one, Bruntfield immediately after struck Carmichael on the neck
and slew him. He was taken back to Edinburgh in triumph, while his
antagonist was borne in dead.[45]
 
With this curious instance of the troubled times in which our
forefathers lived, we shall end this walk, having returned to
Edinburgh very nearly at the spot from which we started.
 
[45] Birrel's _Diary_; Anderson's _MS. History of Scotland_ in the
Advocates' Library.
 
 
 
 
WALK IV.
 
 
St. Margaret's Well--St. Anthony's Chapel--Muschat's
Cairn--Jock's Lodge--Portobello--Restalrig.
 
To-day's walk must be a short one, for, with the sea in front of
us, and the rapidly increasing boundaries of Leith and Portobello
on either side, there only remains a small space to be explored.
Let us start from the Holyrood entrance to the Queen's Park, and
walk towards St. Margaret's Loch. The iron-barred gate, which
apparently leads to a vault in the hill-side to our right, guards
the curious old well of St. Margaret. If we go close to the bars,
in a few minutes our eyes become accustomed to the darkness, and we
can clearly see the venerable arches, with the central pillar which
supports the richly groined roof. A stone ledge runs round seven
sides of the building, a little above the level of the water, which
always flows there, clear and icy cold. The well formerly stood in a
picturesque situation near the church of Restalrig, and very probably
was the original fountain of St. Triduan, to which pilgrimages were
made.[46] An ancient elder-tree with twisted branches overshadowed
it; a tiny thatched cottage stood hard by; and the spot was the most
sheltered and peaceful that could be imagined. When the North British
Railway threatened to bury this curious well beneath its embankment,
and eventually destroy it (as it destroyed the beautiful and
venerable Collegiate Church of the Holy Trinity), Dr. Laing and other
enlightened and energetic antiquarians of the day made a successful
attempt to move the whole structure to the Queen's Park, where it was
erected over what was known of old as St. David's or the Rood Well.
It is now in safety, and presents its original appearance, though
deprived of its former picturesque surroundings.
 
[46] Sir David Lindsay writes of persons going
 
To Sanct Trid well to mend thair ene.
 
 
A little farther on, a steep path winds away up to St. Anthony's
Chapel, passing the stone from which gushes the famous wishing-well.
This well is mentioned in the beautiful and pathetic ballad of "The
Marchioness of Douglas," which begins,
 
Oh, waly, waly up yon bank,
An' waly, waly down yon brae.[47]
 
[47] I had intended only to quote a few lines of this touching
lament, but it is all so beautiful, I cannot refrain from quoting the
whole, and trust that those who know it well already will not mind
reading it again.
 
THE MARCHIONESS OF DOUGLAS.
 
Oh, waly, waly up yon bank,
An' waly, waly down yon brae,
An' waly, waly by yon burn side,
Whar I an' my love were wont to gae.

댓글 없음: