2014년 9월 4일 목요일

Chronicles of Avonlea 7

Chronicles of Avonlea 7


"Yes, I think it would be the wisest thing," said Alexander Abraham--not
disagreeably this time, but reflectively, as if there was some
doubt about the matter. "I'll let you out by the back door. Then
the--ahem!--the dog will not interfere with you. Please go away quietly
and quickly."

I wondered if Alexander Abraham thought I would go away with a whoop.
But I said nothing, thinking this the most dignified course of conduct,
and I followed him out to the kitchen as quickly and quietly as he could
have wished. Such a kitchen!

Alexander Abraham opened the door--which was locked--just as a buggy
containing two men drove into the yard.

"Too late!" he exclaimed in a tragic tone. I understood that something
dreadful must have happened, but I did not care, since, as I
fondly supposed, it did not concern me. I pushed out past Alexander
Abraham--who was looking as guilty as if he had been caught
burglarizing--and came face to face with the man who had sprung from the
buggy. It was old Dr. Blair, from Carmody, and he was looking at me as
if he had found me shoplifting.

"My dear Peter," he said gravely, "I am VERY sorry to see you here--very
sorry indeed."

I admit that this exasperated me. Besides, no man on earth, not even my
own family doctor, has any right to "My dear Peter" me!

"There is no loud call for sorrow, doctor," I said loftily. "If a woman,
forty-eight years of age, a member of the Presbyterian church in good
and regular standing, cannot call upon one of her Sunday School scholars
without wrecking all the proprieties, how old must she be before she
can?"

The doctor did not answer my question. Instead, he looked reproachfully
at Alexander Abraham.

"Is this how you keep your word, Mr. Bennett?" he said. "I thought that
you promised me that you would not let anyone into the house."

"I didn't let her in," growled Mr. Bennett. "Good heavens, man, she
climbed in at an upstairs window, despite the presence on my grounds of
a policeman and a dog! What is to be done with a woman like that?"

"I do not understand what all this means," I said addressing myself to
the doctor and ignoring Alexander Abraham entirely, "but if my presence
here is so extremely inconvenient to all concerned, you can soon be
relieved of it. I am going at once."

"I am very sorry, my dear Peter," said the doctor impressively,
"but that is just what I cannot allow you to do. This house is under
quarantine for smallpox. You will have to stay here."

Smallpox! For the first and last time in my life, I openly lost my
temper with a man. I wheeled furiously upon Alexander Abraham.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I cried.

"Tell you!" he said, glaring at me. "When I first saw you it was too
late to tell you. I thought the kindest thing I could do was to hold my
tongue and let you get away in happy ignorance. This will teach you to
take a man's house by storm, madam!"

"Now, now, don't quarrel, my good people," interposed the doctor
seriously--but I saw a twinkle in his eye. "You'll have to spend some
time together under the same roof and you won't improve the situation
by disagreeing. You see, Peter, it was this way. Mr. Bennett was in
town yesterday--where, as you are aware, there is a bad outbreak of
smallpox--and took dinner in a boarding-house where one of the maids
was ill. Last night she developed unmistakable symptoms of smallpox. The
Board of Health at once got after all the people who were in the
house yesterday, so far as they could locate them, and put them under
quarantine. I came down here this morning and explained the matter to
Mr. Bennett. I brought Jeremiah Jeffries to guard the front of the house
and Mr. Bennett gave me his word of honour that he would not let anyone
in by the back way while I went to get another policeman and make
all the necessary arrangements. I have brought Thomas Wright and have
secured the services of another man to attend to Mr. Bennett's barn work
and bring provisions to the house. Jacob Green and Cleophas Lee will
watch at night. I don't think there is much danger of Mr. Bennett's
taking the smallpox, but until we are sure you must remain here, Peter."

While listening to the doctor I had been thinking. It was the most
distressing predicament I had ever got into in my life, but there was no
sense in making it worse.

"Very well, doctor," I said calmly. "Yes, I was vaccinated a month
ago, when the news of the smallpox first came. When you go back through
Avonlea kindly go to Sarah Pye and ask her to live in my house during
my absence and look after things, especially the cats. Tell her to give
them new milk twice a day and a square inch of butter apiece once a
week. Get her to put my two dark print wrappers, some aprons, and some
changes of underclothing in my third best valise and have it sent down
to me. My pony is tied out there to the fence. Please take him home.
That is all, I think."

"No, it isn't all," said Alexander Abraham grumpily. "Send that
cat home, too. I won't have a cat around the place--I'd rather have
smallpox."

I looked Alexander Abraham over gradually, in a way I have, beginning at
his feet and traveling up to his head. I took my time over it; and then
I said, very quietly.

"You may have both. Anyway, you'll have to have William Adolphus. He is
under quarantine as well as you and I. Do you suppose I am going to have
my cat ranging at large through Avonlea, scattering smallpox germs among
innocent people? I'll have to put up with that dog of yours. You will
have to endure William Adolphus."

Alexander Abraham groaned, but I could see that the way I had looked him
over had chastened him considerably.

The doctor drove away, and I went into the house, not choosing to linger
outside and be grinned at by Thomas Wright. I hung my coat up in the
hall and laid my bonnet carefully on the sitting-room table, having
first dusted a clean place for it with my handkerchief. I longed to fall
upon that house at once and clean it up, but I had to wait until the
doctor came back with my wrapper. I could not clean house in my new suit
and a silk shirtwaist.

Alexander Abraham was sitting on a chair looking at me. Presently he
said,

"I am NOT curious--but will you kindly tell me why the doctor called you
Peter?"

"Because that is my name, I suppose," I answered, shaking up a cushion
for William Adolphus and thereby disturbing the dust of years.

Alexander Abraham coughed gently.

"Isn't that--ahem!--rather a peculiar name for a woman?"

"It is," I said, wondering how much soap, if any, there was in the
house.

"I am NOT curious," said Alexander Abraham, "but would you mind telling
me how you came to be called Peter?"

"If I had been a boy my parents intended to call me Peter in honour of
a rich uncle. When I--fortunately--turned out to be a girl my mother
insisted that I should be called Angelina. They gave me both names and
called me Angelina, but as soon as I grew old enough I decided to be
called Peter. It was bad enough, but not so bad as Angelina."

"I should say it was more appropriate," said Alexander Abraham,
intending, as I perceived, to be disagreeable.

"Precisely," I agreed calmly. "My last name is MacPherson, and I live
in Avonlea. As you are NOT curious, that will be all the information you
will need about me."

"Oh!" Alexander Abraham looked as if a light had broken in on him. "I've
heard of you. You--ah--pretend to dislike men."

Pretend! Goodness only knows what would have happened to Alexander
Abraham just then if a diversion had not taken place. But the door
opened and a dog came in--THE dog. I suppose he had got tired waiting
under the cherry tree for William Adolphus and me to come down. He was
even uglier indoors than out.

"Oh, Mr. Riley, Mr. Riley, see what you have let me in for," said
Alexander Abraham reproachfully.

But Mr. Riley--since that was the brute's name--paid no attention to
Alexander Abraham. He had caught sight of William Adolphus curled up on
the cushion, and he started across the room to investigate him. William
Adolphus sat up and began to take notice.

"Call off that dog," I said warningly to Alexander Abraham.

"Call him off yourself," he retorted. "Since you've brought that cat
here you can protect him."

"Oh, it wasn't for William Adolphus' sake I spoke," I said pleasantly.
"William Adolphus can protect himself."

William Adolphus could and did. He humped his back, flattened his ears,
swore once, and then made a flying leap for Mr. Riley. William Adolphus
landed squarely on Mr. Riley's brindled back and promptly took fast
hold, spitting and clawing and caterwauling.

You never saw a more astonished dog than Mr. Riley. With a yell of
terror he bolted out to the kitchen, out of the kitchen into the hall,
through the hall into the room, and so into the kitchen and round again.
With each circuit he went faster and faster, until he looked like a
brindled streak with a dash of black and white on top. Such a racket
and commotion I never heard, and I laughed until the tears came into
my eyes. Mr. Riley flew around and around, and William Adolphus held on
grimly and clawed. Alexander Abraham turned purple with rage.

"Woman, call off that infernal cat before he kills my dog," he shouted
above the din of yelps and yowls.

"Oh, he won't kill him," I said reassuringly, "and he's going too fast
to hear me if I did call him. If you can stop the dog, Mr. Bennett, I'll
guarantee to make William Adolphus listen to reason, but there's no use
trying to argue with a lightning flash."

Alexander Abraham made a frantic lunge at the brindled streak as it
whirled past him, with the result that he overbalanced himself and went
sprawling on the floor with a crash. I ran to help him up, which only
seemed to enrage him further.

"Woman," he spluttered viciously, "I wish you and your fiend of a cat
were in--in--"

"In Avonlea," I finished quickly, to save Alexander Abraham from
committing profanity. "So do I, Mr. Bennett, with all my heart. But
since we are not, let us make the best of it like sensible people. And
in future you will kindly remember that my name is Miss MacPherson, NOT
Woman!"

With this the end came and I was thankful, for the noise those two
animals made was so terrific that I expected the policeman would be
rushing in, smallpox or no smallpox, to see if Alexander Abraham and I
were trying to murder each other. Mr. Riley suddenly veered in his mad
career and bolted into a dark corner between the stove and the wood-box,
William Adolphus let go just in time.

There never was any more trouble with Mr. Riley after that. A meeker,
more thoroughly chastened dog you could not find. William Adolphus had
the best of it and he kept it.

Seeing that things had calmed down and that it was five o'clock I
decided to get tea. I told Alexander Abraham that I would prepare it, if
he would show me where the eatables were.

"You needn't mind," said Alexander Abraham. "I've been in the habit of
getting my own tea for twenty years."

"I daresay. But you haven't been in the habit of getting mine," I said
firmly. "I wouldn't eat anything you cooked if I starved to death. If
you want some occupation, you'd better get some salve and anoint the
scratches on that poor dog's back."

Alexander Abraham said something that I prudently did not hear. Seeing
that he had no information to hand out I went on an exploring expedition
into the pantry. The place was awful beyond description, and for the
first time a vague sentiment of pity for Alexander Abraham glimmered in
my breast. When a man had to live in such surroundings the wonder was,
not that he hated women, but that he didn't hate the whole human race.

But I got up a supper somehow. I am noted for getting up suppers. The
bread was from the Carmody bakery and I made good tea and excellent
toast; besides, I found a can of peaches in the pantry which, as they
were bought, I wasn't afraid to eat.

That tea and toast mellowed Alexander Abraham in spite of himself. He
ate the last crust, and didn't growl when I gave William Adolphus all
the cream that was left. Mr. Riley did not seem to want anything. He had
no appetite.

By this time the doctor's boy had arrived with my valise. Alexander
Abraham gave me quite civilly to understand that there was a spare room
across the hall and that I might take possession of it. I went to it and
put on a wrapper. There was a set of fine furniture in the room, and a
comfortable bed. But the dust! William Adolphus had followed me in and
his paws left marks everywhere he walked.

"Now," I said briskly, returning to the kitchen, "I'm going to clean up
and I shall begin with this kitchen. You'd better betake yourself to the
sitting-room, Mr. Bennett, so as to be out of the way."

Alexander Abraham glared at me.

"I'm not going to have my house meddled with," he snapped. "It suits me.
If you don't like it you can leave it."

"No, I can't. That is just the trouble," I said pleasantly. "If I could
leave it I shouldn't be here for a minute. Since I can't, it simply has
to be cleaned. I can tolerate men and dogs when I am compelled to, but
I cannot and will not tolerate dirt and disorder. Go into the
sitting-room."

Alexander Abraham went. As he closed the door, I heard him say, in
capitals, "WHAT AN AWFUL WOMAN!"

I cleared that kitchen and the pantry adjoining. It was ten o'clock when
I got through, and Alexander Abraham had gone to bed without deigning
further speech. I locked Mr. Riley in one room and William Adolphus in
another and went to bed, too. I had never felt so dead tired in my life
before. It had been a hard day.

But I got up bright and early the next morning and got a tiptop
breakfast, which Alexander Abraham condescended to eat. When the
provision man came into the yard I called to him from the window
to bring me a box of soap in the afternoon, and then I tackled the
sitting-room.

It took me the best part of a week to get that house in order, but I did
it thoroughly. I am noted for doing things thoroughly. At the end of
the time it was clean from garret to cellar. Alexander Abraham made no
comments on my operations, though he groaned loud and often, and said
caustic things to poor Mr. Riley, who hadn't the spirit to answer back
after his drubbing by William Adolphus. I made allowances for Alexander
Abraham because his vaccination had taken and his arm was real sore;
and I cooked elegant meals, not having much else to do, once I had got
things scoured up. The house was full of provisions--Alexander Abraham
wasn't mean about such things, I will say that for him. Altogether, I
was more comfortable than I had expected to be. When Alexander Abraham
wouldn't talk I let him alone; and when he would I just said as
sarcastic things as he did, only I said them smiling and pleasant. I
could see he had a wholesome awe for me. But now and then he seemed to
forget his disposition and talked like a human being. We had one or two
real interesting conversations. Alexander Abraham was an intelligent
man, though he had got terribly warped. I told him once I thought he
must have been nice when he was a boy.

One day he astonished me by appearing at the dinner table with his hair
brushed and a white collar on. We had a tiptop dinner that day, and
I had made a pudding that was far too good for a woman hater. When
Alexander Abraham had disposed of two large platefuls of it, he sighed
and said,

"You can certainly cook. It's a pity you are such a detestable crank in
other respects."

"It's kind of convenient being a crank," I said. "People are careful
how they meddle with you. Haven't you found that out in your own
experience?"

"I am NOT a crank," growled Alexander Abraham resentfully. "All I ask is
to be let alone."

"That's the very crankiest kind of crank," I said. "A person who wants
to be let alone flies in the face of Providence, who decreed that folks
for their own good were not to be let alone. But cheer up, Mr. Bennett.
The quarantine will be up on Tuesday and then you'll certainly be let
alone for the rest of your natural life, as far as William Adolphus and
I are concerned. You may then return to your wallowing in the mire and
be as dirty and comfortable as of yore."

Alexander Abraham growled again. The prospect didn't seem to cheer him
up as much as I should have expected. Then he did an amazing thing. He
poured some cream into a saucer and set it down before William Adolphus.
William Adolphus lapped it up, keeping one eye on Alexander Abraham lest
the latter should change his mind. Not to be outdone, I handed Mr. Riley
a bone.

Neither Alexander Abraham nor I had worried much about the smallpox. We
didn't believe he would take it, for he hadn't even seen the girl who
was sick. But the very next morning I heard him calling me from the
upstairs landing.

"Miss MacPherson," he said in a voice so uncommonly mild that it gave me
an uncanny feeling, "what are the symptoms of smallpox?"

"Chills and flushes, pain in the limbs and back, nausea and vomiting,"
I answered promptly, for I had been reading them up in a patent medicine
almanac.

"I've got them all," said Alexander Abraham hollowly.

I didn't feel as much scared as I should have expected. After enduring a
woman hater and a brindled dog and the early disorder of that house--and
coming off best with all three--smallpox seemed rather insignificant. I
went to the window and called to Thomas Wright to send for the doctor.

The doctor came down from Alexander Abraham's room looking grave.

"It's impossible to pronounce on the disease yet," he said. "There is
no certainty until the eruption appears. But, of course, there is every
likelihood that it is the smallpox. It is very unfortunate. I am afraid
that it will be difficult to get a nurse. All the nurses in town who
will take smallpox cases are overbusy now, for the epidemic is still
raging there. However, I'll go into town to-night and do my best.
Meanwhile, at present, you must not go near him, Peter."

I wasn't going to take orders from any man, and as soon as the doctor
had gone I marched straight up to Alexander Abraham's room with some
dinner for him on a tray. There was a lemon cream I thought he could eat
even if he had the smallpox.

"You shouldn't come near me," he growled. "You are risking your life."

"I am not going to see a fellow creature starve to death, even if he is
a man," I retorted.

"The worst of it all," groaned Alexander Abraham, between mouthfuls of
lemon cream, "is that the doctor says I've got to have a nurse. I've got
so kind of used to you being in the house that I don't mind you, but the
thought of another woman coming here is too much. Did you give my poor
dog anything to eat?"

"He has had a better dinner than many a Christian," I said severely.

Alexander Abraham need not have worried about another woman coming in.
The doctor came back that night with care on his brow.

"I don't know what is to be done," he said. "I can't get a soul to come
here."

"_I_ shall nurse Mr. Bennett," I said with dignity. "It is my duty and
I never shirk my duty. I am noted for that. He is a man, and he has
smallpox, and he keeps a vile dog; but I am not going to see him die for
lack of care for all that."

"You're a good soul, Peter," said the doctor, looking relieved, manlike,
as soon as he found a woman to shoulder the responsibility.

I nursed Alexander Abraham through the smallpox, and I didn't mind it
much. He was much more amiable sick than well, and he had the disease
in a very mild form. Below stairs I reigned supreme and Mr. Riley and
William Adolphus lay down together like the lion and the lamb. I fed
Mr. Riley regularly, and once, seeing him looking lonesome, I patted him
gingerly. It was nicer than I thought it would be. Mr. Riley lifted his
head and looked at me with an expression in his eyes which cured me of
wondering why on earth Alexander Abraham was so fond of the beast.

When Alexander Abraham was able to sit up, he began to make up for the
time he'd lost being pleasant. Anything more sarcastic than that man in
his convalescence you couldn't imagine. I just laughed at him, having
found out that that could be depended on to irritate him. To irritate
him still further I cleaned the house all over again. But what vexed him
most of all was that Mr. Riley took to following me about and wagging
what he had of a tail at me.

"It wasn't enough that you should come into my peaceful home and turn
it upside down, but you have to alienate the affections of my dog,"
complained Alexander Abraham.

"He'll get fond of you again when I go home," I said comfortingly. "Dogs
aren't very particular that way. What they want is bones. Cats now,
they love disinterestedly. William Adolphus has never swerved in his
allegiance to me, although you do give him cream in the pantry on the
sly."

Alexander Abraham looked foolish. He hadn't thought I knew that.

I didn't take the smallpox and in another week the doctor came out and
sent the policeman home. I was disinfected and William Adolphus was
fumigated, and then we were free to go.

"Good-bye, Mr. Bennett," I said, offering to shake hands in a forgiving
spirit. "I've no doubt that you are glad to be rid of me, but you are no
gladder than I am to go. I suppose this house will be dirtier than ever
in a month's time, and Mr. Riley will have discarded the little polish
his manners have taken on. Reformation with men and dogs never goes very
deep."

With this Parthian shaft I walked out of the house, supposing that I had
seen the last of it and Alexander Abraham.

I was glad to get back home, of course; but it did seem queer and
lonesome. The cats hardly knew me, and William Adolphus roamed about
forlornly and appeared to feel like an exile. I didn't take as much
pleasure in cooking as usual, for it seemed kind of foolish to be
fussing over oneself. The sight of a bone made me think of poor Mr.
Riley. The neighbours avoided me pointedly, for they couldn't get rid
of the fear that I might erupt into smallpox at any moment. My Sunday
School class had been given to another woman, and altogether I felt as
if I didn't belong anywhere.

I had existed like this for a fortnight when Alexander Abraham suddenly
appeared. He walked in one evening at dusk, but at first sight I didn't
know him he was so spruced and barbered up. But William Adolphus knew
him. Will you believe it, William Adolphus, my own William Adolphus,
rubbed up against that man's trouser leg with an undisguised purr of
satisfaction.

"I had to come, Angelina," said Alexander Abraham. "I couldn't stand it
any longer."

"My name is Peter," I said coldly, although I was feeling ridiculously
glad about something.

"It isn't," said Alexander Abraham stubbornly. "It is Angelina for me,
and always will be. I shall never call you Peter. Angelina just suits
you exactly; and Angelina Bennett would suit you still better. You must
come back, Angelina. Mr. Riley is moping for you, and I can't get along
without somebody to appreciate my sarcasms, now that you have accustomed
me to the luxury."

"What about the other five cats?" I demanded.

Alexander Abraham sighed.

"I suppose they'll have to come too," he sighed, "though no doubt
they'll chase poor Mr. Riley clean off the premises. But I can live
without him, and I can't without you. How soon can you be ready to marry
me?"

"I haven't said that I was going to marry you at all, have I?" I said
tartly, just to be consistent. For I wasn't feeling tart.

"No, but you will, won't you?" said Alexander Abraham anxiously.
"Because if you won't, I wish you'd let me die of the smallpox. Do, dear
Angelina."

To think that a man should dare to call me his "dear Angelina!" And to
think that I shouldn't mind!

"Where I go, William Adolphus goes," I said, "but I shall give away the
other five cats for--for the sake of Mr. Riley."




IX. Pa Sloane's Purchase


"I guess the molasses is getting low, ain't it?" said Pa Sloane
insinuatingly. "S'pose I'd better drive up to Carmody this afternoon and
get some more."

"There's a good half-gallon of molasses in the jug yet," said ma Sloane
ruthlessly.

"That so? Well, I noticed the kerosene demijohn wasn't very hefty the
last time I filled the can. Reckon it needs replenishing."

"We have kerosene enough to do for a fortnight yet." Ma continued to eat
her dinner with an impassive face, but a twinkle made itself apparent in
her eye. Lest Pa should see it, and feel encouraged thereby, she looked
immovably at her plate.

Pa Sloane sighed. His invention was giving out.

"Didn't I hear you say day before yesterday that you were out of
nutmegs?" he queried, after a few moments' severe reflection.

"I got a supply of them from the egg-pedlar yesterday," responded Ma,
by a great effort preventing the twinkle from spreading over her entire
face. She wondered if this third failure would squelch Pa. But Pa was
not to be squelched.

"Well, anyway," he said, brightening up under the influence of a sudden
saving inspiration. "I'll have to go up to get the sorrel mare shod. So,
if you've any little errands you want done at the store, Ma, just make a
memo of them while I hitch up."

The matter of shoeing the sorrel mare was beyond Ma's province, although
she had her own suspicions about the sorrel mare's need of shoes.

"Why can't you give up beating about the bush, Pa?" she demanded,
with contemptuous pity. "You might as well own up what's taking you to
Carmody. _I_ can see through your design. You want to get away to the
Garland auction. That is what is troubling you, Pa Sloane."

"I dunno but what I might step over, seeing it's so handy. But the
sorrel mare really does need shoeing, Ma," protested Pa.

"There's always something needing to be done if it's convenient,"
retorted Ma. "Your mania for auctions will be the ruin of you yet, Pa.
A man of fifty-five ought to have grown out of such a hankering. But
the older you get the worse you get. Anyway, if _I_ wanted to go to
auctions, I'd select them as was something like, and not waste my time
on little one-horse affairs like this of Garland's."

"One might pick up something real cheap at Garland's," said Pa
defensively.

"Well, you are not going to pick up anything, cheap or otherwise, Pa
Sloane, because I'm going with you to see that you don't. I know I can't
stop you from going. I might as well try to stop the wind from blowing.
But I shall go, too, out of self-defence. This house is so full now of
old clutter and truck that you've brought home from auctions that I feel
as if I was made up out of pieces and left overs."

Pa Sloane sighed again. It was not exhilarating to attend an auction
with Ma. She would never let him bid on anything. But he realized that
Ma's mind was made up beyond the power of mortal man's persuasion to
alter it, so he went out to hitch up.

Pa Sloane's dissipation was going to auctions and buying things that
nobody else would buy. Ma Sloane's patient endeavours of over thirty
years had been able to effect only a partial reform. Sometimes Pa
heroically refrained from going to an auction for six months at a time;
then he would break out worse than ever, go to all that took place for
miles around, and come home with a wagonful of misfits. His last exploit
had been to bid on an old dasher churn for five dollars--the boys "ran
things up" on Pa Sloane for the fun of it--and bring it home to outraged
Ma, who had made her butter for fifteen years in the very latest, most
up-to-date barrel churn. To add insult to injury this was the second
dasher churn Pa had bought at auction. That settled it. Ma decreed that
henceforth she would chaperon Pa when he went to auctions.

But this was the day of Pa's good angel. When he drove up to the door
where Ma was waiting, a breathless, hatless imp of ten flew into the
yard, and hurled himself between Ma and the wagon-step.

"Oh, Mrs. Sloane, won't you come over to our house at once?" he gasped.
"The baby, he's got colic, and ma's just wild, and he's all black in the
face."

Ma went, feeling that the stars in their courses fought against a woman
who was trying to do her duty by her husband. But first she admonished
Pa.

"I shall have to let you go alone. But I charge you, Pa, not to bid on
anything--on ANYTHING, do you hear?"

Pa heard and promised to heed, with every intention of keeping his
promise. Then he drove away joyfully. On any other occasion Ma would
have been a welcome companion. But she certainly spoiled the flavour of
an auction.

When Pa arrived at the Carmody store, he saw that the little yard of the
Garland place below the hill was already full of people. The auction had
evidently begun; so, not to miss any more of it, Pa hurried down. The
sorrel mare could wait for her shoes until afterwards.

Ma had been within bounds when she called the Garland auction a
"one-horse affair." It certainly was very paltry, especially when
compared to the big Donaldson auction of a month ago, which Pa still
lived over in happy dreams.

Horace Garland and his wife had been poor. When they died within six
weeks of each other, one of consumption and one of pneumonia, they left
nothing but debts and a little furniture. The house had been a rented
one.

The bidding on the various poor articles of household gear put up
for sale was not brisk, but had an element of resigned determination.
Carmody people knew that these things had to be sold to pay the debts,
and they could not be sold unless they were bought. Still, it was a very
tame affair.

A woman came out of the house carrying a baby of about eighteen months
in her arms, and sat down on the bench beneath the window.

"There's Marthy Blair with the Garland Baby," said Robert Lawson to Pa.
"I'd like to know what's to become of that poor young one!"

"Ain't there any of the father's or mother's folks to take him?" asked
Pa.

"No. Horace had no relatives that anybody ever heard of. Mrs. Horace had
a brother; but he went to Manitoba years ago, and nobody knows where he
is now. Somebody'll have to take the baby and nobody seems anxious to.
I've got eight myself, or I'd think about it. He's a fine little chap."

Pa, with Ma's parting admonition ringing in his ears, did not bid on
anything, although it will never be known how great was the heroic
self-restraint he put on himself, until just at the last, when he did
bid on a collection of flower-pots, thinking he might indulge himself to
that small extent. But Josiah Sloane had been commissioned by his wife
to bring those flower-pots home to her; so Pa lost them.

"There, that's all," said the auctioneer, wiping his face, for the day
was very warm for October.

"There's nothing more unless we sell the baby."

A laugh went through the crowd. The sale had been a dull affair, and
they were ready for some fun. Someone called out, "Put him up, Jacob."
The joke found favour and the call was repeated hilariously.

Jacob Blair took little Teddy Garland out of Martha's arms and stood him
up on the table by the door, steadying the small chap with one big brown
hand. The baby had a mop of yellow curls, and a pink and white face, and
big blue eyes. He laughed out at the men before him and waved his hands
in delight. Pa Sloane thought he had never seen so pretty a baby.

"Here's a baby for sale," shouted the auctioneer. "A genuine article,
pretty near as good as brand-new. A real live baby, warranted to walk
and talk a little. Who bids? A dollar? Did I hear anyone mean enough to
bid a dollar? No, sir, babies don't come as cheap as that, especially
the curly-headed brand."

The crowd laughed again. Pa Sloane, by way of keeping on the joke,
cried, "Four dollars!"

Everybody looked at him. The impression flashed through the crowd that
Pa was in earnest, and meant thus to signify his intention of giving
the baby a home. He was well-to-do, and his only son was grown up and
married.

"Six," cried out John Clarke from the other side of the yard. John
Clarke lived at White Sands and he and his wife were childless.

That bid of John Clarke's was Pa's undoing. Pa Sloane could not have an
enemy; but a rival he had, and that rival was John Clarke. Everywhere at
auctions John Clarke was wont to bid against Pa. At the last auction he
had outbid Pa in everything, not having the fear of his wife before his
eyes. Pa's fighting blood was up in a moment; he forgot Ma Sloane;
he forgot what he was bidding for; he forgot everything except a
determination that John Clarke should not be victor again.

"Ten," he called shrilly.

"Fifteen," shouted Clarke.

"Twenty," vociferated Pa.

"Twenty-five," bellowed Clarke.

"Thirty," shrieked Pa. He nearly bust a blood-vessel in his shrieking,
but he had won. Clarke turned off with a laugh and a shrug, and the baby
was knocked down to Pa Sloane by the auctioneer, who had meanwhile been
keeping the crowd in roars of laughter by a quick fire of witticisms.
There had not been such fun at an auction in Carmody for many a long
day.

Pa Sloane came, or was pushed, forward. The baby was put into his arms;
he realized that he was expected to keep it, and he was too dazed to
refuse; besides, his heart went out to the child.

The auctioneer looked doubtfully at the money which Pa laid mutely down.

"I s'pose that part was only a joke," he said.

"Not a bit of it," said Robert Lawson. "All the money won't be too much
to pay the debts. There's a doctor's bill, and this will just about pay
it."

Pa Sloane drove back home, with the sorrel mare still unshod, the baby,
and the baby's meager bundle of clothes. The baby did not trouble him
much; it had become well used to strangers in the past two months, and
promptly fell asleep on his arm; but Pa Sloane did not enjoy that drive;
at the end of it he mentally saw Ma Sloane.

Ma was there, too, waiting for him on the back door-step as he drove
into the yard at sunset. Her face, when she saw the baby, expressed the
last degree of amazement.

"Pa Sloane," she demanded, "whose is that young one, and where did you
get it?"

"I--I--bought it at the auction, Ma," said Pa feebly. Then he waited for
the explosion. None came. This last exploit of Pa's was too much for Ma.

With a gasp she snatched the baby from Pa's arms, and ordered him to go
out and put the mare in. When Pa returned to the kitchen Ma had set the
baby on the sofa, fenced him around with chairs so that he couldn't fall
off and given him a molassed cooky.

"Now, Pa Sloane, you can explain," she said.

Pa explained. Ma listened in grim silence until he had finished. Then
she said sternly:

"Do you reckon we're going to keep this baby?"

"I--I--dunno," said Pa. And he didn't.

"Well, we're NOT. I brought up one boy and that's enough. I don't
calculate to be pestered with any more. I never was much struck on
children _as_ children, anyhow. You say that Mary Garland had a brother
out in Manitoba? Well, we shall just write to him and tell him he's got
to look out for his nephew."

"But how can you do that, Ma, when nobody knows his address?" objected
Pa, with a wistful look at that delicious, laughing baby.

"I'll find out his address if I have to advertise in the papers for
him," retorted Ma. "As for you, Pa Sloane, you're not fit to be out of a
lunatic asylum. The next auction you'll be buying a wife, I s'pose?"

Pa, quite crushed by Ma's sarcasm, pulled his chair in to supper. Ma
picked up the baby and sat down at the head of the table. Little Teddy
laughed and pinched her face--Ma's face! Ma looked very grim, but she
fed him his supper as skilfully as if it had not been thirty years
since she had done such a thing. But then, the woman who once learns the
mother knack never forgets it.

After tea Ma despatched Pa over to William Alexander's to borrow a high
chair. When Pa returned in the twilight, the baby was fenced in on
the sofa again, and Ma was stepping briskly about the garret. She was
bringing down the little cot bed her own boy had once occupied, and
setting it up in their room for Teddy. Then she undressed the baby and
rocked him to sleep, crooning an old lullaby over him. Pa Sloane sat
quietly and listened, with very sweet memories of the long ago, when he
and Ma had been young and proud, and the bewhiskered William Alexander
had been a curly-headed little fellow like this one.

Ma was not driven to advertising for Mrs. Garland's brother. That
personage saw the notice of his sister's death in a home paper and wrote
to the Carmody postmaster for full information. The letter was referred
to Ma and Ma answered it.

She wrote that they had taken in the baby, pending further arrangements,
but had no intention of keeping it; and she calmly demanded of its uncle
what was to be done with it. Then she sealed and addressed the letter
with an unfaltering hand; but, when it was done, she looked across the
table at Pa Sloane, who was sitting in the armchair with the baby on his
knee. They were having a royal good time together. Pa had always been
dreadfully foolish about babies. He looked ten years younger. Ma's keen
eyes softened a little as she watched them.

A prompt answer came to her letter. Teddy's uncle wrote that he had six
children of his own, but was nevertheless willing and glad to give his
little nephew a home. But he could not come after him. Josiah Spencer,
of White Sands, was going out to Manitoba in the spring. If Mr. and Mrs.
Sloane could only keep the baby till then he could be sent out with the
Spencers. Perhaps they would see a chance sooner.

"There'll be no chance sooner," said Pa Sloane in a tone of
satisfaction.

"No, worse luck!" retorted Ma crisply.

The winter passed by. Little Teddy grew and throve, and Pa Sloane
worshipped him. Ma was very good to him, too, and Teddy was just as fond
of her as of Pa.

Nevertheless, as the spring drew near, Pa became depressed. Sometimes he
sighed heavily, especially when he heard casual references to the Josiah
Spencer emigration.

One warm afternoon in early May Josiah Spencer arrived. He found Ma
knitting placidly in the kitchen, while Pa nodded over his newspaper and
the baby played with the cat on the floor.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Sloane," said Josiah with a flourish. "I just
dropped in to see about this young man here. We are going to leave next
Wednesday; so you'd better send him down to our place Monday or Tuesday,
so that he can get used to us, and--"

"Oh, Ma," began Pa, rising imploringly to his feet.

Ma transfixed him with her eye.

"Sit down, Pa," she commanded.

댓글 없음: