2014년 9월 3일 수요일

Insect Adventures 5

Insect Adventures 5


Soon the grubs get hungry for green food, and then the ruin of the
cabbages commences. What appetites they have! I served up to a herd
of these Caterpillars which I had in my laboratory a bunch of leaves
picked from among the biggest cabbages: two hours later nothing was
left but the thick middle veins. At this rate the cabbage bed will not
last long.

The gluttonous Caterpillars do nothing at all but eat, unless we except
a curious motion they sometimes indulge in. When several Caterpillars
are grazing side by side, you sometimes see all the heads in the row
briskly lifted and as briskly lowered, time after time, all together
and as accurately as if they were Prussian soldiers drilling. I do
not know whether this is their way of showing that they would fight,
if necessary, or a sign of pleasure in the eating and the warm sun.
Anyhow, it is the only exercise they take until they are full-grown and
fat.

After a whole month of grazing, the Caterpillars at last have enough.
They begin to climb in every direction. They walk about anyhow, with
the front part of their bodies raised and searching space. It is now
the beginning of cold weather, and my Caterpillar guests are in a small
greenhouse. I leave the door of the house open. Soon the whole crowd
have disappeared.

I find them scattered all over the neighboring walls, some thirty yards
off. They are under ledges and eaves, which will serve them as shelters
through the winter. The Cabbage-caterpillar is hardy and does not mind
the cold.

In these shelters they weave themselves hammock cocoons and turn into
chrysales, from which next spring the Moths will come.

[Illustration]

We may be interested in the story of the Cabbage-caterpillar, but
we know that there would be not enough cabbages for us if he were
allowed full sway. So we are not ill-pleased to hear that there is
still another insect who preys upon him and keeps him from being too
numerous. If the Cabbage-caterpillar is our enemy, this insect is our
friend. Yet she is so small, she works so discreetly, that the gardener
does not know her, has not even heard of her. If he were to see her by
accident, flitting around the plant which she protects, he would take
no notice of her, would not dream of the help she is giving him. I am
going to give the tiny midget her deserts.

[Illustration]

Scientists call her by a name as long as she is tiny. Part of the name
is Microgaster. It is what I shall have to call her, for she has no
other that I know of. You must blame the wise scientists who named her
that, and not me.

How does she work? Well, we shall see. In the spring, let us look about
our kitchen-gardens. We can hardly help noticing against the walls
or on the withered grasses at the foot of the hedges some very small
yellow cocoons, heaped into masses the size of a hazel-nut. Beside each
group lies a Cabbage-caterpillar, sometimes dead and always looking
very tattered. These cocoons are the work of the Microgaster’s family,
hatched or on the point of hatching; they have been feeding on the poor
Caterpillar.

The little Microgaster or Midge is about the size of a Gnat. When the
Caterpillar-moth lays her orange eggs on the cabbage leaves, the Midge
hastens up and with a slender, horny prickle she possesses, lays her
egg _inside_ the film of the Moth’s egg. Often many Midges lay their
little eggs in the same Moth’s egg. Judging by the cocoons, there are
sometimes as many as sixty-five Midges to one Caterpillar.

As the Caterpillar grows up, it does not seem to suffer; it feeds on
the cabbage leaves and, when that is done, makes its pilgrimage as
usual to find the place where it will weave its cocoon. It even begins
this work; but it is listless, it has no strength; it grows thin and
dies. No wonder, with a host of worms of the little Microgaster in its
body, drinking its blood! The Caterpillar has obligingly lived till
just the time when the Microgaster’s worms are ready to come out. They
do so, and begin to weave their cocoons, where they turn into Midges
with the long name.




[Illustration]

CHAPTER XV

THE GREAT PEACOCK MOTH


It was an evening long to be remembered, when the Great Peacock Moths
came to my house. This Moth is magnificent, the largest in Europe, clad
in maroon velvet, with a necktie of white fur. The wings are sprinkled
with gray and brown, crossed by a faint zigzag and edged with smoky
white, and they have in the center a round patch, a great eye with a
black pupil and a many-colored iris containing black, white, chestnut,
and purple arcs. The Moth is hatched from a Caterpillar also remarkable
in appearance, being yellow with beads of turquoise-blue. It feeds on
almond leaves.

Well, on the morning of the sixth of May, a female Great Peacock
Moth came out of her cocoon in my presence, on the table of my
insect-laboratory. I at once caged her under a wire-gauze bell-jar. I
did not think much about the matter. I kept her on general principles,
for I am always on the lookout for something to happen.

I was glad afterwards that I had done so. At nine o’clock in the
evening, just as the household is going to bed, there is a great stir
in the room next to mine. Little Paul, half-undressed, is rushing
about, jumping and stamping, knocking the chairs over like a mad thing.
I hear him call me:

“Come, quick!” he screams. “Come and see these Moths, big as birds! The
room is full of them!”

I hurry in. The child has not exaggerated very much. The room is full
of giant Moths. Four are already caught and lodged in a bird-cage. Many
others are fluttering on the ceiling.

At this sight, I remember my prisoner of the morning.

“Put on your things, laddie,” I say to my son. “Leave your cage and
come with me. We shall see something interesting.”

We run downstairs to go to my study, which is in the right wing of the
house. In the kitchen I find the servant, who is also bewildered by
what is happening and stands flicking her apron at great Moths whom
she took at first for Bats. It seems that the Great Peacock has taken
possession of pretty nearly every part of the house.

We enter my study, candle in hand. One of the windows had been left
open, and what we see is unforgetable. With a soft flick-flack the
great Moths fly around the bell-jar, alight, set off again, come back,
fly up to the ceiling and down. They rush at the candle, putting it out
with a stroke of their wings; they descend on our shoulders, clinging
to our clothes, grazing our faces. The scene suggests a wizard’s cave,
with its whirl of Bats. Little Paul holds my hand tighter than usual,
to keep up his courage.

How many are there? About twenty in this room. Add to these the number
who have strayed into the other parts of the house, and the total
cannot be much short of forty. Forty lovers, who have come to pay their
respects to the bride born that morning—the princess imprisoned in her
tower!

Every night that week the Moths come to court their princess. It is
stormy weather, so dark one can hardly see one’s hand before one’s
face. Our house is difficult for them to reach. It is hidden by tall
plane-trees, pines, and cypresses; clusters of bushy shrubs make a
rampart a few steps away from the door. It is through this tangle, in
complete darkness, that the Great Peacock has to tack about to reach
his lady.

Under such conditions the Brown Owl would not dare leave the hole in
his tree. Yet the Moth goes forward without hesitating and passes
through without knocking against things. He steers his way so
skillfully that he arrives in a state of perfect freshness, with his
big wings unharmed, with not a scratch upon him. The darkness is light
enough for him.

With a view to his wedding, the one and only object of his life, the
Great Peacock is gifted with a wonderful talent. He is able to discover
the object of his desire in spite of distance, obstacles, and darkness.
For two or three evenings he is allowed a few hours to find his mate.
If he cannot find her, all is over. He dies.

The Great Peacock knows nothing of eating. While so many other Moths,
jolly companions one and all, flit from flower to flower, dipping into
the honeyed cups, he never thinks of refreshment. No wonder he does not
live long. Two or three evenings, just time enough to allow the couple
to meet, and that is all; the big Moth has lived.




[Illustration]

CHAPTER XVI

THE TRUFFLE-HUNTING BEETLE


Before we come to the Beetle, I must first tell you about my friend,
the Dog, who hunts truffles, which are underground mushrooms. Dogs are
quite often used for this purpose, and I have had the good fortune on
several occasions to go with a Dog who was a great expert in this line.
He was certainly nothing to look at, this artist whom I was so anxious
to see at work: just a Dog, placid and deliberate in his ways, ugly,
unkempt; the sort of Dog you would never have at your own fireside.
Talent and poverty often go hand in hand.

His master, a celebrated truffle-gatherer in the village, was at first
afraid that I wanted to steal his secrets and set up a rival business,
but when he found that I only made drawings of mushrooms and set down
lists of underground vegetable things, he let me join his expeditions.

It was agreed between us that the Dog should act as he pleased and
receive a bit of bread as his reward after each discovery, no matter
whether the underground mushroom he discovered was a real truffle, the
kind people like to eat, or an uneatable one. In no case was the master
to drive the dog away from a spot where experience told him there was
nothing salable to be found. As far as my studies went, I did not care
whether the mushrooms were edible or not.

Conducted in this way, the expedition was very successful. The busy
Dog trotted along with his nose to the wind, at a moderate pace. Every
little while he stopped, questioned the ground with his nostrils,
scratched for a few seconds, without too much excitement, then looked
up at his master as if to say:

“Here we are, here we are! On my word of honor as a Dog, there’s a
truffle here.”

And he spoke the truth. The master dug at the spot indicated. If the
trowel went astray, the Dog showed the man how to put it right by
sniffing at the bottom of the hole. The mushroom was always there. A
Dog’s nose cannot lie. But he made us gather all sorts of underground
mushrooms: the large and the small, the fresh and the decayed, the
scented and the unscented, the fragrant and those which were the
reverse. I was surprised at my collection, which included most of the
underground fungi of the neighborhood.

Is it smell as we understand it that guides the Dog in his search? I
do not believe that it is, otherwise he would not point out so many
varieties which smell so very different. He must perceive something
that we cannot. It is a mistake to compare everything by human
standards. There are more sensations in the world than we know of. Such
secrets are known to insects better than to other animals, like the Dog
or the Pig, who also hunts truffles with its nose. We will hear now
about the Truffle-hunting Beetle.

[Illustration]

This is a pretty little black Beetle, with a pale and velvety belly,
round as a cherry-stone and much the same size. By rubbing the tip of
its abdomen against the edge of its wing-cases it makes a soft chirrup
like that which little birds make when their mother comes with their
food. The male wears a graceful horn on his head.

I found these Beetles in a certain pine-woods where there are plenty
of mushrooms. It is a pleasant place, where my whole family like to go
in the mild days of autumn. They find everything there: old Magpies’
nests, made of bundles of twigs; Jays squabbling with each other, after
filling their crops with acorns on the oaks hard by; Rabbits suddenly
starting out of a rosemary bush, showing their little white upturned
tails. There is lovely sand for the children to dig tunnels in, sand
that is easy to build into rows of huts which we thatch with moss and
top with a bit of reed by way of a chimney. And when we are there we
lunch off an apple to the sound of the Æolian harps of the breezes
softly sighing through the pine-needles!

Yes, for the children it is a real paradise. The grown-ups also enjoy
it, and one of my chief enjoyments is watching my Truffle-beetle.
His burrows may be seen here and there. The door is left open and
surrounded merely by a padding of sand. The burrow is about nine inches
deep, going straight down in very loose soil. When I cut into it with
a knife, I often find that it is empty. The insect has left during the
night, having finished its business there and gone to settle elsewhere.
The Truffle-beetle is a tramp, a night-walker, who leaves his home
whenever he feels like it and easily gets a new one. Sometimes I do
find the insect at the bottom of the pit, always alone, sometimes a
male, sometimes a female, never two at the same time. The burrow is not
a house for the family; it is a sort of bachelor house, dug for comfort
only for the solitary Beetle.

The Beetle in this house is clutching a small mushroom, usually partly
eaten. He will not part from it. It is his treasure, his worldly goods.
Scattered crumbs tell us that we have caught him feasting.

When we take his prize away from him we find that it is a sort of
little underground mushroom, closely related to the truffle.

This throws a light upon the habits of the Beetle and his reason for
making new burrows so often. In the calm of the twilight, the little
gadabout takes to the fields, chirruping softly as he goes, cheering
himself with song. He explores the soil, questions it as to its
contents, just as the Dog does when hunting for truffles. His sense of
smell tells him when the coveted morsel is underneath, covered by a few
inches of sand. Certain of the exact spot where the thing lies, he digs
straight down and never fails to reach it. As long as the provisions
last, he does not go out again. Blissfully he feeds at the bottom of
the well he has dug to reach the mushroom. He does not care whether his
door is open or not.

When he has eaten all his food, he moves, looking for more, and to
find it he digs a new burrow, which will be given up in its turn. Thus
he spends all autumn and the next spring, the seasons for mushrooms,
traveling from one of his little hotels to another.

This truffle which the Beetle hunts appears to have no particular odor.
How, then, can he detect it from the ground over the place where it
is buried? He is a clever Beetle, and we do not know yet just how he
manages it.




[Illustration]

CHAPTER XVII

THE BOY WHO LOVED INSECTS


Nowadays, people lay everything to heredity; that is, they say that
human beings and animals both receive their special talents from
their ancestors, who have perhaps been developing them through many
generations. I do not altogether agree with this theory. I am going to
tell you my own story to show that I did not inherit my passion for
insects from any of my ancestors.

Neither my grandfather nor my grandmother on my mother’s side cared in
the least about insects. I did not know my grandfather, but I know that
he had a hard time making a living, and I am sure the only attention
he paid to an insect, if he met it, was to crush it under his foot.
Grandmother, who could not even read, certainly cared nothing about
science or insects. If, sometimes, when rinsing her salad at the tap,
she found a Caterpillar on the lettuce leaves, with a start of fright
she would fling the loathsome thing away.

My other grandparents, my father’s father and mother, I knew well.
Indeed, I went to live with them when I was five or six years old,
because my father and mother were too poor to take care of me. These
grandparents lived on a poverty-stricken farm away out in the country.
They did not know how to read; they had never opened a book in their
lives. Grandfather knew a great deal about cows and sheep, but nothing
about anything else. How dumfounded he would have been to learn that,
in the distant future, one of his family would spend his time studying
insignificant insects! If he had guessed that that lunatic was myself,
seated at the table by his side, what a smack I should have caught in
the neck!

“The idea of wasting one’s time with that nonsense!” he would have
thundered.

Grandmother, dear soul, was too busy with washing the clothes, minding
the children, seeing to the meals of the household, spinning, attending
to the chickens, curds and whey, butter, and pickles, to think of
anything else. Sometimes, in the evenings, she used to tell us stories,
as we sat around the fire, about the Wolf who lived on the moors. I
should have very much liked to see this Wolf, the hero of so many tales
that made our flesh creep, but I never did. I owe a great deal to you,
dear grandmother; it was in your lap that I found consolation for my
first sorrows. You have handed down to me, perhaps, a little of your
physical vigor, a little of your love for work; but certainly you did
not give me my love for insects.

Nor did either of my own parents. My mother was quite illiterate; my
father had been to school as a child, he knew how to read and write a
little, but he was too busy making a living to have room for any other
cares. A good cuff or two when he saw me pinning an insect to a cork
was all the encouragement I received from him.

And yet I began to observe, to inquire into things, when I was still
almost a baby. My first memories of this tendency will amuse you. One
day when I was five or six years old I was standing on the moor in
front of our farm, clad in a soiled frieze frock flapping against my
bare heels: I remember the handkerchief hanging from my waist by a bit
of string,—a handkerchief, I am sorry to say, often lost and replaced
by the back of my sleeve.

My face was turned toward the sun. The dazzling splendor fascinated me.
No Moth was ever more attracted by the light of the lamp. As I stood
there, I was asking myself a question. With what was I enjoying the
glorious radiance, with my mouth or my eyes? Reader, do not smile: this
was true scientific curiosity. I opened my mouth wide and closed my
eyes: the glory disappeared. I opened my eyes and shut my mouth: the
glory reappeared. I repeated the performance, with the same result. The
question was solved: I had learned by deduction that I see the sun with
my eyes. Oh, what a discovery! That evening, I told the whole house
about it. Grandmother smiled lovingly at my simplicity: the others
laughed at it.

[Illustration]

Another find. At nightfall, amidst the neighboring bushes, a sort of
jingle attracted my attention, sounding very faintly and softly through
the evening silence. Who is making that noise? Is it a little Bird
chirping in his nest? We must look into the matter and that quickly.
True, there is a Wolf, who comes out of the woods at this time, so they
tell me. Let’s go all the same, but not too far: just there, behind
that clump of gloom.

I stand on the lookout for long, but all in vain. At the faintest sound
of movement in the brushwood, the jingle ceases. I try again next day
and the day after. This time, my stubborn watch succeeds. Whoosh! A
grab of my hand and I hold the singer. It is not a Bird; it is a kind
of Grasshopper whose hind-legs my playfellows have taught me to like;
a poor reward for my long hiding. The best part of the business is not
the two haunches with the shrimpy flavor, but what I have just learned.
I now know, from personal observation, that the Grasshopper sings. I
did not tell of my discovery, for fear of the same laughter that had
greeted my story about the sun.

Oh, what pretty flowers, in a field close to the house! They seem to
smile at me with their great violet eyes. Later on, I see, in their
place, bunches of big red cherries. I taste them. They are not nice
and they have no stones. What can those cherries be? At the end of the
summer, grandfather comes with a spade and turns my field topsy-turvy.
From underground there comes, by the basketful and sackful, a sort of
round root. I know that root; it abounds in the house; time after time
I have cooked it in the peat-stove. It is the potato. Its violet flower
and its red fruit are pigeonholed for good and all in my memory.

With an ever-watchful eye for animals and plants, the future observer,
the little six-year-old monkey, practiced by himself, all unawares.
He went to the flower, he went to the insect, even as the Large White
Butterfly goes to the cabbage and the Red Admiral to the thistle. He
looked and inquired, drawn by a curiosity whereof heredity did not know
the secret.

A little later on I am back in the village, in my father’s house. I am
now seven years old; and it is high time that I went to school. Nothing
could have turned out better; the master is my godfather. What shall I
call the room in which I was to become acquainted with the alphabet?
It would be difficult to find the exact word, because the room served
for every purpose. It was at once a school, a kitchen, a bedroom, a
dining-room and, at times, a chicken-house and a piggery. Palatial
schools were not dreamed of in those days; any wretched hovel was
thought good enough.

A broad fixed ladder led to the floor above. Under the ladder stood a
big bed in a boarded recess. What was there upstairs? I never quite
knew. I would see the master sometimes bring down an armful of hay for
the Ass, sometimes a basket of potatoes which the housewife emptied
into the pot in which the little porkers’ food was cooked. It must have
been a sort of loft, a storehouse of provisions for man and beast.
Those two rooms were all there were in the whole dwelling.

[Illustration: “The fire was not exactly lit for us.”]

To return to the lower one, the schoolroom: a window faces south, the
only window in the house, a low, narrow window whose frame you can
touch at the same time with your head and both your shoulders. This
sunny opening is the only lively spot in the dwelling; it overlooks
the greater part of the village, which straggles along the slopes of a
slanting valley. In the window-recess is the master’s little table.

The opposite wall contains a niche in which stands a gleaming copper
pail full of water. Here the parched children can relieve their thirst
when they please, with a cup left within their reach. At the top of
the niche are a few shelves bright with pewter plates, dishes, and
drinking-vessels, which are taken down from their sanctuary on great
occasions only.

More or less everywhere, at any spot which the light touches, are
crudely colored pictures pasted on the walls. Against the far wall
stands the large fireplace. In the middle is the hearth, but, on the
right and left, are two breast-high recesses, half wood and half stone.
Each of them is a bed, with a mattress stuffed with chaff of winnowed
corn. Two sliding planks serve as shutters and close the chest if the
sleeper would be alone. These beds are used by the favored ones of the
house, the two boarders. They must lie snug in there at night, with
their shutters closed, when the north wind howls at the mouth of the
dark valley and sends the snow awhirl. The rest is occupied by the
hearth and its accessories: the three-legged stools; the salt-box,
hanging against the wall to keep its contents dry; the heavy shovel
which it takes two hands to wield; lastly, the bellows like those with
which I used to blow out my cheeks in grandfather’s house. They are
made of a mighty branch of pine, hollowed throughout its length with a
red-hot iron. One blows through this channel. With a couple of stones
for supports, the master’s bundle of sticks and our own logs blaze and
flicker, each of us having to bring a log of wood in the morning, if he
would share in the treat.

For that matter, the fire was not exactly lit for us, but, above
all, to warm a row of three pots in which simmered the Pigs’ food, a
mixture of potatoes and bran. That, in spite of our each giving a log,
was the real object of the brushwood-fire. The two boarders, on their
stools, in the best places, and we others sitting on our heels, formed
a semicircle around those big kettles, full to the brim and giving
off little jets of steam, with puff-puff-puffing sounds. The bolder
among us, when the master was not looking, would dig a knife into a
well-cooked potato and add it to their bit of bread; for I must say
that, if we did little work in my school, at least we did a deal of
eating. It was the regular custom to crack a few nuts and nibble at a
crust while writing our page or setting out our rows of figures.

[Illustration]

We, the smaller ones, in addition to the comfort of studying with our
mouths full, had every now and then two other delights, which were
quite as good as cracking nuts. The back-door gave upon the yard where
the Hen, surrounded by her brood of Chicks, scratched, while the little
Pigs, of whom there were a dozen, wallowed in their stone trough. This
door would open sometimes to let one of us out, a privilege which we
abused, for the sly ones among us were careful not to close it on
returning. Forthwith, the porkers would come running in, one after the
other, attracted by the smell of the boiled potatoes. My bench, the
one where the youngsters sat, stood against the wall, under the copper
pail, and was right in the way of the Pigs. Up they came trotting and
grunting, curling their little tails; they rubbed against our legs;
they poked their cold pink snouts into our hands in search of a scrap
of crust; they questioned us with their sharp little eyes to learn if
we happened to have a dry chestnut for them in our pockets. When they
had gone the round, some this way and some that, they went back to the
farmyard, driven away by a friendly flick of the master’s handkerchief.

Next came the visit of the Hen, bringing her velvet-coated Chicks
to see us. All of us eagerly crumbled a little bread for our pretty
visitors. We vied with one another in calling them to us and tickling
with our fingers their soft and downy backs.

What could we learn in such a school as that! Each of the younger
pupils had, or rather was supposed to have, in his hands a little penny
book, the alphabet, printed on gray paper. It began, on the cover, with
a Pigeon, or something like it. Next came a cross, with the letters in
their order. But, if the little book was to be of any use, the master
should have shown us something about it. For this, the worthy man, too
much taken up with the big ones, had not the time. He gave us the book
only to make us look like scholars. We were to study it on our bench,
to decipher it with the help of our next neighbor, in case he might
know one or two of the letters. Our studying came to nothing, being
every moment disturbed by a visit to the potatoes in the stew-pots, a
quarrel among playmates about a marble, the grunting invasion of the
little Pigs or the arrival of the Chicks.

The big ones used to write. They had the benefit of the small amount
of light in the room, by the narrow window, and of the large and only
table with its circle of seats. The school supplied nothing, not even
a drop of ink; every one had to come with a full set of utensils. The
inkhorn of those days was a long cardboard box divided into two parts.
The upper compartment held the pens, made of goose- or turkey-quill
trimmed with a penknife; the lower contained, in a tiny well, ink made
of soot mixed with vinegar.

The master’s great business was to mend the pens—and then to trace
at the head of the white page a line of strokes, single letters, or
words, according to the scholar’s capabilities. When that is over keep
an eye on the work of art which is coming to adorn the copy! With what
undulating movements of the wrist does the master’s hand, resting on
the little finger, prepare and plan its flight! All at once the hand
starts off, flies, whirls; and lo and behold, under the line of writing
is unfurled a garland of circles, spirals, and flourishes, framing a
bird with outspread wings, the whole, if you please, in red ink, the
only kind worthy of such a pen. Large and small, we stood awestruck in
the presence of these marvels.

What was read at my school? At most, in French, a few selections
from sacred history. Latin came oftener, to teach us to sing vespers
properly.

And history, geography? No one ever heard of them. What difference did
it make to us whether the earth was round or square! In either case, it
was just as hard to make it bring forth anything.

And grammar? The master troubled his head very little about that; and
we still less. And arithmetic? Yes, we did a little of this, but not
under that learned name. We called it sums. On Saturday evening, to
finish up the week, there was a general orgy of sums. The top boys
stood up and, in a loud voice, recited the multiplication table up to
twelve times. When this recital was over, the whole class, the little
ones included, took it up in chorus, creating such an uproar that
Chicks and porkers took to flight if they happened to be there.

When all is said, our master was an excellent man who could have kept
school very well but for his lack of one thing; and that was time. He
managed the property of an absentee landlord. He had under his care an
old castle with four towers, which had become so many pigeon-houses;
he directed the getting-in of the hay, the walnuts, the apples and the
oats. We used to help him during the summer. Lessons at that time were
less dull. They were often given on the hay or on the straw; oftener
still, lesson-time was spent in cleaning out the dove-cot or stamping
on the Snails that had sallied in rainy weather from their fortresses,
the tall box borders of the garden belonging to the castle.

Our master was a barber. With his light hand, which was so clever at
beautifying our copies with curlicue birds, he shaved the notabilities
of the place: the mayor, the parish-priest, the notary. Our master was
a bell-ringer. A wedding or a christening interrupted the lessons; he
had to ring a peal. A gathering storm gave us a holiday; the great bell
must be tolled to ward off the lightning and the hail. Our master was a
choir-singer. Our master wound up and regulated the village-clock. This
was his proudest duty. Giving a glance at the sun, to tell the time
more or less nearly, he would climb to the top of the steeple, open a
huge cage of rafters and find himself in a maze of wheels and springs
whereof the secret was known to him alone.

With such a school and such a master and such examples, what will
become of my natural tastes, as yet so undeveloped? In those
surroundings, they seem bound to perish, stifled forever. Yet no,
the germ has life; it works in my veins, never to leave them again.
It finds food everywhere, down to the cover of my penny alphabet,
beautified with a crude picture of a Pigeon which I study much more
eagerly than the A B C. Its round eye, with its circlet of dots, seems
to smile upon me. Its wing, of which I count the feathers one by one,
tells me of flights on high, among the beautiful clouds; it carries me
to the beeches raising their smooth trunks above a mossy carpet studded
with white mushrooms that look like eggs, dropped by some wandering
hen; it takes me to the snow-clad peaks where the birds leave the
starry print of their red feet. He is a fine fellow, my Pigeon-friend;
he consoles me for the woes hidden behind the cover of my book. Thanks
to him, I sit quietly on my bench and wait more or less till school is
over.

School out-of-doors has other charms. When the master takes us to kill
the Snails in the box borders, I do not always do so. My heel sometimes
hesitates before coming down upon the handful which I have gathered.
They are so pretty! Just think, there are yellow ones and pink, white
ones and brown, all with dark spiral streaks. I fill my pockets with
the handsomest, so as to feast my eyes on them at my leisure.

[Illustration]

On hay-making days in the master’s field, I strike up an acquaintance
with the Frog. Flayed and stuck at the end of a split stick, he serves
as bait to tempt the Crayfish to come out of his retreat by the
brook-side. On the alder-trees I catch the Hoplia, the splendid Beetle
who pales the azure of the heavens. I pick the narcissus and learn to
gather, with the tip of my tongue, the tiny drop of honey that lies
right at the bottom of the cleft corolla. I also learn that too-long
indulgence in this feast brings a headache; but this discomfort in no
way impairs my admiration for the glorious white flower, which wears a
narrow red collar at the throat of its funnel.

When we go to beat the walnut-trees, the barren grass-plots provide
me with Locusts spreading their wings, some into a blue fan, others
into a red. And thus the country school, even in the heart of winter,
furnished continuous food for my interest in things. My passion for
animals and plants made progress of itself.

What did not make progress was my acquaintance with my letters,
greatly neglected in favor of the Pigeon. I was still at the same
stage, hopelessly behindhand with the alphabet, when my father, by a
chance inspiration, brought me home from the town what was to give me
a start along the road of reading. It was a large print, price three
cents, colored and divided into compartments in which animals of all
sorts taught the A B C by means of the first letters of their names.
You began with the sacred beast, the Donkey, whose name, _Ane_, with
a big initial, taught me the letter A. The _Bœuf_, the Ox, stood for
B; the _Canard_, the Duck, told me about C; the _Dindon_, the Turkey,
gave me the letter D. And so on with the rest. A few compartments, it
is true, were lacking in clearness. I had no friendly feeling for the
Hippopotamus, the Kamichi, or Horned Screamer, and the Zebu, who aimed
at making me say H, K, and Z. No matter; father came to my aid in hard
cases; and I made such rapid progress that, in a few days, I was able
to turn in good earnest the pages of my little Pigeon-book, hitherto
so undecipherable. I was initiated; I knew how to spell. My parents
marveled. I can explain this unexpected progress to-day. Those speaking
pictures, which brought me amongst my friends the beasts, were in
harmony with my tastes. I have the animals to thank for teaching me to
read. Animals forever!

Luck favored me a second time. As a reward for learning to read, I
was given La Fontaine’s Fables, in a popular, cheap edition, crammed
with pictures, small, I admit, and very inaccurate, but still
delightful. Here were the Crow, the Fox, the Wolf, the Magpie, the
Frog, the Rabbit, the Donkey, the Dog, the Cat; all persons of my
acquaintance. The glorious book was immensely to my taste, with its
skimpy illustrations in which the animals walked and talked. As to
understanding what it said, that was another story! Never mind, my lad!
Put together syllables that say nothing to you as yet; they will speak
to you later and La Fontaine will always remain your friend.

I come to the time when I was ten years old and at Rodez College. I was
well thought of in the school, for I cut a good figure in composition
and translation. In that classical atmosphere, there was talk of
Procas, King of Alba, and of his two sons, Numitor and Amulius. We
heard of Cynœgirus, the strong-jawed man, who, having lost his two
hands in battle, seized and held a Persian galley with his teeth, and
of Cadmus the Phœnician, who sowed a dragon’s teeth as though they were
beans and gathered his harvest in the shape of a host of armed men, who
killed one another as they rose up from the ground. The only one who
survived the slaughter was one as tough as leather, presumably the son
of the big back grinder-tooth.

Had they talked to me about the man in the moon, I could not have been
more startled. I made up for it with my animals. While admiring Cadmus
and Cynœgirus, I hardly ever failed, on Sundays and Thursdays, to go
and see if the cowslip or the yellow daffodil was making its appearance
in the meadows, if the Linnet was hatching on the juniper-bushes, if
the Cockchafers were plopping down from the wind-shaken poplars.

By easy stages I came to Virgil and was very much smitten with
Melibœus, Corydon, Menalcas, Damœtas and the rest of them. Within the
frame in which the characters moved were exquisite details concerning
the Bee, the Cicada, the Turtle-dove, the Crow, the Nanny-goat, and the
golden broom. A real delight were these stories of the fields, sung
in sonorous verse; and the Latin poet left a lasting impression on my
classical recollections.

Then, suddenly, good-by to my studies, good-by to Tityrus and Menalcas.
Ill-luck is swooping down on us, relentlessly. Hunger threatens us at
home. And now, boy, put your trust in God; run about and earn your
penn’orth of potatoes as best you can. Life is about to become a
hideous inferno. Let us pass quickly over this phase.

[Illustration]

During this sad time, my love for the insects ought to have gone under.
Not at all. I still remember a certain Pine Cockchafer met for the
first time. The plumes on her antennæ, her pretty pattern of white
spots on a dark-brown ground, were as a ray of sunshine in the gloomy
wretchedness of the day.

To cut a long story short: good fortune, which never abandons the
brave, brought me to the primary normal school at Vaucluse, where I
was certain of food: dried chestnuts and chick-peas. The principal, a
man of broad views, soon came to trust his new assistant. He left me
practically a free hand so long as I satisfied the school curriculum,
which was very modest in those days. I was a little ahead of my
fellow-pupils. I took advantage of this to get some order into my vague
knowledge of plants and animals. While a dictation lesson was being
corrected around me, I would examine, in the recesses of my desk, the
oleander’s fruit, the snap-dragon’s seed-vessel, the Wasp’s sting and
the Ground-beetle’s wing-case.

With this foretaste of natural science, picked up haphazard and
secretly, I left school more deeply in love than ever with insects and
flowers. And yet I had to give it all up. Natural history could not
bring me anywhere. The schoolmasters of the time despised it; Latin,
Greek, and mathematics were the subjects to study.

So I flung myself with might and main into higher mathematics: a hard
battle, if ever there was one, without teachers, face to face for days
on end with abstruse problems. Next I studied the physical sciences
in the same manner, with an impossible laboratory, the work of my own
hands. I went against my feelings: I buried my natural-history books at
the bottom of my trunk.

And so, in the end, I am sent to teach physics and chemistry at Ajaccio
College. This time, the temptation is too much for me. The sea, with
its wonders, the beach, covered with beautiful shells, the myrtles,
arbutus, and other trees; all this paradise of gorgeous nature is more
attractive than geometry and trigonometry. I give up. I divide my spare
time into two parts. The larger part is devoted to mathematics, by
which I expect to make my way in the world; the other is spent, with
much misgiving, in botanizing and looking for the treasures of the sea.

We never know what will happen to us. Mathematics, on which I spent so
much time in my youth, has been of hardly any good to me; and animals,
which I avoided as much as ever I could, are the consolation of my old
age.

I met two famous scientists in Ajaccio: Requien, a well-known botanist,
and Moquin-Tandom, who gave me my first lesson in natural history. He
stayed at my house, as the hotel was full. The day before he left he
said to me:

“You interest yourself in shells. That is something, but it is not
enough. You must look into the animal itself. I will show you how it’s
done.”

He took a sharp pair of scissors from the family work-basket and a
couple of needles, and showed me the anatomy of a snail in a soup-plate
filled with water. Gradually he explained and sketched the organs which
he spread before my eyes. This was the only, the never-to-be-forgotten
lesson in natural history that I ever received in my life.

It is time to finish this story about myself. It shows that from early
childhood I have felt drawn towards the things of nature. I have the
gift of observation. Why and how? I do not know.

We have all of us, men and animals, some special gift. One child takes
to music, another is always modeling things out of clay; another is
quick at figures. It is the same way with insects. One kind of Bee can
cut leaves; another builds clay houses, Spiders know how to make webs.
These gifts exist because they exist, and that is all any one can say.
In human beings, we call the special gift genius. In an insect, we call
it instinct. Instinct is the animal’s genius.

CHAPTER XVIII

THE BANDED SPIDER


In the disagreeable season of the year, when the insect has nothing to
do and retires to winter quarters, an observer who looks in the sunny
nooks, grubs in the sand, lifts the stones, or searches the brushwood,
will often find something very interesting, a real work of art. Happy
are they who can appreciate such treasures! I wish them all the joys
they have brought me and will continue to bring me, in spite of the
vexations of life, which grow ever more bitter as the years follow
their swift downward course.

Should the seekers rummage among the wild grasses in the willow-beds
and thickets, I wish them the delight of finding the wonderful object
that, at this moment, lies before my eyes. It is the work of a Spider,
the nest of the Banded Spider.

In bearing and coloring, this Spider is among the handsomest that I
know. On her fat body, nearly as large as a hazel-nut, are alternate
yellow, black, and silver sashes, to which she owes her name of Banded.
Her eight long legs, with their dark-brown and pale-brown rings,
surround her body like the spokes of a wheel.

Any small prey suits her; and, as long as she can find supports for her
web, she settles wherever the Locust hops, wherever the Fly hovers,
wherever the Dragon-fly dances or the Butterfly flits. Usually, because
of the greater abundance of game there, she spreads her web across
some brooklet, from bank to bank, among the rushes. She also stretches
it sometimes in the thickets of evergreen oak, on the slopes with the
scrubby grass, dear to Grasshoppers.

Her hunting-weapon is a large upright web, whose outer boundary is
fastened to the neighboring branches by a number of moorings. Her
web is like that of the other weaving Spiders. Straight threads
run out like spokes of a wheel from a central point. Over these
runs a continuous spiral thread, forming chords, or cross-bars,
from the center to the circumference. It is magnificently large and
magnificently symmetrical.

In the lower part of the web, starting from the center, a thick wide
ribbon descends zigzag-wise across the spokes. This is the Spider’s
trademark, the way she signs her work of art. Also, the strong silk
zigzag gives greater firmness to the web.

댓글 없음: