2015년 8월 6일 목요일

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 10

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 10


DAVID.
 
Beauty is withering. Everything is dying, Sarah.
 
SARAH.
 
But the lily also withers, and the narcissus dies, the petals of the
yellow rose fall apart--would you, David, trample all flowers under
foot and heap abuse upon the yellow rose? Do not doubt, David,--the
God of righteousness has given you riches--will you who were so firm in
misfortune that you did not blaspheme God even once--will you grow weak
in your happiness?
 
ANATHEMA.
 
You are perfectly right, madam Leizer. Rosa has so many suitors that
all she needs is to choose.
 
DAVID.
 
_Rising angrily._
 
I will not give Rosa to any of them.
 
SARAH.
 
Why not, David?
 
DAVID.
 
I will not give Rosa to any of them. They are like dogs that want to
eat out of the golden bowl--I will drive the dogs away.
 
_Enter Rosa. She is dressed richly, but simply. She
is somewhat pale and fatigued, but very beautiful.
She tries to speak and to move gracefully, but at
times she forgets herself and becomes rude and
vociferous. She feds tormented by this. Rosa is
accompanied by two horsemen. The older man is very
pale and he frowns angrily. Naum clings to Rosa, as
though seeking protection in her youth, strength,
and beauty, and he walks faintly after her._
 
DAVID.
 
_In a rather loud voice._
 
Sarah, here are the suitors.
 
SARAH.
 
_Waving her hand._
 
Oh, be silent, David.
 
ROSA.
 
_Kissing her mother carelessly._
 
How tired I am, mamma. Good afternoon, father.
 
SARAH.
 
Take care of yourself, Rosochka; you mustn't study so much.
 
_To the older of the two cavaliers._
 
Please tell her that she mustn't work so hard--what does she need to
work for now?
 
YOUNG RIDER.
 
_In a low voice._
 
People should pray before your daughter, madam Leizer. Soon a temple
will be erected in her honor.
 
OLDER RIDER.
 
_Smiling._
 
And near the temple, a cemetery. Madam Leizer, there are always
cemeteries near the temples.
 
ROSA.
 
Good-by. I am tired. If you are disengaged, come in to-morrow
morning--I may go out with you again.
 
OLDER RIDER.
 
_Shrugging his shoulders._
 
Disengaged? Oh, yes, of course, we are entirely free.
 
_Harshly._
 
Good-by.
 
YOUNG RIDER.
 
_With a sigh._
 
Good-by.
 
_They go out._
 
SARAH.
 
_Uneasily._
 
Rosochka, I think you have offended him. Why did you do it?
 
ROSA.
 
That doesn't matter, mamma.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_To David._
 
These are not suitors, David.
 
_David laughs morosely. Anathema runs over to Rosa
and offers her his arm. He leads her, half-dancing,
merrily whistling the same tune that the organ had
played._
 
ANATHEMA.
 
Oh, Rosa, were it not for my age (_whistles_) and not for my illness
(_whistles_), I would be the first to ask your hand.
 
ROSA.
 
_Laughing haughtily._
 
Better illness than death.
 
DAVID.
 
You are a very gay man, Nullius.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Whistling._
 
The absence of wealth and, then, a clear conscience, David, a clear
conscience. I have nothing to do, so I walk arm in arm with Rosa. You
spoke of death, Rosa?
 
ROSA.
 
Yes.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Stopping._
 
You are indeed beautiful, Rosa.
 
_Thoughtfully._
 
And what if.... If.... But no; duty above all. Listen to me, Rosa:
don't give yourself away to any one less than a prince, even though the
prince of darkness.
 
NAUM.
 
Rosochka, why did you go away from me? I feel cold when you do not hold
my hand. Hold my hand, Rosochka.
 
ROSA.
 
_Hesitating._
 
But I must go to change my dress, Naum.
 
NAUM.
 
I will accompany you as far as your room. You know, I danced again
to-day and danced very well. I am not so short of breath now any longer.
 
_With a feeling of adoration and slight envy._
 
How beautiful you are, Rosochka!
 
SARAH.
 
Wait, Rosochka, I will comb your hair myself. Will you allow me?
 
ROSA.
 
You do it very badly, mamma; you kiss it more than you comb it--my hair gets entangled from your kisses.

댓글 없음: