2015년 8월 6일 목요일

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 2

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 2



It is not true that I love you.... It is not true that I wanted to kiss
the hem of your cloak.... I feel sorry for you, if you believed me....
I simply have nothing to do, so I roam about in the world.... I have
nothing to do, so I question the passers-by about this and that,--about
things I know myself.... I know everything!
 
_He rises, shakes himself like a dog that has just
come out of the water, and choosing the highest
rock, stands up there in a haughty, actorlike pose._
 
I know everything. With my wisdom I have penetrated the meaning of all
things, the laws of numbers are known to me, and the book of Fates is
open to me. At one glance I embrace life, I am the axis in the circle
of time, which whirls rapidly. I am great, I am mighty, I am immortal,
and man is in my power. Who will dare struggle with the Devil? The
strong, I kill, and the weak I force to whirl about in an intoxicating
dance, a mad dance, a devilish dance. I have poisoned all the sources
of life, on all its roads I have built ambuscades.... Do you hear the
voice of those who curse? The voice of those who are exhausted under
the burden of evil? Of those who dare in vain? Of those who long
endlessly and terribly?
 
GUARDIAN.
 
I do.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Laughing._
 
The name! Call the name! Illumine the way for the Devil and for man.
All in the world want goodness, but know not where to find it; all in
the world want fife, but meet only death. The name! Call the name of
goodness, call the name of eternal life. I am waiting!
 
GUARDIAN.
 
There is no name for that which you ask, Anathema. There is no number
by which to count, no measure by which to measure, no scales by which
to weigh that which you ask, Anathema. Every one who has said the word,
Love, has lied. Every one who has said the word, Wisdom,--has lied. And
even he who has uttered the word, God,--has lied with the greatest and
most terrible lie. For there is no number, no measure, no scale, no
name for that which you ask, Anathema.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
Where shall I go? Tell me.
 
GUARDIAN.
 
Where you are going.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
What shall I do? Tell me.
 
GUARDIAN.
 
What you are doing.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
You speak through silence--can I understand the language of your
silence? Tell me.
 
GUARDIAN.
 
No. Never. My face is open, but you see it not. My speech is loud,
but you hear it not. My commands are clear, but you know them not,
Anathema. And you shall never see, and you shall never hear, and you
shall never know, Anathema, unfortunate spirit, deathless in numbers,
eternally alive in measures and in weights, but as yet unborn to life.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Tormented._
 
Never?
 
GUARDIAN.
 
Never.
 
_Anathema leaps down from the rocks, and tosses about madly, devoured
by grief. Clinging to the rocks, he embraces them tenderly and then
pushes them away angrily; he moans bitterly. He turns his face to West
and East, to North and South of the earth, flourishing his arms, as
if calling the earth to wrath and vengeance. But the grey rocks are
silent, West and East are silent, North and South are silent, and in
stern motionlessness, heavily leaning on his sword, stands the Guardian
of the Entrances._
 
ANATHEMA.
 
Rise, O Earth! Rise, O Earth, and gird your sword, O man. There will be
no peace between you and Heaven; the earth is becoming the abode of
darkness and death, and the Prince of Darkness ascends to his throne
upon it--from now on and forever. I am going to you, David. I will hurl
your sad life towards the proud heaven like a stone from a sling--and
the foundations of the high heavens will tremble. My slave, David! With
your lips I will proclaim the truth about the fate of man.
 
_He turns to the Guardian of the Entrances._
 
And you!...
 
_He becomes silent, bashfully, confused by the
Silence. He stretches himself lazily, as from
tediousness, and mutters in a voice loud enough to
be heard by the Guardian of the Entrances._
 
But am I not roaming about, because I have nothing to do? I have been
here, and now I shall go there. Are there not plenty of roads for the
gay Anathema, who is fond of healthy laughter and a carefree jest?
Six.... That means that I bring to David a fortune which he does not
expect.... Eight.... That means that David Leizer is healing the sick
and reviving the dead. Twenty.... Correct! That means ... That means
that David and I come to express our gratitude. David Leizer, the
great, the powerful, the immortal David Leizer and I.... I am going.
 
_Anathema departs._
 
_Silence. The rocks are silent; the mute Gates,
pressing the earth with their enormous weight, are
silent; the Guardian, petrified, is silent._
 
_Silence. But did not Anathema's footsteps awaken
an alarming, resounding echo? One, two--some heavy
steps are heard coming. It is like one footstep,
but many people are coming; they are silent, but
the silence is already quivering. A momentary
confusion of sounds, of helplessness and tremulous
outbursts, and suddenly the silence breaks out in
high yellow flames of fire: somewhere below, in
the invisible distance, on earth, long trumpets,
carried by hands uplifted high, are blaring in
rebellious, brasslike tones,--their defiant cry of
revolt is turned both to earth and to Heaven._
 
_One, two,--now it is clear that a crowd is moving;
its monstrous voice, its blended and separate sobs,
its noisy and stormy speech is heard; and below,
in the labyrinth from broken and dark passages,
the first distinct sound rings out: "Da-a-vid!" It
grows more distinct, rises higher, and now it soars
overhead_-_on the wings of this brass fanfare,
above the heavy stamping of the marching feet._
 
 
_"Da-a-vid! Da-a-a-vid! Da-a-a-vid!"_
 
_The sounds blend harmoniously. They become the
song of millions of people. The trumpets are
blaring, exhausted; they call hoarsely with their
brass voices--_
 
_Does the Guardian of the Entrances hear them? The
grey rocks are covered with moans; passionate sobs
rise to His feet, but the Guardian is motionless,
the Guardian is speechless, and the iron Gates are
mute._
 
_The abyss crashes._
 
_With one blow, as if splitting the earth, a brass
roar and shout breaks forth,--and out of the
fragments, like a spring from a rock that is split
by lightning, a soft, harmonious, bright melody
comes forth._
 
_Then it dies out._
 
_Silence. Immobility. Expectation, expectation,
expectation._
 
CURTAIN
 
 
 
 
ACT ONE
 
 
_The south of Russia. A hot summer midday. A wide road near the end
of a large, thickly populated city. Starting from the left corner of
the stage, the road crosses it diagonally, turning in the rear of the
stage to the right. Two high stone posts, of ancient construction,
dilapidated and slightly bent, indicate the boundary of the city. On
the side of the city line, at the right post, there is a deserted,
once yellow sentry-box, the plaster fallen of in spots and the windows
tightly boarded and nailed up. On the sides of the road there are
several small shops made of cheap wood, separated from one another
by narrow passages--in the desperate and ineffectual struggle for
existence the little shops seem to be clambering stupidly upon one
another. The people are dealing in all sorts of merchandise: candies,
sunflower seeds, cheap sausages, herrings; each shop has a small,
dirty counter, through which a pipe with two faucets stands out
prominently--one of them for soda-water, at a penny a glass,--the other
for seltzer. One of the little shops belongs to David Leizer; the
others--to the Greek Purikes, to the young Jewess Sonka Zitron, and to
the Russian, Ivan Bezkrainy, who, in addition to his business, mends
shoes and rubbers; he is the only one who has "real noblemen's" cider for sale._

댓글 없음: