2015년 8월 6일 목요일

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 1

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 1


Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes
 
Author: Leonid Andreyev
 
 
PROLOGUE.
_The scene represents a wild, deserted place, the slope of a mountain
rising to infinite heights. In the rear of the stage, halfway up the
mountain, huge iron gates, tightly closed, indicate the boundary of
the world as we conceive it. Beyond the iron gates, which oppress the
earth with their enormous weight, in silence and in mystery, dwells the
Beginning of every being, the Supreme Wisdom of the universe._
 
_At the foot of the Gates stands Someone guarding the entrances,
leaning upon a long sword, perfectly motionless. Garbed in wide
clothes, which are like stone in the motionlessness of their folds and
creases, He hides His face beneath a dark cover, and is Himself the
greatest of mysteries. Standing on the boundary separating two worlds,
he is dual in his make-up;--in appearance a man, in reality a spirit.
An arbitrator between two worlds, He is like unto a huge shield, which
gathers all bolts,--all looks, all entreaties, all expectations,
reproaches, and curses. The bearer of two elements, He wraps his speech
in silence, which is like the silence of the iron gates, and sometimes
in human words._
 
_Amidst the rocks, looking around on all sides strangely and shyly,
appears Anathema, someone accursed. Clinging to the grey rocks,
himself grey, cautious and flexible, like a serpent seeking a hole,
he goes stealthily and quietly to the Guardian of the Entrances,
desiring to strike him with an unexpected blow. But he is frightened
by his own audacity and, jumping to his feet, laughs defiantly and
maliciously. Then he sits down on a rock, with an air of freedom and
independence, and throws small cobblestones at the feet of the Guardian
of the Entrances;--cunning, he conceals his fear beneath the mask of
raillery and slight audacity. In the faint, grey, almost colorless
light, the head of the accursed one seems enormous; especially large
is his high forehead, which is furrowed by wrinkles of fruitless
reflections and unsolvable eternal problems. Anathema's thin beard is
perfectly grey; his hair, once jet black, is also greyish, rising on
his head in disordered tufts. Restless in his movements, he is vainly
trying to conceal his alarm and his purposeless haste, which are
forever devouring him. Endeavoring to emulate the proud stillness of
the Guardian of the Entrances, he grows quiet for an instant in the
pose of proud majesty, but the very next moment, in painful quest after
the eternally elusive, he wriggles in mute spasms, like a worm under
foot. And in his questions he is rapid and impetuous like a whirlwind,
drawing strength and fury in his mad whirl...._
 
* * * * *
 
ANATHEMA.
 
You are still here on guard? And I thought you were away,--even a
chained dog has his moments of rest or sleep, even though the whole
world be his kennel and Eternity his master! Is Eternity afraid of
thieves? But do not be angry. I have come to you as a good friend and
I implore humbly: Open the heavy Gates for an instant and allow me to
have a glimpse of Eternity. You dare not? But perhaps the mighty gates
have cracked from age, and the unfortunate, honest Anathema could peep
into the narrow cleft, without disturbing any one,--show me it with a
sign. Softly, on my belly, will I crawl over, I will glance at it and
crawl back,--and He will not know. But I shall know and become a God,
become a God, a God! I have so long wanted to become a God--and would I
be a poor God? Look!
 
_He assumes a haughty pose, but immediately bursts into laughter. Then
he sits down calmly on a flat rock and, folding his legs under him,
takes out dice. He mutters something to himself, yet loud enough to be
heard by the Guardian of the Entrances._
 
If you don't want to you need not do it,--I shall not fight with you.
Have I come here for that purpose? I simply roamed about the world and
came here by mere accident--I have nothing to do, so I roam about. And
now I am going to throw dice. If He were not so serious, I would have
invited Him, too,--but He is too proud, too proud, and He does not
understand the pleasure of the game. Six, eight, twenty--correct! It's
always correct when the Devil plays, even when he plays honestly....
David Leizer ... David Leizer ...
 
_Turning to the Guardian of the Entrances, he
speaks freely._
 
Do you know David Leizer? You surely do not know him. He is a sick and
foolish old Jew, whom no one knows, and even your Master has forgotten
about him. So says David Leizer, and I cannot help believing him--he is
a foolish, but honest man. He is the man I have won just now with my
dice--you saw it: six, eight, twenty.... One day I met David Leizer by
the seashore, when he was questioning what the waves were complaining
of; and I liked him. He is a foolish, but honest man, and if he should
be well tarred and lighted, he would make a brilliant torch for my
feast.
 
_Chatting with feigned ease, he steps over softly
to the rock nearest the Guardian._
 
No one knows David Leizer, but I shall make him famous, I shall make
him mighty and great--it is very possible that I shall even make him
immortal! You do not believe me? No one believes the wise Anathema,
even when he speaks the truth--and who loves the truth more than
Anathema does? Perhaps you? You silent dog, you who have stolen the
truth from the world, you who have barred the entrances with iron!...
 
_He rushes furiously toward the Guardian of the
Entrances, but retreats from the stern, motionless
Guardian, with a shriek of horror and pain. And he
speaks plaintively, falling with his grey chest
upon the grey rock._
 
Oh, the Devil's hair is grey! Weep, you who have grown fond of
Anathema! Wail and grieve, you who are striving toward Truth, who are
honoring wisdom--Anathema's hair is grey! Who will help the son of
Dawn? He is alone in the universe. Wherefore, O Great One, have you
frightened the fearless Anathema--he did not intend to strike you, he
only wanted to approach you. May I come over to you? Tell me.
 
_The Guardian of the Entrances is silent, but to
Anathema it seems that he hears something in the
silence. Outstretching his serpentine neck, he
shouts passionately_.
 
Louder! Louder! Are you silent, or did you speak? I do not understand.
The accursed one has a sensitive ear and discerns the shades of certain
words in your silence; he feels a vague movement of thoughts in your
motionlessness,--but he does not understand. Did you speak or are you
silent? Did you say: "Come," or did it only sound so to me?
 
THE GUARDIAN.
 
Come.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
You said it, but I dare not come up to you.
 
GUARDIAN.
 
Come.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
I am afraid.
 
_He advances toward the Guardian irresolutely,
in zigzag movements; lies down on his belly and
crawls, wailing with longing and fear._
 
Oh, I the prince of darkness, wise and powerful, and yet you see--I am
crawling on my belly like a dog. And I am doing it because I love you,
I want to kiss the hem of your cloak. But why does my old heart ache
so much? Tell me, Omniscient.
 
GUARDIAN.
 
The accursed one has no heart.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Advancing._
 
Yes, yes. The accursed has no heart, his chest is mute and motionless
like the grey rock which does not breathe. Oh, if Anathema had a heart,
you would have destroyed him long ago by his sufferings, even as you
destroy the foolish man. But Anathema has a mind that is searching for
the Truth, unprotected against your blows--spare it.... Here I am at
your feet, reveal your face to me. Only for an instant, as brief as the
flash of lightning,--reveal your face to me.
 
_He cringes servilely at the feet of the Guardian, not daring, however,
to touch his cloak. He is vainly endeavoring to lower his eyes, which
are quick and searching, sharp, flashing like coals beneath grey
ashes. The Guardian is silent and Anathema continues his fruitless and
persistent entreaties._
 
Do you not want to do it? Then call the name of Him who is beyond the
Gates. Call it in a soft voice, and no one will hear it; only I will
know it, the wise Anathema, longing for Truth. Is it not true that
it consists of seven letters? Or of six? Or of one? Tell me. Only one
letter--and you will save the accursed one from eternal tortures, and
the earth, which I am tearing with my nails, will bless you. You may
say it softly, softly, you may only breathe it, and I shall understand
it, and I shall bless you.... Tell me.
 
_The Guardian is silent, and Anathema, after some
hesitation, full of fury, crawls away slowly, growing holder with every step._

댓글 없음: