2015년 8월 6일 목요일

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 6

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 6



ANATHEMA.
 
_With self-satisfaction._
 
Yes. I have a large practice--I am a lawyer.
 
SARAH.
 
_Quickly._
 
David has no debts.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
Oh, I haven't come for that at all, madam Leizer. When you know me
better, you will see that I bring, but do not take, that I make gifts,
but do not take them back.
 
SARAH.
 
_With fear._
 
Do you come from God?
 
ANATHEMA.
 
It would be too much honor for me and for you, madam Leizer, if I came
from God. No, I have come of my own accord.
 
_Naum comes over, looks at the customer with
amazement, and sits down, exhausted, upon a rock.
Naum is a tall, thin young man, with a narrow chest
and a large, pale nose. He looks around on all
sides._
 
NAUM.
 
Where is Rosa?
 
SARAH.
 
_In a whisper._
 
Not so loud,--she is there. (_Aloud._) Well, hew was it, Naum? Did you
get any credit?
 
NAUM.
 
_Slowly._
 
No, mother, I did not get any credit. I am beginning to die,
mother,--everybody feels hot, while I am very cold; and I am
perspiring, but my perspiration is cold. I met Sonka--Ruzya died
already.
 
SARAH.
 
You will live yet, Naum, you will live yet.
 
NAUM.
 
_Slowly._
 
Yes, I will live yet. Why isn't father coming? It is time for him to be
here.
 
SARAH.
 
Clean a herring, Rosa. This gentleman is waiting for David a long time
already, and David isn't here.
 
NAUM.
 
What does he want?
 
SARAH.
 
I don't know, Naum. Since he came, I suppose it was necessary.
 
_Silence._
 
NAUM.
 
Mother, I am not going for credit any more. I will go with father to
the sea. The time has come when I must go and ask God about my fate.
 
SARAH.
 
Do not ask Him, Naum, do not ask.
 
NAUM.
 
I will ask Him.
 
SARAH.
 
_Entreatingly._
 
Don't do it, Naum, don't ask.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
Why not, madam Leizer? Do you fear that God will give him a bad answer?
You should have more faith, madam Leizer. If David heard you, he would
not approve your words.
 
ORGAN-GRINDER.
 
_Raising his head._
 
Is it you, young man, who wants to speak to God?
 
NAUM.
 
Yes, it is I. Every man can speak with God.
 
ORGAN-GRINDER.
 
Do you think so? Then ask for a new organ. Tell Him that this one is
screeching.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Compassionately._
 
He might add that the monkey was eaten up by the fleas--that he needs a
new monkey.
 
_He laughs. All look at him in perplexity; the
organ-grinder rises and takes up his organ
silently._
 
SARAH.
 
What do you want to do, musician?
 
ORGAN-GRINDER.
 
I want to play.
 
SARAH.
 
What for? We don't need any music.
 
ORGAN-GRINDER.
 
I must thank you for your kindness.
 
_He plays something weird: the organ screeches,
breaks off, wheezes. Anathema, with eyes lifted
dreamily to the sky, keeps time with his hand, and
whistles._
 
SARAH.
 
My God, how badly it sounds.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
This, madam Leizer (_whistles_),--this is called the world harmony.
 
_The conversation dies away for some time: only
the screeching of the organ and the whistling
of Anathema are heard. The sun is still shining
mercilessly._
 
ANATHEMA.
 
I have nothing to do, so I wander over the world.
 
_He is carried away by the playing of the organ. Suddenly the organ
breaks off with a screech, which rings in the ears for a long time, and
Anathema remains as petrified with uplifted hand._
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Perplexedly._
 
Does it always end like this?
 
ORGAN-GRINDER.
 
Sometimes even worse. Good-by.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Feeling his vest pocket._
 
No, no, you mustn't go away like that.... You have afforded us genuine
pleasure, and I do not want you to hang yourself. Here is some change for you, and live on.

댓글 없음: