2015년 8월 6일 목요일

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 7

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 7


SARAH.
 
_Pleasantly surprised._
 
Who could ever think, by looking at your face, that you are such a
cheerful and kind-hearted man?
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Flattered._
 
Oh, do not embarrass me with your praise, madam Leizer. Why shouldn't
I help a poor man who would otherwise hang himself! The life of man is
a precious thing, madam Leizer,--and I always carry change with me....
But isn't that venerable man I see there David Leizer?
 
_He looks in the direction where the road turns to
the right._
 
SARAH.
 
_Also looking at the road._
 
Yes, that is David.
 
_All wait silently. On the dust-covered road
appears David Leizer, walking slowly. He is tall,
bony, with long, grey locks and a grey beard; on
his head he wears a high, black cap; in his hand a
staff with which he seems to measure the road. He
looks down from under his heavy eyebrows; and thus,
without lifting his eyes, he advances slowly and
seriously to the people, and stops, leaning upon
the staff with both hands._
 
SARAH.
 
_Rising respectfully._
 
Where were you, David?
 
DAVID.
 
_Not lifting his eyes._
 
I was by the sea.
 
SARAH.
 
What did you do there, David?
 
DAVID.
 
I looked at the waves, Sarah, and asked them whence they came and
whither they were going. I was thinking of life, Sarah--whence it came
and whither it is going....
 
SARAH.
 
What did the waves tell you, David?
 
DAVID.
 
They did not tell me anything, Sarah.... They come and go away again,
and the man by the sea is waiting in vain for an answer from the sea.
 
SARAH.
 
With whom did you speak, David?
 
DAVID.
 
I spoke with God, Sarah. I asked Him about the fate of David Leizer,
the poor Jew who is going to die soon.
 
SARAH.
 
_With emotion._
 
And what did God tell you?
 
_David is silent, his eyes lowered._
 
SARAH.
 
Our son Naum also wants to go with you to the sea and ask about his
fate.
 
DAVID.
 
_Lifting his eyes._
 
Is Naum going to die soon?
 
NAUM.
 
Yes, father,--I have already commenced to die.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
But, pardon me, gentlemen.... Why should you speak of death, since I
have brought you life and happiness?
 
DAVID.
 
_Turning his head to him._
 
Do you come from God? Sarah, who is he who dares to speak like this?
 
SARAH.
 
I don't know. He has been waiting for you a long time.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Bustling about joyously._
 
Oh, ladies and gentlemen, smile. Attention for one minute and I will
make you all laugh. Attention, gentlemen. Attention!
 
_All look with tense attention at Anathema's mouth._
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Taking out a paper, solemnly._
 
Are you not David Leizer, the son of Abraham Leizer?
 
LEIZER.
 
_Frightened._
 
Well, yes, I am. But there may be another David Leizer. I don't
know--ask the people.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Interrupting him with a gesture._
 
Didn't you have a brother, Moses Leizer, who fled to America
thirty-five years ago on the Italian steamship _Fortuna?_
 
ALL.
 
Yes, he did.
 
DAVID.
 
But I did not know that he was in America.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
David Leizer, your brother Moses died!
 
_Silence._
 
DAVID.
 
I have long forgiven him.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
And before he died he bequeathed all his fortune, amounting to two
million dollars (_to the people surrounding him_), which means four
million roubles,--to you, David Leizer.
 
_A deep sigh goes through the crowd and all seem as
petrified._
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Outstretching the paper._
 
Here is the document, you see--the seal.
 
DAVID.
 
_Pushing the paper aside._
 
No, don't! Don't do that! You were not sent by God. God would not make
sport of man in this way.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Heartily._
 
This is not a jest. Upon my honor, it is the truth,--four millions.
Allow me to be the first to congratulate you and to shake your honest
hand warmly. (_Takes David Leizer's hand and shakes it._) Well, madam
Leizer, what have I brought you? And what will you say now? Is your
daughter Rosa beautiful now or is she ugly? Aha! Are you going to die
so soon, Naum? Aha! (_Tearfully_.) That's what I have brought you,
people, and now permit me to step aside--and not to disturb you--
 
_Lifts a handkerchief to his eyes and steps aside,
apparently agitated._
 
SARAH.
 
_Wildly._
 
Rosa!
 
ROSA.
 
_Also wildly._
 
What is it, mamma?
 
SARAH.

댓글 없음: