2016년 2월 25일 목요일

Spacemen Die at Home 1

Spacemen Die at Home 1



Spacemen Die at Home
Author: Edward W. Ludwig
One man's retreat is another's prison ... and
it takes a heap of flying to make a hulk a home!
 
 
Forty days of heaven and forty nights of hell. That's the way it's
been, Laura. But how can I make you understand? How can I tell you
what it's like to be young and a man and to dream of reaching the
stars? And yet, at the same time, to be filled with a terrible, gnawing
fear--a fear locked in my mind during the day and bursting out like an
evil jack-in-the-box at night. I must tell you, Laura.
 
Perhaps if I start at the beginning, the very beginning....
 
It was the Big Day. All the examinations, the physicals and psychos,
were over. The Academy, with its great halls and classrooms and
laboratories, lay hollow and silent, an exhausted thing at sleep after
spawning its first-born.
 
For it was June in this year of 1995, and we were the graduating class
of the U. S. Academy of Interplanetary Flight.
 
The _first_ graduating class, Laura. That's why it was so important,
because we were the _first_.
 
We sat on a little platform, twenty-five of us. Below us was a beach
of faces, most of them strange, shining like pebbles in the warm New
Mexican sunlight. They were the faces of mothers and fathers and
grandparents and kid brothers and sisters--the people who a short time
ago had been only scrawled names on letters from home or words spoken
wistfully at Christmas. They were the memory-people who, to me, had
never really existed.
 
But today they had become real, and they were here and looking at us
with pride in their eyes.
 
A voice was speaking, deep, sure, resonant. "... these boys have worked
hard for six years, and now they're going to do a lot of big things.
They're going to bring us the metals and minerals that we desperately
need. They're going to find new land for our colonists, good rich land
that will bear food and be a home for our children. And perhaps most
important of all, they'll make other men think of the stars and look up
at them and feel humility--for mankind needs humility."
 
The speaker was Robert Chandler, who'd brought the first rocket down on
Mars just five years ago, who'd established the first colony there, and
who had just returned from his second hop to Venus.
 
Instead of listening to his words, I was staring at his broad shoulders
and his dark, crew-cut hair and his white uniform which was silk-smooth
and skin-tight. I was worshiping him and hating him at the same time,
for I was thinking:
 
_He's already reached Mars and Venus. Let him leave Jupiter and the
others alone! Let us be the first to land somewhere! Let us be the
first!_
 
* * * * *
 
Mickey Cameron, sitting next to me, dug an elbow into my ribs. "I don't
see 'em, Ben," he whispered. "Where do you suppose they are?"
 
I blinked. "Who?"
 
"My folks."
 
That was something I didn't have to worry about. My parents had died in
a strato-jet crash when I was four, so I hadn't needed many of those
"You are cordially invited" cards. Just one, which I'd sent to Charlie
Taggart.
 
Stardust Charlie, we called him, although I never knew why. He was a
veteran of Everson's first trip to the Moon nearly twenty-five years
ago, and he was still at it. He was Chief Jetman now on the _Lunar
Lady_, a commercial ore ship on a shuttle between Luna City and White
Sands.
 
I remembered how, as a kid, I'd pestered him in the Long Island
Spaceport, tagging after him like a puppy, and how he'd grown to like
me until he became father, mother, and buddy all in one to me. And I
remembered, too, how his recommendation had finally made me a cadet.
 
My gaze wandered over the faces, but I couldn't find Charlie's. It
wasn't surprising. The _Lunar Lady_ was in White Sands now, but
liberties, as Charlie said, were as scarce as water on Mars.
 
_It doesn't matter_, I told myself.
 
Then Mickey stiffened. "I see 'em, Ben! There in the fifth row!"
 
Usually Mickey was the same whether in a furnace-hot engine room or a
garden party, smiling, accepting whatever the world offered. But now a
tenseness and an excitement had gripped even him. I was grateful that
he was beside me; we'd been a good team during those final months at
the Academy and I knew we'd be a good team in space. The Universe was
mighty big, but with two of us to face it together, it would be only
half as big.
 
And then it seemed that all the proud faces were looking at us as if we
were gods. A shiver went through my body. Though it was daytime, I saw
the stars in my mind's vision, the great shining balls of silver, each
like a voice crying out and pleading to be explored, to be touched by
the sons of Earth.
 
_They expect a lot from us. They expect us to make a new kind of
civilization and a better place out of Earth. They expect all this and
a hell of a lot more. They think there's nothing we can't do._
 
I felt very small and very humble. I was scared. Damned scared.
 
* * * * *
 
At last it was over, and the proud faces descended upon us in a huge,
babbling wave.
 
Then I saw him. Good old Stardust Charlie.
 
His wizened little body was shuffling down an aisle, his eyes shining
like a child's. He'd been sandwiched, evidently, in one of the rear
rows.
 
But he wasn't the Charlie I'd seen a year ago. He'd become gaunt and
old, and he walked with an unnatural stiffness. He looked so old that
it was hard to believe he'd once been young.
 
He scratched his mop of steel-gray hair and grinned.
 
"You made it, boy," he chortled, "and by Jupiter, we'll celebrate
tonight. Yes, siree, I got twenty-four hours, and we'll celebrate as
good spacemen should!"
 
Then Mickey strode up to us. He was his normal, boyish self again,
walking lightly, his blond, curly-haired skull swaying as if in rhythm
with some silent melody.
 
And you, Laura, were with him.
 
"Meet the Brat," he said. "My sister Laura."
 
I stared almost rudely. You were like a doll lost in the immensity
of your fluffy pink dress. Your hair was long and transformed into a
golden froth where sunlight touched it. But your eyes were the eyes
of a woman, glowing like dark stars and reflecting a softness, a
gentleness that I'd never seen in eyes before.
 
"I'm happy to meet you, Ben," you said. "I've heard of no one else for
the past year."
 
A tide of heat crept up from my collar. I stuttered through an
introduction of Charlie.
 
You and Mickey looked strangely at Charlie, and I realized that old
Stardust was not a cadet's notion of the ideal spaceman. Charlie
scorned the skin-tight uniforms of the government service and wore a
shiny black suit that was a relic of Everson's early-day Moon Patrol.
His tie was clumsily knotted, and a button on his coat was missing.
 
And the left side of his face was streaked with dark scar tissue, the
result of an atomic blowup on one of the old Moon ships. I was so
accustomed to the scars, I was seldom aware of them; but others, I
knew, would find them ugly.
 
You were kind. You shook hands and said, softly: "It's a privilege to
meet you, Charlie. Just think--one of Everson's men, one of the first
to reach the Moon!"
 
Charlie gulped helplessly, and Mickey said: "Still going to spend the
weekend with us, aren't you, Ben?"
 
I shook my head. "Charlie has only twenty-four hours liberty. We're
planning to see the town tonight."
 
"Why don't you both come with us?" you asked. "Our folks have their
own plane, so it would be no problem. And we've got a big guest room.
Charlie, wouldn't you like a home-cooked meal before going back to the
Moon?"
 
Charlie's answer was obscured by a sudden burst of coughing. I knew
that he'd infinitely prefer to spend his liberty sampling Martian
fizzes and Plutonian zombies.But this night seemed too sacred for Charlie's kind of celebration.
      "We'd really like to come," I said.  

댓글 없음: