2015년 8월 6일 목요일

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 16

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 16


SARAH.
 
I hear, Abraham, I hear everything. But I hear no longer the voice of
Naum who died; I hear no longer the voice of Rosa. Old man, you have
wandered much over the world, and you know even the people that do not
resemble us,--have you not met on the road a beautiful girl, the most
beautiful of all girls on earth?
 
BEZKRAINY.
 
She had a daughter, Rosa, a beautiful girl, she ran away from home
because she would not give up her share to the poor. Did she take much
money along with her, Sarah?
 
SARAH.
 
Can there be such a thing as too much money for Rosa? You may as well
say that there are too many diamonds in the Czar's crown and too many
rays in the sun.
 
WANDERER.
 
No, I have not seen your daughter: I am traveling along the highways,
and there you can see neither the rich nor the beautiful.
 
SARAH.
 
But perhaps you have seen people gathered, talking enthusiastically
about a certain beautiful girl? That is my daughter, old man.
 
WANDERER.
 
No, I have not seen such people. But I have seen other people gathered,
speaking about David Leizer, who is distributing bread and happiness.
Is it true that your David has healed a woman who was suffering from an
incurable disease and was already dying?
 
KHESSIN.
 
_Smiling._
 
No, that is not true.
 
WANDERER.
 
Is it true that David restored sight to a man who was blind from the
day of his birth?
 
KHESSIN.
 
_Shaking his head._
 
No, that is not true. Some one has been deceiving the people who do
not resemble us. Only God can perform miracles--David Leizer is only a
kind-hearted and worthy man, such as all men who have not forgotten God
should be.
 
PURIKES.
 
It is not true, Abraham Khessin. David is not an ordinary man, and he
possesses a superhuman power. I know it.
 
_The crowd that surrounded them is eagerly
listening to Purikes._
 
PURIKES.
 
I saw with my own eyes, how the one we regarded as a customer came upon
the deserted, sunny road, but he was not a customer. I saw with my own
eyes how he touched David with his hand, and David started to speak so
terribly that I could not listen to him. Do you remember it, Ivan?
 
BEZKRAINY.
 
That's true. David is not an ordinary man.
 
SONKA.
 
Does an ordinary man throw money at people, like stones at a dog? Does
an ordinary man go to weep over the grave of another's child, whom he
did not bring forth, whom he did not fondle, and whom he did not bury
when death came?
 
WOMAN.
 
_With child in her arms._
 
David is not an ordinary man. Who ever saw an ordinary man who was
more a mother to a child than his own mother? Who hides behind the
bed-curtain and watches how other people's children are eating, and who
weeps for joy at the sight of them? Of whom even the tiniest children
are not afraid, and they play with his venerable beard as with the
beard of their grandfather? Did not the stupid little Rubin tear out a
tuft of grey hair from David Leizer's venerable beard? Did David grow
angry? Did he cry out for pain, did he stamp his feet? No, he began to
laugh as if overcome with happiness, and he cried as though for joy.
 
DRUNKARD.
 
David is not an ordinary man. He is a queer fellow. I said to him:
"Why do you give me money? It is true, I am barefooted and unwashed,
but do not think that I will buy boots and soap for the money you give
me. I'll spend it on drink in the nearest dram-shop." That's what I
had to tell him, for although I am a drunkard, I am an honest man. And
the queer David answered me jestingly, like a good-natured lunatic:
"Semyon, if it pleases you to drink, please drink,--I have not come to
teach the people but to bring them joy."
 
OLD JEW.
 
There are many teachers, but there is none to bring them joy. May God
bless David who brings joy to mankind.
 
BEZKRAINY.
 
_To the drunkard._
 
So you didn't buy any boots, did you?
 
DRUNKARD.
 
No, I am an honest man.
 
VIOLINIST.
 
_In despair._
 
Well, tell me all, you who have any conscience: Is this the kind of
music that should greet him who brings joy to mankind? I am ashamed
that I have gotten together such a poor orchestra, and I would rather
die than disgrace myself before David.
 
SARAH.
 
_To the organ-grinder._
 
Will you also play? You have such a fine organ now that even angels
might dance to your music.
 
ORGAN-GRINDER.
 
I will.
 
SARAH.
 
But why have you no monkey?
 
ORGAN-GRINDER.
 
I couldn't find a good monkey. All the monkeys I have seen are either
old, or mean, or altogether untalented, and are even unable to catch
fleas. The fleas have already destroyed one of my monkeys, and I don't
want another monkey destroyed that way. A monkey needs talent, just
like a man,--it isn't enough to have a tail, even to be a monkey.
 
_The wanderer is questioning Khessin in a low
voice._
 
WANDERER.
 
Tell me the truth, Jew: I was sent here by my people, and I walked
many miles on my old legs, under the mercilessly scorching sun, for
the purpose of learning the truth. Who is this David who brings joy to
mankind. Let it be as you say that he does not heal the sick....
 
KHESSIN.
 
It is a sin and an offence against God to think that a human being can
heal.
 
WANDERER.
 
Be it so. But is it not true that Leizer wants to build an enormous
palace of white stone and blue glass and gather together all the poor
of the world there?
 
KHESSIN.
 
_In embarrassment._
 
I do not know. Is it possible to build such a large palace?
 
WANDERER.
 
_With conviction._

댓글 없음: