2015년 8월 6일 목요일

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 17

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 17


It is possible. Is it true that he wants to take away the power from
the rich and bestow it upon the poor? (_In a whisper._) And to take the
power from those who rule, the might from those who are in command,
and distribute it among all the people on earth, giving an equal share
to each of them?
 
KHESSIN.
 
I do not know
 
_Timidly._
 
You frighten me, old man.
 
WANDERER.
 
_Looking around cautiously._
 
And is it true that he has already sent heralds to the black people
that they, too, shall prepare themselves to accept the new kingdom, for
he wants to bestow the power equally upon the black as upon the white,
giving to each one according to his desire.
 
(_In a mysterious whisper._)
 
In accordance with justice.
 
_On the road appears David Leizer, walking slowly;
in his right hand, a staff; Anathema is holding
his left arm reverently. There is agitation and
confusion among the waiting crowd: the musicians
rush for their instruments; the women pick up their
children quickly. They shout: "He's coming! He's
coming!" They call: "Moishe, Petya, Sarah!"_
 
WANDERER.
 
And is it true....
 
KHESSIN.
 
Ask him. Here he is coming.
 
_Noticing the crowd, Anathema stops David, who is
absorbed in thought, and he points triumphantly
to the people. Thus they stand for some time:
David with his grey head thrown back, and Anathema
clinging close to him. Anathema whispers something
in David's ear and keeps on pointing with his left
hand. Leibke, bustling about desperately, gets
his orchestra together and they begin to play a
lively wild tune which is as discordant as the
fluttering parti-colored rags. Shouting, laughter,
the children are rushing forward, some one is
crying; many people are outstretching their hands
prayerfully to David. Then David moves forward
amidst this chaos of lively sounds. The crowd makes
room for him to pass; many throw branches and twigs
on the ground and spread their clothes before him;
women tear of their head-dress and throw it at
his feet on the dusty road. Thus he walks over to
Sarah, who rises and welcomes him together with the
other women. The music stops. But David is silent.
Confusion._
 
KHESSIN.
 
Why are you silent, David? The people you have made happy are greeting
you and spreading their clothing before you on the ground, for their
love is great and their hearts cannot comprise all their joy. Say a
word to them--they are waiting.
 
_David remains standing, with lowered eyes; with
both hands he is leaning on his staff; his face is
stern and serious. Anathema looks at him, over his
shoulder, with alarm._
 
ANATHEMA.
 
They are waiting for you, David. Say unto them a word of joy and calm
their love.
 
_David is silent._
 
WOMAN.
 
Why are you silent, David? You frighten us. Are you not the David who
brings joy to mankind?
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Impatiently._
 
Speak, David. Their agitated ears are waiting for a word of joy and by
your silence, which is like the dumbness of the rock, you crush their
soul to the earth. Speak!
 
DAVID.
 
_Lifting his eyes and surveying the crowd sternly._
 
Wherefore these honors and the noise of voices, and the music which
plays so loudly? To whom do you render honors worthy of a prince or of
one who has performed a great deed? Is it before me, before a poor old
man who must die soon, that you spread out your clothes upon the ground?
What have I done to deserve your delight and exultation, to force tears
of senseless joy from your eyes? I gave you money and bread--but that
was the money of the Uppermost, it came from Him and went back to Him
through you. The only thing I have done was not to hide the money like
a thief, I did not become a plunderer, like those who have forgotten
God. Do I speak properly, Nullius?
 
ANATHEMA.
 
No, David, no. Your speech is not worthy of a wise man and it does not
come forth from the lips of a humble man.
 
OLD MAN.
 
Bread without love is like grass without salt,--the stomach may
be filled, but it leaves a bad taste in the mouth, and a bitter
recollection.
 
DAVID.
 
Have I forgotten anything, Nullius? Remind me, my friend: I am old and
my eyesight is poor, but do I not see musicians there, Nullius? Tell
me! Do I not see flags as red as the tongues of crows over my head?
Tell me, Nullius.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
You have forgotten the people, David. You do not see the children,
David Leizer.
 
DAVID.
 
The children?
 
_The women, weeping, hold out their children to
David._
 
VOICES.
 
"Bless my son, David!" ... "Touch my little girl with your hand,
David." "Bless." ... "Touch her with your hand." ...
 
DAVID.
 
_Raising his hands heavenward._
 
Oh, Hannah, oh, Benjamin, oh, Raphael, and my little Moishe!...
 
_Looks down, outstretching his arms to the
children._
 
DAVID.
 
Oh, my little birds who died on the naked branches of the winter!...
Oh, children, my children, little children, tiny children!...
Well, Nullius, am I not weeping? Am I not weeping, Nullius? Well,
let everybody weep. Let the musicians play, Nullius--I understand
everything now. Oh, children, little children, I gave you all, I gave
you my old heart, I gave you my sorrow and my joy--Did I not give them
all my soul, Nullius?
 
_Crying and laughing through tears._
 
You have again wrenched my soul from the jaws of sin, Nullius. On the
day of rejoicing I appeared mournful before the people, on the day of
the people's exultation I did not raise my eyes to Heaven, but lowered
them to the ground,--bad old man that I am. Whom did I want to deceive
with my insincerity? Do I not live by day and night in raptures of
joy, and do I not draw love and happiness with full hands? Why have I
feigned sadness?... I do not know your name, woman; give me your child,
the one that is laughing when everybody is crying, because he alone is
sensible.
 
_Smiling through tears._
 
Or are you perhaps afraid that I will steal it like a gypsy?
 
_The woman kneels and holds out her child._
 
WOMAN.
 
Take it, David! Everything belongs to you,--we and our children.
 
SECOND WOMAN.
 
Take mine, too, David!
 
THIRD WOMAN.
 
Mine, mine!
 
DAVID.
 
_Takes the child and presses it to his breast,
covering it with his grey beard._
 
Hush!... It's my beard! Oh, what a terrible beard! But never fear, my
little one, press to me more closely and laugh--you are the wisest of
all. Sarah, my wife, come over here.
 
SARAH.
 
_Weeping._
 
I am here.
 
DAVID.

댓글 없음: