2015년 8월 6일 목요일

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 18

Anathema A Tragedy in Seven Scenes 18


Let us step aside for a while. Woman, I will return the child to you,
I will only hold it for a while.... Come, Sarah, let us step aside.
Before you I am not ashamed to cry, be they tears of sorrow or tears
of joy.
 
_They step aside and cry softly. Only their
stooping backs are seen, and David's red
handkerchief with which he wipes his eyes, and the
tear-stained face of the child._
 
VOICES.
 
Hush! hush! They are crying. Don't disturb their crying. Hush! hush!
 
_Anathema, on tiptoe, whispers: "Hush, hush!" Then
he goes over to the musicians and speaks to them in
a low voice, conducting with his hand. Little by
little the noise grows louder. Bezkrainy, Purikes,
and Sonka are waiting, holding filled glasses in
their hands._
 
DAVID.
 
_Returns and wipes his eyes with his kerchief._
 
Here is your child, woman. We don't like him at all, do we, Sarah?
 
SARAH.
 
_Weeping._
 
We have no children any longer, David.
 
DAVID.
 
_Smiling._
 
No, no, Sarah! But are not all the children in the world our children?
He has no children who has three, six, or even twelve, but not he who
knows not their number.
 
SONKA.
 
Drink a glass of soda-water, honorable David Leizer--it is your water.
 
PURIKES.
 
Drink a glass of mine, David,--this will bring me customers.
 
BEZKRAINY.
 
Drink a glass of noblemen's cider, David. Now it is real noblemen's
cider. I can say it frankly; with your money everything is becoming
real.
 
SARAH.
 
_Through tears._
 
I have always told you that your cider was bad, Ivan. And now, when it
is real cider, you do not offer it to me.
 
BEZKRAINY.
 
Oh, Sarah....
 
DAVID.
 
She is jesting, Ivan. Thank you, but I cannot drink so much,--I will
taste everybody's. It's very, very good water, Sonka. You have
discovered the secret and you will soon grow rich.
 
SONKA.
 
I put a little more soda into the water, David.
 
WANDERER.
 
_To Anathema, in a law voice._
 
Is it true--you are a close friend of David Leizer's, and you can tell
it to me--is it true that he wants to build--
 
ANATHEMA.
 
Why so loud? Let us step aside.
 
_They speak in a whisper. Anathema shakes his head
negatively. He is truthful. He smiles and pats the
old man on the shoulder. The old man evidently does
not believe him. Then Anathema gradually leads the
musicians away, also the Organ-grinder and the
people beyond the stone pillars. Only the sound of
their voices, their exclamations, their laughter
are heard. A few remain and speak with David
reverently._
 
KHESSIN.
 
Is it true, David, that you and Sarah are going to Jerusalem, to the
Holy City, of which we can only dream?
 
DAVID.
 
Yes, it is true, Abraham. Although I am stronger now and I feel no
longer any pain in my chest--
 
KHESSIN.
 
But that is a miracle, David!
 
DAVID.
 
Joy restores health, Abraham, and the serving of God strengthens a man.
But after all, Sarah and I cannot live much longer, and we should like
to rest our eyes upon the wonderful beauty of God's land. But why do
you address me as a stranger, old friend? Have you not yet forgiven me?
 
KHESSIN.
 
_Frightened._
 
Oh, do not say that, David! If you were to tell me: Call me "thou" or
kill yourself, I would rather kill myself, but would not say "thou" to
you. You are not an ordinary man, David.
 
DAVID.
 
I am not an ordinary man. I am a happy man. But where is the gay man
Nullius? I don't see him. I suppose he is preparing some prank or
another--I know him. There is a man who does not darken the face of the
earth with gloom, Abraham, who is never averse to laughter, which is to
life like dew upon grass, and which sparkles in many colors in the rays
of the sun. Of course he is playing his pranks; do you hear?
 
_Music is playing beyond the pillars; the organ,
together with the orchestra, is playing the
same tune it had played before. The sounds are
discordant, somewhat wild, but strangely gay.
Together with the music the crowd appears in a
solemn procession. At the head of the procession,
side by side with the Organ-grinder, walks
Anathema, as if dancing. He carries the organ on a
strap and turns the handle with one hand, keeping
time with the other hand, whistling shrilly, and
casting glances on all sides and skyward. The
musicians and the poor, now gay, follow him.
On passing David, Anathema bends his head toward him
and keeps on playing and whistling. David, smiling,
nods his head and adjusts his grey, long beard. The
procession disappears._
 
SARAH.
 
_With emotion._
 
What beautiful music! How fine, how solemn, David! David, is all this
for you?
 
DAVID.
 
For us, Sarah.
 
SARAH.
 
What am I? I can only love our children. But you, but you--
 
_With certain fear._
 
You are not an ordinary man, David.
 
DAVID.
 
_Smiling._
 
So, so.... Well, what am I, then,--a governor?
 
Or, perhaps, a general?
 
SARAH.
 
Do not make light of this, David. You are not an ordinary man.
 
_The Wanderer, who stood near by all the time and
saw the solemn procession, now listens to Sarah's
words and nods his head. Anathema, gay, somewhat
out of breath, appears._
 
ANATHEMA.
 
How was it, David? I think it was not bad. They marched very
well--better than I expected. Only that stupid trumpet.
 
_Dancing, he passes David again, whistling. Then he
bursts into laughter._
 
DAVID.
 
_Good-naturedly._
 
Yes, Nullius. The music was very good. I never before heard such fine
music. I thank you, Nullius,--you have afforded great pleasure to the
people by your gayety.
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_To the Wanderer._
 
Did you like it, old man?
 
WANDERER.
 
I liked it fairly well. But what will happen when all the nations on
earth will bend at the feet of David Leizer?
 
ANATHEMA.
 
_Astonished._
 
What is he saying, Nullius?

댓글 없음: